Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

counterfeitsaint posted:

So obviously the end of episode 4 is a huge provocation and everything, but why is everyone suddenly like "Oh now it's gonna be war". Toranaga snuck out of Osaka, killing a bunch of guards in the process, expressly against the orders of the regents. After that, wasn't war inevitable? I mean barring something like Toranaga's abject surrender or possibly suicide.

I think up until this point it's just been foot soldiers that have been killed in the line of duty, so no biggie. Diplomacy and politics were still on the table. Now that Ishido's right hand man is a sloppy Joe, there's no more feigning polite ignorance in order to avoid outright war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I can't tell if this was accidental or clever.

It came from the third heart.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

hailthefish posted:

she hosed him and is pretending otherwise to protect her reputation, basically but I don't know if that's supposed to be obvious in the show

I think the look of confusion on Fuji's face and the smiles they exchanged were to indicate that what happened had to be referenced on the down low. It also seemed telling that she didn't translate the exchange.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Just random episode 5 musings...

So, what is the reasoning for Mariko being spared when her father had to execute everyone else? I know they said she was too young to fight, but she was already married, and they executed a newborn in episode 1...?

Also, her version of the story is that her father was doing the right thing and assassinating a corrupt ruler. But the disdain that Buntaro shows for her makes me wonder if that's the story she tells herself, and really, he was just a failed coup leader. That would kind of mirror what she told Blackthorn about Fuji's swords just being dollar store swords because Fuji's father was actually just a coward and didn't die some noble death, but everyone is too polite to tell that to Fuji.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

grobbo posted:

Sanada, at least, has been quite vocal on the press tour saying that he sees Toranaga as a heroic figure and an exemplar, so it'll be interesting to see how the rest of the character arc plays out.

I haven't read the book in years but I think I just remembered something.

HEAVY BOOK SPOILER:

Like seriously there be dragons ahead so don't peek.

Isn't a huge reason that Toranaga isn't all in on the Heir is because he either knows, or is at least heavily suspicious, that the Heir is illegitimate? Like the Taiko was too old to actually have a kid and Ochiba was power hungry so she fucks some peasant who kind of looks like the Taiko and Toranaga knows? That would also explain why she's going all Cersei at the end of last episode...

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

ptkfvk posted:

speaking of the dead gardener, are we going to see more of the actual spy? didnt toranaga say he was one of his most trusted samurai?

The epilouge will show that the spy and Fuji get married and run a bed and breakfast out of the former tea house.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

I was a little taken out of the show when Fuji did the backwards somersault to lop off Ishido's head, I thought she was burned pretty badly?

Still, 9.5/10 for me on the series, and I hope they do a Steelbox release, even though I guess that's unlikely.

It's going to be a long wait for Andor.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Toranaga constantly has to adapt and change to circumstances or the actions of others he wasn't expecting and he understood that death and failure was absolutely a possibility... but you adapt and you most of all keep your head. That's why the scene of him receiving Ochiba's letter is so important, you can see the weight he's been under just lift off of him in that moment, and it's a beautiful, beautiful piece of acting.

Yes, while he was always managing to start a step ahead he still had to adapt to all the curveballs coming at him. He and Yushiba were basically polar opposites the entire time, which is why I loved the final conversation being between those two.

Also it's interesting going back and seeing when Toranaga launched his different falcons, in E6 he plays on Mariko's guilt to get her prepared to launch the one woman Crimson Sky. Cold and calculated, but he wasn't playing a game of friends and enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Ah, so now the distilling begins where we are informed of just what a terrible show it was that we got to enjoy for the last 10 weeks.