Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

it looks like it's going to be in a mix of english and japanese which is probably going to cheapen it a lot but

on the other hand the trailer was pretty good so i'm in for the first episode at the least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I thought this episode was a big double beat. The character stuff it revealed was either a repeat (Blackthorne and Mariko) of points the story just hit last episode in a more interesting way, or weirdly simplistic like Ochiba's overt villainy. I appreciate her acting in a 1950's film kind of way but it's not genuine investment. The earthquake was a non-event in the end, just something to create a fake climax for the last episode which otherwise wouldn't have had one and it feels like this one didn't either.

I'm not even desperate for a big battle or anything, it's just comes off as dishonest to repeatedly promise it being imminent and then continue to spin wheels because they have 10 episodes to fill.

Although I don't know what else is coming up in the story. I really like the show overall, just the last 2 eps have had my enthusiasm slowly draining a bit.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I always just assumed it was something elder officials instituted as a style because a lot of them would be naturally bald anyway and wanted to make it a mark of status rather than a sign of decline. Make the cool young samurai do it too. Even if they said otherwise, 'oh you know the helmet just gets too hot so i shave by choice'.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

if blackthorne's men are still alive, i wonder if they're back down another hellhole while he runs around getting bestowed gifts and wrapped up in the sex lives of the elite

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

kiimo posted:

I've said it before but I love the actor playing Ishido and he elevates the character for me. He has a strange charisma

agreed - he's got a pretty thankless role in this story, but the actor is selling it in such a way that i'm never disappointed when he appears on screen, so that deserves some recognition. and it is the acting, in this case.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

fuji's actress is taking a supporting role into a star turn honestly

everywhere i look, it's just people praising her and noticing fuji in scenes where she isn't even the focus

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

also blackthorne is loving hilarious and great and the way he's been folded into this dynastic power struggle is both funny and emotional and that's some good stuff

i dunno if they'll top him ranting about the sanctity of women for funniness, but i sure hope he has one more big dumb speech in him cos i love to listen to this guy

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eERRO_IyNsg

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

fuji just pulled a gun.....

that was very good. very good. there's nothing that can be said to that.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Omi and the samurai all immediately flinching back when Fuji pulls the gun is the loving best.

it was funny man but i want it to mean something

.....these bitches are stupid. and, if you'll excuse me doing some beavis, 'gay as hell', and i say THIS

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

SUBMIT TO MARIKO OR DIE

OR FUJI

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Shogun - Fuji's pointing at you.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'm down for Shogun: I Now Super Enjoy Temu Hardy as a new thread title if the mods will it

no, it's a far better show than that stupid title makes it seem like, you just think it would make a good click, which it would. but here's what would make an ever better click, and still be accurate

fuji takes her tits out.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

that was just an idiotic drunk post made without thought, just continue talking on based on the ones we had before

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Just finished this, I haven't read the book.

The show lost me for a while around episodes 5-7 where I felt like it was repeating itself and I wasn't connecting with the themes very much. The last 3 episodes got me invested again, and I liked the final episode although it is weirdly inconclusive. Not that the conclusion isn't there, they show you what will almost definitely occur to end the conflict, but it was like the show was going out of its way to distract from its own conclusion. Thinking back, that's really the MO of Toranaga in general so I suppose it fits. But it feels like, to deny the story a typical climax, I would expect there to be something deeper going on and I couldn't pick anything out at the end. It just reasserts the themes it has already developed fully.

There were also quite a few scenes where I had the thought that it was relying heavily on the score going nuts.

So, it's a consistent show which I liked and didn't love. Some parts moved me and I liked the cast a lot, but my mind sometimes drifted. I never really enjoyed Toranaga though, which is probably the biggest problem for me. I just didn't like him, at all, so I never really cared about the outcome of the bigger picture.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 27, 2024