Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
You guys hear about this? Seems bad? Is paying a surcharge to get face deep in a Baconator what finally gets America off its laurels to tear down the ruling class?

CNN posted:

New York

The price of a Wendy’s Frosty could soon fluctuate throughout the day as the chain looks to introduce Uber-like surge pricing on its menu.

The practice, known as “dynamic pricing,” will begin testing in 2025, Wendy’s recently revealed in an earnings call. It’s part of a $20 million investment in new digital menu boards at its US restaurants that enable them to change prices depending on demand.

Few details were released about the change, but Wendy’s CEO Kirk Tanner said the new menus will let the fast food chain test “more enhanced features like dynamic pricing and day-part offerings along with AI-enabled menu changes and suggestive selling.”

“We expect our digital menu boards will drive immediate benefits to order accuracy, improve crew experience and sales growth from upselling and consistent merchandising execution,” Tanner said on the call.

The menus were first shown in a mockup of a redesigned Wendy’s unveiled in 2022 that featured new pick-up windows, a more technologically advanced kitchen and a spruced-up interior. The new menus have already rolled out at some drive-thrus, with some TikTok users showing them powered by an automated voice, instead of a human worker, with suggestions for add-ons featured onscreen.

Surge pricing is common with sports and concert tickets and for ride-hailing apps, with services like Ticketmaster and Uber using sophisticated dynamic pricing algorithms that change minute by minute, based on demand. However, there hasn’t been widespread adoption from restaurants because of the labor it takes employees to change menus.

But apps and digital menus can easily update prices on the fly, giving fast food chains an easier to way to implement dynamic pricing. Wendy’s expects digital order sales to reach $2 billion this year and is spending $15 million to upgrade its app.

McDonald’s has also dabbled with dynamic pricing and new order-suggestion capabilities at some of its upgraded drive-thrus and on its app. However, the varied and inconsistent prices at its franchises have ignited outrage recently for affecting the affordability of its food.

Surge pricing could be a “turning point” in the industry, according to Jonathan Maze, editor-in-chief of trade publication Restaurant Business. “If Wendy’s idea works, it could get others to do something similar, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see another chain or two test the idea themselves, given what Wendy’s is doing.”

Maze adds that there’s risk, especially in light of the fluctuating prices of fast food. “The idea that a restaurant chain would potentially raise prices during busy times of day, even if consumers think they’re raising prices, then it could lead to a backlash,” he told CNN. “They’ll have to tread carefully. This is why we haven’t seen a lot of it.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

capitalism rules. guess i'm done ever eating at wendy's

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
With Uber, you pull up the app and it tells you that there's surge pricing and how much your ride will cost, so if you don't want to pay that much, you don't book a ride. How is this going to work with Wendy's? You're in the drive thru line, you get to the menu, see that a Junior Bacon Chee is like $13.75 and you're like gently caress that, but then you're just stuck waiting to get through the drive thru lineup.

It seems like a solution to the problem of "our staff doesn't get yelled at enough".

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I was told about this last night and the only thing I could be bothered to say was that it sounds like a really stupid idea.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

You guys hear about this?

oh my goodness the Mastery is spreading

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Grey Cat posted:

I was told about this last night and the only thing I could be bothered to say was that it sounds like a really stupid idea.

You will never get several million dollars from coked-up venture capitalists with that attitude :clint:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:hmbol:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Cheeseburger, fries, and a shake still like $8 at in n out, get rekt non bestcoasters

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

If they actually roll this out they'll either kill the Wendy's brand dead or have to spend a decade rebuilding what they lose before cancelling this stupid idea.

What are they trying to accomplish with this? Forcing people to eat at different times?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Grey Cat posted:

Number must go up uP UP

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

A Fancy Hat posted:

If they actually roll this out they'll either kill the Wendy's brand dead or have to spend a decade rebuilding what they lose before cancelling this stupid idea.

What are they trying to accomplish with this? Forcing people to eat at different times?

[extremely greg of doom voice] Thanks biden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't forget to pay your student loans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

EorayMel posted:

[extremely greg of doom voice] Thanks biden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't forget to pay your student loans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That’s nom epique, who, believe it or not, is not Greg of doom

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

:stare:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I don’t eat fast food at all anymore because of the ridiculous prices, but Wendy’s was the one of the last fast food places that hadn’t shittified their offerings with smaller portions for more money (yet).

I guess the (yet) is gone and capitalism reigns lol.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

havent seen the ol piss creep in a minute. anyone do a wellness check?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

i bet actually that this will vbe the new norm for fast food and wendys is on the cutting edge

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I'm gonna set up a program that monitors Wendy's for off hour prices so I can run over and buy a ton of burgers and then sell them out of my trunk in the parking lot for slightly less than surge prices at lunch time

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Nooner posted:

I'm gonna set up a program that monitors Wendy's for off hour prices so I can run over and buy a ton of burgers and then sell them out of my trunk in the parking lot for slightly less than surge prices at lunch time

this is a more sound investment than bitcoin

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Expectation: people love wendys so much dt peak times they will pay twice as much for a burger, netting us huge profits!
Reality: angry patrons will demand refunds when a 4 dollar burger is inexplicably 12 dollars. After one occurance of this they will sinply go to the sonic or in and out down the road where they will not be scalped by idiot techbros.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

This is why spreadsheets are handy

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nooner posted:

burger arbitrage

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

This is why spreadsheets are handy

Current_GBS_Lore.xls

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

running the points spread on the 3 wendys in town. flipping work on the daily. thats thre inviisible hand of the free market baby

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Looks like, as some may say, Wendy's is trying to get a lot of fingers in the chili :ocelot: :grin:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

gotta make a margin call on some nugs

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

If ever there was a time for Dave Thomas to return from the grave, it’s now.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Got my BurgrBuddy app notifications set to ON

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

shorting tf out of baconators. got futures contracts stacked up the wazoo on them today. got the inside line on the Mulberry locatyion - theyre about to get turned out by a food inspector. will be able to offload these notes for a mint before market close today

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

You Are A Werewolf posted:

If ever there was a time for Dave Thomas to return from the grave, it’s now.

My man Dave already trying to roll over but that coffin is square

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Freckle Bitch's, also shortened to FB's is a chain Fast Food restaurant in Saints Row, Saints Row 2, and Saints Row (reboot).

You Can't Beat Our Meat

— Slogan

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Buddy, I made $100 trading classic doubles this week, what have you done?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

gotta make a margin call on some nugs

lol. capital firm sending a besuited agent out to your travelling brokerage (a clapped 1992 honda civic). demanding you top up funds in your account as the price of nugs plummets. telling you you have 48 hours to deposit the money or return the 37,000 6-pieces you shorted earlier this week

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Wendy's sucks so much rear end now its insane

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
lost my family's savings betting on how much a Baconator would be at 3:30 pm at the Wendys on 165th and Broadway

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wendy's has always been hostile to the consumer. Sharp cornered burgers that give you a joker smile when you rail gun the burger down

luv2shit
May 15, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
i will kill wendy

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

i will kill her as well

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

bossy lady posted:

Wendy's sucks so much rear end now its insane

The Yelp page for the one in my town is just 4 pages of one star reviews lmao

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I see this leading to Popeye's Chicken Sandwich levels of fast food violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
wendy's can do whatever they want but as soon as they take away the 4 for $5 they are dead to me like so many before them