Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
So I guess my save file is hosed then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Ouroboros posted:

There's a locked door with a keypad that's always been inaccessible I think? There's no option to use an electricians kit on it and using the keypad doesn't work...

The keypad should work. You should have gotten the code in a previous step, which should have set a flag that makes your character punch in the correct code to open the door.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I had to use the keypad two times before it worked. It might be a bit buggy.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

blastron posted:

The keypad should work. You should have gotten the code in a previous step, which should have set a flag that makes your character punch in the correct code to open the door.

Yeah, I never got the code and I've tried the keypad about 20 times nothing doing. I got two radio messages from Tobias when I entered the garage but nothing about a code, and I've run around every inch of the auto shop map for over an hour and nothing has happened.

Petty Haberdasher
Jul 28, 2012
Worth double checking the pneumatic tube, just in case the code or whatever is needed to flag that door open is in there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That reminds me how weird it is that the process of unlocking a tech is that you press the buy button in the computer in the garage, then a little door opens and the unlock you bought is dropped on the floor as an item, then you have to go pick it up to actually gain the ability to build it. They clearly did want to have blueprints that could be acquired from other sources, they just never did

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I finished the game last night. echoing pretty much what everyone said; it started real strong but needed a pass at the research tree and a bit more depth in levels/missions would have been nice. so much code put into so many anomalies and modifiers you might see once or never.

it was a fun ride and i hope it had enough success to where i can play a refined version of the same gameplay loop someday.

I did not care about the characters but those voice actors really gave it their all, i’ll give them that. Like they were up on the theater stage giving soliloquies.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was OK with the silent protag thing but the ending was just awful. it's like they couldn't decide if they wanted the place you go to be some weird dimension or just literally heaven, and you don't actually learn anything new from the entire ending sequence. there's zero exposition on the nature of the zone or the anomalies, it's literally just "remember when oppy talked about getting coffee with her husband? well here's audio of her husband bringing her coffee" not to mention the whole corridor of tvs thing felt completely off as far as the vibe of the rest of the game.

I also got kind of frustrated with the story missions. I understand the limited mechanics but we got 2 different missions that were literally "drive into this flashing thing" and 2 that were "drive around with a time limit and press a button a few times". actually, the 2nd time with the electrical generators on the road was way easier despite being a much longer loop because it doesn't shunt you through multiple enclosed tunnels full of devil grinders that shred your tires.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I was OK with the silent protag thing but the ending was just awful. it's like they couldn't decide if they wanted the place you go to be some weird dimension or just literally heaven, and you don't actually learn anything new from the entire ending sequence. there's zero exposition on the nature of the zone or the anomalies, it's literally just "remember when oppy talked about getting coffee with her husband? well here's audio of her husband bringing her coffee" not to mention the whole corridor of tvs thing felt completely off as far as the vibe of the rest of the game.
I genuinely laughed at the idea of a metaphystical afterlife connection sequence you wander through, but all the memories and poignant connections are for people you know, and you literally don't get any yourself or related to your own questions, experiences, or loved ones. Imagine going all the way to the threshold of reality just to witness someone else's bittersweet memories.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I’m not a 100%, but I think there was one trivial thing I had to do before I could open that keypad. It was the sort of almost matter of course thing that slips my mind.

I’ll see if I’m delusional. It’s more likely a bug, but I can test it later today.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Honestly, the whole plot was sort of a gold star "you tried". Entirely forgettable. If I designed it I'd have played up the loneliness and isolation and made it more about the character just trying to find their feet in this new crazy world and breadcrumb hints that someone previously discovered/documented, that if they can get all the way inside to the deepest part of the zone and into the well they get spit back out into the normal world again. Make it sort of like the wish granter in stalker, this legendary thing no one's seen but everyone's heard about. I'd have have re-tuned all the plot stuff to be audio entries (and had a much better system for playing/queuing them up) and have the player follow the tracks of others trying to escape the zone. Absolutely no talking directly to the silent driver.

The fax machine was a letdown and felt like an unrealized half-finished idea but I found the blueprint thing funny every single time. I think how it just gets ejected onto the floor with varying amounts of force is supposed to feed into the sort of cobbled together nature of the tech and how everything was designed in haste and is also half-falling apart but chasing after that dumb capsule always gave me a grin.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Literally just have the player be Francis

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I didn't really mind having the other characters just be voices on the radio. I guess I just enjoy the feeling that I'm not entirely alone in a game.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
for the record i think the little radio drama you get is effective, but i think the tweak id make is not to make them sound so voice actor-y. the guy with the cartoon brooklyn accent. anyway this quality of voice acting in an indie game at all is a pretty impressive feat

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
You don't need to give me a lore explanation for why I can keep playing after the credits. You can just do it, I'm familiar with the concept of a video game.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

LordSloth posted:

I’m not a 100%, but I think there was one trivial thing I had to do before I could open that keypad. It was the sort of almost matter of course thing that slips my mind.

I’ll see if I’m delusional. It’s more likely a bug, but I can test it later today.

I was hugely mistaken on how many missions in this was, and I didn't keep multiple save files. I am working my way back, but mostly for myself.

For everyone parting with the game after beating it, the tourists will send you off.

[fake spoiler]this is not in any way related to the end of the game, but it sure as well would fit the credits [/fake spoiler]

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 25, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

After a while the tourists, staring off as this terrifying thing, kinda start to feel like kooky neighbors.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Randomly chucking repair paste, food, or whatever they feel like at my back makes me kinda like them. At least I'm pretty sure it's tourists. They also appear motivated to go after a flare to blow up so I kinda hope they like when I do that for them.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I like when I throw a flare in a random direction and 2 minutes later I start hearing explosions. Probably because an abductor dropped the flare in a cluster of tourists.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Game’s cool and all, but I agree that it’s shallow and padded. Feels more like a proof of concept in many ways than a fully-featured game. Lots of cool ideas, but it doesn’t excel at any of them - everything is just okay-to-decent.

Speaking of padding, god this game really wastes your time. They need to let us just straight up teleport to certain junctions. You waste a solid 20~25 minutes going over two highways and an outer junction if you wanna do a run for Marsh Eggs or Swamp Coral or whatever.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I really thought highways were just going to be skipped, making them a zone you still have to drive through is such a bizarre choice (even if they are great for deco loot).
Also they're not really very well distributed across the map, imo. Like even taking 2 highways in a row to a late game destination might save you a single junction's distance, and sometimes none at all.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

poo poo went sideways during the escape. In fact, it also went upside-down, tangentially, and may even have slid into the 4th dimension for a bit.

Upside, in addition to the charming quirk of the horn beeping when I close the trunk, I have one where if I turn the headlights off, the car gets a burst of acceleration.

You can probably imagine how exciting this is at night/in eerie darkness.

Also bonus weird fax message thing:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

if you wanna do a run for Marsh Eggs or Swamp Coral or whatever.

Some of these materials were just too much of a pain in the rear end to bother with. So I missed out on some lategame upgrades and gadgets and clothes, oh well, I never felt motivated enough to spend like a half hour going on a run just to gather mats.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

AcidCat posted:

Some of these materials were just too much of a pain in the rear end to bother with. So I missed out on some lategame upgrades and gadgets and clothes, oh well, I never felt motivated enough to spend like a half hour going on a run just to gather mats.

Honestly aside from the blowtorch and bio-headlights, neither of which are really critical at all, the only upgrade I can think of that's even remotely worth grabbing advanced materials for is puncture-proof tires

e: the only time I went to mid or deep zones was for story missions, I never actually went resource-hunting out there

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I was for drat sure going to get that backpack. I didn't care how many eggs I had to vacuum I was getting more storage space.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I was just tooling around on a random drive after finally completing the story this weekend and saw something Ive never seen, a space capsule crash. Just saw a weird pink icon moving across the map, went to where it stopped. Full of pretty good stuff.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

AcidCat posted:

I was just tooling around on a random drive after finally completing the story this weekend and saw something Ive never seen, a space capsule crash. Just saw a weird pink icon moving across the map, went to where it stopped. Full of pretty good stuff.

They seem to come down randomly during the sprint for the exit, but I never found them particularly alluring unless they coincidentally happened to be on my route out. Aside from lucking into getting a part or tool that you haven't unlocked the tech to produce yourself, they always feel like more of what I've already been grabbing in the classic loot loop.

I'd have been way more interested in them if the Peculiar parts could come with strange effects like having a radiation-resistant door that ALSO had armor bonuses or a scrapper that produced more scrap per item but took longer to chop or something.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Warmachine posted:

They seem to come down randomly during the sprint for the exit

Hmm, this one came down during a random spot I was driving through, not a exit point. I wonder if anything changes post story that makes these things more likely. At any rate it didnt have any deep zone mats but a lot of general quality of life stuff like a blowtorch, 4 repair pastes, a good amount of mats like 11 chemicals and more.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know if they always do, but they will show up during the naturally occuring gate storm that moves slower than the one you create with the arc device. I don't know if they get better items the further into the zone you go, but it seems like a real crapshoot to me. The last time I saw one, I bee lined for it and there was just nothing but crap I could get anywhere in it. So I didn't get much, and I paid for it in a car that was completely red after driving around in the storm so much. I haven't beaten the game yet, but I'm starting to cool on it after the tediousness of getting to the deep zone.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
They have a chance to show up whenever the storm's closing in, whether triggered by time or manually.
They aren't really worth it, especially if you're late-game.

The loot system could really use a bit more of a rarity system, so fixing an electronic lock were actually worth it, or the crashed capsules as mentioned above, or in particularly inaccessible locations.
I did once get a whole-rear end peculiar turbolight engine from a random dumpster (iirc) near the edge of the map opposite to the exit, far from any roads.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just beat the game. Didn't realize I was going to. But I was heading into the deep zone and decided "gently caress it, I'll just go to the quest marker junction" and did. Turns out the game just ends there. It was kind of a let down. I don't know if Francis ever says anything ever again, because I mucked about in the garage and quit the game after, but I assume that's just it and now I can explore some junctions and scan more anomalies? I might play a bit more to get to all the junctions, and maybe try to find more tapes/notes. But it feels kind of like a let down now. Before I was working towards something.

Now it's just over but I don't really know what I was doing? We were looking for the source of the thing that caused the hallucinations so many years ago, but did I do that? There were memories from the past and also Tobias talking to us. That's neat, but did I find the source of whatever? It dumped me back at the car, and then I got dumped back at the garage. What did I do in the end game there? Oppy says she should have listened to Allen 37 years ago so now she's leaving. How does she do that? I thought they couldn't get out. France wants to research the zone some more and maybe be able to bring Tobias and Allen back. Oppy says "no thanks" and just peaces out. That seems kind of lovely. Like maybe she's tired of the zone, but she just got proof that the people lost to the zone restructuring apparently go somewhere and she's not going to bother to try to figure that out and bring them back?

It sucks that this was a game that I couldn't wait to get back into every day when I first started, and now I'm not sure if I want to do any more with it. I think I'd be interested in a sequel if it delved more into the interesting bits of the zone that the characters talked about but just moved on from. Like the events from the murals, or that door. A sequel years later when people decide to check the exclusion zone out again. A STALKER style game where you can travel around the zone and see weird poo poo. Or maybe even a prequel before things got all hosed up and you can explore what it was like when everyone was working there.

Edit: An game like Infra where I'm some lackey that drives around the zone in a Squire or Investigator and logs anomalies or whatever would be cool. Wouldn't be the same style, but I'm a sucker for seeing how things used to be in games that are some sort of wasteland.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In the postgame Francis replaces Oppy as the person who welcomes you back to the garage over the radio after a run. I think that’s the only change