Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

I read it as a young lad and this and the sex toy fuckin are pretty much all I remember

I feel like the prostitution subplot will be one of the big point of divergence. There's the kernel of something interesting to it, but in the book it doesn't really amount to much more than a steady stream of silly sex euphemisms and fetishistic descriptions of pretty petite Japanese ladies. I also wonder if they'll kill Mariko near the end or if that will be changed too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Can anyone who is old and remembers the 1980 version recount what it was like and how it compares? One thing I’m hearing is that it laid on Japanese stereotypes pretty hard, so much that Japanese audiences groaned over it

The Japanese reception was also to some degree due to the way Japanese audiences had soured on Samurai media. Kurosawa was also unfashionable at the time.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'm kind of impressed that they're doing the subplot that in the book is 85% weird sex euphemisms and Clavell's hangups and fetishes about Asian women at all... and somehow making it work.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I was refreshing myself with passages from the book, and at least in one scene in the second half, Ishido is described as "tall, lean and autocratic".

From memory isn't book Toranaga the short and fat one

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Teek posted:

Can't wait for Shogun 2: Shogun Harder.

Enjoyed the show over all, but in hindsight, it did seem to be more plotted like there was a season 2. Side events and characters that somewhat tied in to the show's themes, but also felt a bit perfunctory in the totality.

I wouldn't mind a 2 or 3 part miniseries covering the battle of Sekigahara, with the Shogun cast in reduced roles, and an ensemble of new characters we follow through the event. Battle Epics are cool. We don't get enough of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Burns posted:

Flop or not Waterloo is still a great flick. We likely wont get 20k soviets but you dont really need that many dudes nowadays anyway.

The Mosfilm YouTube channel has the director's four film War and Peace cycle and the Battle of Borodino installment is even more impressive