Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if someone mentioned it in this thread or if I just saw it on reddit, but I really like the tip of using a flare to get swamp coral. Drop a lit flare upstream of the coral and then use a normal vacuum to grab the swamp coral as it comes out near the flare. Nice when I don't have a thermal vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You can also just shine headlights on them if the coral is in a good position for that (not in the water, destroyer of car)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if someone mentioned it in this thread or if I just saw it on reddit, but I really like the tip of using a flare to get swamp coral. Drop a lit flare upstream of the coral and then use a normal vacuum to grab the swamp coral as it comes out near the flare. Nice when I don't have a thermal vacuum.

I've tried that and I had to spend like 3-5 flares in between range limit, shadows, being forced to leave it on the ground making it hard to light up the higher coral and also throwing a few extras to avoid luring anomalies.
It makes do in a pinch but it's overall not really a solution.

Personally I keep one regular vac and one thermal vac and save the thermal vac for the coral.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I've done the flare trick so much now I'm not really interested in the thermal vac. The only time it's been truly challenging was the first time when the flares kept drifting downstream, but I figured that out quick and just used the regular vacuum, still have yet to even find a thermal one.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I submitted a bug report on my issue to see if they can figure out a way to do something with my save

As it is I have no idea how to swap in an older save in the game files to replace the current one, and I can't find anything online yet as to how you do it

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I looked it up with no spoilers and I'm at 2 missions before the end.

My biggest gripe with this game is that I barely understand the story because as a non native English speaker, I need t focus to understand someone speaking but all that yapping during drives while poo poo is happening and I need to not die means I mostly missed all the dialogue during drives because I couldn't focus on the voices speaking.

Also I don't like the deep zone. Even with the highway shortcuts, it takes forever to get to the last place in the route you selected. Barely looting and just grabbing anchors in the first zones to make sure I'm ready to bug out on the last zone and an hour passed before I'm where I wanted to be.

Other than that I enjoyed my time a lot. If it was one big open world driving map with some safe garages, that'd be perfect for me. I wish travelling was more driving to enjoy the car more.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
If it's any consolation much of the story is unknowable, kind of a thing in the genre

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Hemish posted:

My biggest gripe with this game is that I barely understand the story because as a non native English speaker, I need t focus to understand someone speaking but all that yapping during drives while poo poo is happening and I need to not die means I mostly missed all the dialogue during drives because I couldn't focus on the voices speaking.

Somewhere in the menu there's an area where you can play back all the mission conversations. Can't remember at the moment if you can play then back in audio form or just read them.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

bgreman posted:

Somewhere in the menu there's an area where you can play back all the mission conversations. Can't remember at the moment if you can play then back in audio form or just read them.

Log Book > Furthest right option (at least it's on the right side in the log book anyway)

I did this last night when a mission had me escape a zone and... I got to the teleport quicker than the dialogue had finished

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Hemish posted:

I looked it up with no spoilers and I'm at 2 missions before the end.

My biggest gripe with this game is that I barely understand the story because as a non native English speaker, I need t focus to understand someone speaking but all that yapping during drives while poo poo is happening and I need to not die means I mostly missed all the dialogue during drives because I couldn't focus on the voices speaking..

I haven't finished it but tbh the story has been the weakest part of the game for me. The dialogue is intrusive and just plain boring most of the time. It would have been better to have the player explore on their own, and maybe play up the sentient aspect of the car a bit more to serve as a companion. Great game, though!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There was like one mission where the story was kinda rising to the level of working for me (deep zone missions spoiler) when you're doing the loop around the map charging up the things when tobias dies but it was pretty much a flatline before and after that. Fortunately it doesn't really hinder things much, it doesn't really get in your way if you're not vibing with it

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

There was like one mission where the story was kinda rising to the level of working for me (deep zone missions spoiler) when you're doing the loop around the map charging up the things when tobias dies but it was pretty much a flatline before and after that. Fortunately it doesn't really hinder things much, it doesn't really get in your way if you're not vibing with it

Yeah, that one was really good, and why I left my comment about Tobias' bobblehead. I really think they should have given the driver a personality and arc of their own, instead of going silent player-insert protagonist.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Just finished the game. I echo a lot of the story concerns people brought up previously. I'm coming out the other side of this really ambivalent about it. Like, I enjoyed playing it and hell I sunk 66 hours into it, but I don't think I've been as disappointed in a game that I had this much fun in. Worth the 30 bucks but I see in my mind what this game could have been and it leaves me wanting.

(spoilering in case you don't want to read ahead on any silly side lore, but it's not a game critical spoiler)
One thing I kept thinking was that when you hear the storm siren, it starts with a click like an intercom switching on, and ends with a similar click. I began thinking to myself, "haha what if it's just an anomaly making whoop whoops into a microphone somewhere" and hoped the shouty boy I imagined in my head was having a good time.

Then I found this note. https://i.imgur.com/8HW9qab.jpeg

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I haven’t beaten it and have avoided spoilers but I still maintain the Radio Characters are kinda bad and the game would have been served better as a “last man on the Olympic peninsula” vibe. I still really love the game but the opening “oh my god! It’s a guy! And he’s coming this way! And he has a remnant! A remnant is a powerful thing we’re interested in! Oh what a big deal! Oh sorry there’s a bad part…”

I dunno, that whole thing sucked a lot of the mystery out of the game for me. I feel like a sort of mid game reveal of what a “remnant” was and that you’re already falling for one is a better take. The sort of exposition dumps from the characters are just too forward. I think what I’m missing is that there’s not really any, actual mystery to the game: one of the radio voices will tell me exactly what I don’t understand in detail as soon as I want to know about it.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I like my radio friends and enjoy their conversations.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i really like the random bits of radio chatter from other characters; there's some chick doing a podcast for no-one and is just, real cheerful about her sitch

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This game is really cool but now that I’m in the late game and regularly visiting the deep zone most of the map is extreme conditions and all the junctions I want to go to for particular resources are shut down. Is there anything I can do about this besides running the easy junctions until it clears up?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

haveblue posted:

This game is really cool but now that I’m in the late game and regularly visiting the deep zone most of the map is extreme conditions and all the junctions I want to go to for particular resources are shut down. Is there anything I can do about this besides running the easy junctions until it clears up?

One thing that will help is getting the Level 3 antenna which will let you reroll junctions. In my experience, there's a good chance a reroll will get rid of the extreme conditions.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing for a little while now and the atmosphere is great and I love the fiddling with the car. However the NPC radio banter is really grating on my nerves. I wonder if this is gonna be one of those games where NPC's get all the character progression and I'm just a Gordonfreeman who doesn't get even a say in anything (get it, a say? silent protagonist? ... I'll show myself out)

Other than that it's been fun so far. Reminds me a bit of The Long Dark, if you could drive the cars around.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 12, 2024

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Had a clip come over the radio of someone saying goodbye to someone else in the zone that they were waiting for before being forced to leave for the mandatory evacuation. Pretty spoopy.

Starting to get in to the mid game in the middle zone, guess I'm picking up the "spirit" of the game now that I have enough scrap metal, rubber, plastic and so on. I don't have to loot goblin the entire map on every pass now. I can blitz through an area, hit up all the anchors, maybe stop at an electric tower for some plasma or pull over for some swamp eggs if I see them, then just haul rear end to the next zone.

Last night was the third time that I got back on after work to find every difficulty setting was reset to default and the tutorial message about dumpster diving was back. Nothing else gets wiped or defaulted, just those two sets of information.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

TeaJay posted:

I've been playing for a little while now and the atmosphere is great and I love the fiddling with the car. However the NPC radio banter is really grating on my nerves. I wonder if this is gonna be one of those games where NPC's get all the character progression and I'm just a Gordonfreeman who doesn't get even a say in anything (get it, a say? silent protagonist? ... I'll show myself out)

Quick answer: They’re waiting for you, Driver, in the test chamber…

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

i really like the random bits of radio chatter from other characters; there's some chick doing a podcast for no-one and is just, real cheerful about her sitch

My read on that is that the podcaster was making her video essay from outside the zone, and towers inside the zone somehow picked up and recorded the cast.

How? No clue. But I enjoyed those and when I find the urge to play again I'm going to keep looking for those boxes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How are you getting these? Sometimes I'll be in a squall and my car goes nuts and I get a split second of something on the radio and a long subtitle shows up for a second and then disappears. Is there a radio station that has these or something?

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Cojawfee posted:

How are you getting these? Sometimes I'll be in a squall and my car goes nuts and I get a split second of something on the radio and a long subtitle shows up for a second and then disappears. Is there a radio station that has these or something?
Sometimes when you're in a junction there'll be a green circle with a cassette icon, if you go to them you'll find a receiver antenna you can grab a cassette player from that has the podcast. I think the loot/anomaly list on the route planner shows you the locations you haven't picked up the cassette from, too, so you can make sure you grab them all.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I don't recall doing anything specific to get the message I was referencing. There are lore drops in the cassettes you find on the map, but going off memory the podcasts and the spoopy goodbye were just random stuff off the radio.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've noticed those seem to be correlated with getting caught in a moving storm, but not enough to say that's definitely what causes them. They also seem to play only from the car radio and not get forwarded to your headset, so if you're outside when it happens you may miss the whole thing

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

surfacelevelspeck posted:

Sometimes when you're in a junction there'll be a green circle with a cassette icon, if you go to them you'll find a receiver antenna you can grab a cassette player from that has the podcast. I think the loot/anomaly list on the route planner shows you the locations you haven't picked up the cassette from, too, so you can make sure you grab them all.

Yep. If a location has a cassette, it'll have a little cassette icon in the list of anomalies/resources. It's called Radio-something. I can't remember the second word. But each one of those you collect gets you a new segment of the podcast lady's essay.

There's also random radio interference your car radio can pick up, but that is unrelated to the cassette collection.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I went back in and looked at some junctions and saw the casettes and grabbed a couple. Turns out I had seen this before, but I guess I didn't grab the tape or something. While doing this, I've also been trying to find more anomalies to scan and I've been checking out the outer zone. It's really crazy how frantic I was at the beginning of the game, freaking out and making a mad dash for everything. And now I see the auto storm coming in and I realize I've got time to loot a few more buildings. Though I did almost die in a fuel evaporating junction where I set off the anchor storm and was heading for the portal, but then a pick pocket stole my drat door. So I stopped to grab my door back, and then the car ran out of gas, so I had to stop and fill it up from the can. By the time i got through the portal, the storm had fully closed. A crazy ending for what was supposed to be a quick jaunt out to collect a tape, lol.

Edit: I was trying to figure out why the green tape icon was so familiar to me despite not having any tapes. I think it must have been on the run I had where I crashed, because I specifically remember having a green tape icon in my inventory at some point in the past. So it was probably on that run I had where it just crashed on me.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 13, 2024

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

boy those side-mounted floodlights really burn through your battery lol

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

boy those side-mounted floodlights really burn through your battery lol

When I saw they weren't front facing, I just took them off.

Also, does the lightning rod actually prevent lightning damage? It didn't seem so in my testing with a spark tower.

Damone
May 3, 2009

Teledahn posted:

When I saw they weren't front facing, I just took them off.

Also, does the lightning rod actually prevent lightning damage? It didn't seem so in my testing with a spark tower.

All but sizzling mist and the wriggling wreck discharge

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol good thing I stocked up on rubber for spares this run bc I just watched an abductor toss my car into a group ot tourists which sent it flying directly onto a spike puddle

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
This is why I always keep a limpulse emitter and pop it the second I see one of those fuckers get close. Jumpers are far cheaper than replacing all the bodywork.
Unless you mean you were off the car, in which case throw 2-3 flares right right after getting out and throw another whenever you see see or hear abductors.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Kyte posted:

This is why I always keep a limpulse emitter and pop it the second I see one of those fuckers get close. Jumpers are far cheaper than replacing all the bodywork.
Unless you mean you were off the car, in which case throw 2-3 flares right right after getting out and throw another whenever you see see or hear abductors.

Oh poo poo, Limpulse emitters work for abductors? Do they work on pickpockets as well?

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Also the chain reaction fails are one of the things that I dig the most about the game. I was cussing out having a bunch of hot dust zones spawn around the car after I grabbed an anchor, decided to just run through the radiation to secure the anchor. Halfway through loading it into the car a bubblegum anomaly that I hadn't even seen ripped the anchor out of my hands and ran off with it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love when one of those anomalies that launches the car spawns right next to the front passenger door after I grab an anchor.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I love when one of those anomalies that launches the car spawns right next to the front passenger door after I grab an anchor.

I started parking a good 100m from the anchors just to avoid this nonsense. A bit of radiation chipping and a run is a small price to pay for not having to wrangle bollards and gysers.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
My car did once get popped straight up with the passenger door open, and landed at just a small angle with a bollard up. Sheared the passenger door off instantly, but didn't really damage it. Pretty cool to have a physics simulation that detailed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Warmachine posted:

I started parking a good 100m from the anchors just to avoid this nonsense. A bit of radiation chipping and a run is a small price to pay for not having to wrangle bollards and gysers.

I'm almost certain the yellow circle around anchors gives the radius where random stuff like that can spawn. My habit is to park on the edge of the radius, drop one flare about 50 ft from the car and then another flare kinda close to the anchor. Grab the anchor and you have your distractions in place already for whatever random poo poo spawns that wants to grab/run towards you/the flares, and the car is usually out of range of stuff like the bouncy vents that just looooooove to spawn under the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

My car did once get popped straight up with the passenger door open, and landed at just a small angle with a bollard up. Sheared the passenger door off instantly, but didn't really damage it. Pretty cool to have a physics simulation that detailed.

My very first run out of the tutorial had my car get flipped over by a bollard after grabbing an anchor. I spent like 15 minutes flipping it back over by kicking it onto the bollard again since I hadn't yet realized how the Emergency Teleport worked and thought it was the equivalent of abandoning a run.