Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

On the other side of the quality spectrum it's nice to remember there are columnists out there who are good people https://inews.co.uk/opinion/lefties-fair-game-three-things-3009497

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Brussels proposes free movement deal for UK’s 18- to 30-year-olds

Will starmer shoot himself directly in the dick and balls and come out against this for fear of offending people who will never vote labour?

quote:

The European Commission has proposed opening negotiations with the UK to allow free movement enjoyed before Brexit to millions of 18 to 30 year olds in a major post Brexit concession.

It said it will now seek approval from individual EU leaders to start the talks which will see one of the most controversial elements of Brexit, a block on the right to live in each others countries visa free, partially eliminated.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

we need to lock menaces like this guy and rod liddle in some kind of illusory prison situation where they get to write as many articles as they like thinking people actually read them but are in fact completely insulated from the rest of the world

Shadowban them essentially? I’ll take that.

sinky posted:

Brussels proposes free movement deal for UK’s 18- to 30-year-olds

Will starmer shoot himself directly in the dick and balls and come out against this for fear of offending people who will never vote labour?

Starmer, mate, they’re not going to gently caress you.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That's one way to stop worrying about the youth vote I guess

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Extend it to under 60s so I can gently caress off elsewhere please.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
On the one hand, I believe in open borders and cultural exchange so I should support this.

On the other hand, Britain hosed off in a sulk, so why should their citizenry get any perks that aren't afforded to, say, Rwandans, just because of the historical ties? (And while.Britain is grim, I don't know if such a curtailment would really amount to collective punishment)

On the third mutant hand, Britain and Ireland can already do this anyway so I guess it makes no difference to me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean it's extending open movement to the group who overwhelmingly voted to remain, so it makes sense.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

But you're right that this is likely about Keeping Europe White more than anything.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Failed Imagineer posted:

On the third mutant hand

on the gripping hand

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

On the other hand, Britain hosed off in a sulk, so why should their citizenry get any perks that aren't afforded to, say, Rwandans, just because of the historical ties? (And while.Britain is grim, I don't know if such a curtailment would really amount to collective punishment)

only a slim majority of those who voted were for leaving the EU and most 18-30 year olds today were not old enough to vote in 2016

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I mean it's extending open movement to the group who overwhelmingly voted to remain, so it makes sense.

Provided you were under 22 at the time of the vote anyway.

escapegoat fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 18, 2024

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I support it if they extend the age range to my age and also keep increasing it with each of my birthdays

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Guavanaut posted:

Europeans care more about elephants than people, says Botswana president

Interesting thoughts from Mokgweetsi Masisi, and similar to what I thought a few years back when the Sun had a front page memorial about 'cecil' the lion while simultaneously presenting a few Black guys in a rubber boat as an existential threat.

Also

is a funny idea, if the climate keeps warming they could put them around Devon and Somerset as a natural control on holiday home owners.

really hits at the key matter though, and it's interesting that we're starting to see it more in papers outside of Africa, where it has been a talking point for years. Trophy hunting might be bad, but illegal poaching is worse, and you either get one or the other. Every country that just banned the hunting without replacement got massive increases in poaching and stable management of the elephant population became impossible.

There may be some way to thread the needle on this, but if countries are just unilaterally banning it then you're going to get people saying "cool, and you'll be replacing that revenue with what?" and if the answer, as it is from the Tories and from Germany, is just a bunch of tumbleweeds then people aren't going to be impressed. I think we can guess that from the Conservatives the answer is not going to be "increased foreign aid for environment and biodiversity".

Perhaps the same could be said about foxes and badgers? The conclusion here, as I see it, is that badger culling should be better monetised.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Seeing brexit voters fume about not being able to buy their spanish holiday home while the youth get freedom of movement would be very funny.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Still really crazy that the Tories decided to gently caress the country for the next half century over a referendum with a thinner majority than a Rizla.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
How about 18-30 at the time of the vote.

Or increasing it by one year every year so no one born after 1985 can ever become addicted to sovereignity.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Do not, my friends, become addicted to sovereignty. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

On the one hand, I believe in open borders and cultural exchange so I should support this.

On the third mutant hand, Britain and Ireland can already do this anyway so I guess it makes no difference to me.

I hope they do it because it sounds like a policy designed to brain-drain Britain of all its young talent which is exactly what this god forsaken island deserves

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

only a slim majority of those who voted were for leaving the EU and most 18-30 year olds today were not old enough to vote in 2016

That's specifically why I said the bit about collective punishment.

Why not poll Rwandans and see which demographics there would be pro-EU and give them selective access to the EU? Would be equally illogical.

Anyway, I've been totally convinced by the argument that it would boil the piss of Brexiteer pensioners being left out so yeah bring it on.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

crispix posted:

That can't be true, the Brexit vote was only... wait... *how* long ago?

loving hell.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Had anyone in this thread had experience of engaging a solicitor to purchase a property and then that solicitor being really loving slow at doing anything?

Seller is pissed and so am I and I dunno what I can do about it. I also don't really know if it's normal for them to be this goddamn slow.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Microplastics posted:

Had anyone in this thread had experience of engaging a solicitor to purchase a property and then that solicitor being really loving slow at doing anything?

Seller is pissed and so am I and I dunno what I can do about it. I also don't really know if it's normal for them to be this goddamn slow.

It's normal, can take a couple of weeks usually.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Microplastics posted:

Yeah they're loving slow.

You have to hound them every single day by email, phone, whatever, just be an absolute dickhead, especially if you have a solicitor that takes the piss (seems to be the case here)

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

turning up at their office and causing a scene is pretty effective in my experience

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Sadly we engaged them online so I can't turn up. But I can call them endlessly.

But thanks, sounds like hounding them is the way to go. It's been 3 months already

keep punching joe posted:

It's normal, can take a couple of weeks usually.

Lol i hate you

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Maybe its different in th English legal system, but the actual contract of sale takes ages to hammer out between solicitors because they have to do various checks, like that the seller actually owns the property etc.

Actually ours must have went through pretty fast because Google tells me its an average of 6 weeks to do the sale contract in Scotland.

lmao UK average is 12-16 weeks.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 18, 2024

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It's a new lease so some back and forth was expected, but it seems like we're going through a cycle:

1. Seller says: "wtf? Heard anything?"
2. I ask my solicitor for an update and hear nothing
3. A week or two later I get fed up and start calling them increasingly frequently
4. They eventually secrete some sort of response, and copy me in, with a pdf of an email they sent to the sellers solicitor on the same day, leaving me wondering what they spent the previous few weeks doing
5. Seller responds
6. time passes, go to 1

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

when I extended the lease on our old flat it took almost three years from handing over the money to getting the paperwork

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...re_iOSApp_Other

Another SNP arrest to get those vote numbers back down

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Zalakwe posted:

I generally think the SNP get far too easy a ride on here but without a proper alternative I reckon there will be swing back during an election campaign.

They look like a late stage administration but not as late stage as the Tory one and the election campaign will give Hamza a platform. Pretty much all he needs to do with it is look like a human being.

Yeah, like they're not perfect by any stretch, but they're the only ones who seem to actually give a poo poo about Scotland and the people in it as a whole.

Unlike the vacuous lot of the other parties who are so transparently in it for themselves, the power, and their turn on the cushy money siphoning systems in place for them and their mates.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Starbucks posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...re_iOSApp_Other

Another SNP arrest to get those vote numbers back down

Reminder that, the cops do monitor social media for stuff and will prosecute you if they catch you.

Police Scotland posted:

The matter remains active for the purposes of the Contempt of Court Act 1981 and the public are therefore advised to exercise caution if discussing it on social media.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Reminder that, the cops do monitor social media for stuff and will prosecute you if they catch you.

so free

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Potential Juror reading this forum: och aye the SNP are coonts? Fook me mun tha's surprisin.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Extend it to under 60s so I can gently caress off elsewhere please.

Extend it to over 60s who voted remain too please!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's specifically why I said the bit about collective punishment.

Why not poll Rwandans and see which demographics there would be pro-EU and give them selective access to the EU? Would be equally illogical.

Anyway, I've been totally convinced by the argument that it would boil the piss of Brexiteer pensioners being left out so yeah bring it on.

well Rwandans weren't in the EU to begin with and their institutions weren't meshed with the nations on the continent in the same way i suppose

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the gently caress is everything about rwanda these days :confused:

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

I think they mean the details of the case, not that the Polis timed it before the elections.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Microplastics posted:

yeah going on anecdotes and my own experience this and incompetence seem to be the norm

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Starbucks posted:

I think they mean the details of the case, not that the Polis timed it before the elections.

Oh yeah not aimed at you, but just a general don't discuss the case on social media any further than what the press publish or you could be liable for a fine and or prison sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Microplastics posted:

Nearly everyone I know. How long have you been waiting? (Just saw your post upthread about 3 months - that's nothing.... )

Because I am director of the freehold company (which all the flat owners belong to - we are our own freeholders) of the flats I live in, I have to get involved in every flat sale to fill in the 10/11 page waffle LPE1 for leaseholds for each flat, then answer divvie questions from various solicitors who have already been supplied with all the info but don't seem to read most of it. Even when there is no chain or mortgage involved, I've known it take over 4 months. Not least solicitors disappearing the day when completion is supposed to take place.

I was lucky when I bought this place, did it in 8 weeks and that's only because the seller bogged off on holiday for 2 weeks the day after I put the offer in, otherwise it would have been 6 weeks.

I did my own searches (I've got google for floods & planning permissions etc, and I was darn sure if there were any nefarious developments in the wind which hadn't had planning permissions applied for the local facebook nimbys would be on the case). That saved a LOT of time.

And after sale, flat next door sold and the buyer's solicitor has overpaid us (service charges for 2024) by £350 - no answer to emails etc as to whether they're going to try to claim it back or whether to put it towards next years s/charges for the buyer. Another flat sold a year ago and completed, but no money forthcoming from solicitor for the service charges & so on, so I phoned them up 'oh that doesn't matter, it's not important, we'll do it when we do it, not priority' - but the buyer had given them the money.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 18, 2024