Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The comparisons to GoT seem a little premature, but that's my own bias as I attribute GoT's success to how well it juggled the fifty-odd supporting cast. Really takes an exceptional show to not only have a cast that wide but also give them enough life to really feel lived in. The Wire and Deadwood also hit those highs imo, whereas most others don't really try. Only finished the first ep and little of the second, but it doesn't seem like this is as sprawling, but I could be wrong!

Production wise I totally see it though and there's enough politics going. Already a little excited to rewatch this after it's done as (I imagine) a lot of the people being name dropped in the first episode will show up later and I'll actually know who they're talking about.

Show rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

ShowTime posted:

They are switching the comparisons now to Succession, which is way more accurate.

lol people need to find better words to say a show is good. This is nothing like Succession except that it is also very very very good. Kudos to the poster who brought up Chernobyl. That feels like an apt comparison - historical-inspired mini series. Regardless, whatever gets people watching this is a net good. Could use more shows this confident in the world.

You're fully immersed in a world that's foreign to today and it's effortless to believe these characters were people. And the stuff they're doing is loving rad, like roping down a wet cliff just to prove to a prisoner that you're manly. And then pay for it. And then try to kill yourself. But then it's ok and you did earn their respect. Cool poo poo.

Whoever is programming at FX is making a good name for themselves between this, Fargo, and Reservation Dogs. Each gives HBO a run for their money.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 29, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Just finished the second episode. This show wields it's bilingual presentation awe-inspiringly well. The translator scenes are enthralling, partly because it doesn't cut away from them straight up, but the gradual fade of everyone but John and Toranaga was perfect.

also holy gently caress I thought John's voice was cool so I looked up the actor - he did a cheesy folky song I had in regular rotation -- twelve years ago called Gay Pirates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAV3AbaTRYs. God drat, good for him. In hindsight, shame Our Flag Means Death didn't use it.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 29, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Collateral posted:

Being Lord of the Kantō is also of immense importance. If I remember correctly, it is the bread basket of Japan.

Also the home of one Ash Ketchum, world renowned pokemon trainer

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

milk dribbling gently caress smear

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Show loving rules. All bangers, no brakes.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

My quick look at the Shogun subreddit has some folks itching for more action, but man, I gotta say, the cut to all of Sugiyama's entourage slaughtered hit hard and I can't think of any spinning and kicking and clanging of swords that I would like to see in its place.

This is a hallmark of great modern tv imo. Action movies and shows will always have a place in my heart, but shows that treat violence in a more true-to-life way where it's fast, inglorious, and horrific - and know when to deploy it (the cannonball scene, the casual executions that have largely occurred as backdrop) and when it's unnecessary to see the action (this event) is what separates the brilliant from the entertaining.

Ranted about this a lot in the Fargo threads, as I think that show generally does a good job about it too.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Having not read the book, also incredibly curious what the eventual plan is going to be given the kayfabe seems to making sure everyone is expecting to go suicide at the capitol. ...like are they going to get to the gates only for him to go "jk, at arms men!" I get that part of it is delivering cannons... but surely someone has to be informed to man them at some point.

It's a very strange tactic to so severely undercut your armies morale, faith, and loyalty this much.

But gently caress if it doesn't make great tv. Incredibly and interesting scenes back to back to back. Shame he didn't get to see more of his men after asking for them so feverishly for nine episodes.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

CapnAndy posted:

Two things: Mariko is an absolutely poo poo translator, isn’t she? She’s frequently editorializing in both directions, and you’re not supposed to do that.

idk, there's something to translating intentions / letting one party know "hey, if you say that in such blunt words these guys are gonna cut your head off".

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Show rocked. Slightly edged out by Fargo for me as the best tv of the year, but I do think it's more of an accomplishment. Hard to balance good storytelling with history and foreign world's in historical drama's, but this show does it beautifully.

Story tell's a large scale event, but never loses it's focus on it's core cast - and they're all so entertaining and well fleshed out.

Hope it leads to more shows like it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's a fun trick how Toranaga is handled between episodes. Even though the surrender is clearly shown to be a ruse, between the diving scene, and access Blackthrone has to him, he starts to feel borderline down-to-earth. Which makes all the "no, this guy has all the power and knows it" of the finale bittersweet. He talks about Blackthorne more like he's a pet than a friend, even if there's elements of the later. It's a fun wake up call.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Puzzled that people are complaining there wasn't a battle, but chuckling that the exact same thing happened in this year's season of Fargo: lot's of build up to a battle, but instead of spending almost any time on it, they do a couple of very quick cuts and then spend all that time following protagonist's who aren't in the direct line of fire instead.

Both shows didn't need it, and it's nice to see show runner's spend their time and budgets elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This was a show good enough to make me check out whatever the creators do next. If the same crew tackled another historical saga, I'm on board. I don't think you can do a second season of this particular story, it's perfectly self contained. But I would trust this gang to adapt another series, I hope they do, and I'm watching whatever they do next.