Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This show is wild. "Uh-oh, set my drink down without using a coaster, looks like it's seppuku time for me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Scarabrae posted:

This show is loving amazing, outstandingly well done

I really really appreciate the restraint they had to not do some godawful The Last Samurai training montage and grant a white person superpowers.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

As someone with untreated ADD, I can't stress how much it helps to hear everything the main characters say immediately summarized a second time.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
lol I was thinking about how the best character in the show was Yabu's Grunt, so I checked on YouTube for a comp and sure enough I wasn't let down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeBwYBR4Y0I

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Out of the whole show the one big mystery for me is, what exactly was the plan for that bird that Anjin left to air dry? lol that British Cuisine is so loving bad that it killed people without eating it

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

toggle posted:

Is…is there any more? :ohdear:

I want more Shogun. I need more Shogun.

Scorcese's Silence seems like it can basically serve as a straight-up sequel (also based on a book and takes place shortly after these events), I have it queued up to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N680Zn-wg0

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

Silence has a very different mood from Shogun, going from Clavell kind of being dismissive of religion to Endo being very interrogative about it.

If it still has Jesuits getting owned then I'm down.

edit: Oh hell yeah the first-billed Japanese guy in the cast of Silence is the Yabu actor lol

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 25, 2024

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Metis of the Chat Thread posted:

I'm very interested in what Hiroyuki Sanada might produce next. In the podcast for the final episode he sounded pretty excited about the new possibilities producing opened up for the future.

If you win, anything is possible.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I watched that Scorsese Silence movie as a chaser to this. Man that movie was an absolutely miserable 2h 40m. I loving loved it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
You know, I didn't get the point of the Buntaro arrow scene then the apology after. Because first off he's like "hey I'm really sorry about that, I was super drunk", which is already weird because he's like the first person who didn't try to seppuku over a mild embarrassment (maybe foreigners just don't rate that offer?). But then they show all his arrows hit perfectly, which was supposed to mean what, he wasn't actually that drunk? He's still a really good shot when he's drunk?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Aoi posted:

That he's super duper dangerous, and Blackthorne should have listened when Mariko told him not to escalate things.

I guess but like, Blackthorne just got done watching him fight off an army. I don't think that was in question.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Dingleberry2 posted:

Ah, so now the distilling begins where we are informed of just what a terrible show it was that we got to enjoy for the last 10 weeks.

I loved it I'm just a not smart person and need some stuff explained.

If I was gonna poo poo on a show for being lazy, 3 Body was a way easier target. Shogun and even Fallout really surprised me.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can someone explain marika's background story?

Her dad was like the GoT Kingslayer guy so she's gotta pay the price for it

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Item Getter posted:

What's the ratio of spoken Japanese compared to English (or other languages) in this show overall?

It's mostly Japanese, like 3/4. The "Portuguese" which is acted in English is then mostly translated by one of the characters back to Japanese again, which is one of the most amusing components of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Like I'm a "dubs over subs" cretin, but this show requires reading subs. It's all paced knowing that Americans who went to public school will need to keep up. But it's not something you can have running in a background tab if that's your plan. It wouldn't make any sense if the Japanese was dubbed into English.