Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
TIL a “koku” is a year’s ration of rice for one man, or about 180 liters. Can’t wait for Blackthorn’s reaction when 240 of those (43,200 liters) gets delivered to his house next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Aww poo poo! Even Seppuku won’t be enough to take this back!

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Arglebargle III posted:

Wasn't the koku also a unit of gold that was supposed to be the same value?

Samurai without their own feifs were paid in Kokus, to literally replace what would have been grown on their farmland if they had a feif. It’s about 330 lbs of white rice per Koku. So about 40 Tons of rice is going to be dumped in his front yard on payday. Can’t wait to see the look on his face.

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS ALL THIS??

Your salary Anjin-sama.

THIS HAS TO BE A BLOODY JOKE? HOW CAN A MAN EAT ALL THIS? YOU WANT ME TO CATCH THE BLOODY BEETUS?

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 14, 2024

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Dr.Radical posted:

Speaking of which, Buntaro giving the old “I did it because of the booze” defense is some classic poo poo if you’re familiar with Japanese crime reporting

I enjoyed how he apologized not for beating Mariko, which was his right as her husband, but for disrupting the peace in Blackthorne’s house.

Reminds me of an episode of Rome where Pullo kills that one slave boy and Vorenus is furious at him, not because of the murder, but because he did it in his house, in front of his children.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Scoss posted:

I love the laugh that Toranaga gives when Blackthorne offers him his swords, clearly knowing their true provenance.

I figure he was laughing because he was just buried alive, and after nearly dying, all anyone can think of is finding his swords. Near death experience showed him how ridiculous the whole thing was.

Edit: akin to getting buried in an avalanche, saved, and everyone is frantically trying to find your phone.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 22, 2024

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Panzeh posted:

Also Blackthorne giving up the swords is more reasonable because him being caught out without his swords isn't such a big deal.

Hoping his original wish to roll with a brace of pistols becomes a thing.

Edit: Fuji’s totally going to cap some fool right? Who’s it gonna be? Buntaro? Yabu? Omi?

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 22, 2024

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

kiimo posted:

Better get some new guns, I don't think Fujiko is giving up hers

I thought he gave her one and kept one for himself.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

kiimo posted:

a brace is more than one though

Touche

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
In Episode 6, when Blackthorne gets a new pair of swords gifted to him from Toranaga, were those the same pair he gave to Toranaga in Episode 5, or an upgraded version?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
It’s a martial style haircut so in the show you see two type of people wearing them: the hardcore warriors like Buntaro, or the try-hard wannabes like Omi.

Note that Yabu and Toranaga don’t wear their hair in that style, because they see themselves as Lords and Governors rather than simple soldiers.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

M_Gargantua posted:

Every Episode Yabu makes me forget he boiled a man alive and watched whatever that kink play Kiku was doing at the start. Man is a horrible monster but he’s just such a lovable idiot you just forgive the murder

I laughed at the notion that Yabu thought the sailor might suddenly speak Japanese at the moment of death. “drat! I waited forever and it was only screams and jibberish! What a waste of time!”

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

nine-gear crow posted:

Meanwhile Yabu's in the background trying to keep up with the most gormless look on his face going "what the gently caress is a cube?"

Nagakado: Father, what about the giant tortoise?

Toranaga: Shush!

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

PostNouveau posted:

No one talks about the heir except to say they all love him and have his best interest at heart. Is it just that Shogun is a higher title so if Toranaga takes it, the kid doesn't remotely matter anymore?

A brief history lesson would help here.

At first we have a period of constant civil war. Rival Daimyos including Oda Nobunaga and Tokugawa Illasu are fighting it out. Tokugawa is losing and submits as a vassal to Nabunaga. Nabunaga unifies Japan after killing or forcing the submission of all the other Daimyos. He becomes the first Shogun, or supreme military commander of Japan.

At the moment of his glory, Nabunaga is betrayed by Akechi (Mariko’s father) and killed, and all his vassals plunge back into killing one another. One of his generals Hideyoshi, the peasant son of a nobody who ran away from home to join the army and rose through the ranks on sheer balls and grit, defeats all the other Daimyos, including again Tokugawa, and re-unifies the country.

Because Hideyoshi is the peasant son of a nobody, he can’t technically become “shogun”, but pays more prestigious noble family to adopt him and he becomes the equivalent of prime minister.

Hideyoshi has trouble having kids. He goes through several consorts over years and years, and finally his consort Ochiba gives him a single son, yay!

Hideyoshi rules for several decades and dies of old age, leaving a 5 year old kid. Before his death, he gathers five of his vassals, including Tokugawa, to act as regents until his son comes of age to take over the role.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 10, 2024

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
The whole reason he did that was to drive a wedge between Omi and Yabu.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Buzzzzzzz hmm, what’s that up in the sky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Vampire Panties posted:

I thought Mariko was obliquely referencing this when she said "I'm not a peasant to be trod upon"

Oh she was directly referencing Ishido’s heritage. Even the late Taiko’s wife warned Ochida with her dying breath not to trust that ambitious commoner, he’s up to no good!