Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Warmachine posted:

37 hours, finished the game, not once did I think to try this.

i tried recycling a mostly empty paint can and only got scrap metal lol

ive so far only had one decal drop, but ive been taking the game extremely slowly (in vr everything is always more work, because youre physically doing things instead of just flicking your wrist in clicking) but im getting a ton of paint in the early game. do decals drop more often in the mid-late game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i dont condone the use of the confederate battle flag in any context. but.............

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
No decals stay really rare it's kind of unfortunate.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Gonna post this because it took me way too long to realize: the hand vac tool you first use for pulling of bulbs from sodium lights hoovers up all loot on the ground. Makes stripping a car for example quicker, just go round once with the scrapper tearing off everything, then do another round with the vac sucking up all the loot. No more hammering the use button for me, the sophisticated vacuum user.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Schnitzler posted:

Gonna post this because it took me way too long to realize: the hand vac tool you first use for pulling of bulbs from sodium lights hoovers up all loot on the ground. Makes stripping a car for example quicker, just go round once with the scrapper tearing off everything, then do another round with the vac sucking up all the loot. No more hammering the use button for me, the sophisticated vacuum user.

I have yet to use the hand vac cause I don't think it was ever introduced. I did not realize that you could harvest bulbs in runs....

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Crain posted:

I have yet to use the hand vac cause I don't think it was ever introduced. I did not realize that you could harvest bulbs in runs....
If you scan the sodium bulb stand thing it says "recommended tool, hand vac". That confused me early on because it was like the third thing I scanned in my first run and I had no idea how a hand vac would help when I could just scrap the thing already.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Crain posted:

If you use the Scan feature it will recommend a tool to harvest, and if you scan a Sodium Light that is working, the vacuum tool will be recommended. Same for later resources like Tree Candy and Swamp Coral, the latter of which requires the 'tier 2' vacuum.

It's also handy for checking your car for defects after a run, since if you scan a door it will show all 5 door slot parts on the sidebar. Same for panels, tires, side rack, and roof rack slots.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I just never thought to scan the lights. They were electrical components, so I figured I'd just get the usual glass, wire, and maybe some metal or plastic.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Me and my friends would beat a bubblegum buddy with hammers, I can tell you that much.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The best source I've found of paint, stickers, and cosmetics is the pneumatic tubes you find in the world, plus box trucks.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Crain posted:

I just never thought to scan the lights. They were electrical components, so I figured I'd just get the usual glass, wire, and maybe some metal or plastic.

I've gotten a lot out of my compulsive need to check any visible box, scan everything always (except the car, that box unchecks itself automatically, I checked).

Can anyone point me towards what I need to do to understand what the biolights are for? Ideally don't just tell me, I just wanna know if I'm missing something that makes it more obvious than my current blind guess of biolights not attracting anomalies like the normal flares/headlights. It always bugs me when I (think) I know something for metagame reasons but can't confirm it in-game.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I tend to get at least one cosmetic out of dumpster pearls.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
After playing it for over 10 hours the initial magic has really worn off over the game. It's got a great initial pull but you frontload 90% of your new gameplay experience and then it becomes ongoing repetitive tedium without much more interesting to come. New car upgrades are mostly just health improvements with the ability to block a specific condition or gain a extra damage resistance to a type of damage. You do get the special powers from the last tab but they're significantly worse than the boring panel/door/tire/storage upgrades so it feels either bad to get them early or a gimmick to get them late. Everything (enemies, gear, whatnot) just feels like slight variations on stuff we've already seen and don't feel new or interesting.

Admittedly two things which heavily factor into my growing disillusionment may be personal. I never got really comfortable with casual resource runs, as in just the feeling of being in the environment and relaxing. So every run is very tense and stressful, even when it really shouldn't be and I know better. The second is I pushed the limit early and harvested tons of poo poo. As the game progressed I was rarely out of materials other than maybe one specific rare item for a specific unlock/build, and now it's really just down to harvesting as I go for story events and having to make specific runs for energy, which bugs me because I want to harvest everything even if I don't need it but that just makes run take longer and longer and add to the stress of just playing.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

nessin posted:

After playing it for over 10 hours the initial magic has really worn off over the game. It's got a great initial pull but you frontload 90% of your new gameplay experience and then it becomes ongoing repetitive tedium without much more interesting to come.
It's a good podcast game, once you're doing regular resource runs and not cowering at the terror and novelty of everything you're running into. I appreciate the comforting shift to a meditative grind. It's what I'm looking for in a game these days.

That said, I'm still working on armored car bits so maybe it'll be less satisfying to grind out things beyond that point.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
i think it's really a matter of attitude with how you approach the zone, which is funny. you can either fear the zone and all of the stuff it throws at you or you learn to work within it and all of the hazards become just an average day.

i'm partially convinced there's a hidden zone relationship parameter or something because people report tourists as either being obnoxiously annoying or incredibly helpful. there's been more than a few occasions where i'm out wandering around and a tourist just yeets something helpful at me, like a high tier vacuum or a stable anchor at me

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

FZeroRacer posted:

i think it's really a matter of attitude with how you approach the zone, which is funny. you can either fear the zone and all of the stuff it throws at you or you learn to work within it and all of the hazards become just an average day.

i'm partially convinced there's a hidden zone relationship parameter or something because people report tourists as either being obnoxiously annoying or incredibly helpful. there's been more than a few occasions where i'm out wandering around and a tourist just yeets something helpful at me, like a high tier vacuum or a stable anchor at me

I've only had a tourist throw something at me a couple times and it's been fairly normal stuff. Although I'm jumping at shadows constantly so they could have thrown something at me and I thought it was an oncoming attack.

I did forget to mention one objective problem I have with the game, dangerous areas aren't worth it. For example, I've yet to find anything notably different between a lab house in a safe zone versus a lab house in a radiated zone or in the middle of some other hazard. And thanks to the Matter Reconstructor as long as you're okay with the gate chase after linking it's infinitely better, when you need resources, to just ignore danger zones and get your extra by running an easy mission to loot safe zones while you repair your equipment needed for harder missions.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i can see how people might get a little bored of the classic survival game mechanics after 10 hours. after 10 hours ive still not broken into the mid game and everything is still great, but also id imagine it can turn into any other survival game if youre not playing in vr

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i didnt even know tourists could be helpful lol

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Me and my friends would beat a bubblegum buddy with hammers, I can tell you that much.

Wait till you meet the Pickpockets.

Flares are your friend.

nessin posted:

I've only had a tourist throw something at me a couple times and it's been fairly normal stuff. Although I'm jumping at shadows constantly so they could have thrown something at me and I thought it was an oncoming attack.

I did forget to mention one objective problem I have with the game, dangerous areas aren't worth it. For example, I've yet to find anything notably different between a lab house in a safe zone versus a lab house in a radiated zone or in the middle of some other hazard. And thanks to the Matter Reconstructor as long as you're okay with the gate chase after linking it's infinitely better, when you need resources, to just ignore danger zones and get your extra by running an easy mission to loot safe zones while you repair your equipment needed for harder missions.

I feel this too. The main reason to go to the Mid and Deep Zones is the zone-specific resources. Technically the population of armored cars seems higher in those zones, but for the most part my reason to risk a trip is down to needing Marsh Eggs, Tree Candy, ThermalSap Crystals, or Olympium. And there's no reason to go into an Extreme Conditions zone if you can go around it or otherwise avoid it.

As a side note, I try to avoid the Marshes as much as possible. That zone seems to have it in for my tires in a bad way.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's definitely a game that I could see overstaying its welcome for some people, just based on how you learn and the pace you take it. For me it was more fun when I was not meticulously farming and sort of halfway winging it to push through the story. I finished in about 20-25 hours (depends on how you want to count large swathes of standing in the garage thinking) and I felt like that hit the sweet spot where things were just starting to get routine.

Though the garage ability that lets you reroll junctions massively cuts what difficulty there is, I almost wish I hadn't gotten it because it kinda made the endgame the most chill part of the whole thing.

There are a few other things to quibble about but I did really very much enjoy it, especially at the 30 dollar price point

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Warmachine posted:

Wait till you meet the Pickpockets.

Flares are your friend.

I feel this too. The main reason to go to the Mid and Deep Zones is the zone-specific resources. Technically the population of armored cars seems higher in those zones, but for the most part my reason to risk a trip is down to needing Marsh Eggs, Tree Candy, ThermalSap Crystals, or Olympium. And there's no reason to go into an Extreme Conditions zone if you can go around it or otherwise avoid it.

As a side note, I try to avoid the Marshes as much as possible. That zone seems to have it in for my tires in a bad way.

Yeah I think the more valuable unique items you get in the deeper zone balances things out nicely for those areas, but the lack of any reason to visit unstable zones does kind of suck a bit. There is a bit of risk/reward with the storm itself, where once it shows up a payload will drop somewhere on the map after a bit (usually inside the storm area) which has a ton of stuff in it, but you can also completely ignore those and never really miss out on anything.

I feel like my main issue with the game now after having seen most of it (haven't finished yet though) is that it never feels like it quite gets weird enough. The tourists show up early on and promise more SCP-style oddities but it seems like that's kind of it and most anomalies are just various forms of environmental hazard. This is fairly consistent with the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, which are obviously a major inspiration for this game, but it's a bit weird because in a lot of the flavour text it does seem to imply more crazy stuff going on in the zone. You just never see any of it. The zone itself is very atmospheric (and the eerie darkness effect is very good - the complete lack of sky really makes it feel different than just being a particularly dark night), I just kind of wish there was more stuff that took longer than 5 seconds to figure out what its deal is.

Completely unrelated; is the electric engine just not worth it? It seems like it drains my battery obscenely quickly and even filling up all my rack slots with various forms of battery doesn't seem like it'll get me anywhere near the mileage of any of the gas engines with like, one expanded fuel tank in the back seat.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 27, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

flares are the bolts of this game

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Hey shall we sticky this thread for a few days so people spot it?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i vote yes. this game is a fantastic labor of love from a small team but it stands to get lost in some of the other incredible but more mainstream games that were just released - balatro, last epoch 1.0, suicide squad the game as a service, helldivers 2 etc.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This is such an absolutely stacked couple months for games that I can definitely see it getting missed. Frankly it was pure chance I watched the skillup preview at the beginning of the year that even put it on my radar, and from tomorrow when ff7 remake 2 comes out it probably would have ended up on the indefinite backburner

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 28, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It is done! Enjoy three days at the top. Let me know if you want longer, it's easy to fix, unlike these drat cars

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
i think the nature of the randomized stuff in the zone means you can play thru the game and miss out on a lot of the more wild anomalies. especially since there's a fair amount of stuff tied to zone behaviors.

there's also a ton of little secrets and stuff here and there so i wouldn't be surprised if there's more obscurely rare stuff lurking around.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I was definitely surprised how many anomalies I had unscanned at the end of the game. I'm not really sure if I was mistakenly neglecting to scan some variants of common themes, some are really rare or ultra circumstantial, or all of the above

e: My logbook says 37/52. I know at least one I could get I never went into the storm in mid zone, only realized you had to enter them to log them late but the others are mysteries to me

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 28, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

yeah ive spoiled myself on a couple of the rarer anomalies and even though theyre in the list as ????????? and im actively looking, i havent encountered any yet

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

is there such a thing as a helpful storm? ie a healing storm or some such?

the worst one ive had by far was a bollard storm, which was actually kind of cool, the way they did it was the bollards sre popping up all around you but there's a "safe" path to navigate as i tried to get through it t

a tourist storm that only moves when youre not looking at it would be rad

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Al! posted:

the worst one ive had by far was a bollard storm, which was actually kind of cool, the way they did it was the bollards sre popping up all around you but there's a "safe" path to navigate as i tried to get through it t

Based on the two I saw assumed there were three storms, one each for outer/mid/deep zone, but honestly I avoided storms like they meant instant death for about 90% of the game because I am a wuss.

A wuss who never lost a run or honestly even came particularly close :coal:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
My paint shelf

I also have 641 scrap metal after making a couple full stacks of gears, steel sheets, and replacing all my steel car parts.

I don't have a hoarding problem do I?

I mean, I'm actively avoiding making improved parts for my car because then I'd have to throw out some stuff to make room for the spares.

Edit: There isn't a way to repair 'Peculiar' variants, is there? Those are my rpg-style 'elixirs'.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 28, 2024

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

I haven't seen any helpful storms yet but based on the ones I have seen in the deeper zone I'm grateful whenever a storm is "just" a hurricane.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

LordSloth posted:

Edit: There isn't a way to repair 'Peculiar' variants, is there? Those are my rpg-style 'elixirs'.
"Peculiar" parts are one and done. A gift from the zone. Run it and let it go.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah they're usually straight upgrades but also not "too good to use". It's basically a part you don't have to worry about repairing for a little while.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Wait. Wait wait wait.

You're telling me there are... multiple tabs on the research terminal?

*checks*

:dumbgun:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ngl I didn't realize there was a Pacific Drive thread until just now. Guess I really don't look at the stickies :v:

anyway where the gently caress is all the copper wire, i'm constantly out of copper wire as of reaching the mid zone and it's getting real irksome

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
It’s a shame I can’t plan a trip around the transmutation devices, otherwise I’d have a lot more use for the towers and my excess materials.

I mean, I can plan around finding them, but they’ve only been used once (gears to chemicals) and they’ve got limited uses.

If you are in a stable zone and lacking something specific it can be worth checking the towers first and just enjoy the driving.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Al! posted:

the game is incredible in VR!!! which is exclusively how i've been playing it lol. if you've got the stones, go to this git link (results not guaranteed). i will help provide any technical support for any REAL Breachers ;)
not gonna lie between this and outer wilds I'm super tempted to dip my toes back into VR

so is the Quest 3 kind of the default gear nowadays? not a fan of having to deal with oculus/meta/fb/whatever, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ciaphas posted:

ngl I didn't realize there was a Pacific Drive thread until just now. Guess I really don't look at the stickies :v:

anyway where the gently caress is all the copper wire, i'm constantly out of copper wire as of reaching the mid zone and it's getting real irksome

TVs, radios, receivers, I think even lights will give them up if you smash them instead of pulling the bulb