Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
global warming is real as gently caress and there is nothing any one individual can do about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Extra row of tits posted:

All opposition is so scattered and isolationist that Trump is going to win the next election simply by being the candidate with the largest consistent support group. This is going to give the minority of terrible people in the US power and is probably going to be the end of the strongest democracy in the world and have catastrophic knock on effects for the whole world. In 20 years one of the following two situations will exist:

A: The world will be as poo poo for us first worlders as it is for people living in countries when the government is a failed corrupt and useless organisation.

B: Through some miracle the US regains it’s equilibrium and teens in the 2040s will lol at how morons in the olden days gullibly believed obvious nonsense that a blind man could see through and they would never fall for.

Trump won't win, but both of these things are going to happen anyway. There is 0.0% chance that the US survives as a 50 state democracy past 2030

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

egg_dog posted:

You don't need to wash the outside of cups

Unless you plan to stack them in the cupboard

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
its possible to outrun time

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

bitterandtwisted posted:

I've lived on farms, villages, small towns, suburban sprawl and the inner city and all have their pros and cons.
Except suburban sprawl which is just poo poo.

Nothing worse than living in a big 'burbplex so you're surrounded by assholes, but its 20 minutes of driving on city streets to get to a store or gas station.

The country is nice because its quiet, but it invariably involves a lot more yardwork, and the internet sucks (if you live in the US) Also you have to cook for yourself all the time, and your neighbors are 99.9999% likely to be weird racist assholes

Inner city can be ok, but anywhere on the west coast is deluged in homeless addicts*. Also most apartment buildings are stick & podium modern tenements, so you can hear your neighbors drop a cup on the floor (also giant deathtraps if there's a fire)

Centrally located burbs w/o endless sprawl are cool and good, but they all cost a million dollars and never rent

*not all homeless are addicts, and not all addicts are homeless, but the ones you see day-to-day are.

EDIT

Pajser posted:

Suppose I must have bad luck, but I grew up on a farm on a hilly region, so everything was always hours away, and it was always a pain in the rear end getting anywhere and getting anything. Our neighbors were either miserable, overworked alcoholics or wealthy suburbanites on their over-done second houses. Other kids around either made it a point to leave and never come back or stayed and spend their free time trying to outrun cops whenever they got caught speeding, which was always.

The most prolific addicts I met very always rural. And I get it. There is loving nothing else to do.

This describes my dad's neighborhood perfectly. A woman drank herself to death on hand sanitizer. Dad is locked in specific, petty, spiteful battles with every neighbor on the lane. There's a well-known turn in the road that has monthly, sometimes weekly fatalities from speeding drunk people. There's the shitpoor people like my dad, and there's people who maintain a country estate for their horses, and nothing in between.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 6, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Car Hater posted:

I had to bottom out to quit weed for good and now every time I'm around it my mind boggles at how I could normalize it

Truth: weed smoke fuckin stinks, not the same as cigarettes but just as bad in a different way. Everyone around you knows, you're not being paranoid, they just don't want to rock the boat by confronting you about being a gross stoner.

This is so loving true. I'm almost a month free of perfidious cannabis, and its been a lotta :stare: moments when I remembered how I was obviously very, very high and people just let it slide

bradzilla posted:

It's also not even a very good high

Also this. Plus it fucks with your sleep, just like cigarettes

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

counterfeitsaint posted:

The hardcore "bloodmouth carnists are all murderers who are ruining the planet and I'm going to tell you about it" types aren't going to change their behavior anymore than any of the rest of us. The entire world could go vegan tomorrow and within a month those same people would be attacking others for being so profoundly selfish as to consume things like avocados and almonds. It's just as much, if not more so, about the sense of moral superiority as anything else.

We don't "need" to eat meat at all. We also don't "need" to watch TV, travel vast distances to see other parts of the world, or post on dead gay comedy forums, all of which is wasteful and causes harm.

there's no ethical consumption under capitalism

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Time_pants posted:

Also, the only long-term habitation in space will be restricted to astronauts and the ultra-wealthy. The closest anyone with a sub-8-figure bank account will get to space is an afternoon on the vomit comet.

Hard disagree. If you look at the history of colonization, it all started with middle-class educated dudes with big ambitions , the extremely poor, and the really loving weird

redshirt posted:

Yeah, if there are actual services and industry in space, there will be corresponding poorly paid workers to do the worst jobs. Rich folks ain't doing none of that.

:hmmyes: Bezos and Branson are the only capital B billionaires who've even been subortital. There are a bunch of software dudes who've been in orbit like Richard Garriott, but he's an edge case and most certainly qualifies under the 'really loving weird' category

Space travel is going to suck an incredible amount of rear end for the first century, and it will be the poor and desperate who get sent up to build the infrastructure, but capitalism will unquestionably drive space colonization.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Time_pants posted:

Tell me how a middle class person will get into orbit. I'm genuinely curious.

How did Christopher Columbus get to the New World? Ferdinand and Isabella made a longshot bet because they would get loving paid if it worked out, plus they could flip the bird to John II of Portugal, their richass neighbor.

thats literally how humanity has worked for multiple thousands of years - a rich dude sees a chance to get more rich, and they send someone who is smart/educated enough to pull it off, but poor enough that nobody will care if they die / greedy enough to mount a suicide mission

To draw another analogy - Hot air balloons. The cost of rockets right now is somewhere between 18th century rich dude eccentricism and 19th/20th century vague military applications. It will only get cheaper.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Time_pants posted:

Right, but the technology to put people on boats already existed. Land colonization had already been done. Columbus' funtime slave adventures were not completely unheard of in their own time. The idea of a meaningful number of people in space isn't the same problem as "just build a bigger boat."

Once they arrived, yes, conditions would be horrendous, but they were also comparable to expeditions that preceded them.

Whats your argument here? Nobody is saying that Columbus's journey was a technical marvel*, or that he was a good person (he wasnt). The greeks (and a lot of other cultures) knew the world was round a thousand years before Columbus was born. Vikings had been to North America 300 years before Columbus convinced the Spanish royalty that there was a faster/cheaper way to sail to India (which would also cut out the Portuguese stranglehold). Colonizing the new world was never about needing a bigger boat, it was about spending the money to send enough boats and people to build a colony with the express purpose of finding riches and sending them back home.

Much like the vikings and vinland, we've gone to space a tiny bit but haven't really figured out how to exploit it yet. Capitalism will do that, whether its helium-3 on the moon or zero-g manufacturing or an iridium asteroid the size of Dallas. Once there's a genuinely valuable reason to go, rich people will be funding space expeditions instantly - and there's no loving way they're going up there to do the work.

*being stuck at sea for 8+ weeks, surrounded by saltwater and unable to swim, with zero medical care and only a vague understanding of nutrition is not so much different than shoving a buncha people into pressurized aluminum cans while they mine moon ore or whatever.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 10, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Batman's super power is he's the Worlds Greatest Detective

its just hard for comic books to portray Batman outthinking people when the audience is dumb as poo poo for reading comic books :v:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Nocheez posted:

The ratio of bad comic book movies to good ones is unreal.

:hmmyes: The entirety of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is/was a shared hallucination that shitass movies were somehow cool, and good

Blade and Tim Burton's Batman are the only good comic book movies

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Rad-daddio posted:

Was the whole hyper-political thing on the forums before Trump got elected? Seems like that was the point everyone got really political about everything.

LF was insane as gently caress going back to Ron Paul, and I think the Secret Service got involved (or maybe it was Lowtax bullshit)?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

There's spine statistics that get drug out in spine court (I recently served on a spine court jury so I am an expert at spine court) and it's by 35, 30% of people have some sort of disc disease and by 60 90% have it. It's age related but since we aren't all hunched over Lowtaxes there's obviously some trick somewhere between don't let the corporate man reap your spine and don't treat your spine like it's job is to keep your fat rear end sitting up.

Standing desks need to be the de facto standard for everyone everywhere at all times

also regular office chairs should be regulated like cigarettes

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mad Hamish posted:

My position on avocado may be controversial but I stand by it.

:hmmno: Avocado is delicious, but its not the health panacea that its made out to be

also birds are dinosaurs

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Robobot posted:

If birds are dinosaurs then why don’t they have scales, chief?

Are scales what defines a dinosaur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mad Hamish posted:

Dinosaurs inspire a childlike sense of wonder and tbh even the fanciest of chickens is gonna have a hard time with that.