Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Larryb posted:

Only minor quibble I have about LA Zuko is that they made him actually fight back during the Agni Kai, otherwise he's probably the best all around character in this adaption so far.

I don't feel that Zuko "fought back" in the sense that he actually had his heart in it. In the original, it's a very quick scene of him realizing he's fighting Ozai, and then he immediately folds and Ozai walks over and scars him.

In the new version I feel what they did was more monstrous, because you could claim that Zuko demonstrated the tenants of the Agni Kai. He "won" but he didn't win Ozai's way. The original series seemed to place a big focus on Agni Kai not being about injuring your opponent in a lasting way, which is why Zuko being permanently scarred is such a big deal. Zuko's attitude when he thinks he's just facing the general he mouthed off to always read to me as "yeah, we'll see who's the better bender and who could theoretically kill the other in a fight to the death". It's effectively the Paul and Jamis fight in Dune, Zuko is skilled enough to "win" but he didn't realise the rules had been changed and now he has to prove he has the "nerve" or whatever "killer instinct" Ozai is looking for.

Remember, all the added stuff with Ozai and Azula is more just to really demonstrate how awful a person he is, so Zuko obliging his father, as heir to the throne, let's not forget, isn't a character assassination. This is to show how far he goes in the series, he fought back because he was told to, but he still held onto his empathy. He didn't deliver fatal blows when he could, he held back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah that’s fair, it still gets the same point across regardless

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Aces High posted:

I don't feel that Zuko "fought back" in the sense that he actually had his heart in it. In the original, it's a very quick scene of him realizing he's fighting Ozai, and then he immediately folds and Ozai walks over and scars him.

In the new version I feel what they did was more monstrous, because you could claim that Zuko demonstrated the tenants of the Agni Kai. He "won" but he didn't win Ozai's way. The original series seemed to place a big focus on Agni Kai not being about injuring your opponent in a lasting way, which is why Zuko being permanently scarred is such a big deal. Zuko's attitude when he thinks he's just facing the general he mouthed off to always read to me as "yeah, we'll see who's the better bender and who could theoretically kill the other in a fight to the death". It's effectively the Paul and Jamis fight in Dune, Zuko is skilled enough to "win" but he didn't realise the rules had been changed and now he has to prove he has the "nerve" or whatever "killer instinct" Ozai is looking for.

Remember, all the added stuff with Ozai and Azula is more just to really demonstrate how awful a person he is, so Zuko obliging his father, as heir to the throne, let's not forget, isn't a character assassination. This is to show how far he goes in the series, he fought back because he was told to, but he still held onto his empathy. He didn't deliver fatal blows when he could, he held back.

Similarly I don't have a real problem with the changes to Bumi, since the live action show is really strongly underlining how scared and traumatized everyone in the present has become from a century of war, and with Bumi it's his bad jokes and erratic behavior having come to be a skin stretched over a century of loss and grief. If that's all that happened I'd agree that it was a negative change, but it's not. It also ties into the theme of the Avatar's return bringing new hope to those who had lost it. In this case, finding his old friend buried under there and helping him out to rediscover his old self. He ends the episode in the same place he did in the animated show.

Now, his new readiness to face the world is undercut by Omashu being taken at the end of the season, but that's right out of the original. If they keep him still ready to fight from the inside even with his city fallen, it's still back to the original series status quo.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

If we start season 2 with some kind of a time skip (maybe even a couple weeks), then I could see news of Omashu falling as a call to action for Aang. Maybe it also ties into a sort of "I've taught you everything I can with waterbending, Master Katara can continue your training, but you need to find an earthbending master" parting from Pakku, and Aang feels that Bumi would be a good teacher.

That or they go with the way it was in the original, and Omashu flying a Fire Nation banner is a huge surprise to the Gaang

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Based on that youtube video, I think there is going to have to be a time skip. The kid who plays Aang is now 14 and aang is supposed to be 12. By the time they start filming stuff, he's going to be 15 or 16. So there might need to be some sort of montage where they are in hiding and Aang is practicing water bending to explain how he's a teenager and not a preteen anymore.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Cojawfee posted:

Based on that youtube video, I think there is going to have to be a time skip. The kid who plays Aang is now 14 and aang is supposed to be 12. By the time they start filming stuff, he's going to be 15 or 16. So there might need to be some sort of montage where they are in hiding and Aang is practicing water bending to explain how he's a teenager and not a preteen anymore.

I don’t think it’ll take 2 years to start filming. I heard they were well on their way to having written/planned the next season in anticipation of a renewal. Filming for season 1 was November 2021 to June 2022 so there was a lengthy delay between filming and release.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The only complaint I have about LA Zuko is that his scar should be worse.

In the cartoon he's missing his eyebrow on that side and his ear is managed. In the comics they even establish that part of the reason he's still training with Iroh on the ship is that his balance has been ruined by the injury and he's having to readjust.

In the LA it's not really a realistic looking scar at all.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Moving the Mechanist to Omashu worked a lot better than I expected, but trying to sandwich Jet into the mix absolutely did not. Also it was weird that they were just hanging out in a forest outside the city? IMO they should have leaned into the urban aspect and had them hanging out in an abandoned/half ruined building, with scaffolding standing in for the ewok-tree-village vibe.

Overall I thought the series was best when it was doing its own thing, or expanding on things that were rushed over in the original, and worse when it was trying to stuff as much as they could from the animated series into their limited run time. Also nthing everyone's complaints about Katara's rough edges being taken away.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Moving the Mechanist to Omashu worked a lot better than I expected, but trying to sandwich Jet into the mix absolutely did not.

It's because they were also adapting The Great Divide :ssh:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Moving the Mechanist to Omashu worked a lot better than I expected, but trying to sandwich Jet into the mix absolutely did not. Also it was weird that they were just hanging out in a forest outside the city? IMO they should have leaned into the urban aspect and had them hanging out in an abandoned/half ruined building, with scaffolding standing in for the ewok-tree-village vibe.

Overall I thought the series was best when it was doing its own thing, or expanding on things that were rushed over in the original, and worse when it was trying to stuff as much as they could from the animated series into their limited run time. Also nthing everyone's complaints about Katara's rough edges being taken away.

I disagree with this. In fact I think tying Jet into the Mechanist storyline wast the best plot rewrite the show did. Those two storylines actually work really well together. Especially since both characters are in the wrong. Thematically their motives tie together really well. One is doing wrong in order to improve their world. The other is doing wrong in order to protect their world. I think it works really well the series did it.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Love the amazingly diverse cast but why for the LOVE of GOD did they ruthlessly whitewash the accents? They are all beautifully Asian and Indian and Indigenous and they all sound like Anderson Cooper banging Wolf Blitzer. Forget national accents, except for the surfer dude minstrel, nobody even has a US regional accent!

Swear to God it sounds like they made everyone listen to hours and hours of the original VAs and told them their jobs depended on sounding as much like them as possible.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean...these are all American or Canadian actors. They're speaking their own accents. They're just speaking.

What fakey foreign accent should they even be trying to inflect? What's a Fire Nation accent? :raise:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

They certainly didn't "whitewash" the extras, I chuckled a bit when they got to the Northern Water Tribe. It was like I was hanging with my buddy's family again (they're Cree)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

With the exception of maybe Bumi pretty much all the principal characters used their natural voices. Which is for the better. The actor that played Iroh specifically said he was not going to do any kind of accent even though obviously it would be different from Iroh in the cartoon.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

navyjack posted:

Love the amazingly diverse cast but why for the LOVE of GOD did they ruthlessly whitewash the accents? They are all beautifully Asian and Indian and Indigenous and they all sound like Anderson Cooper banging Wolf Blitzer. Forget national accents, except for the surfer dude minstrel, nobody even has a US regional accent!

Swear to God it sounds like they made everyone listen to hours and hours of the original VAs and told them their jobs depended on sounding as much like them as possible.

Americans just never care about accents. It's a real thing
I think that's partly why UK actors can have such an easy time in the US doing an "american accent" but it's harder to do it the other way around.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Taear posted:

Americans just never care about accents. It's a real thing
I think that's partly why UK actors can have such an easy time in the US doing an "american accent" but it's harder to do it the other way around.
It also has something to do with the way ya'll form words in your mouth - American actors more or less need to unlearn how to speak in order to do any accent convincingly.

And there are still some they can't do - to be honest as an Australian I really wish Americans would strop trying; the only time I've found an actor convincing was Dev Patel but he spent nearly a year learning how to do the accent and still there are moments where his native received pronunciation bleeds through.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Rougey posted:

It also has something to do with the way ya'll form words in your mouth - American actors more or less need to unlearn how to speak in order to do any accent convincingly.

And there are still some they can't do - to be honest as an Australian I really wish Americans would strop trying; the only time I've found an actor convincing was Dev Patel but he spent nearly a year learning how to do the accent and still there are moments where his native received pronunciation bleeds through.

You know Dev Patel isn't american right? It just makes it sound like you're saying he is, here

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Taear posted:

You know Dev Patel isn't american right? It just makes it sound like you're saying he is, here
That's my point exactly - he's not american and it still took him the better part of a year.

Ok fine, maybe I should have said "BRITISH ACCENT TOP OF THE MORNIN'" rather than "received pronunciation" to make it clear.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, Dev Patel doesn't have an RP accent.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Dev Patel has a London accent.

It’s easier for Brits to do Australian because if some of the British accent leaks through they just end up sounding like they’ve come from Adelaide.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Dev Patel has a London accent.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I was pretty sure that a London accent falls under the blanket of RP accents.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rougey posted:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I was pretty sure that a London accent falls under the blanket of RP accents.

No. RP specifically is what the English upper class sound like. A London accent is a working class accent. The Queen had an RP accent; Dev Patel most certainly doesn’t.

Often with RP it tends to be something people are schooled in; at one point if you worked for the bbc for eg you’d have been required to adopt one. Kinda like transatlantic accents in old Hollywood films.

That’s why it’s called ‘received pronunciation’ because you went to a super expensive private school and someone would beat you until you learned to talk like that instead of how you grew up.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 9, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Can't we go back to the serious issue, that Paul Sun-Hyung Lee of Calgary, Toronto, and an entire few months as an infant in Daejon was coached into a damned yankee accent instead of his native Mako impersonation?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

One small change that I noticed that I didn't like is making Azula not as completely in control / cold and calculated as she was in the beginning. Plus, she is already in a kind of conflict with her father.

I know that in the original her descent into unhingedness was relatively sudden and this is a chance to correct it, but if she already starts out in this condition what are you gonna do with her for two seasons.

Also Azula being a psychopath, even as a little kid, was one of my favourite bits in the original. But that might still be kept.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Yeah I can't imagine the LA Azula explaining to Long Feng how he has already lost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eo96uZG9Qo

...they're going to make this into some kind of bending battle in the show aren't they?

But Book 2 is pretty Azula-heavy so she will probably have a lot of character development so who knows how she will change over the course of it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

We'll have to see, I heard some rumblings that Ba Sing Se is going to be VERY different (but they only JUST got renewed, so who even knows what they had in mind) so who knows what they have in mind for the Dai Li.

I mean, if they're trying to be as close to those plot points as they can, Azula's probably gonna have to show up with several new ranks in deception, at the very least. I will stay positive that they know what they're doing and Azula's counter-counter coup will come across and not feel like an rear end pull that they had to include because of how integral it was to the season 2 plot

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Bleck posted:

She develops a lot of good instincts and is clearly a prodigy herself, but she also benefits greatly from having a teacher - she goes from a talented but inexperienced waterbender to one of the best in the world under Pakku's tutelage because she put in the effort to develop her natural talents. I think having Katara's bending being almost entirely self-taught not only undermines the feminist underpinnings of her season one character arc, but also devalues the main character's quest - if someone can become a master bender by just fuckin' believing in themselves or whatever, then why does Aang, or any avatar for that matter, need to find teachers from the other disciplines?

The show doesn't "Mary Sue" Katara as some of the chuddier parts of the fanbase have been saying, but I do think most of the changes in her arc were for the worse.

Yeah all this, plus her and Aang are learning waterbending in tandem in the cartoon, and Aang seems like a natural in it which Katara can both learn from and push her to also be really good. And for Aang to be good at waterbending naturally doesn't feel cheap cause he's the avatar and also a sort of bending prodigy.

I don't know why the show changed so much stuff that people didn't have any problems with. i'd think if you're doing a remake/adaption, you'd address the small missteps the cartoon made instead of trying to just do things differently for ??? reasons. Unless the creators of this show really thought all the things they changed were missteps in the original which would be a real :psyduck:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ccs posted:

I don't know why the show changed so much stuff that people didn't have any problems with. i'd think if you're doing a remake/adaption, you'd address the small missteps the cartoon made instead of trying to just do things differently for ??? reasons. Unless the creators of this show really thought all the things they changed were missteps in the original which would be a real :psyduck:

The first episode was very obviously focus-grouped to death; in the opening 10 minutes it explains the plot to you three times. It wouldn't surprise me if other weird changes are just overreactions to the kind of feedback you get from people who can't understand a cartoon for children

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Ccs posted:

Yeah all this, plus her and Aang are learning waterbending in tandem in the cartoon, and Aang seems like a natural in it which Katara can both learn from and push her to also be really good. And for Aang to be good at waterbending naturally doesn't feel cheap cause he's the avatar and also a sort of bending prodigy.

Removing Aang learning the push/pull technique from Katara being the first move he learns on screen loving sucks, because its the last move he uses in the entire show to demonstrate how far he's come and it's a great payoff that now the live action will miss out on. Of course they will still have him use it after the final fight but it won't mean as much now.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

PriorMarcus posted:

Removing Aang learning the push/pull technique from Katara being the first move he learns on screen loving sucks, because its the last move he uses in the entire show to demonstrate how far he's come and it's a great payoff that now the live action will miss out on. Of course they will still have him use it after the final fight but it won't mean as much now.

Tbh I never noticed that (way cool though), and I'm not sure how many people remembered this one bit of like episode 7 during the finale.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Has there been anything about Azula's actress Elizabeth Yu being fired?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Has there been anything about Azula's actress Elizabeth Yu being fired?

As far as I'm aware that hasn't happened, why?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Larryb posted:

As far as I'm aware that hasn't happened, why?

Lots of "fans" are demanding it because she's not mature sexy like the cartoon version is. It's nonsense from a toxic side of the community.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Asked a nerdy (non pejorative) younger dude in town if he'd watched it yet, sure that he was a fan of the original. He was aghast. "You're joking! I'd never watch that! *various criticisms and explanations of departures from the animated original*"

Which is weird cuz he said he didn't watch it.

"Yeah I think you'd hate it man, good choice."

Fandom is weird. Reminded me of how irritated I was when they remade total recall and robocop.

In my defense, those were already live action, had cool physical effects, and were done masterfully by Verhoven. Plus I heard those remakes were just soulless cash grabs that predictably sucked.

I hope the people running the remake listen to the folks who actually appreciate what they're doing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PriorMarcus posted:

Lots of "fans" are demanding it because she's not mature sexy like the cartoon version is. It's nonsense from a toxic side of the community.

After further research it comes from a very unsourced TikTok.

And people are out there showing their whole rear end trying to bodyshame her for being "fat."

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

PriorMarcus posted:

By "fans" do you mean like two random assholes on twitter, and then someone like Vice had a slow news day so they're trying to turn those two assholes into a "Internet SLAMS fatass actress, DEMANDING she be fired immediately for not being sexy" clickbait bullshit? Cause that's kind of what it sounds like.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

God forbid a loving teenager still has some baby fat.

Jesus christ

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Coomer brain is out of control, if you actually go back and look at the cartoon and not sexy fanart Azula had the same bobble head "child" proportions as everyone else. It's like when people complained about Lola Bunny being made unsexy and it turns out they were referencing an edit of Space Jam that meticulously doctored every frame to make her hips and breasts larger.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the internet was a mistake.

also wrt to Sokka or some other character flaws only being like one or two episode gimmicks in the og cartoon, I feel like the context/difference of weekly releases VS streaming service season dumps allows things to stew and age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I think Azula is fine. She doesn’t quite scream psycho like the cartoon did, but whether that’s the actress, the script or the inherent ability of a cartoon to emote is unclear to me.

Not a fan of Mai though. Though I think most of that are her impractical (only works in cartoons) clothing.