Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Mariko: You appear to be in good spirits today.
Blackthorne: I got my poo poo sucked crazy style!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I found myself asking if that was supposed to be a tsunami, as though I haven’t watched hundreds of hours of the 2011 Sendai tsunami that looked shot for shot practically identical.

It’s kind of amazing to be five episodes in and not one of them has faltered in any meaningful or disappointingly way. I continue to be impressed.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I'm no expert in feudal Japanese, but the translations are pretty accurate. They are talking in a Japanese equivalent of how people talk in Jane Austen novels. They are also using a lot of polite titles and phrasing depending on rank, which is hard to translate in English. Mariko does a bit of that with "He humbly asks you..." and "He politely says..."

And Yabushige has a definite tough-guy way of speaking when he's being a brute, like proto-yakuza talk, which is cute when he tries to code switch to super-polite speech when addressing Toranaga.

Edit; One thing they are doing a really good job of showing is how Mariko will sometimes massage a translation, but we get to see in subtitles what the person said before she translates. Those subtitles are accurate.

I noticed some phrases that I'm familiar with as having an "ai" sound in modern Japanese instead having an "ari" sound in the show, with an R consonant in the middle that completely breaks my comprehension. I spoke said phrase out loud to myself (I can't recall it at the moment) and it seemed like it would be the natural evolution of that word to drop the R the sound, but at the same time I was wondering if I was just imagining things. It's strange to me that I'm actually picking up so few phrases, given that I took 3 years of Japanese in High School and went on an exchange. Granted that was 20 years ago, but I can usually watch Japanese content and get SOMETHING out of it. I'm guessing they must be using the Japanese equivalent of Ye Olde English, but I would be curious to know the actual etymological basis of this era of Japanese, as I'm more or less clueless on the historical evolution of the language.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

counterfeitsaint posted:

This is a bit of a tangent, but speaking of Chernobyl, I remember Russia was real mad when that came out and they said they were gonna make their own version of the show, with blackjack and hookers, and, presumably, not full of western lies like the HBO version. Did that ever happen?

Да.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

In the 1980 miniseries, Blackthorne then explains that his map is like the skin of an orange laid flat. In the book he does the same, then nerds out about Mercator projections and cardinal directions. Not sure if the current show meant anything more than Blackthorne nervously explaining.

Blackthorne: "The Earth is a 4 corner simultaneous 4 – day time cube, like this. When the Sun shines upon Earth, 2 – major Time points are created on opposite sides of Earth – known as England, which is here, and the Japans, which is here."

Toranaga: "..."

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

No Mods No Masters posted:

I had to rewind one time before I could believe they actually wrote blackthorne saying "so this appears to be occurring." Even writing this I went back and checked again, hoping I was wrong.

:sigh:

What is the modern equivalent of this line? It’s on the tip of my tongue that it’s a riff on some niche aspect of nerd/doofus (?) culture that is just beyond my ability to fully grasp, like maybe someone’s catchphrase on Big Bang Theory or something?

Reading the comments in this thread, as someone who hasn’t read the book, I’m still fully engaged to in the story. That being said, yes, some of the oft-recurring story beats feel like they’ve run thin, but at this point I’m crossing my fingers that Blackthorne walked out of frame in the last scene he was in and went straight into his “we’re reforming the band” schtick he’s been harping on at least once per episode, that nobody even bothered to stop him or ask him where he was going, got his crew together, and slipped his ship out of port mysteriously. I won’t be surprised at all if the next time we see him, he’s blasting holes in the side of Osaka castle to bring the series to a close.

Would anybody who has read the book care to indulge me in a game of hot/cold with that supposition? No spoilers just hot/cold plz/thx :thumbsup:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ice cold lol

:hai:

I humbly ask the thread’s permission to end my life honourably for this substantial and inexcusable miscalculation.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

kiimo posted:

You keep using this word jabroni-suru

and it's...awesome

Jabroni-gai shimasu.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

shame on an IGA posted:

dude they inspired most of the Wu-Tang Clan mythos

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Es_v1NlM0

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I have a suspicion that the finale might be 90 minutes to really ham up the suspense. Anybody able to find that info a week in advance?

Edit: This online TV guide gives it a 90 minute block, but if that's with commercials, then they must all have been taking up 90 minutes, because each episode is a solid 50-60 minutes without commercials.

E:

glassyalabolas posted:

The hulu app indicates a runtime of 63 minutes.

:thx:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Anjin was Salieri, Toranaga was Mozart.