Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Teek posted:

They mentioned events from a few of the skipped season 1 episodes, but there are still 3 or 4 skipped season 1 episodes which could feature in season 2. Imprisoned, The Fortuneteller, Bato of the Water Tribe and The Deserter from what I can figure. Bringing in Bato again may also allow them to revisit some of the adjusted trial backstory.

Would be nice to throw in a least two downtime low stakes bonding episodes next season by using some of that. My pitch for season 2:

Episode 1: Waterbending training starts, do skipped Granpakku reveal, content from The Avatar State
Episode 2: Combine The Fortuneteller and Bato of the Watertribe to build more on the siblings
Episode 3: Aang finishes out water training and we start Imprisoned
Episode 4: Gaang journeys into Earth kingdom to find Earth bender and we get Toph tease
Episode 5: Toph intro
Episode 6: Zuko alone
Episode 7: The Chase and Bitter Work
Episode 8: The Library and stuck in desert cliffhanger finale

Then season 3 can be finding Appa and intrigue of Ba Sing Se.

Having The Avatar State plot occur at the Northern Water Tribe is a very elegant idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Ideally you'd make the first episode a riff on The Avatar State and have Aang learning water bending in the North still, but have the leaders there try and trigger the Avatar State by force instead of having it be the random Earth Kingdom general. Then the Gaang decides to peace out at the end and go to the Earth Kingdom to find his master there.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The one change I can't get over, and I'd love to hear the writers discuss, is Aang not actually running away.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Larryb posted:

Yeah, in this version he just went for a joyride to clear his head and was about to come back when he got caught in the storm (yet the show still treats it like he abandoned his duty)

It's weird as gently caress that they have multiple characters call him out on it but he never stands-up for himself, and him and Sokka/Katara never discuss it.

It's missing beats like this that really makes the show feel more like a 'greatest hits' and less like it has it's own identity.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BRJurgis posted:

I really appreciated what the show did. I do agree with some of the above, but perhaps less critically.

Overall I absolutely loved the live action show. It was great. I just think that with minor adjustments you could make it stand by itself instead of being in conversation with the cartoon so much.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Argue posted:

Not sure how I feel about Aang and Zuko actually having a conversation following the Blue Spirit adventure but I'm leaning towards good

Just a little thing but this is from the cartoon too, nearly word for word.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

One of their scenes is, the scene where Aang monologues to an implacable Zuko, but I think the scene before it where they actually talk to each other while hiding in a shed is a pure show invention.

Oh sorry, yes, that's 100% right.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Crumps Brother posted:

X-O already covered it, but one of the few things I'd heard someone mention before I started watching the show was a complaint about Katara becoming a master out of nowhere. So I ended up having that on my mind during my watch and thought it was really well done how organically they showed her progressing as the season went on.

One of the main problems with not showing Aang learning from her is you miss the payoff in the final episode that brings it all full circle, which I would of thought they would want to keep intact.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The only complaint I have about LA Zuko is that his scar should be worse.

In the cartoon he's missing his eyebrow on that side and his ear is managed. In the comics they even establish that part of the reason he's still training with Iroh on the ship is that his balance has been ruined by the injury and he's having to readjust.

In the LA it's not really a realistic looking scar at all.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Ccs posted:

Yeah all this, plus her and Aang are learning waterbending in tandem in the cartoon, and Aang seems like a natural in it which Katara can both learn from and push her to also be really good. And for Aang to be good at waterbending naturally doesn't feel cheap cause he's the avatar and also a sort of bending prodigy.

Removing Aang learning the push/pull technique from Katara being the first move he learns on screen loving sucks, because its the last move he uses in the entire show to demonstrate how far he's come and it's a great payoff that now the live action will miss out on. Of course they will still have him use it after the final fight but it won't mean as much now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Larryb posted:

As far as I'm aware that hasn't happened, why?

Lots of "fans" are demanding it because she's not mature sexy like the cartoon version is. It's nonsense from a toxic side of the community.