Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
show goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

MeinPanzer posted:

Cosmo Jarvis has an odd charisma in this, and the intensity he brings to the role sells him as a brash, devil may care adventurer, but the combination of his small, wide-set eyes and bad blue contacts lends him an uncanny appearance. I think his look is also off-putting because he's constantly wide eyed but has a weird lifelessness to his eyes, and his lack of expression is often at odds with his explosive baritone.

I was thinking more about the final sequence on the galley from this last episode and I really liked its subtlety. Toranaga show his dominance, making clear to Blackthorne that he could kill him for piracy and forcing him to dive over and over again, but at the same time he's willing to be vulnerable in front of his entourage and open to learning something new. It does a good job of showing how he puts into action his philosophy that friends are important but fickle and enemies are everywhere so you need to be clever.

Jarvis looking/acting a bit strange fits. From everyone else's POV Blackthorne's the weirdo, and he's learning to use that to his advantage in a more calculated and theatrical way.

As for making him dive over and over I don't know if it was to remind him that Toranaga could gently caress with him with impunity (I think Blackthorne got the message with the piracy accusation), or because he's a perfectionist who wants to learn as much as he could from observation first. Or maybe it's ego and he wanted to tire Blackthorne first before the contest.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Cojawfee posted:

What a great episode.

Agree, even with Toranaga barely in it.

I like how Yabu was initially set up as this dangerous schemer and how it's now increasingly clear just how out of his depth he is.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

hailthefish posted:

Yeah the whole "and also he knows all about european infantry tactics which are entirely unheard of in japan!" part of the book was a little too silly and marty stu so I think cannon is a good change.

Also it reinforces Blackthorne's character as someone who's got to improvise and play to his strengths to stay alive.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Jehde posted:

I really hope that this show isn't dumb enough to have the anjin's consort and the translator's husband bang, because it hinted at the possibility of that in a way that these forced dramas tend to like to do.

It's a shame that Anna Sawai had this sort of role almost immediately after Monarch: Legacy of Monsters. It's almost like trying to take David Schwimmer seriously as a captain of easy company, or having Rowan Atkinson star in a mid-century french detective drama.

two weird paragraphs

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The way I look at it, FX had some concrete parameters that they gave to the showrunners / writers, such as "we're doing 10 episodes max" or "you have 50 mil to spend on this, do what you will" and within those constraints, whatever they are, I feel like the showrunners are exceeding my expectations to such a level that it's nearing perfection as an adaptation.

With that in mind, I can't fault the writer(s) for having to rush some things just to make them fit. I do wish we could have 20 episodes but then again, that alternate universe me would be here complaining we can't have 30 lol

I think the love story as a rushed element actually makes a lot of sense. They've depicted/cast Mariko as an astonishingly beautiful woman who has been completely trapped in a life she mostly hates, in a marital relationship she completely hates. Even her brief respites from her suffering (her tender moments with her son) are under the cloud of her husband's scorn, disapproval, and abuse. In stumbles this absolute dipshit who has almost nothing in common with her, until she starts to realize they actually have a lot in common and that his dream of adventure and freedom is a captivating, if impossible dream for her. It's totally believable that she'd develop strong feelings for him, and that he would for her as this tragic, melancholy figure who needs protecting.

I think the love story is very well done given the above constraints.

Also they don't overdo it, so far it's just an affair between too deeply lonely people, not some great epic love story.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I think the idea is the warmer climate caused it to rot and be swarmed with flies way faster than what he expected.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
There's a whole thing where Japan is idealized as this patriarchal trad country untouched by wokeness, so I can ses how downplaying Clavell's sillier aspects would piss off youtube freaks and such.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Will any new iron cannon have to be folded over a thousand times?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
This puts the show in an awkward/interesting position where they're obviously not recreating history but are trying to make the story more history-ish. The question of how much they should bother with revising what the book got wrong must have been weird, since at the end of the day it's a successful novel that tells a compelling story in its own right (and it's the one people are expecting to see), and every historical fiction fudges the facts for a good story.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

But also, "Let's do this again" or "Let's hang out soon" is a pretty common farewell in Japanese and is not necessarily a promise to further hang out. You get a lot of people in the JapanLife subreddits getting frustrated with this. But it's kinda like how "How are you?" is not an invitation for a sudden therapy session.

isn't that just an adult thing

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Saganlives posted:

The cinematography in this show is also on another level. I was particularly taken with this shot, the intimacy it conveys is astounding.

https://i.imgur.com/ExR350f.mp4

I love how unsubtle this moment is.

Perestroika posted:

I gotta echo whoever posted last episode about Ochiba having a noticeably different kind of pronunciation going on. Even across the language barrier, it really does come off as quite a bit more dramatic/villainous. :allears:

Is there a specific word for the intonations she take? It's very distinctive and even though I don't follow anime anymore I feel like I've heard this before.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I wonder how much trust Toranaga is supposed to have in Blackthorne's words. Here's a foreigner with an obvious agenda who claims his enemies are invaders conspiring against you, and who repeatedly insists on attacking them to serve you. His claims have serious implications but he's hardly in any position to prove anything, right?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I don't think it was strictly planned. Hiromatsu had absolute faith in Toranaga's will to fight, so he correctly decided that it was a ruse. When he sees the other vassals getting rowdy he decides to shut them up by forcing Toranaga to kill him - if Toranaga is willing to execute his closest ally for that then further protesting is pointless, and it helps the kayfabe of the whole operation. Toranaga understands what Hiromatsu's going for but is helpless to dissuade him from going through it because the plan falls apart if he backs down. They might have planned it in advance but it reads more as a spur of the moment's decision on both of their parts, cemented by the two men's understanding each other's position and the inevitability of it all.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Have they ever referenced the emperor in the show? That's gotta be confusing for casual viewers who know just enough to be aware he exists.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's kind of expected Mariko would do more than just translating since she's effectively Blackthorne's handler.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
He finally knows enough Japanese to directly ask Toranaga for his ship.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
show gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Mantle posted:

What does that say about her son's mastery? He had a British accent!

lol