Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Just finished the first two episodes.

Disney and FX are about to have the world talking about feudal Japan like never before because that as epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I only had time to watch the first 20 minutes or so before a work meeting but if it's any indication, this is going to be really good.

This may reach peak hype levels of Game of Thrones.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

IGN declares Shogun a masterpiece.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/shogun_2024

100% Critics Score on Rotten Tomatoes.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Steve Yun posted:

The zen garden scene was incredible

Its like an alien fell to Earth and said hey guess what there’s an intergalactic war going on and these other aliens you’ve made contact with are planning to take over Earth and have secret bases on the moon ready to go. You can see Toranaga’s brain catch on fire when he learns this

It’s that and also the fact that his genius idea to plan way and have John stay in his quarters because he knew that if he prodded the Father with this information, he would get a deadly response like an assassin since one of the Lord’s is working with them. Now that the killer in question is dead, tensions are only going to overflow.

I can’t wait for next week's episode.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

ShowTime posted:

They are switching the comparisons now to Succession, which is way more accurate.

But show is loving fantastic so far. I watched the 1st two episodes back to back and was immensely sad to see the next episode isn't until March 5th. I do love when really good shows give you multiple episodes up front and that seems to be the theme these days, but when you really like what you see and can't see more, you get a little sad inside.

If a show is being compared to Succession and GoT, something is going absolutely right.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

nine-gear crow posted:

Unless it's like late-show Game of Thrones, then something has gone absolutely wrong.

:hai:

"Unless, I win."

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Man, watching this show makes me want Ghost of Tsushima 2 to be released already..

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Steve Yun posted:

Another time marker is that the Taiko says he wished he could’ve taken Korea together. The war where Korea repelled several invasion attempts by Japan happened 1592-1598

Does Shogun take place before or after the Mongolian invasions?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Steve Yun posted:

I’m thankful for all the history buffs in this thread, I knew bits and pieces of Japanese history but this is the first time I got to connect dots

Like the Christianity being banned was info I just had out of context before and I had no idea what set it off

I wish I knew more about feudal Japanese history. My forte is Roman or Greek. With that said, history portrayed correctly will always attract any nerd.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

RestingB1tchFace posted:

So does FX cut the nudity from their broadcast....or have they finally broken that boundary? They aren't network.....so the FCC has no say in it......as far as I know. Cable networks have only been bound by what advertisers are comfortable with. And I'd think advertisers would be less sensitised by this stuff now.

There is nudity. Hulu and D+ want this show to BANG, so everything is on the table. Let the people see glorious Japanese nipples and asses. You will also see a Blackthorne butt as well.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I loved Episode 3. Toranaga and Blackthorne's diving and swimming were cool. There seems to be a lot of "bandits" in Japan :xd:

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

RestingB1tchFace posted:

This show rules. Might have to read the book once the show wraps up.

Waiting for it to get back on Kindle.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Alright, welp. Time for poo poo to get wild. This show fucks.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I went back to watch Episode 4 again at the end. The gore at the very end from all the cannons is mind-boggling good. I haven't seen that attention to detail since early Game of Thrones.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Ep 6 is now live.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Ep 6 is now live.

Me at the end of Ep 6:

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Every woman in this show is written so goddamn well. How do we get this writing throughout Hollywood? I need more Ochibas and Fujis in my life.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Jerusalem posted:

Ochiba as the next Mission Impossible baddie, played EXACTLY the same way :hellyeah:

I was thinking that or as a Bond Villian.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Hopefully Shogun is the blueprint for the Ghost of Tsushima Movie/Series Sony is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Episode 7 is live!