Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Tirade posted:

Oh poo poo, Limpulse emitters work for abductors? Do they work on pickpockets as well?

I'm pretty sure it works on any "mobile" anomaly although I haven't tested with pickpockets because I usually switch to the lim shield at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm almost certain the yellow circle around anchors gives the radius where random stuff like that can spawn. My habit is to park on the edge of the radius, drop one flare about 50 ft from the car and then another flare kinda close to the anchor. Grab the anchor and you have your distractions in place already for whatever random poo poo spawns that wants to grab/run towards you/the flares, and the car is usually out of range of stuff like the bouncy vents that just looooooove to spawn under the door.

I immediately assumed it was related to the amount of energy it grants, and maybe functions as a circle of confusion where its location is not exact, but that also makes sense

This is the best/worst thing that happened to me recently:

https://i.imgur.com/lO9A5OG.mp4

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

haveblue posted:

I immediately assumed it was related to the amount of energy it grants, and maybe functions as a circle of confusion where its location is not exact, but that also makes sense

i love this game lol

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The "electricity sends things flying" modifier is definitely one of the most loony tunes. I wasn't recording but I also had a chef's kiss case where an electric tumbleweed thing sent my car flying off a cliff right as I was coming out of looting some building

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I found instructions on how to use a backup save file but that didn’t work at all or my backup got overwritten somehow. So I guess that 12 hours was a waste.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Usually I run into a broke bunny that causes my car to jolt forward just before I get it grabbed off my car. Really hilarious when it happens several times in a row.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

I found instructions on how to use a backup save file but that didn’t work at all or my backup got overwritten somehow. So I guess that 12 hours was a waste.

If you're playing on steam I kinda half-remember there might be a way to look in to your cloud synch-ed saves, is that any help?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

electric speeds a fun one. while not strictly *helpful*, it even works on the player (who, unlike the car, can just stand there if needed instead of flying off)

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
lol I had a similar thing happen to me in an EM squall, zone had the electric speed modifier, I was furiously hammering a big swath of firesap things and boom

car is just running away and I'm laughing but also frantically chasing the dang thing, this game rules

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

haveblue posted:

Same thing happened to me except I forgot about the modifier until the wave hit my car and my car just immediately ran me over.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does anyone have any tips for figuring out quirks? I had the horn honks when trunk closes one but it went away. I have 7 quirks but I have no idea what they are. My trip reports say that the quirks have activated 70-85 times per trip, but I can never tell. Sometimes I notice things like my windshield wipers come on, or sometimes it goes faster when reversing, but I can't ever get them to repeat and I don't know if I'm just seeing things.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cojawfee posted:

Does anyone have any tips for figuring out quirks? I had the horn honks when trunk closes one but it went away. I have 7 quirks but I have no idea what they are. My trip reports say that the quirks have activated 70-85 times per trip, but I can never tell. Sometimes I notice things like my windshield wipers come on, or sometimes it goes faster when reversing, but I can't ever get them to repeat and I don't know if I'm just seeing things.
Some of them are extremely hard to notice

Like I kept getting the obvious one, which is when you put the car into park the right front door opens. But some of them are things you may never notice. I believe further down the tech tree you can find out what some of them are but if they are not actively harmful I wouldn't worry too much.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Some of them can be really subtle to the point of being impossible to notice, others might be literally impossible to notice because their trigger condition is something that never actually happens (stuff like: "if fuel tank is empty"). Generally it's fine to just leave quirks if you don't know what they are. Another thing about quirks is that they don't always trigger when you fulfill the activation condition (there is a menu setting that changes this). So you typically have to try something a few times to be sure.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Further down the tech tree you get the ability to have the console fill in one of the four columns, with two levels of specificity. But fully diagnosing a quirk with this costs a lot of energy and if there are several quirks at once you will still have to do some guessing

There are also gameplay options to make hints free or disable the entire system, which I ended up doing in your situation

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I've got a quirk that is "if the fuel tank is full then dashboard starts faster" and no matter how much I test it I can't tell a difference in the ignition or dashboard

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the 3 quirks I've identified so far are "when driving reverse, hood opens", "when fuel is full, dashboard breaks" (speedometer spins around), and now I have "wipers on, trunk opens"

quirks are kind of lame tbh, I might just turn them off

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
oh yeah I have one that's "when battery increases, then speedometer breaks" and I'm watching the speedometer and nothing happens so ???

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Has anyone played with the end game engines? I'm keen to try out the electric engine but unsure how severe the battery drain is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I haven't messed with them, but reading other peoples experiences, it seems like they really aren't worth it. Or they are worth it if you really plan for them. The normal engine seems to do fine for me. I haven't gone all the way into the deep zone yet, but I have done some long trips through a bunch of junctions and I just have the normal gas tank and a large gas can. I usually find a gas station or a truck along the way. The only time I've ever really gotten in trouble was in a gas evaporating area. I ran out of gas about 200 feet from the gateway. I had to jump out of the car in the red storm, grab the gas can from the way back and fill up just enough to get through the portal. Other than that, I usually have enough to spare. Can't imagine how much worse that would be with the V8 engine.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The electric engine is fast as hell but you lose around 4 points off your battery going from the garage to the exit. Bring a roof battery and stuff your backseat with high cap batteries.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

The electric engine is fast as hell but you lose around 4 points off your battery going from the garage to the exit. Bring a roof battery and stuff your backseat with high cap batteries.

Also generation is a good thing to have. I put the game on the shelf before actually getting a chance to look at how the LIM converter worked and if it made sense with the electric engine. Turbines help you recover some energy while moving, solar panels if you know it will be day time, rain catcher is a nice one to have.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Turbines are also infinite free energy when there’s a storm and the wind picks up. I out two on my car and never had to worry about power again outside the occasional emergency teleport, you can actually gain energy with the headlights and wipers on while driving at a decent clip

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 17, 2024

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I have a solar panel and a rain generator and either one going is enough to cancel out the battery drain extreme condition, it's actually even a slight net gain if your lights are off

the fuel generator eats battery like a mofo though

Also I'm really learning to appreciate the LIM Shield

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I didn’t explore in great detail, but one wind turbine and the turbo light engine seems to a pretty decent amount of energy just from driving at max speed. I’m the tiniest bit curious if increasing the max speed even further would let me generate even more energy, or how it would look with two turbines and the electric motor - or the fuel maker- but I kind of enjoy the routine of topping off my gas.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Warmachine posted:

Also generation is a good thing to have. I put the game on the shelf before actually getting a chance to look at how the LIM converter worked and if it made sense with the electric engine. Turbines help you recover some energy while moving, solar panels if you know it will be day time, rain catcher is a nice one to have.

btw how does the lim converter work? Do you have to feed the orb to the converter rather than the arc device (and lose the lim energy in the process) or is it a free charge when you collect an orb?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kyte posted:

btw how does the lim converter work? Do you have to feed the orb to the converter rather than the arc device (and lose the lim energy in the process) or is it a free charge when you collect an orb?

I haven't tried it yet. Unlocked it but never built/equipped it because I wasn't doing any electric builds, and 1 LIM for 100 battery is just excessive for non-electric engine work.

I'd expect it works like other activated abilities where you need to bind it on the ability panel.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
If you're struggling with quirks, there's a setting to make them consistent. in the options. By default, they don't always happen, making them that much more difficult to find.

I had one that would open the driver door when toggling the shifter, but not all the time. It was clearly guessable on the diagnosing machine, but it didn't happen consistently, even after I diagnosed that Shifter > Toggles >> Front Left Door > Opens. I fixed it but it was notably difficult to prove because toggling the shifter didn't necessarily have it happen every time, that was just the trigger that could cause it.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
My favorite quirk I got besides trunk closes -> horn honks is wipers on -> fuel gauge fails. The pips still light up properly so you know about how much fuel you have, and then indicator sweeps back and forth in time with the wipers. Between the "lets go, buddy!" Honk of closing the trunk and the "look mom, I'm a windshield wiper!" Of the fuel gauge, my car developed a really cute chipper personality via quirks.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

well that was a bit of a wet fart of an ending huh

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 19, 2024

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

well that was a bit of a wet fart of an ending huh

Yup agreed. As someone said upthread, "agreeing" to Oppy's request to stick around in the zone at the end was particularly weird. Lady, I don't know you or Francis from a bar of soap, but sure I'll stay trapped in this deadly place as a favour to your old rear end.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Was reading the new patch notes and had a slightly amused chuckle at myself.

Community Highlight: You can now manually open and close the rear garage door with a nearby button! The button gets enabled once the power at the garage has been restored. The front door still only opens by selecting a destination on the Route Planner, and cannot be manually closed.

Much of the patch was dedicated to smoothing out the experience and expectations of abandoning runs - and making the options for the penalty separate from that of failing a run.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Quibbles about the story aside this game is easily going into my GOTY list. It feels like every game design decision, from the car maintenance mechanics to the soundtrack to the quirk system, are all in service to the vibe they were trying to convey, and they nail it. Scratches an itch I didn't even know I had.

I think I'm done with it now but got a good 50 hours out of it and loved almost every minute.

Soundtrack in particular is just so good.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Got to the credits, and I think that's enough for me. As thin as the story may be, I wish there was more of it. I don't feel like I really "finished" the game, since there's still a lot of work to be done on the car, but I'm not the kind of person who'll play a game past its ending just for the sake of ticking off some arbitrary boxes I've defined for myself.

It's probably not going to by GOTY for me, but it certainly got 37 hours of playtime and I had a good time throughout.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The story is definitely the weakest part of the game by far, so far on my playthrough. Generally I dislike games where the character development is only reserved for NPC's and the PC gets to say nothing, so that might sour me even further. It's a shame because I like the actual gameplay, but I just wish you were an actual character and not a game device.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I hope they make a Pacific drive 2. Just give me more of everything this game had to offer, I liked all of it, I just really wanted more and the ending came too fast and too soon

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Umbreon posted:

I hope they make a Pacific drive 2. Just give me more of everything this game had to offer, I liked all of it, I just really wanted more and the ending came too fast and too soon

Smoother, better planned, and longer tech tree would be a really good start. What possible purpose could having more than one pneumatic storage fill?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’d want them to switch to finding blueprints in the world rather than having them all laid out to buy in the garage

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was also confused by that. I guess maybe so you could have one for different kinds of things, but what's the point. You dump your materials into a bottomless pit and the crafting table uses them as it needs.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the faster fuel pump was also hilariously useless

ditto outdoor storage. what am I, a farmer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Snow Cone Capone posted:

the faster fuel pump was also hilariously useless

Hey, it could save you five whole seconds if you specced into fuel capacity!