Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Toranaga's little twitch of a smile after "Unless I win" was so loving great.

The start of a powerful bromance. God this shows good. Cosmo Jarvis is a perfect blend of Richard Chamberlain and Tom Hardy, I love it. It's hard to too John Rhys-Davis as Rodrigues, but I think Nestor Carbonell pulls it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AcidCat posted:

Right? I've always liked Nestor Carbonell but I feel like I haven't seen him in anything in ages.

Anyway yeah right from episode one this show is great, I'm hooked.

It took me until the sickbed scene on the boat to realize that was Nestor Carbonell. All the way through I was like "wait, this guy seems familiar, who is he?" Then I got a good look at his face finally and I recognized the eyelashes. It was also nice seeing Louis Ferreira show up as the captain of the Black Ship.

It's insane that this show was filmed in and around Vancouver too. I recognize a lot of the PNW landscapes especially for the village and forest scenes, but it's still really impressive.

I love how every scene with him bit by bit builds up the righteousness of Toranaga's cause either by showing you more of why he's such a good and crafty man or how much all of his enemies are just shitbags. By the time even the first episode is over, let alone the second you just naturally want him to win, and win decisively.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A Sneaker Broker posted:

If a show is being compared to Succession and GoT, something is going absolutely right.

Unless it's like late-show Game of Thrones, then something has gone absolutely wrong.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 28, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phenotype posted:

So hey, for the serial killer goons out there, how awful is it to die from being boiled?

Do lobsters die instantly when they get thrown in the pot or is it horrible for them too? :ohdear:

I mean, I've had just a couple of drops of full temperature boiling water splashed on my hand a couple of times when cooking stuff and it was probably the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. There's also all sorts of health and safety warnings posted around basically every hot tub in every swimming pool ever about not to stay in for longer than like 10 minutes because you could also just straight up die of heat stroke or over heating from regular old very hot, not at all boiling water.

Also from what's presented on the show, the water wasn't boiling when the dude was tossed in it because they JUST lit the fire under the cauldron right before he was thrown in. So it took a long rear end while to even get up to boiling temperature, let along for the dude to start feeling any real pain from the heat. So he got frog boiled to death basically.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"Another name for a TVIV poster."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I like his voice, it's got some gravel to it

People are saying it's Tom Hardy-ish, but honestly he sounds a lot like Richard Chamberlain from time to time, usually when he's shouting poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Doktor Avalanche posted:

I don't remember Rodrigues pretending to be his friend.
Yes, he'll inform his allies that their economic interests are threatened, but he won't go nuts like that priest that screeched "Kill him! Kill the pirate!" at Yabu.

Yeah Rodrigues vaguely likes Blackthorn as a person right now just based on their interactions and is kind of running on the idea that Blackthorne's either going to get himself killed eventually by being a loving ignorant shithead or as a part of the church's mechanations now that they have all his documents so either way he's a self-solving problem as far as Rodrigues is concerned right now, and if he isn't then he's probably canny enough to get the gently caress out of Japan before the swords start swinging at Catholic necks.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Yeah, but in a sexy spanish accent.

If an insanely sexy Spaniard tells you he is not your friend, he is in fact your friend. That's how it works.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

He's weird and the weirdness is only increased by putting him in blue contacts and extreme closeup all the time.

It's no more off putting than the blue contacts Edward James Olmos wore on Battlestar Galactica so that he would look more like Jamie Bamber.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

This is really insane to me. "Hey Edward James Olmos, who's been in a bunch of poo poo, we need to blue up your eyes so you look like you might be related to this guy who was in 3 episodes of Band of Brothers."

I think the contacts were actually Eddie's idea. Dude was insanely method about certain things, doing poo poo like bringing a sleep deprivation expert to the table read for 33, or refusing to make eye contact with actors playing characters who Adama didn't respect, or trashing $100,000 props on camera because he was as broken up over Katee Sackhoff getting "fired" from the show as Adama was upset that Starbuck was killed, and so on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

no toranaga bellyflop 0/10

I don't know what show you were watching but he absolutely DID loving frog it right into the water.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shishkahuben posted:

Toranaga flopping into the water, poised and majestic, was great lmao

Yeah, that's probably why Sanada was wearing like four bathrobes in that scene. That looked like it hurt like a bitch and he just went for it with no hesitation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well poo poo that escalated quickly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jehde posted:

I kind of hate this show.

I love the premise, the acting, the costumes, the sets, the attention to historicity and the details put into it, just the sheer scope of what they're accomplishing in filming this sort of thing.

But I hate the scheming plots shoehorned in every few minutes every episode.

I get that it's probably all part of the book, but so much of it just makes me yell at my TV for how dumb it comes off to me. It reminds me of Game of Thrones in the worst way, and I wish it didn't.

I don't doubt that I'm in the minority (of probably just me) that wishes this stuck to simpler plots with less scheming. It's likely just the way the plots are shoehorned in everywhere. They're probably fine in the grander narrative arc, I just hate them being introduced constantly in the way they are.

I'm bad at enjoying drama, I wish I appreciated backstabbing and random sex more.

I regret to inform you that that constant scheming is a feature, not a bug, of all three incarnations of Shōgun, the book, the 80s mini and this show. Who's screwing over who and how they do or don't get away with it is THE backbone of the narrative.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

stev posted:

He's the character I'm finding to be the most fun. When he's not on screen I'm loudly asking "Where's Yabu?"

Poor Yabu, he just wants to climb the social ladder, but the guy one run up ahead of him is the loving Roadrunner, and he's Wile E. Coyote, as it turns out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Japanese got it right on the first try :hai:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I really appreciate the ambiguity of the situation of the kid taking matters into his own hands and kicking off the war himself. Because Torranaga's such an inscrutable labyrinth of a character his intentions are sometimes hard to gauge, especially with him just loving off like that and leaving his son in charge. So it's like, was this some kind of secret test for his son? If it was, did he pass or fail or it? Was he counting on the kid to go rogue and fire the first shot and start the war so he had some plausible deniability with the regents if things went to poo poo for his side? Because he knew the war was inevitable, he was just hoping to forestall it, but if Ishido's goons showed up on his turf, there was no stopping it. Plus using his son to keep Yabu in check and blunt his power grab and disloyalty IS a masterful chess move.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cowards

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yabu: Torranaga's a loving rear end in a top hat, I'm gonna side with Ishido.

Ishido: I am also a loving rear end in a top hat.

Yabu: poo poo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yabu is definitely in over his head but only because Toranaga is a god-level schemer and manipulator. I think the show does a good job showing us that Yabu's scheming is conducted well enough to escape notice by everyone except Toranaga, who obviously sees it and is confident enough in his own abilities to let Yabu know he sees it.

"You are so lucky, always in the right place at the right time" was a real power flex. He's telling Yabu that he sees his ambition and even respects it enough to let him keep climbing, but to take it down a notch and balance it with patience and trust in Toranaga to come out on top.

Nagakado also seems to have him pegged dead to rights too, hence the whole "I'm just gonna turn Ishido's men to pasta sauce with Anjin-san's cannons, gently caress you, Yabu" gambit that ends the episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

The baby could do an easy sudoku. The dad had to do one that required an x-wing

Blow up the Death Star?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Great ep, I especially liked the scene of Fuji and Blackthorne exchanging gifts :unsmith:

Help me remember a detail from the book - does Blackthorne ever, ahem, pillow with a Japanese woman beside Mariko? Couldn't tell if that was supposed to be her sneaking into his room towards the end there. I would have guessed that would happen in the next episode or two based on when I remember it happening in the book.

Have decided that he's either doing Kelsey Grammar doing a bad English accent, or an Englishman doing a bad Kelsey Grammar impression. It's growing on me either way.

Having seen a couple of interviews of Cosmo Jarvis talking normally in his regular British accent, I've come to the conclusion that the voice he's doing in the show is mean to emphasize just how loving alien a British dude would sound to Japanese people at the time, and in that regard I think it works a lot. Because while Blacktorne's the POV character, the show is also primarily about everyone else reacting to just what the unholy gently caress Blackthorne even is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Somebody earlier likened it to Chernobyl and yeah that is the last time I remember a series just utterly blowing me away in every aspect of its production just being flawless.

Edit: Andor was probably the next closest, but Shogun really does feel like something special.

Yeah, there's been like four shows that have swept me off my feet like this in the last 5 years: Shogun, Chernobyl, The Last of Us, and Blue Eye Samurai. I'd wager Andor would join that list if/when I ever get around to watching it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nybble posted:

Yabu might not understand what's just happened, but look at Omi behind his shoulder. He's almost bursting with glee.

Yeah that shot of Yabu going "What the gently caress, this sucks :mad:" and Omi going "What the gently caress, this rules :haw:" was fantastic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Fortunately the thumbnails aren't subtle, and all it takes is a click on the three dots and "Don't recommend channel".

edit; haha, just after I posted this I got another one. This channel appears to use a cartoon fox/cat avatar to convey how we should be upset.

edit2; Oh good lord, even Japanese ChudTube is at it.

I was just thinking the other day how nice it was that there's no chud-driven discourse around this show to sully one's enjoyment of it. Whether that's because it's both overwhelmingly popular and kinda niche at the same time, or that it's not based on any inherently nerd-driven IPs or probably just due to the fact that it's like 75% in Japanese and that requires actually reading subtitles and chuds tend to be actually illiterate in addition to being media illiterate, either way it's a nice little island in the constant storm that is "enjoying things on the internet in the 21st century."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hailthefish posted:

There are definitely some scenes where I prefer the book version, but lol at being a bombadil about this book in particular

Book purists are usually the worst part of any adaptation fandom. They made the Wheel of Time threads miserable until everyone told them to shut the gently caress up because the show was finally fun as poo poo and good now and doing cool things by going off-script from the book order.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kiimo posted:

When people complain about an awesome scene because it veers away from exactly how it happened in the book I really appreciate it.

It helps me remember which goons are insufferable pricks that I should avoid.

:yeah:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Chances are your dad or an uncle probably has a copy of it

When there was talk of this version being made a few years ago, I bought my mother a copy of the original miniseries on blu-ray as a birthday gift because she loved it so much. She's been re-watching it in tandem with the new series and she's told me a couple of times now that the new show blows both the 80s mini AND the novel out of the water it's that well done.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Goatse James Bond posted:

babies are generally pretty incompetent

The baby probably pissed all over Toranaga the first time Fuji showed him off to the court so he had to go too. Dude was like "gently caress that baby :hai:"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Toranaga: Shogun

Blackthorne: Show's goon

Fuji: Show gun

Thread title please.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jehde posted:

I really hope that this show isn't dumb enough to have the anjin's consort and the translator's husband bang, because it hinted at the possibility of that in a way that these forced dramas tend to like to do.

It's a shame that Anna Sawai had this sort of role almost immediately after Monarch: Legacy of Monsters. It's almost like trying to take David Schwimmer seriously as a captain of easy company, or having Rowan Atkinson star in a mid-century french detective drama.

Meanwhile for people who didn't watch Monarch, she's loving killing it and probably has a great career ahead of her thanks to this show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love the way they bookend these episodes.

Ishido: gently caress, who am I going to replace Toranaga with?

Ochiba: Hi, it's me, I'm the captain now, bitch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Every time they cut to Ishido, for a split second I think it’s Ken Watanabe

I was like that for the first couple of episodes too. Like "holy poo poo, did they get Ken Watanbe for this too and just not tell anyone?" Now that the show's been on for about a month and he appears more regularly, I don't see it any more.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Also Fuji continues to be great. A great little thing was the way she readied her own weapon when Blackthorne charged into the Toda quarters. She might not like it, but she was still absolutely ready to throw down :black101:

She really just exudes this air of "Can I just go ONE day with out maybe having to kill someone because of this idiot white man?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Just for fun I found the passage he wanted more faithfully reproduced.

Which works with the tone and style of the book, but it would have been a cheap anime or soap opera to jam this into that moment in the show. Also, I thought Mariko's "I give him nothing, not even my hatred" in the cliff scene hit really well.

Side note, when Buntaro says it was the sake, I thought Blackthorne said, "Sake!? That orange juice!?" Turns out it was "That's your excuse!?"

Anyone bemoaning the loss of a "women should know their place" scene or speech probably has a whole flag store-s worth of red flags about their person.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

My quick look at the Shogun subreddit has some folks itching for more action, but man, I gotta say, the cut to all of Sugiyama's entourage slaughtered hit hard and I can't think of any spinning and kicking and clanging of swords that I would like to see in its place.

Especially how it lingers so long on Sugiyama's wife amid the aftermath of the slaughter. I think she's on screen as a corpse for longer than she is alive.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
They better pay off Mariko and and Ochiba duelling with naginatas at the start of the episode. That throwdown is going to be fantastic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I'm really impressed at how well Kiku not only molds herself to the needs of the different men she's with, but that in this episode we also see that she's really intuitive and good at this even with women. In lazier writing this could have easily been a stereotypical portrayal. Instead, she's a 1600s therapist.

It reminds me of Akemi from Blue Eye Samurai, someone else who's able to very quickly figure out the men in her life and shape herself to get what she wants t out of them without them even realizing what's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ballz posted:

Any time Blackthorne says “the Japans” my heart tickles. :kimchi:

I love the recurring motif of

Blackthorne: I would like to leave the Japans, please.

Toranaga: gently caress you.