Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

PostNouveau posted:

I thought the pheasant was gonna wind up as a joke about English food. :(

I thought it kind of was, along with everyone rejecting his stew (and his surprisingly enthused reaction to eating natto the previous week). It's just that the punchline to Blackthorne's lovely palate ends with someone dying. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I wanna give the actress playing Fuji a shoutout, she really nails the :shepface: multiple times when dealing with Blackthorne in the first half of the episode.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Any time Blackthorne says “the Japans” my heart tickles. :kimchi:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I was hoping for a bit more interaction between Blackthorne and his crew. Was that guy he encountered supposed to be the fictional counterpart for Jan Joosten? Because if it was, Shogun did him dirty (literally).

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

twistedmentat posted:

I hope Mariko gives it up before she's boiled alive by being thrown into a thermal vent

I have good news and bad news.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Blue Scream posted:

I haven’t read the book but my wife and I are convinced that this whole thing is Toranaga’s idea. Yeah it’s brutal to put his people in danger, but he’s brutal when necessary, and it would work more to his advantage to start a revolt against Ishido and Ochiba by making it look like they turned on Mariko after freeing her.

The first reason we thought of it was that the shinobi notably avoid killing Toranaga’s sleeping concubine and infant son. Yes, then they’re all trapped in that room and about to die, but I can see Toranaga’s original orders being “try to get them out if you can, but your top priority is inciting this rebellion.”

I will say that we had a hard time figuring out who was who in the dark rooms and we haven’t rewatched those scenes, so we might be reading it incorrectly. But I don’t see how sending shinobi after Mariko benefits Ishido, and I do see how it benefits Toranaga.

I’m not asking for spoilers from folks who know for sure how it shakes out, just wondering if anybody else saw it the same way? I’ve read reviews and everyone seems to be blaming it on Ishido, and that never occurred to either of us as a real possibility. So now I wonder if I, too, have been 5D chessed.

The key element you and your wife are missing is Yabushige.

Earlier in the episode he receives a message from Ishido saying that his life will be spared... if he does one favor for him. Then later in the episode Yabu starts killing his own men unprovoked so he could go down sight unseen to unlock a side entrance that allowed the shinobi inside. So the favor Ishido had asked of Yabu was allowing the shinobi into the castle to do their thing and he not interfere.

Edit: For the record I'm not a book reader, that's just my analysis of what I saw in the episode. I don't know how similar or different things shake out in the book.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Is it me or did Yabushige get played like a fiddle? Toranaga must have known he would be employed to do some underhanded poo poo that would force things to a head, Moriko being the plan A and B, and him being plan C.

Absolutely. Torunaga made clear in the previous episode how predictable Yabu (and also Blackthorne) are and used them like his trained hawks to do his bidding without them even realizing it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

No Mods No Masters posted:

Episode 7 suffers even more as the clear worst one by far with show wide hindsight because both the time spent developing toranaga's brother and the subplot with kiku's owner establishing the yoshiwara district don't really end up achieving much. That time could have been very productively used on other things

Unless they’re setups for season 2… :ninja:

There will be no season 2, God willing

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Cojawfee posted:

It's hilarious that Yabu was all "her poem sucked, why would you write about a leafless branch when it is currently spring?" And then his poem is just "I hope a dog eats me"

Here we thought all along he was Mac playing both sides so he always comes out on top, when in the reality he was actually Frank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

twistedmentat posted:

I think its funny that they just casually show that Fuji is Buntaro's sister, which adds another layer to his issues with Blackthrone.

I believe Fuji is Buntaro’s niece, not sister.