Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

OK I think I might be blind because I couldn't tell if that was a landslide or a tsunami that hit the army encampment after the earthquake.

I have vivid memories of the old miniseries from when I was a kid. Have to say that I like the new one a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You always have to sacrifice to make something even remotely filmable, like Apollo 13 being pretty much right but also having to do plenty of "this guy was actually a team of 30."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Collateral posted:

They didn't have the benefit of 60+ years of Japanese cultural media and the internet. Shogun was wildly popular in its day, because it was the first experience of Japan (outside of the recent war) that most of its readers had access to.

They also had The Chrysanthemum and the Sword.

So yeah just things pieced together from WWII and Shogun.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

China and Japan had found out around that time. The shape of the Earth was a curious blind spot in Chinese science, despite their astronomical work.

It wasn't until Jesuits turned up in the decades immediately before the story that they'd gained that knowledge.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Shishkahuben posted:

I'm curious if that particular claim might have gotten a "yeah no poo poo, where have you been?" or "well that's obvious nonsense, he's lying about the route he took" if that had been the big takeaway (under other circumstances, I mean - "your enemies are conspiring against you" was the more immediate concern)

This reminds me of an anecdote I heard like 23 years ago from Afghanistan. After the US went in, this journalist was talking to some of the anti-Taliban fighters the US was working alongside. This younger soldier wanted to know what had changed that brought the Americans to fight. The journalist explained how bin Laden had attacked and all that, but he used the phrase "other side of the world." The Afghan guy was like "what do you mean, other side?" That led into a description of the size and shape of the world, which stunned the journalist that someone wouldn't know those things. The soldier took it in with a general Holmesian "I never needed to know and it doesn't really change my immediate task."

I could see Toranaga thinking like that. Does it really matter how far Anjin came from or what shape the world is? It doesn't matter if he's right or wrong. What does matter is whether or not the military intelligence part about where the guns came from is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

From googling around it looks like at least one Chinese astronomer proposed a spherical earth but the idea never caught on.

It really was something how China got like 97 percent of the way there, multiple independent times over 1500 years. The prevailing concept was a square Earth rotating in a spherical volume. See, if you rotate a square plane, you'll trace out a circle, which is why the heavens must be a sphere. Somehow I feel like they overthought the problem.