Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I read the novel last year for the first time and despite some criticisms I had that were mostly rooted in the era in which it was written, I was utterly locked in and engaged. I watched the first episode and was leaning forward the whole time. They cut remarkably few corners and the adherence to the events of the book so far was astounding to me. I look forward to the rest but I gotta watch it with my bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo, watched the 1st episode and it's basically the world I saw in my mind when I read the book, absolutely loving incredible and goddamn if you can't see all the money they spent on it :stwoon:

lol dude me too. Like all the details are exactly how I imagined them. The cliff-side rescue in particular gobsmacked me in how close it was to my imagination.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

CatstropheWaitress posted:

lol people need to find better words to say a show is good.

People really lack the vocabulary and, probably, critical skills to describe what they like and dislike (and what is objectively and subjectively 'good') about media in general. For instance, True Detective's latest season is divisive and most people can't seem to articulate why their opinions differ from others and default to making ad hominem attacks against those they disagree with.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Show continues to rule. Once again a scene played out and looked exactly like I had imagined it, when Ishido is inspecting the departing party and Toranaga slips into the sedan. The mise en scene is also just generally amazing in this show. What a breath of fresh air after the train wreck that was True Detective S4.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

So obviously the end of episode 4 is a huge provocation and everything, but why is everyone suddenly like "Oh now it's gonna be war". Toranaga snuck out of Osaka, killing a bunch of guards in the process, expressly against the orders of the regents. After that, wasn't war inevitable? I mean barring something like Toranaga's abject surrender or possibly suicide.

It's more complicated than the other posters have said. The group that attacked Toranaga's party as he was escaping were specifically one of the Christian lords acting independently of the regency council. They were trying to kill Blackthorne, in fact, and at the time they didn't even know Toranaga was there until all the poo poo hit the fan. Because the Christian lord was acting on his own, the casualties are not of concern to Ishido. The messengers that got murked here were an honor guard sent by Ishido personally.

Anyway, what a fantastic episode. My friends and I all chorused "holy poo poo" when the first cannon shot hit.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I'm a sucker for good mise en scene and this show is a loving feast for the eyes. I've watched a few episodes multiple times because I love all the attention to detail in all the armors and sets, it's incredibly immersive. I'm not too happy about the subtle focus vignetting they do in some scenes, but the rest more than makes up for it.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

So he conveniently wrote his own journal in Portuguese?

Yeah, I think this is a plot hole tbh. It's conceivable he wrote in Portuguese I guess but I don't think it's likely. I'm willing to let it slide, but it definitely feels like a contrivance they tried to slip past the audience for narrative convenience.

edit: the other possibility I suppose is that he wrote it in Latin, which Mariko can read, but that also begs the question of "why?"

edit edit: You know what, I thought about it more and the Jesuits would know that if the journal was in English then the Japanese would never be able to translate it without Blackthorne. It makes sense, then, that they translated it to Portuguese because then they'd know Mariko could translate it further. They gave it to Toranaga explicitly in an attempt to discredit Blackthorne.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm not sure what it's supposed to be. I know they stole someone's book and that's how they were able to find the passage to the Japans. And then they also had a log of them burning Catholic settlements. So the book they found would be in Portuguese, and their own notes would likely be in English or in Dutch. I assume that the priests in Osaka did not read English well, because the book had that note that looks like they are trying to translate "burned to hell" into Portuguese. But if they don't read English, how did they even know much about the log in the first place? And how would the Japanese ever even translate it? It seems to me that if the book is a log of what Blackthorne's crew has done, that would be considered proof of piracy, would be written in either English or Dutch, and thus, be complete gibberish to anyone but Blackthorne.

I'm sure now that you're right. The priests DID translate it to Portuguese.

Saganlives fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 13, 2024

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Dessel posted:

This is the one thing I learned about listening to History of Japan podcasts, they measured wealth according to that, taxed according to that, etc. Which made for certain...interesting conundrums when your vassals or whatever decided to also go into some secondary income sources that weren't rice-based at some point in history.

I'm probably going to be made fun of, and it can't really be since the show clearly has a strong Japanese cast and advisors but it almost looked liked the ladies were almost curtsying or bowing less low than the men in the first scene to honour Toranaga, which doesn't seem accurate. Admittedly the camera cuts fast and what-not but it bothered me. Curtsying was definitely not a thing (and is generally not) in Japan.

I think their komonos were far more restrictive of their movement, so they couldn't bow as deeply as the men. I suspect that's why they add the little curtsy knee-tuck as well, but I'm just speculating here.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Yeah, they hooked up on the DL

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Sierra Nevadan posted:

My library has an original copy ebook, but there is like 45 people in line for it.

Not really the place for it, but goddamnit man the whole situation wrt to libraries and digital copies of books makes my blood boil in ways more serious injustice does not.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I love that this show is able to properly show rather than merely convey the really epic stuff. I love all the dialogue and intrigue and mise en scene, and having that stuff punctuated by these moments of immense scale or impact really sells the "oh gently caress" factor of those moments.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Hirsute posted:

I've never hung game before, does it actually start to smell? He says there will be a "terrible stench" after a week, but aging a pheasant shouldn't cause it to rot, right? He is kinda dumb though maybe he saw someone hang a pheasant for a week once in the proper conditions and just thought that's what you always do.

Not to single you out specifically, but a lot of people seemed to miss this part: He specifically says, as he's hanging it, that his father used to poach game from the local lord's land and that his job as a child was to clean and hang it. I think it's a mix of "doesn't properly account for the humidity" (he says it requires proper weather) and backwards bumpkin knowledge that isn't entirely correct. (like bathing)

VVV - at least to the first part, since Mariko was already married she was no longer the property of her father and thus I don't think she was subject to the punishment. Because if she was, it would be punishing her husband by taking his property rather than her father. The newborn in episode 1 was executed because it's father still "owned" it and he specifically offered to end his entire bloodline to wipe away his dishonor.

Saganlives fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 21, 2024

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

That was a great episode. I loved the whole sequence between Blackthorne, Mariko and the Courtesan. Incidentally, as someone who tries to be very deliberate in their choice of words to convey proper meaning, something that really bugs me about Mariko in the show and the book is that she doesn't translate exactly and often twists the meaning of both parties. I understand its an integral part of her character and how she survives politically, and even that it's part of what makes her an interesting character, but it still drives me crazy. I get frustrated on Blackthorne's behalf even when he doesn't know she's doing it, lol

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

The cinematography in this show is also on another level. I was particularly taken with this shot, the intimacy it conveys is astounding.

https://i.imgur.com/ExR350f.mp4

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

Maybe this is a big thing to say but I think this is honestly in the running for a GOAT show for costumes. Not to reduce anyone's achievement, but it's kinda easy to make great shots like that when you have unbelievably beautiful costumes to film

Toranaga's drip in particular is immaculate.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

A friend and I started watching Fallout and man. Its okay, which is a compliment because I figured it would be unrepentant trash. But its severely lacking the cinematic artistry of this show, which is an absence I'm afraid I'm gonna notice in a lot of shows from here on out. The two things that really stand out to me, in comparison, are the mise-en-scene and cinematography.

In Shogun the mise-en-scene is exquisite and immersive, plopping you right into 17th century Japan. The costumes are intricate and worn well, the sets feel like actual places that exists beyond the confines of the frame. In Fallout the mise-en-scene is present, and perhaps even dominating because they're trying really hard to translate a cartoony video game to the screen, but it fails to convey a sense of place. The colors of everything are bright and saturated, which normally I'm in favor of in contrast to color filters and desaturating everything (something Shogun is guilty of), but nothing is done with it. They are just bright colors for the sake of bright colors, because the vault suit blues really contrasted against the desert brown in the games. It makes the show look and feel like a cartoon, which I'm sure is part of it's goal and in that regard they succeed, but it ultimately feels to me like watching kids play with action figures.

As for cinematography, Shogun masterfully captures any given scene using the camera and blocking to tell an emotional story in parallel to the textual one. Some examples that really stood out to me being the scene with Blackthorne and Mariko in the tea house, and Mariko with Buntaro during the tea ceremony. Both of those scenes are relatively low key but simultaneously seizes you by the eyeballs and instructs you on how the characters are feeling using nothing but superb framing and subtle camera movement. Fallout, meanwhile, is flat as gently caress and blocked like a commercial most of the time. It feels like the only concern of their cinematographer is capturing coverage and making sure everyone is in frame.

It's like watching Bob Ross render beauty out of nothing with clever brush strokes and tool use with the effortless ease of a master vs one of those spray paint boardwalk artists that render quaint little celestial scenes by using pans as stencils.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I thought the flick was to get the blood off, though realistically it wouldn't get it all. As to resheathing, I always assumed it was to do with honor and the importance of swords. I.e. they are not to be drawn unless for imminent use. I don't actually know, however.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Did Kingdom win anything for that? Because it was as good if not better.

Kingdom's hat game is unmatched on the screen.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

cant cook creole bream posted:

I've been meaning to check this show out sometimes.
How does it rate on a scale from Last Samurai to Blue Eye Samurai?

I think it's on par with Blue Eye Samurai, but they are very different. Where they overlap though is in the artistic approach to the subject matter, and they are both magnificent in that respect. This show is 95% politics and people talking, as opposed to Blue Eye that was more balanced w/ action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Blue Eye Samurai is definitely a follow up show to watch for all the people who were miffed at the lack of major action scenes in Shogun.

Yes, absolutely. :haibrow: