Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Anyway, I actually learned something interesting from the Reddit Shogun page about "I'd sooner pull a gourd from a horse" that Fuji says. She's quoting a proverb: 瓢箪から駒が出る "Hyoutan kara koma ga deru", which just means something completely unexpected. Literally, it translates as "A pony emerging from a gourd". Which is reversed from how it's subtitled.

The best part of the Reddit thread is people who are watching it with non-English subtitles, and the line is translated as:

“It’s going to rain red” (Mandarin proverb)
"I'd sooner thread a rope through a needle" (Romanian)
"I was not expecting that" (Brazilian Portuguese)
"I would rather jump off a bridge" (Spanish)

Interesting that for a show so fastidious about its language usage that there is so much difference going on here.

It's not a mistake to change the idioms in localization instead of literal translation, it's a choice. (Other than the reversal of gourd and horse)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Chances are your dad or an uncle probably has a copy of it

I'm watching this show because I remember seeing a library copy of Shogun at home in the 80s but I never read it.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Nybble posted:

Love that the whole town showed up to greet Blackthorne after his long night.

"There you will find no prying eyes from the outside world..."

Until we send you off in the morning

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Vorenus posted:

it reminds me of Band of Brothers in the single aspect that every scene feels like it has a purpose and fills that purpose.

I didn't think of this until I read it just now and it really rings for me as well. The worldbuilding is really great in this show. It's been a really pleasant surprise to have something to look forward to after the huge disappointment 3 Body was for me. Even disregarding the changes from the book, it just looks like a cheap TV movie and I was expecting with the production quality of top Netflix shows like Black Mirror.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

So, basically ball cap, oakleys and beard for 1600s Japan

Mantle
May 15, 2004

XYZAB posted:

Blackthorne: "The Earth is a 4 corner simultaneous 4 – day time cube, like this. When the Sun shines upon Earth, 2 – major Time points are created on opposite sides of Earth – known as England, which is here, and the Japans, which is here."

Toranaga: "..."

This is funny at a layer 1 level, but I feel it could be even more funny if I understood the second layer reference. What's this a reference to?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

That's funny considering it's food for poor people now.

Not sure if this is a joke or an actual misapprehension of what it means to be poor.

During university I did a year abroad in Taiwan and the class was having a discussion about people scavenging for tubers during wartime. I asked why they didn't just eat plain rice (without meat), because that was my idea of a subsistence diet. My teacher said what are you talking about, rice is for rich people. Later I learned about how labour and land intensive it is to make rice, harvesting, drying, husking, etc.

Compare this to digging up a tuber and eating it.

Yes, in America if you are poor, your subsistence diet is plain rice without meat, i.e. a rich person's diet on the global scale.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Dante posted:

You just blew my mind. I never would have recognized him.

I had to have this pointed out to me as well. Makes me want to go back and watch his filmography.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Vorenus posted:

It really does feel like like two lifelong friends going "Will you please back down you obstinate poo poo", and it takes on a whole new layer with Toranaga's tacit admission to Mariko that he and Hiromatsu pretty much planned the whole thing.

I appreciate the acting/writing that humanize Toranaga. IIRC in the books he's cold, calculating and essentially sees his closest retainers as pieces on a game board. In this portrayal, he has the self-control to make necessary sacrifices but you can see the effort it takes him to maintain the facade of defeat and heartless calculation. Definitely an improvement.

Where are you getting that Hiromatsu was involved in planning? There's no overt reference to it in the show and I don't see any implication that it was part of a planned act. Is it a book thing or something I missed in the episode?

Based solely on the TV source material, if the writers wanted to show Toranaga as cold, calculating and inhuman, allowing Hiromatsu to commit seppuku as part of his strategy to demonstrate submission is very effective. I don't see the writers humanizing him at all.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

BoldFace posted:

With the yen being as weak as it is, now is a good time to send more Hollywood money there to produce more period dramas like Shogun.

This was mostly filmed in Vancouver. Also weak dollar is helping

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Mordja posted:

Fine, then the USS Nimitz shows up.

Guys I heard the JDS Mirai is going to make a cameo in the last episode.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Does anyone know what would the guards have done if she was skilled enough to actually start killing them? In the actual fight they're clearly fighting purely defensively and they've got "oh gently caress this woman outranks us by so much I do not want to injure her" looks on their faces. Is there a threshold where they're allowed to stab her to make her knock it off?

She was skilled enough to kill one guard, and then they neutralized her.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

An interesting production I'd like to see is more of the "Asian Saga" done with many of the same cast members and the same producers. Is there any other production that has done something like this?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Out of the whole show the one big mystery for me is, what exactly was the plan for that bird that Anjin left to air dry? lol that British Cuisine is so loving bad that it killed people without eating it

Americans do it too: https://www.gundogmag.com/editorial/why-you-should-age-game-birds/462439

e: Goons too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...t#post445515802

Mantle fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 23, 2024

Mantle
May 15, 2004

snoremac posted:

The samurai fisherman speaking in accented English drove home how Mariko had mastered the language and the accent.

What does that say about her son's mastery? He had a British accent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can someone explain marika's background story? I really didn't understand what the gently caress the show was trying to say with her father being a traitor or whatever. At the risk of sounding racist I honestly couldn't tell the non-main actors apart sometimes especially during flashbacks like I have no idea who is suppose to be who unless they wore distinct clothing or whatever and they all wore the same loving things.

Also what was the -domo suffix suppose to mean? From context it seems like it's how a superior addressed his underling but I can't find anything about -domo as a suffix.

The dono/tono honorific is archaic these days, nowadays it's only used in formal writing like legal writing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_honorifics#:~:text=%22His%20Majesty%22.-,Dono%20%2F%20tono,sama%20in%20level%20of%20respect.