Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

LordSloth posted:

It’s a shame I can’t plan a trip around the transmutation devices, otherwise I’d have a lot more use for the towers and my excess materials.

I mean, I can plan around finding them, but they’ve only been used once (gears to chemicals) and they’ve got limited uses.

If you are in a stable zone and lacking something specific it can be worth checking the towers first and just enjoy the driving.

Is there some trick to these? Like I know how to get stuff out of them but the exchange rates always seem incredibly bad and not worthwhile. I get stuff like "Light bulbs to plastic" where it takes 5 of the former for 1 of the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Don't forget that plasma tanks tend to drop one.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Probably you can roll some god options on the transmuters but yeah I never saw one that was really worth it. Towers are in that weird category of not even particularly worth checking that a lot of buildings fall into in the mid game I feel

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

When you get back from a long drive and have to replace more than half of your parts because they wore out.

Al! posted:

is there such a thing as a helpful storm? ie a healing storm or some such?

the worst one ive had by far was a bollard storm, which was actually kind of cool, the way they did it was the bollards sre popping up all around you but there's a "safe" path to navigate as i tried to get through it t

a tourist storm that only moves when youre not looking at it would be rad

The most harrowing weather event, in my eyes, is still the Meteor Squall. Giant pillars of rock lawn-darting into the ground around you and sometimes on you and spreading Hot Dust is loving nerve wracking.

Which I will add, the green blobs moving across the zone being referred to a storms and the zone storm sharing the same name is STILL a source of confusion....

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Ciaphas posted:

ngl I didn't realize there was a Pacific Drive thread until just now. Guess I really don't look at the stickies :v:

anyway where the gently caress is all the copper wire, i'm constantly out of copper wire as of reaching the mid zone and it's getting real irksome

those mobile labs are my favorite looting spot because they usually have chemicals, several computers, a few assorted lockers/coolers, and sometimes you get a transmutation device or a chest

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a cool mod would be to allow you to reroll transmuters once or twice

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
Really feeling boxed in here....

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I failed to escape the storm on a supply run and my car got severely screwed up, but on the next mission I found a "ghost" remnant of my car and it had a good chunk of the materials I had lost in the trunk. Nice little bonus.

Game's fun and some of the log entries and writing are hilarious. Fun pickup so far.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

FZeroRacer posted:

i think it's really a matter of attitude with how you approach the zone, which is funny. you can either fear the zone and all of the stuff it throws at you or you learn to work within it and all of the hazards become just an average day.

i'm partially convinced there's a hidden zone relationship parameter or something because people report tourists as either being obnoxiously annoying or incredibly helpful. there's been more than a few occasions where i'm out wandering around and a tourist just yeets something helpful at me, like a high tier vacuum or a stable anchor at me

bit late but, is that where those things came from? more than once been wandering around and had some junk/tools practically fall out of the sky while minding my own business.
usually useful stuff, too.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a tourist has never been nice to me, for any reason wtf

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I saw it one time early on but it just threw me a first aid kit. I hope you do better by the other gamers tourists

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
One time the bush in front of me suddenly transformed into a stable anchor core out of nowhere. I was a bit confused, but when I took it back to my car it was the real thing.

P.S. I don't think it was a tourist, but maybe I just didn't see it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

One of my doors was starting to fail on a run, and the fuckers dropped 3 crude doors on my head.

Even my fragile lead door is better. These are worthless!

LordSloth posted:

One time the bush in front of me suddenly transformed into a stable anchor core out of nowhere. I was a bit confused, but when I took it back to my car it was the real thing.

P.S. I don't think it was a tourist, but maybe I just didn't see it.

I've had a Friendly Dumpster materialize in the middle of the road.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Just for funsies I let myself get into the 'red zone' tonight. It wasn't too bad save for a moment when my car just got chucked like 200 meters into the hills for no discernable reason. That actually got my heartrate up because I'd not had something like that happen in 40 hours of gameplay. Bollards and vents launching me, sure. But getting Master Handed across the map was a new one.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Try diagnostic: [D]river/[J]ust Vibing/[C]ar/[L]aunches to gently caress

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Try diagnostic: [D]river/[J]ust Vibing/[C]ar/[L]aunches to gently caress

I mean, admittedly I was vibing while the world was trying to turn itself inside out outside. Car took it like a champ though.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I think the game absolutely nailed the unpredictable nature of the zone. Even when you think you got a grip on things it throws curveballs at you and you're never 100% sure what to expect.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm weird and frequently wonder if tourists want me to throw a flare and enjoy being able to do what it is they do or if they see me as a rampaging violent menace they're determined to oppose.

When I get to the final location of a run and start gathering anchors to open the gateway back, does that zone still have the storm that is summoned over time? The only thing that prevents the time limit is perpetually stable, right?

Also how do I actually use radar "charges"? I see upgrades to scan more before over heating but no idea how to use them.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm weird and frequently wonder if tourists want me to throw a flare and enjoy being able to do what it is they do or if they see me as a rampaging violent menace they're determined to oppose.

When I get to the final location of a run and start gathering anchors to open the gateway back, does that zone still have the storm that is summoned over time? The only thing that prevents the time limit is perpetually stable, right?

Also how do I actually use radar "charges"? I see upgrades to scan more before over heating but no idea how to use them.

You get to select an additional destination per charge in the Route Planner, which lets you see its info and choose to safely navigate there without running into a dead end. Without it, you're locked into your first choice.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Now I want a game that is like 1/3 pacific drive, 1/3 snowrunner, and 1/3 death standing.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

onionradish posted:

Really feeling boxed in here....

Just go through. You'll spend less time in a stormy zone but it's not the nightmare you're envisioning.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sipher posted:

Just go through. You'll spend less time in a stormy zone but it's not the nightmare you're envisioning.

This. The visual doesn't communicate this well, but those zones are considered extreme because they have 3 Junction Conditions instead of 1, and usually have a shorter time before the Zone Storm swallows the area. But otherwise they're just like a normal zone with all the same rules.

Oh, and if someone can check me on this: I'm pretty sure Swift Storm refers to the rate that the Zone Storm closes in, rather than how long you have until it starts.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Warmachine posted:

Oh, and if someone can check me on this: I'm pretty sure Swift Storm refers to the rate that the Zone Storm closes in, rather than how long you have until it starts.

It might be both? I've had the storm start before I even finished driving straight across a zone without stopping for loot once or twice.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I've been playing this in VR and it's been real fun, still using KB+mouse just with the headset, like I played subnautica. The gear in your hands is comically oversized and I need to turn on the cursor for menus sometimes but I drive better with more spatial awareness and being able to glance at the map or glance around while interacting with stuff is great.

I don't think people have mentioned it but those purple triangles that pop up while the storm is closing contain some great loot and are absolutely worth going for; I got a olympian torch out of one in the outer zone!

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Warmachine posted:

Yeah I think that's correct. How long you have before the storm starts is shown by the stopwatch bar in the upper right corner of the scanner, don't think I have seen a junction modifier that affects that yet.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Bhodi posted:

I've been playing this in VR and it's been real fun, still using KB+mouse just with the headset, like I played subnautica. The gear in your hands is comically oversized and I need to turn on the cursor for menus sometimes but I drive better with more spatial awareness and being able to glance at the map or glance around while interacting with stuff is great.

I don't think people have mentioned it but those purple triangles that pop up while the storm is closing contain some great loot and are absolutely worth going for; I got a olympian torch out of one in the outer zone!

So far I've been a timid little rabbit and just run away at the first sign of a flashing thing related to the storm. I see a yellow fortnite-style circle closing in when the storm starts. Is that not a relatively instant death sentence like I feel it is?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

So far I've been a timid little rabbit and just run away at the first sign of a flashing thing related to the storm. I see a yellow fortnite-style circle closing in when the storm starts. Is that not a relatively instant death sentence like I feel it is?

Yellow is survivable but deals damage to the car slowly, and you if you step outside of it. When the red ring starts to come in is when you need to worry and hurry.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Personally I don't think they're worth it. Usually by the time the storm is coming in, I'm full or nearly full. The odd tool is nice, but sometimes I just can't carry everything. Plus the fact that some of the volume is in parts, which I either have to break down on site while hell is nipping at my heels or somehow find room to take back, consuming more volume than the constituent resources I'll get from it.

If one happens to land on my extraction route, I'll stop to take a look, but I'm not going to divert from my plan to go after one. I feel like I'd be more motivated if Peculiar items were better than crafted items or gave more resources when reprocessed (instead of no resources, wtf?). I have a peculiar plasma scrapper that is just a regular plasma scrapper with less than half the durability. Which means half as much time scrapping before it breaks and I need to run back to my car to grab the spare or abandon the run because I don't have a spare.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Game is cool as hell. It might be me playing on 1080p but the fov feels really limited on default settings. Also i dont think it was saving my changes to the display settings when switching stuff down from ultra. I changed to fullscreen from borderless, which finally allowed me to click the Apply button that had been greyed out the whole time, and then I got some more playable framerates.

Failed on the first mission because i couldn't see the red gateway pillar from where I was on the map and EVERYTHING was red, so in a panic not knowing where to go I gunned it for the (closed) access point on the map hoping to blast through the gate battering ram style. It did not work.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah the yellow circle is equivalent to standing in a hot dust anomaly. Not good for you but not instantly fatal either. The red ring is different, much more damaging and will hurt you even inside your car. You can still outheal it with first aid kits but it's something where you'd better already be on your way to a gateway to GTFO if you're inside the red ring. The yellow ring you can wander around a bit and still be generally fine.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The radiation resistance clothes are also relatively easy to make if you make a point of harvesting lead resource spots which makes the yellow zone even more chill. You can certainly do a cheeky loot in it if you see something particularly good

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Yellow is reasonably safe to drive in but it's your cue to hurry the hell up.

I had a major fuckin panic moment last night in the Midnight Woods - I had to circumvent a slope I kept trying to drive up for a shortcut for like 5 minutes straight. At that point I realized the yellow had engulfed the map and now the red was encroaching when I'd burned a ton of gas trying to run my car up that hill.

I said gently caress it, drove extra to find an accessible road and then the red swept over my car which was thoroughly hosed up from smashing it into rocks and rolling it repeatedly. In that precise moment, that's when I ran out of gas with both headlights broken in Perpetual Darkness, two window cracks, and 10k rads baking me.

Luckily I had a couple light replacement kits and a large fuel tank along with some first aid kits - just barely made it out of there. Probably my favorite moment so far!

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 28, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

those of you playing in VR: how is character movement handled (i seem to remember motion sickness being a problem early on)? and do you use the VR controllers or just stick to keeb / gamepad?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This is a lot of fun. Trying to remain unspoiled with regards to unlocks and upgrades so I'm staying away from the thread but I just got caught in my first bad storm and holy poo poo that is tense.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

those of you playing in VR: how is character movement handled (i seem to remember motion sickness being a problem early on)? and do you use the VR controllers or just stick to keeb / gamepad?
it's an injection without native VR so char movement is handled however it is in the game, either kb+mouse or the keys on your controllers operating like a gamepad. there's no teleport or VR-like interaction. I don't really get VR sick so I can't speak to how unsettling it is but basically GUI is a hovering overlay which you can set to be fixed to your head or where you're pointing, there's a lot of customization options. I believe the "direction" of forward movement can be bound to where you're pointing with the controller, and I think you can bind the tools to them as well if you want.

I'm honestly most comfortable with games that just let me look around and be in the world and are otherwise the same as looking at it on the monitor so I didn't dig deep into those options. IMO it's worth installing and trying it out just for fun though if you've already got a VR device.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 28, 2024

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Seems that recycling tools will give you back resources regardless of durability. My friend just showed me how they recycled a blowtorch at 1% durability and got back 68 of 80 marsh eggs. It's not really necessary to do stuff like this with as plentiful as resources are but if you really want to scrimp and save there's the option.

Warmachine posted:

Personally I don't think they're worth it. Usually by the time the storm is coming in, I'm full or nearly full. The odd tool is nice, but sometimes I just can't carry everything. Plus the fact that some of the volume is in parts, which I either have to break down on site while hell is nipping at my heels or somehow find room to take back, consuming more volume than the constituent resources I'll get from it.

If one happens to land on my extraction route, I'll stop to take a look, but I'm not going to divert from my plan to go after one. I feel like I'd be more motivated if Peculiar items were better than crafted items or gave more resources when reprocessed (instead of no resources, wtf?). I have a peculiar plasma scrapper that is just a regular plasma scrapper with less than half the durability. Which means half as much time scrapping before it breaks and I need to run back to my car to grab the spare or abandon the run because I don't have a spare.
I just went back for one at the cost of a couple minutes and some mild yellow-zone car damage, and got a 100% durability blowtorch, a 50% durability blowtorch, a repair putty, some cosmetics, and a bunch of high grade resources.
More than enough in already-constructed repair parts to get back to full and have plenty left over, not even counting the resources. These drops are worth it when the circle's closing in slowly, but pretty much never when you've opened a gateway.
ALSO! I learned that more than one can spawn per map. After grabbing that one, a second came down shortly after, but I was already almost at the exit and just wanted to push through.

E4C85D38 posted:

You get to select an additional destination per charge in the Route Planner, which lets you see its info and choose to safely navigate there without running into a dead end. Without it, you're locked into your first choice.
You're never locked in. The route planner only handles scouting, once you're actually on the road you can pick any path you like.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Seems that recycling tools will give you back resources regardless of durability. My friend just showed me how they recycled a blowtorch at 1% durability and got back 68 of 80 marsh eggs. It's not really necessary to do stuff like this with as plentiful as resources are but if you really want to scrimp and save there's the option.

I just went back for one at the cost of a couple minutes and some mild yellow-zone car damage, and got a 100% durability blowtorch, a 50% durability blowtorch, a repair putty, some cosmetics, and a bunch of high grade resources.
More than enough in already-constructed repair parts to get back to full and have plenty left over, not even counting the resources. These drops are worth it when the circle's closing in slowly, but pretty much never when you've opened a gateway.
ALSO! I learned that more than one can spawn per map. After grabbing that one, a second came down shortly after, but I was already almost at the exit and just wanted to push through.

You're never locked in. The route planner only handles scouting, once you're actually on the road you can pick any path you like.

I'm slowly starting to draw out my runs and say in the zone longer and longer when the storm rolls in, so maybe I'll get that experience.

It's taken a while to really learn to take my time despite 'learning the rules' as you do very early on.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Anyone else got issues with the game's diegetic UIs (Fabrication station, Tinker station, dashboard, etc)? They play really badly with TAA and especially High-or-lower DLSS, even at ultra high DLSS transitions are super smeary. Only way to solve it from what I've seen is to turn off TAA & DLSS completely, but that's not exactly ideal. I already tried updating the DLL.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Kyte posted:

Anyone else got issues with the game's diegetic UIs

Nope, none here. I’ll check what settings I’m using next time I play.

Edit: DLSS defaulted off. AA default TXAA. Driver 551.23, GeForce RTX 4070.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

You know, reading this I'm kinda wondering if there might actually be an effect from yanking anchors.

Time to find out I guess.

edit: It's normal weather. Plops one of those big green blobs in with whatever effect is permitted for that zone.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 28, 2024