Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sonic the Hedgehog games were always bad :hai:

Yeah, I've never enjoyed them. Even when it was the only option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

U just aren't ready for it

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Just like Simulation Theory or Last Tuesdayism, it doesn't matter. It's fun to think about but it doesn't matter.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

redshirt posted:

Nothing matters, if you think about it.

Yes and No. Depends on what matters to you. Though I would put free will and the other things I mentioned in the almost objectively doesn't matter category because it's not verifiable in any way and doesn't change anything regardless if it is true or not.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

redshirt posted:

I mean from any scale other than your own personal scale. From the perspective of galactic super clusters, for example.

True, though, what does 'mattering' mean anyways? Is it just a feeling? Does it have to have an effect? Feelings have a effects and consequences. Conversely, things that occur can matter because they generate feelings of some sort. Do things only matter when it's personal or does it also apply to every scale of human grouping all the way up to a global consciousness?

I don't know. So I guess everything matters and nothing does.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

redshirt posted:

So many folks are soft, and have no idea how good they have it.

Agreed. When people say doomery poo poo about how everything is a hellscape of some sort, I initially agree and then think back to my past and where history has been and then chuckle.

Truth be told though, it is important that people think things are bad or else there's no impetus to change things, there's still lots to change even though much of the dialog is silly or naive.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Rad-daddio posted:

If they made CAD software that ran on a Mac I'd be tempted.

Way back in1990, my shop bought a cam software system, and it came installed on a Mac as a package deal.

Virtual Gibbs?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Rad-daddio posted:

Lol yep!

I've still got the instruction binders for it too complete with bbs numbers for tech support.

We kept the original computer, but the gfx card went out so it's just a museum piece for the attic.

Lol. VG was the first cam system I used when I was like 14 and they had just come out with a DOS version. Nice looking interface but clunky as poo poo, was pretty cool at the time though.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Wasting semen without intent to procreate is an affront to God.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Time_pants posted:

Your first paragraph is some temporal whataboutism. Plus, it kind of ignores how Zoomers are absolutely hosed as resources grow more scarce and wealth and power become increasingly concentrated among a few plutocrats. What else? OH RIGHT! And the fact that the planet is melting, disasters and extreme weather are becoming increasingly common, and rising sea levels are going to displace millions over the next 50 years, and rising temperatures are going to make food increasingly scarce.

But yeah I guess it's not the bubonic plague.

Let's put it this way. We are living in a time where things are probably as good as they'll ever be in so many ways (as far as we know) So you may as well enjoy it while it lasts. Enjoy your life, friends and youth rather than live in a constant state of panic about some unknown future. I spent my 20's and 30's freaking out about poo poo I have no control over and it's ultimately up to me to live my life, good or bad, as best I can. That doesn't mean that you don't try to change things or have concern for the future but catastrophizing doesn't present an accurate picture of the future or your future in particular.

So yeah, at least it's not the bubonic plague, or the 99.9% of human history where not even kings got to live like us.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Time_pants posted:

Do you have kids? That's why the bleak future is a source of stress.

I get you. We want the best for our kids and we want them to live better than we did.

I will say this though, I think in the modern media age, for the last 70 years we've been going through versions of a kind of generational trauma through the stories, fears and worries that we burden each successive generation with. Whether you're on the left or right we have these fears like fascism, satanic panic, kidnapping, the environment, a nuclear holocaust, war, famine and now we tell kids that the world is basically over and there is no future. They (and we) get to see it unfold now in real time. No wonder these good kids are such a loving mess, and I thought we were bad in the 90's. We keep these fears alive across generations and decades and compound them. We just won't let them fade. I think some of us get addicted to being afraid for the future, myself included.

I think a good example is the kidnapping panic of the late 80's and early 90's. At that time we were allowed to play outside, stay out with friends and have some freedom. A mere 10 or so years later children were no longer allowed to have any freedom and it has only gotten worse. We did that, not our parents, we did. Based on their fears.

I'm not sure exactly where I'm going with this. I'm not a particularly good writer but I think that sometimes being in a knowingly blissfully unaware state might be better for everyone's mental health. Particularly if you're not in a position to do anything about it. I dunno.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

While weed puts me to sleep hard, I find I don't dream and I don't actually get a good sleep. my body is more rested but my brain is tired, if that makes sense.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I love eating meat. I also understand that animals suffer, have fear and feel pain. If I were ideologically consistent I would be at the very least vegetarian, but like all people, I'm not.

And yes, veganism or vegetarianism would be best for the planet. Though there are some crops that are better than others and getting people on board would be almost impossible.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

MrQwerty posted:

you run livestreams where you can't figure out how to drive cars and mumble

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Sentient Data posted:

Trans activists are fighting against their own cause. A male/female dichotomy is the entire toolset of the patriarchy, and reinforcing the importance of publicly being any specific gender (including non-male/female) only strengthens the system they hate. Anyone that believes gender is a spectrum should be fighting for gender as a whole to be considered as intimate and functionally irrelevant to your professional life as your religion or sexual preferences

I dunno. It's very much like anti racism where you double and triple down on the concept of race as a thing and wind up reinforcing it in a different way. Do you engage with it and fight it out? Or do you try to be blind to it and let it fester? I don't know the line to walk on those things.

Ultimately, as long as things change in a certain direction, even if slowly then it's a win.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I'm a part-time vegan, or in modern parlance, vegan-fluid.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Yeah, exactly. Who cares? Tattoos are a form of expression and I support people getting them if they want. I don't even have tattoos or want any but I think it's great when people have cool tattoos.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I'll be honest, it was worse a few years ago in terms of politics. I mean, we do have a kind of learned helplessness vibe lately but at least we got rid of the authoritarian tankie adjacents for the most part.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

counterfeitsaint posted:

Just like if you inject politics to every conversation and every single thing you think, say, or type, then you're making a difference!

I 100% understand why people inject politics into everything but I agree, it's exhausting.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I tried going into LF a couple of times but it was loving nuts in there. I'm not sure if that's a fair characterization but that was my impression.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

What counts as a baked potato though? Potato skins? Stuffed potato? I'll agree though, a plain baked potato isn't great.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Protesting. Building parallel structures to care for people. These are a much better use of time than either voting or scolding people for not voting as they're told.

Not directed at redshirt: why is it so important to you how other people use their vote? To me, it screams of trying to control other people's actions.

I'll be honest though, the vast majority of people who don't vote don't do those things. I don't think that refraining from doing the most basic low-effort parts of being a citizen is some sort of signifier of higher-level political interaction.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

redshirt posted:

Are you a potato?

Don't we all have a little bit of potato in us?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

dervival posted:

would you rather suck a camel's dick?

Or a polar bear's smelly rear end?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Contests between oligarchs who don't give a drat what you think.

May as well give up then I guess. The oligarchy thanks you for your lack of participation.

I'm not equating you to them, but you know who else says the exact same thing? Alex Jones listeners and Trumpists. They genuinely believe that the government is a lost cause and it's rigged and they mostly don't vote. I genuinely believe that a democracy can only be strong and equitable through large scale buy-in and participation.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Saalkin posted:

Violent revolution

I hear a lot of people say that and I'm not sure if you're joking but I don't think that the left would be in a favorable position in the event of a revolution.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Never said that people "shouldn't comment", just that they shouldn't give a poo poo what other people do or don't do with their vote. That seems like common sense to me; you overreacted to it.

I think it's like admitting that you willfully litter sometimes. Sure, it's not a big deal and if it's just you then it's of no concern but when done across a great many people it adds up and it becomes everyone's business. People are bound to have feelings about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I say as a fatty that I own my poor decisions. I'm very glad that people here can enjoy a moment of patting themselves on the back for their good decision making skills and discipline to keep themselves not fat.

I hope we can invite other people to come post. People who've made good, shrewd decisions. I invite them to post as well.