Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I watched the first two episodes and I get the Tom Hardy comparisons, but I feel like Cosmo Jarvis is channeling Cillian Murphy in Peaky Blinders more than Hardy. It's the slightly off and measured way he paces his speech. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I fully expect any follow ups to be Shogun: Subtitle. It's too late to call the whole thing The Asian Saga.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Josh Lyman posted:

Yabus is annoying though.

He's the character I'm finding to be the most fun. When he's not on screen I'm loudly asking "Where's Yabu?"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sierra Nevadan posted:

I want to do the same, but the only copies I can find are split into two parts and have supposedly edited out some of the more weird/controversial stuff.

My library has an original copy ebook, but there is like 45 people in line for it.

My price tracker says the Asian Saga box set on Amazon jumped from £35 to £70 on the day the show started. Motherfuckers. :v:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If there's one thing I love in TV shows it's long, tense conversations where the characters are getting steadily more drunk over time. 10/10

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ochiba has entered my top ten anime villain list.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Quinton posted:

I definitely get the impression that sometimes she's aiming for clarity and other times... she's got slightly different motives.

Yeah, although sometimes it's as simple as "that won't go over well, I'll massage it a bit so everyone keeps their heads".

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ManSedan posted:

I really hope at some point Ochiba barely covers her mouth and laughs like OH HO HO HO HO

I hope she wears glasses in the finale, and pushes them up her nose so the light catches them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I didn't even notice it and I'm at least an above average TV watcher

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MrMojok posted:

But Mariko did tell Blackthorn what anjin meant; we saw it.

I was struggling to keep up in the first episode so I definitely missed when it was explained and had to work it out later - so they're not the only one bad at watching TV. I assumed it was some sort of variation on gaijin, since most of the characters said it like an insult.

Once the show is done I'd like to go back and start over now that I know who all these people are and what their deal is.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This episode was pure :decorum: The Show and it was great.

(I also thought Yabu was letting Toranaga's men in for a hot second, mostly because I had no idea what Yabu's men looked like and assumed he was killing Ishido's men - as he'd switched to Ishido's side.)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CapnAndy posted:

The idea of this airing on TV, even cable, baffles me. There is a lot of swearing and blood and there's even been a bare breast or two, how heavily is FX having to edit it?

It still feels a bit weird seeing gore and loving on Disney+. Even five years ago that would've never happened.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Yabu is loyal to Yabu.

*2 minutes later*

Yabu has betrayed Yabu

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So I loved this show but also know gently caress all about Japanese history. Is there a decent source other than Wikipedia to read up on the basics of this period?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I find there are not really as many great books about the sengoku period in english as anyone might hope but here are some starters.

Steven turnbull has written a gently caress ton of short books about all kinds of medieval japan military history topics, here's a survey one to start but see if any of his others interest you more https://www.amazon.com/War-Japan-1467-1615-Essential-Histories/dp/1472851188/
This is just a random recommendo I read on a whim but this is a decent longer book that tells the sengoku story through the lens of the three unifiers https://www.amazon.com/Sengoku-Jidai-Nobunaga-Hideyoshi-Ieyasu-ebook/dp/B078X3MVBL/
Or just read an actual university level history book, this one starts with the lead up to sekigahara and goes up to the modern day https://www.amazon.com/Making-Modern-Japan-Marius-Jansen/dp/0674009916/

SuperTeeJay posted:

‘A History of Japan’ by Richard Mason gives a broad overview and covers a lot of cultural history so it isn’t just a list of battles and big names.

Thanks for these! Mason is free on Audible for some reason so I'll give that one a look first.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Chadzok posted:

I wanted a montage of what happened to everyone's real-life equivalents and a "Christianity was banned within X years" or whatever

someone give it to me in post-form thanks

I was genuinely expecting one of those "what happened next" cards you always see in docudramas.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Metis of the Chat Thread posted:

I'm very interested in what Hiroyuki Sanada might produce next. In the podcast for the final episode he sounded pretty excited about the new possibilities producing opened up for the future.

drat, didn't realise there was an official podcast. Is it good enough to be worth going back and listening to now the series is done?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sio posted:

BES’ anti-colonialist tone is severely undercut by its orientalist portrayal of the Japanese as being anachronistically primitive in comparison to Europeans, and of course the entirely fictional principal villain may be the most deliberately confused portrayal of European colonialism I’ve ever seen. It’s all been stylized to the point of near meaninglessness, which is not unsurprising given the politics of the show’s creator. Zionists cannot make coherent anti-colonial art.

Fucks sake, I was about to start watching this and now I don't know if I want to anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kawabata posted:

Cosmo Jarvis being some kind of discount Tom Hardy overacting monster.

This was in fact the best thing about the show.