Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It comes around every 4 years and now is the time. It's leap year! A whole extra day in the year to gently caress off and get drunk and / or high!

Plus lots of retailers and fast food places are running 29% off deals for leap year. Even though those same fast food places have deals for half off all the time anyway, so what are they even doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Leap days were made to keep the years aligned to the seasons. It means so much to me who works and lives indoors all the time.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm gonna do 29% more loafing around the house today.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The Jewish calender also has leap years which are referred to as "Impregnated Years" שנים מעוברות.
This is a result from the calendar being based on the cycle of the moon which doesn't fully correspond to the solar cycle.
And of course it's nothing as simple as once every four years, we don't do anything the easy way.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

How do they make these threads without getting banned it's Bullshit

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

By popular demand posted:

The Jewish calender also has leap years which are referred to as "Impregnated Years" שנים מעוברות.
This is a result from the calendar being based on the cycle of the moon which doesn't fully correspond to the solar cycle.
And of course it's nothing as simple as once every four years, we don't do anything the easy way.

for contrast, the Roman calendar that preceded the Julian calendar was created each year by a group of priests employed by the government of Rome. They would decide when holidays would take place.

it gets more complicated from there, e.g., days and nights were exactly 12 hours apiece, so you'd have like 45 minute hours during the day in winter and 75 minute hours at night

During the civil war where Julius Caesar was establishing the preconditions for the empire, the calendar simply wasn't set for years for a number of reasons, so as Pontifex Maximus, Caesar created the Julian Calendar.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

whatcha got against leap years and/or bullshitting in gbs?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

local wendys is offering free cinnabon pull aparts no purchase necessary, AND i got a free breakfast sandwich coupon :banjo:

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
It's windy and raining outside. Going to do so much nothing all day. :peanut:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I'm going to see Ministry tonight. I actually don't know anything about them but they were a band my mother used to really like.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
You mom sounds cool.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Why would I get banned for posting a leap year thread?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
What happens to the kids that are born this day?

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
They leap

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Specifically General Bullshit.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Just lol if you weren't born in a leap year, you sick filth

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

credburn posted:

I'm going to see Ministry tonight. I actually don't know anything about them but they were a band my mother used to really like.

Oh hell yeah.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I've been staring at the calendar thinking, "You don't see this every year!"

Also, just chilling out because it's finally my drat birthday! :toot:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A whole extra day! There's so much I'm gonna do!!

I'll

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Dragonstoned posted:

I've been staring at the calendar thinking, "You don't see this every year!"

Also, just chilling out because it's finally my drat birthday! :toot:

Hey, happy birthday my dude.

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

I might jump, skip, hop, bound, or spring today but there aint no way youre catching me leaping. Get out of here with that crap

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm working a day more this month than last year for no extra pay this sucks.
Protesting by posting on the clock

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

2/29 should be a holiday.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

cumpantry posted:

local wendys is offering free cinnabon pull aparts no purchase necessary

they didnt have the drat things when i pulled in. if i was on the way to work i think that would've ruined my leap day completely

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

credburn posted:

Ministry is incredible depending on the album--first three are seriously back to back interesting as hell and quite varied. have fun

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

credburn posted:

This dudes gotta be pushing 60 by now but then again I saw Bad Religion a few years back and they were still rippin so have a good time op

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Rio Grande DUB is the best Ministry album, I listen to it at least once a week

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
dont sleep on da leap

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

cumpantry posted:

they didnt have the drat things when i pulled in. if i was on the way to work i think that would've ruined my leap day completely

next leap year they’ll not only not have them they’ll charge you $2.89 to tell you they’re out!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Leap day isn't real it was invented by the Romans to sell more months

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Chief McHeath posted:

next leap year they’ll not only not have them they’ll charge you $2.89 to tell you they’re out!

lmao.. i did actually go back and they did get them in, but they ran out of.. chicken biscuit, but they gave me a free drink which was nice. i sipped it and it was flat. this company plans on spending $20 to make new price surge menus

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

why did you make a new thread for this instead of bumping the one from 2020?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I shower and brush my teeth 365 days a year, no more

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

By popular demand posted:

It isn't as simple as once every four years for non-jews either. Years that are divisible by 100 that aren't also divisible by 400 are not leap years.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

why did you make a new thread for this instead of bumping the one from 2020?

4 years ago Covid lockdowns were really starting in earnest. Lines at the grocery stores, etc. Crazy.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

redshirt posted:

4 years ago Covid lockdowns were really starting in earnest. Lines at the grocery stores, etc. Crazy.

yup. hard to top that leap year. this leap year is really sad with no covid, basicallty no winter, etc.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

permabanned posters should be allowed to post only on leap days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

pissing on the grave of leap seconds on this fine leap day. looking towards a brighter future without that bullshit