Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's a good book, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mystes posted:

It's actually quite remarkable how it looks and sounds almost exactly like a period drama produced in Japan would (but higher budget than it would be if it was a Japanese tv show).

Usually a show produced outside of Japan wouldn't feel like a Japanese period drama even if they put effort into accuracy and there weren't any specific language issues or anything like that.

I have a sneaking suspicion that an actual Japanese production would cast an actress that looks different as Mariko. The Japanese nerds complained about Rinko Kikuchi in Pacific Rim (!?, lol), for example, as an example of perfidious Westerners casting someone who doesn't fit their beauty standards.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Cool show so far, impressive production for sure but I keep getting super distracted by Jarvis' blue contacts. It really clashes with the detail of everything because it doesn't look good. But maybe it's just me because actors wearing contact lenses to change eye color has a always bugged me and Blackthorne's eyes are a weirdly fake shade of blue too. Not Johnny Depp in Black Mass bad but not far off.

I haven't read the source material or seen the original adaptation but is there a major reason why they did that? I know they bring up his eye color briefly but is it a big thing going forward or something because I would've preferred if they'd just not done it and axed any reference to his eye color.

His physical contrast to the Spanish is slightly important to the narrative.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
boiling a criminal rn; i don't get what the big deal is

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

I guess this could be approaching some dangerous fanfiction line, but maybe with this creative team they could be trusted to do a season 2 covering the siege of osaka castle.

Given how much the marketing material seems to be playing up lady chacha (I forget her clavell name) relative to her role in the book, maybe they're thinking about it

This will just speedrun the Game of Thrones S7 quality drop, IMO.

The showrunners are doing an excellent job, but in all the talking about how dated and horny Clavell is, people seem to be forgetting that most of why this show is good is Clavell actually being a really loving good writer.

Jehde posted:

I kind of hate this show.

I love the premise, the acting, the costumes, the sets, the attention to historicity and the details put into it, just the sheer scope of what they're accomplishing in filming this sort of thing.

But I hate the scheming plots shoehorned in every few minutes every episode.

I get that it's probably all part of the book, but so much of it just makes me yell at my TV for how dumb it comes off to me. It reminds me of Game of Thrones in the worst way, and I wish it didn't.

I don't doubt that I'm in the minority (of probably just me) that wishes this stuck to simpler plots with less scheming. It's likely just the way the plots are shoehorned in everywhere. They're probably fine in the grander narrative arc, I just hate them being introduced constantly in the way they are.

I'm bad at enjoying drama, I wish I appreciated backstabbing and random sex more.

Blame the Japanese! Most of this is based on real events.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/Tom_Rowsell/status/1767153813339664758

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Shut it down, boys. Apparently Blackthorne's pistols are late-1600s flintlocks instead of late-1500s doglocks. Will Western media ever get Western culture right? Sigh.

literally unwatchable

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I love americans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

withak posted:

Delete it from your youtube history.