Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Phenotype posted:

So hey, for the serial killer goons out there, how awful is it to die from being boiled?

Do lobsters die instantly when they get thrown in the pot or is it horrible for them too? :ohdear:

Well the pirate was thrown in water that wasn't boiling, i'd assume it takes a good while to boil a 500 liter(?) cauldron. So he was boiled like a frog, not a lobstah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I like his voice, it's got some gravel to it

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

nine-gear crow posted:

People are saying it's Tom Hardy-ish, but honestly he sounds a lot like Richard Chamberlain from time to time, usually when he's shouting poo poo.

Doesn't sound anything like Tom Hardy, he's just got a low rumble voice, but he can project like a theater actor

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

muscles like this! posted:

My understanding is that lobsters are more like bugs where their nervous systems aren't really developed enough to feel what we would call "pain."

don't know about those cold water lobsters, but in the tropics we put crayfish on ice or in a saltwater and ice slurry. They go to sleep right quick and eventually die from it. Then you chop them, pull them apart or boil them. If you do it with crabs they don't throw their claws and legs from the shock of the boiling water.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Cojawfee posted:

All you have to do is watch the videos of people keeping lobsters or crabs as pets and you will see that they have personalities. They don't have advanced intelligence, but there is thought in their tiny brains and they don't deserve to be boiled alive without being knocked out or killed first.

They probably should of evolved to something less delicious then

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 4, 2024

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Alhazred posted:

I think a good rule of thumb is to not cook things that are alive.
Anyways, I like that Hawthorne is a bit of an idiot and is unable to chill out about catholics for even one second. It was also kinda funny how Rodrigues pretended to be his friend and then suddenly revealed that he knew all about him and were gonna tell the spaniards.

He made it pretty clear he wasn't his friend. He liked his moxy, but they are sworn enemies in every sense of the word. He saved his life as seaman, then wanted to kill him with a jug like 4 mins later.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Alhazred posted:

He wanted to kill him with a jug because he found his books. Before that it was clear that he didn't consider Rodrigues a threat.

I think it's more he respected him as a pilot and he was still a prisoner surrounded by Japanese. Not exactly smort to kill the only person you can get information from.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

counterfeitsaint posted:

Doesn't Rodrigues say the exact words "I'm not your friend" to Blackthorn right after they meet?

Yeah, but in a sexy spanish accent.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Revenge of the Bushido Blade was kind of the first western written and produced ninja film, but not really a ninja film. 1980
Chuck was in the first American action Ninja movie. The Octogon 1980

Japan had a slew of them in the early to mid 60's, then You Only Live Twice had them as henchmen

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Henchman of Santa posted:

Could not see about 40% of this episode because I watched it during the day in my very sunny apartment lol

I like that Blackthorne is supposed to be like, conversational in Portuguese yet apparently knows the equivalent to terms like slatterns and trollops and buggery.

He's a sailor, i'll almost put money on you learning that stuff first.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I watched The Fall of Ako Castle starring Sonny Chiba again lastnight. Which is ther other movie based on 47 Ronin, set 102 years after this show during Tokugawa Tsunayoshi's reign. The costumes are mental, there's so much talk of revenge and hara-kari, which is pretty much the whole theme of the movie.
A+ would recommend

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

nine-gear crow posted:

It's no more off putting than the blue contacts Edward James Olmos wore on Battlestar Galactica so that he would look more like Jamie Bamber.

If that's all it took i'd be wearing them now.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

boo boo bear posted:

I think he's also suffering from scurvy, rickets and other nasty poo poo. everyone else on the boat was near dead and it's been maybe a week.

He's also like 87 in 1600 lifespan

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Arglebargle III posted:

Re-enactors have shown pretty convincingly (at least to me) that the filth of medieval and early modern Europeans is overblown. We clean ourselves by immersing our bodies in water every day, so when we hear that past Europeans didn't do that, we assume they didn't clean themselves. It's projection. Early modern Europeans did have working noses and were aware of cleaning themselves, but they did it by sponge baths and rubbing their bodies with cloth, which would then be washed.

'In such circumstances, nice smells were very welcome. In Gervase Markham’s popular 17th century work, The English Housewife, he writes how to make pomanders (which you carry around and sniff if near a particularly foul stench):

"To make pomanders, take two pennyworth of labdanum, two pennyworth of storax liquid, one pennyworth of calamus aromaticus, as much balm, half a quarter of a pound of fine wax, of cloves and mace two pennyworth, of liquid aloes three pennyworth, of nutmegs eight pennyworth, and of musk four grains; beat all these exceedingly together till they come to a perfect substance, then mould it in any fashion you please and dry it." ' -1615

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Cojawfee posted:

If they do other seasons, is it going to be like knives out where they think people are too stupid to figure out what it is so they call it Whatever: A Shogun Show

Godzilla: A Shogun show.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

loving spoilers in the comments

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

ShowTime posted:

Apologies, I didn't bother to check the comments. I never do for YouTube videos.

my fault entirely, i just scrolled down without thinking and some dick ferret blurted out something to ruin my day

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Burns posted:

About the cannon. Back in uni we had a class project about the Spanish Armada. I recall that the Spanish used larger or heavier cannon and thus a heavier shot on their warships. English cannon tended to use a smaller shot, but the cannon themsevles were longer barrels. English cannon tended to have more range and accuracy but generally had difficutly actually penetrating a Spanish ship at range. English cannon was good for destroying sails and rigging though.

I can't find much info on mining deposits arround 1600, But they opened a copper mine after 1610 and the Shogun being given a gift of some they had extracted. So i doubt they had the capability to make more bronze cannons at the time

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

XYZAB posted:

I found myself asking if that was supposed to be a tsunami, as though I haven’t watched hundreds of hours of the 2011 Sendai tsunami that looked shot for shot practically identical.

It’s kind of amazing to be five episodes in and not one of them has faltered in any meaningful or disappointingly way. I continue to be impressed.

Landslides put the awe in awesome.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I like it. The gesture gives the swords meaning.

That's what the interview i listened too said, him having them redeems the swords. or something. Not so much spoiler, just actor head cannon

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Arglebargle III posted:

Tokugawa is kind of like an Augustus figure in that yes, he killed a large number of people and mercilessly exterminated his political rivals, but his hegemony ended a period of civil war and inaugurated an era of peace and prosperity.

I can't speak to what cannons exactly the Portuguese were selling in Japan in the 1550s but in general it's historically accurate that artillery technology advanced rapidly in the second half of the 16th century. In 1500 cannons were custom-made war machines that could weigh more than 10 tons and were primarily for throwing stone balls at castles. By 1600 accurate field guns were a reality, although they're still giants compared to 18th century field guns from more familiar movies. The show cannons are notably huge compared to American Revolutionary War cannons. Cannons got a lot cheaper, smaller, standardized, and easier to mass-produce. It's not surprising that cannons made in 1595 are way better than cannons made in 1550.

I'm not really a cannon guy, but were the English navy using iron or bronze in 1600? i was under the impression they were still using bronze.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Grimnarsson posted:

The ship is Dutch though?

I assume the ships would be about the same level of tech with the English navy being the more state of the art at the time.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Sash! posted:

OK I think I might be blind because I couldn't tell if that was a landslide or a tsunami that hit the army encampment after the earthquake.

I have vivid memories of the old miniseries from when I was a kid. Have to say that I like the new one a lot more.

Landslide

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

SolarFire2 posted:

I think the primary advantage of bronze cannon were that they were very resistant to rust and corrosion, especially from saltwater.

Bronze is less likely to expolsively disassemble from heat and stress.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

feedmegin posted:

Actually the Dutch likely had the edge. Check out the initial Anglo-Dutch war and that's half a century later. Though its not like the basic physical differences vary much, its not like they have radar and CIWS.

Tall guys in the crow's nest doesn't count.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

There are various explanations on the hair thing, the one that seems to be most popular (but not definitive) is that it's a fashion that grew out of period hats / helmets fitting better with a partially shaved scalp. The theory is that it prevented the headgear from sliding around while riding / fighting.

I thought that was the really stiff top knot

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

roomtone posted:

fuji just pulled a gun.....

that was very good. very good. there's nothing that can be said to that.

No one in the history of guns has drawn with such class.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

M_Gargantua posted:

Every Episode Yabu makes me forget he boiled a man alive and watched whatever that kink play Kiku was doing at the start. Man is a horrible monster but he’s just such a lovable idiot you just forgive the murder

Seems like more of a murder/captial punishment, tomayto/tomahto deal. He's a lord and they are pretty big on executions as a punishment for pretty much anything.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

we have bodycams nowadays, plus any bystander has a camera in their pocket. do you think the cops of the past were any better than the ones of today.

In some ways yeah they were. They were more crooked for sure, but they were a lot less militant

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Where is The Emperor in all this? I get that he’s basically a figurehead but in all the show’s power politics scenes he hasn’t even been mentioned, even in passing. If he was insignificant even as a symbol, why have an emperor?

He died, the kid is the backup emperor with these knucklehead regents doing the job until he's old enough, are you watching it backwards?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Sidelined, but technically the ultimate power.

In the book there is a scene in which a seventh-ranked prince is in Osaka as the representative of the emperor, and basically exerts no authority other than being untouchable, which in itself gives him a certain authority. Though there have been plenty of cases of the emperor being manipulated to the military's advantage, in the setting of Shogun, he's just chilling at court in Kyoto, mostly hands off.

That's not the emperor. "Shogun" or "Taiko" are basically "commanders in chief" or militaristic prime ministers -- the primary minister to the emperor.

One of the big deals of the Meiji Restoration that ended the Edo period in 1867 is that it "restored" political power to the emperor after centuries of not really having any authority.

I'll just shut my big mouth then

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Arglebargle III posted:

They had to create the FBI because local law enforcement was murdering people for money in Oklahoma.

That... was some time ago, things got better before they got worse.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

what do you expect, i'm getting all my history from reading every third page of this thread

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Ravenfood posted:

Also, skilled pilots were immensely valuable resources. If his ship is initiating a boarding action, he should be about as far from the action as possible and if his ship is being boarded, he is definitely in the class of people who the attackers would rather capture/surrender. When he is talking with Rodriguez you can get a sense of how important they are and how much cross-national, cross-religion professional respect there is.

So yeah, him not being good with a sword makes sense.

E: I'm pretty sure but not positive that "pilot" eventually becomes the "sailing master" of the napoleonic era Royal Navy which would make him a warrant officer and nominally a gentleman, even if the master can come up through the ranks of sailors and so isn't socially a gentleman. Either way, 200 years earlier and without the kind of education and rank structure of the Royal Navy, he is probably even more valuable as a rare skilled resource in the 1600s than his later counterparts.

E2: I think they mention in the first episode that at sea, Blackthorne is actually in charge of everything because in the 1600s, the captain isn't actually a professional sailor in any way.

E3: all of which to say, Blackthorne's place in any naval action whatsoever is on the quarterdeck. Which means he can definitely shoot, has rudimentary pike and sword practice, and has probably defended that deck at some point, but is not a professional fighter. He has so many better things to be doing with his time.

Like the real guy he was a pilot master of the fleet, so he was even more important

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

M_Gargantua posted:

We are spoiled with modern tech, but a skilled Pilot can be thought of to be equivalent in value to a ~$1.5M aerospace navigation box of the modern era.

You don't put your million dollar computer in your $25M dollar ship and then put it somewhere it can be broken. The Cannon, powder, shot, and assorted small arms probably cost another $15M modern equivalent. (The Erasmus in the show is based on the Dutch Liefde, a 300 ton, 18-gun Galleon)

Yeah, but you don't feed a navigation box salted meat and hardtack for 4 months and expect it to run and peak efficiency either.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Beefeater1980 posted:

I don’t think this is true. I think it’s projecting 21st century rationalism onto 16th century dudes to whom “pick up a cutlass and get stuck in with the rest of us or you’re a coward and we hate you” is a more important rule than “FFS don’t let the navigator get merked”.

Your man is going to fight if need be, but he's not swining over the side in the first wave.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Mad episode. My OCD is going to miss this show's level of finery.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

The entire show is sumptuous, but I really liked this one simple shot (spoilering it because of the scene it's in, though the shot itself is not a spoiler). It comes after numerous shots from a different angle, and the subtle outline of his armor in the background is just nice.

There's so much art in the way everything is done. I don't mean just the production. The customs, the craftsmanship of the era, the rigid preparation of everything from food to council meetings, even casual conversations. Every aspect of their lives is a performance, it is so stress inducing for someone who is unorganised and undisciplined. For someone like Blackthrone it must be like landing on an alien planet, because 400 years later it blows my mind.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I thought mythic quest had been cancelled, i've not heard anyone talk about since the end of season 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

CapnAndy posted:

Screaming for the death of Protestants seems pretty on-brand for a 1600s Catholic to me.

And vice versa