Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

remember this dumb poo poo from the late 90s/early 2000s?

i remember telling my parents i NEEDED these cause all my friends had them. same with pokemon cards, tho those ended up being less of a fad. digimon and yugioh cards too which i basically havent seen since the 2000s also. the beans and bones seemed like it was really capitalizing on the TCG thing of artificial scarcity linked to some tradable/collectable item, ostensibly used in a game. i dont remember poo poo about the games that you were supposed to play with them lol. it was like marbles maybe? i guess mighty beans and crazy bones were more akin to pogs in that way but way lamer

my coworker brought up crazy bones cause i guess she found her "collection" when cleaning out her parents attic last weekend and asked if i thought they were worth anything lol. thought of mighty beans and all the other dumb fad poo poo from that era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i remember telling my parents i NEEDED these cause all my friends had them. same with pokemon cards, tho those ended up being less of a fad. digimon and yugioh cards too...

chasing clout your whole life

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
tazos were the most democratic because every child ate crisps

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Bad Purchase posted:

chasing clout your whole life

Lmao.

I had crazy bones. I was also one of the only nerds who knew how to actually play the Pokemon card game. I'd play with my dad :3:

Yugioh is still a thing with major tournaments and being known for the absolutely worst smelling players, beating out magic and Warhammer.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

For 80 dollars you can get these on eBay

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saalkin posted:

Lmao.

I had crazy bones. I was also one of the only nerds who knew how to actually play the Pokemon card game. I'd play with my dad :3:

Yugioh is still a thing with major tournaments and being known for the absolutely worst smelling players, beating out magic and Warhammer.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7188237060761783598 this poo poo makes me lose my mind every time lmfao

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I had a bunch of mighty beans back in the day and they were okay OP.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

weebles might not fall down but they can get tremendously ripped off, wow

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

My kid had some of each, especially crazy bones as a surge in popularity maybe 10 years ago

Dont forget Squinkies
https://www.squinkies.com/

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
These are nothing compared to Kinnikuman and Homies. NOTHING!

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
homies would have popped off here if we had them

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

remember this dumb poo poo from the late 90s/early 2000s?

i remember telling my parents i NEEDED these cause all my friends had them. same with pokemon cards, tho those ended up being less of a fad. digimon and yugioh cards too which i basically havent seen since the 2000s also. the beans and bones seemed like it was really capitalizing on the TCG thing of artificial scarcity linked to some tradable/collectable item, ostensibly used in a game. i dont remember poo poo about the games that you were supposed to play with them lol. it was like marbles maybe? i guess mighty beans and crazy bones were more akin to pogs in that way but way lamer

my coworker brought up crazy bones cause i guess she found her "collection" when cleaning out her parents attic last weekend and asked if i thought they were worth anything lol. thought of mighty beans and all the other dumb fad poo poo from that era

I had a few of those, op. But none of them compared to my

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Everything posted here is dumb garbage for idiots but I get it to a degree, it's mildly interesting to look at.

Funko pops otoh just seems like training wheels for serial killers.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

it was all about MICRO MACHINES for me and my mates

HELL YEAH

also the mega drive game had extra control ports ON THE FREAKING CART

HELL YEAH

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Stuff in OP is def. for young Millennials, along with Homies.

Us older Millennials had M.U.S.C.L.E. figurines, MicroMachines, POGS (at least those had a game behind it), and I guess just trying to get "the best" bouncy ball from the quarter machine.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Ville Valo posted:

:hellyeah: this is the real deal

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the guy who came up with homies is a super interesting case study of a human

great short documentary: https://video.vice.com/en_us/topic/homies-toys

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

:hmmyes: These and Garbage Pail Kid cards.

I had to move from a place I really liked when I was a kid and on the last day I went out into the woods I used to run around in and buried some M.U.S.C.L.E. figs. Not really sure why I did that, some kind of grief/goodbye/leaving a part of me ritual I guess.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Crazy Bones were huge when I was in the 4th grade. Everybody insisted that they were called "GoGos," though, which applied to like... two sets of them? They were completely forgotten within the span of a few months.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

those were jrotc times, op. childish things all set aside so as to be the hazer and not the hazee

fell for this fad back in the early 90s though

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Charlotte Hornets Starter jacket

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

As we said back in my day bro these bones be off the chain krazy as hell no cap on god fr fr im not even gonna lie to you bro bro these bones be fire bro

It was a simpler time

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
im a millenial and i dont remember any of this poo poo except micro machines, where the gently caress are the pogs

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Extra Large Marge posted:

Charlotte Hornets Starter jacket

In addition to Oakland raiders and Chicago bulls

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Junk posted:

im a millenial and i dont remember any of this poo poo except micro machines, where the gently caress are the pogs

Ah-hem:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Stuff in OP is def. for young Millennials, along with Homies.

Us older Millennials had M.U.S.C.L.E. figurines, MicroMachines, POGS (at least those had a game behind it), and I guess just trying to get "the best" bouncy ball from the quarter machine.

Also I saw this on IG the other day:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3qseW9PIit/

I'm trying to think of a modern equivalent... I guess, like, an R Kelly skin in Fortnite or something?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

kids today just dont understand

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I don't op what's it like being old

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

my kids dont ask for wacky dolls or japanamon cards or whatever. they want my credit card info to buy robux. we used to be a proper nation

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

I did not care for the bean

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

my kids dont ask for wacky dolls or japanamon cards or whatever. they want my credit card info to buy robux. we used to be a proper nation

hot cocoa to children: "But Roebuck's done sold his stake in the company long ago!"

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

don’t want your kids to be defaults. i hear that’s bad news

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
We do still have this kind of landfill fodder today with funkos. They're just entirely pop culture based so decades from now children will laugh at the fact that our generation made Hamilton collectibles.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Well I certainly never got caught up in those awful ways to sell plastic to children. I only had Lego when growing up and I was happy.

How high is this horse anyway.... i didn't bring a rope.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Shaquille O'Neal rookie card

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

These guys were kind of cool
It was a bad action figure plus a little rubber bouncy shell thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLABasuuGBQ

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

These things were prob the most materialistic I ever was in my life. I lusted for the Mighty Beans and Crazy Bones, but above all were the Homies collectibles from the quarter machines.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ville Valo posted:

Oh yeah I had a few of those fleshy dudes too lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ah-hem:

Also I saw this on IG the other day:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3qseW9PIit/

I'm trying to think of a modern equivalent... I guess, like, an R Kelly skin in Fortnite or something?

I had Dragonheart pogs lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey kids!

do you think homies are cool but you are too much of a white honky rear end honky to play with Latino figurines and not feel racist?

Try Palermos

Homies never had many machines in my area but Palermo’s did.