Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The zen garden scene was incredible

Its like an alien fell to Earth and said hey guess what there’s an intergalactic war going on and these other aliens you’ve made contact with are planning to take over Earth and have secret bases on the moon ready to go. You can see Toranaga’s brain catch on fire when he learns this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I was only 4 years old when I watched the original Shogun in 1980, it’s great that I don’t remember 99% of it now so that I can watch it unspoiled

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo the guy that Blackthorne hangs out with for a bit was Guyliner from Lost

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 28, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Can anyone who is old and remembers the 1980 version recount what it was like and how it compares? One thing I’m hearing is that it laid on Japanese stereotypes pretty hard, so much that Japanese audiences groaned over it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Just as a comparison, here's the 1980 version of the Zen Garden scene from episode 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWtFfxjLjUU

Wow

Pretty dry

The blocking in the new one is great, placing Toranaga higher up not only as a sign of his power but also so he can see the map from above

The gravity of finding out about Portugal’s bases in Macau putting everyone on alert

Mariko’s inner conflict about hearing about the Portuguese

That’s juicy stuff

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Real life William Adams worked for a predecessor to the Dutch East India Company so in the big picture his employers were a bigger threat to the world than the Portuguese

Edit: Also he’s English so his people would also later come up with the British East India Company, the second most evil corporation of all time

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 29, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The ending credits have a ridiculous about of Japanese culture accuracy consultants

A friend of a friend was trained in Japanese theater and commented about how authentic the movements were. Something that stuck out to me was the very regimented way how Toranaga moved his robe slack out of the way when he sat down to talk to the dying taiko

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Entropic posted:

People have forgotten that film is not the only medium SHOGUN has been adapted into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ_GcrzB_Pg

I hate every Portuguean I see

From Portugays

To Portugueze

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I wonder if Shogun also kicked off the ninja trend in kungfu movies in the 80’s

They’re always the bad guys (China vs Japan) and the trend ran from 1982-the mid 90’s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zSMOP0W6MEA&pp=ygUWNSBlbGVtZW50IG5pbmphcyB0cmVlcw%3D%3D

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Another time marker is that the Taiko says he wished he could’ve taken Korea together. The war where Korea repelled several invasion attempts by Japan happened 1592-1598

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah that’s the late 1200’s

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m thankful for all the history buffs in this thread, I knew bits and pieces of Japanese history but this is the first time I got to connect dots

Like the Christianity being banned was info I just had out of context before and I had no idea what set it off

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
lol all this time all I ever heard about Portugal in Japan was “that’s where the Japanese learned to fry chicken”

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
From what I understand it sounds like Japan was only good at land war and was a clown show with naval combat. Yi Sun-Sin may have been a genius strategist but the Japanese boats had smaller cannons and their usual strategy was “board the enemy boats so that we can have a land war on our boats.” Korean boats would always blow them up before they could get close enough, so the Japanese strategy was to Zerg rush them, which worked until Yi Sun-Sin got out of jail and back in charge of the Korean navy. Halfway through the war Korea brought out turtle boats with metal roofs and spikes so that they couldn’t be boarded. Japan was having all sorts of victories on land against Korea but without being able to control the seas they ended up throwing in the towel

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 1, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nm

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 1, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Count Thrashula posted:

If I understand right, the Portuguese have a base/trading port there that they're using to funnel guns into the hands of the Japanese rulers that they want to put into power (because they're Christians), so they've basically been puppeting various uprisings in Japan and fomenting chaos to eventually turn Japan into a de facto vassal state.

Man this show is really good. I just finished episode 2, and the scene in the zen garden where John echoes Toranaga's earlier "Unless I win" and then Toranaga smirks, gave me chills. So good.

To add to this, this is why you see Asian F Murray Abraham hanging out with the Jesuits and saying he’ll “take care of things” after hearing about Blackthorne escaping execution

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Phenotype posted:

So hey, for the serial killer goons out there, how awful is it to die from being boiled?

Do lobsters die instantly when they get thrown in the pot or is it horrible for them too? :ohdear:

As far as I know they die in a few seconds

It takes as much time for heat to penetrate an inch deep into lobster flesh as it does for humans. Because they’re small that’s almost instant death

Edit: I am not a serial killer

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 2, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think it was two catholic regents? F Murray Abraham and the guy with leprosy

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Great episode except one thing made me squint

Mariko taking up a pole blade and killing three assailants with it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Color me corrected!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The only thing that sucks about this show is that there will only be this one season. They've been going at a good pace so far though. Not as much of the politicking and intrigue as the book but hitting the same beats overall.

Studio execs coming up with Shogun 2

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

kiimo posted:

He uh, has other reasons to act that way.

micro reasons

Just a hunch that that’s going to be left out of this adaptation

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Hughmoris posted:

So in the first episode, did the baby have to commit sudoku too?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Collateral posted:

It's puzzling, why force a child to do such a thing.

If a baby can be sent to the corner store to get groceries they can do sudoku

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That cannon scene was so well done

When the son signals, the unexpected pop in the fog behind him, coming from an unexpected direction and in an unexpected part of the negative space in the frame

The fact that Blackthorne introduced chain shot a few minutes before, so when we see the guys vorpalized we immediately understand

So good

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

mossyfisk posted:

Those books were photographed by an absolute psychopath.

Yeah like maybe put the books in the correct order on the shelf so the spines make sense but pull Shogun out so you can see the cover

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Mariko: Shag goon

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nobunaga’s time was right before the taiko we see in the beginning of this series

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

BrotherJayne posted:

Show is good, and The Wire is too

Why you guys playing Go with a Shogi board

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Every time they cut to Ishido, for a split second I think it’s Ken Watanabe

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The only thing that’s making me scratch my head is wondering if the gardener killing himself over a pheasant is historically consistent with how willing Japanese peasants were to kill themselves over something or if it’s orientalist exotic bs

Like, a samurai killing himself after insulting a noble at court I can buy, but a gardener killing himself for disobeying orders over a dead bird? But who knows, I’m not an expert on 17th century Japanese culture. Am I off base here?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hanging is a Northern European and New England thing because you’d do it when the weather was cold, so it wouldn’t rot. Moisture would evaporate away and concentrate the flavors and give the enzymes in the body time to break down the muscle a little bit.

I haven’t read the book so I have no idea if Clavell knew, but Blackthorne might’ve been saved some embarrassment and food poisoning because Japan is way humid and who knows what time of the year it was and whether it was cool enough to do safely. The swarming flies seem to suggest otherwise

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You know, like the goon that tried dry aging the hitchhiker they killed.

Please expand

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/ivan_hernandez/status/1768384901621985284?s=46

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
(hangs swords above his living room tv)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
He’s good

at his job