Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I have no familiarity with the source material but I watched these first two episodes one after another and the show seems really great so far.

It sounds like their intent is to have a clean 10-episode series that tells the complete story? If they can keep up the quality then this will end up being something special, and based on a lot of the preliminary reviews it seems like it does.

Maybe there are some unavoidable similarities about telling a story involving western interlopers in feudal japan but you can see a great deal of The Last Samurai that seems like it must have been influenced by the original book.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Slightly confused by some of the background politics in EP3

Why did Toranaga need to sneak out of the city? The show has probably explained why he is compelled to be there but it fell out of my brain.

The Portuguese are obviously claiming Blackthorn is a barbarian pirate, but do those books not explain that he is a privateer and basically conducting "legal" warfare? Would the Japanese not accept this distinction as meaningful?

I'm also not sure why he momentarily attempted to continue claiming to be a simple sailor even after his goose was cooked and was already getting a job offer. He literally explained to Toranaga's face prior that his purpose in japan was to "vanquish" the Portuguese.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The haunted stink pheasant was definitely played for comedy I think, as setup for when the rug is yanked out from under Blackthorne and the audience and we see that there are consequences to a Lord giving orders.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 20, 2024

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Nybble posted:

Lady Ochiba speaks like an anime villain to my untrained ear - is there a term for that manner of speaking? The enunciation seems particularly sharp in comparison to most of the other characters, in a “each syllable is a reminder that I have a dagger to your throat” way.

Maybe some variety of an Ojousama? The sort of haughty rich lady who covers her mouth while laughing "ooo-ho-ho-ho-ho" at the peasants.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 21, 2024

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I love the laugh that Toranaga gives when Blackthorne offers him his swords, clearly knowing their true provenance.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The costumes in this show are so good.

Toranaga's brother walking out of the mist wearing some Dark Souls armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Beefeater1980 posted:

I don’t think this is true. I think it’s projecting 21st century rationalism onto 16th century dudes to whom “pick up a cutlass and get stuck in with the rest of us or you’re a coward and we hate you” is a more important rule than “FFS don’t let the navigator get merked”.

Is this not just projecting some modern idea that 16th century people were stupid compared to us?