Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zugzwang posted:

We are all traveling forward through time, in real time. The lamest time travel ever.
We can time travel arbitrarily forward in time by using relativistic travel. Basically if you apply a specific amount of energy travelling to and from earth for example, you can arrive at a specific time in the earth's future while only experiencing moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

cumpantry posted:

in english, egghead
If you know how to go really really fast you don't need to wait for the next Madden to be released. You can just go there like it's a place.

syntaxfunction posted:

The "no such thing as free will" is on the same level as "we're all just the universe" in that it's kind of a fun philosophical soundbite but doesn't really have any meaningful application or use.

On one hand if free will doesn't exist in the purest sense then why have laws, but on the other it does lend credence to why, in fact, you are hitting yourself.
Free will is nearly confirmed to be an anthropocentric wish about our ability to control anything at all. The current quantum point of view offers absolutely no pathway for consciousness to affect quantum resolution of universal data points. There's obviously room in a grand unified theory for magic but most evidence for free will is that it feels wrong when you're a consciousness.

The new hotness on the topic of things that make entirely no difference in your life as a consciousness is whether the universe is being played live and every quantum resolution is randomly decided on the spot or the universe is a static timeline of events that appear random to consciousnesses confined by causality.

Joker card: the universe might be the former but our consciousness may be trapped in the latter ex. We may be a holographic artifact in the event horizon of a black hole which is encoding the universe.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Let me put it in practical terms: there's no proof you can get a boner on Mars.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rad-daddio posted:

Is there a nearby planet with way more than earth gravity?

Need to work on my quads.
Head on down to the fair grounds.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Relativity of spacetime is a real thing that I don't understand outside of nerd soundbites.

Relativity of memory is a fake thing that I understand explicitly as describing the entirety of my human experience.

If you are experiencing new things each moment is short but the calendar takes it's sweet time to advance.

If you are stuck in a cycle of repetition each moment is long and the calendar advances at breakneck speeds.

Post childhood is a war of trying to balance these ideas so that you are not stuck in an infinite well of novelty getting nowhere while also not racing to death on a tide of routine and familiarity.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
CBT for anxiety is if you think about nothing it matters but if you write the nothing down and throw it out then it doesn't matter.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

redshirt posted:

I mean from any scale other than your own personal scale. From the perspective of galactic super clusters, for example.
The galactic supercluster is a super-consciousness which is built, among other memory-holding structures, of your consciousness so that it feels fulfilled by your finding things that matter to you so that among other things it is intensely embarrassed by my posting in this topic.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Beefed Owl posted:

If you aren't using a bidet you deserve any swamp rear end that you get
I'm not sure you understand what swamp rear end is.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ReelBigLizard posted:

Apple circa '01-12 I would have agreed, nothing touched the macbooks for function and reliability.

The entire Product Experience is only centered around MVP now. They can only achieve the polish they do because they have closed all the gates and aggressively stripped out everything that caters to niche users and edge cases.

If it works for you great but it is because you are doing nothing remarkable.
There is no greater aspiration in life than to have circumstances that allow you to do nothing remarkable.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Every generation has thought they are a part of the apocalypse. One of these days they will be right.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Smoking things is a boomer habit.

The slick gleaming future of pharmacology is putting things in your stomach, butthole, or veins. Only if you have to use your lungs then it's ok as long as the substance is room temperature and particulate free.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rad-daddio posted:

it was originally Nazi fuel. maybe america got that along with the rocket scientists in operation paperclip.
Coincidentally determining "how do I make stimulants out of random stuff I find in chemical plant drains" to be fair.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ulillinguist posted:

Animals are sentient and intelligent. We no longer require them for our nutritional or caloric needs. Therefore torturing them and killing them for our tastbuds is immoral.

Animal agriculture cuts down forests for farming and produces methane that is more damaging to global warming than CO2 over the long period.

One of the best things each of us can do to prevent global warming is to go vegan.
With you till the veganism conclusion. There are enough backflips getting enough micronutrients that it would cause agricultural risk and supply chain stress if it was unanimous. Realpolitik compromise is eating eggs and milk is a simple agricultural resiliency release valve and simple source of nutrients that don't exist or are in annoying concentrations in plants and we could make the stringy old hens and retired milk cows available for the incorrigible meat eaters.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

redshirt posted:

Any future long term habitation in space will require pretty drastic changes in diet for everyone. Meat will be rare, as will certain crops.
Rare meat would be an immediate problem with modern limitations on weight. If we figure out how to not have people drop dead from radiation or aneurysms we are going to take chickens and pigs for the same reason they were indispensable on long distance sea voyages or dropping off on random islands just in case. They can eat garbage and turn failed crops or crop waste into forage and turn it into extra food.

Cutting out the conspicuous consumption that has come to be associated directly with meat consumption in the west, animals are indispensable supply chain tools until we invent a plant that can compost organic waste on its own and ooze proteins for multiple years until it's culled for even more fat and protein.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Your grandkids might be able to get a job as a poop digestion machine technician and unknowing long term habitation study on commercialized tourist or mining operations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The middle class isn't real. They are low class who have been given free time to serve as a carrot on a stick for the rest.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
As long as it's impossible to stop being black, or gay, or trans in public were going to have to acknowledge people are black, or gay, or trans in public conversations and the least we can do is try to use the accepted terms and language for it while going 'hell yeah' instead of pretending you aren't black, gay, or trans.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Plants have a life experience too and trying to discount it just because they don't have brains or immediately react to stimulus is short sided.

Finding no value in any moral calculus about plants and animals I limit my meat consumption purely out of self serving greed to live longer which further extends my reign of terror against all living things.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Senator Sprinkles posted:

Rich people will never ever ever ever experience substantial consequences for the things they do wrong. Not like you or I will.
Oh yeah what about the one that just got drunk and drove into a lake. Extremely an everyman situation.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Baked potato is best experienced wrapped in foil and held in a mittened hand when outside in the freezing cold. If you are too good to eat a baked potato in the intended way then I can't help you.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

rotinaj posted:

What else are you supposed to be doing when crouching on a snowy plain and feasting on your baked potato

I feel like this deserves explanation or elaboration
Baked potatoes are fall street vendor, fair, or camping food. But I like the idea of including featureless snowy plains in it's repertoire.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There are no worst potato dishes. Only potato dishes made with the wrong type of potato. Potato will never fail you. They can only be failed by you.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

redshirt posted:

Actually, if you have a favorite potato serving style then by definition you have less favorite styles, and thus let the rankings commence!
You can rank whatever you want but using a word with a strong negative connotation like worst for something as blessed as a potato implies you are personally doing wrong things to the potato.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've come to prefer the oligarchical control of the political party duopoly because I am never without a scapegoat to be angry at and I don't need to see my own views challenged by the messiness of the real world.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Super Store, Abbott Elementary, 30 Rock, The Office - you know all those recent comedies. They're the same show set in slightly different places. All of them are trying and failing to capture Airplane!/The Naked Gun style humor.
The Naked Gun is more contemporary to The Office and 30 Rock than The Office and 30 Rock are to today.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Chief McHeath posted:

I’m gonna say that well over half of adults complaining vaguely about nebulous “pain” are just addicts.
Good news for the accuracy of this statement: if they weren't when they started complaining they're going to be afterwards.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's spine statistics that get drug out in spine court (I recently served on a spine court jury so I am an expert at spine court) and it's by 35, 30% of people have some sort of disc disease and by 60 90% have it. It's age related but since we aren't all hunched over Lowtaxes there's obviously some trick somewhere between don't let the corporate man reap your spine and don't treat your spine like it's job is to keep your fat rear end sitting up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
- Me telling my date "wait I haven't even blasted the 'cado with my pepper cannon yet!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Shift meeting yoga prevents injuries and disability and it's always hilarious seeing the tough guys too good to join in.