Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

well Rwandans weren't in the EU to begin with and their institutions weren't meshed with the nations on the continent in the same way i suppose
They do run on a mixture of Belgian and German civil law rather than English common law though, so it might be easier to integrate them.

(This is because of the Berlin Conference of 1884)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

Potential Juror reading this forum: och aye the SNP are coonts? Fook me mun tha's surprisin.

You forgot to add "hoot mon, jings crivens, help ma boab, there's a moose loose aboot this hoose"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

You forgot to add "hoot mon, jings crivens, help ma boab, there's a moose loose aboot this hoose"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzBU56riS68

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
tartanface :nono:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's been over two decades since I last read a 40 year old copy of Oor Wullie at my grandparents in my defence.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

tartanface :nono:

Gingerface maybe. Both because of the number of redheads here & also our propensity for drinking ginger aka Irn Bru

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Tesseraction posted:

It's been over two decades since I last read a 40 year old copy of Oor Wullie at my grandparents in my defence.

McAuslan in the Rough

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

National anthem

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I'm not sure having the dregs of the worst political party in Westminster in charge indefinitely is an improvement.

If they don't hold elections then they can't replace MPs and eventually the government would just dissolve as they die of old age.

And then if we do a republic at the same time nobody will be able to unfuck it, it'll be great.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Microplastics posted:

Had anyone in this thread had experience of engaging a solicitor to purchase a property and then that solicitor being really loving slow at doing anything?

Seller is pissed and so am I and I dunno what I can do about it. I also don't really know if it's normal for them to be this goddamn slow.

I've bought and sold property on three occasions and yes, conveyancing solicitors are really loving slow.

Like, every stage in the process is not just slow, but bafflingly so and the solicitors are always extraordinarily poor at keeping you up to speed with what's going on and why. My advice is to take the longest possible time you could reasonably imagine that this could drag on for, double it, and your completion date will probably be a little longer than that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Europeans care more about elephants than people, says Botswana president

Interesting thoughts from Mokgweetsi Masisi, and similar to what I thought a few years back when the Sun had a front page memorial about 'cecil' the lion while simultaneously presenting a few Black guys in a rubber boat as an existential threat.

Also

is a funny idea, if the climate keeps warming they could put them around Devon and Somerset as a natural control on holiday home owners.

really hits at the key matter though, and it's interesting that we're starting to see it more in papers outside of Africa, where it has been a talking point for years. Trophy hunting might be bad, but illegal poaching is worse, and you either get one or the other. Every country that just banned the hunting without replacement got massive increases in poaching and stable management of the elephant population became impossible.

There may be some way to thread the needle on this, but if countries are just unilaterally banning it then you're going to get people saying "cool, and you'll be replacing that revenue with what?" and if the answer, as it is from the Tories and from Germany, is just a bunch of tumbleweeds then people aren't going to be impressed. I think we can guess that from the Conservatives the answer is not going to be "increased foreign aid for environment and biodiversity".

People should be allowed to hunt elephants but also people should be allowed to hunt people who go to africa to hunt elephants.

Not because I necessarily disagree with hunting elephants but because I think we should be allowed to hunt rich people generally and this seems like a fun way to do it.

I am also open to the option of fox hunters being hunted by people on elephants.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Thank you all.

The reason I'm so concerned is that the Seller's estate agents keep threatening to pull the offer, which made me think this was rare, but now I'm beginning to suspect it's a bluff to just get things moving. I mean, their sales progression team deals with solicitors all the time so they must encounter this a lot, right? Right???

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Microplastics posted:

Thank you all.

The reason I'm so concerned is that the Seller's estate agents keep threatening to pull the offer, which made me think this was rare, but now I'm beginning to suspect it's a bluff to just get things moving. I mean, their sales progression team deals with solicitors all the time so they must encounter this a lot, right? Right???

One thing I do now (on behalf of flat sellers here) is copy them in to every email I send to their solicitors or the other side's solicitors so they know that any queries arising have been dealt with by me - the rep of the freehold co - & so any holdups are due to solicitors not non-receipt of info from me. (And I use cc not bcc so the solicitors know the seller knows).

Also, unless you're in a real property hot spot, it's unlikely the offer will get pulled as if they have to go back on the market they're looking at a minimum of another 6 months.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

People should be allowed to hunt elephants but also people should be allowed to hunt people who go to africa to hunt elephants.

Not because I necessarily disagree with hunting elephants but because I think we should be allowed to hunt rich people generally and this seems like a fun way to do it.

I am also open to the option of fox hunters being hunted by people on elephants.

We have the technology for cheap drone cameras to follow our contestants around the jungle now. Get Craig Charles to host it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Also, unless you're in a real property hot spot, it's unlikely the offer will get pulled as if they have to go back on the market they're looking at a minimum of another 6 months.

Yeah. That's what I'm counting on.

The seller already had a previous sale fall through so I doubt they want to instigate another one and go through it all a third time.

But the seller is a company, which might change the calculations slightly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Microplastics posted:

The seller already had a previous sale fall through so I doubt they want to instigate another one and go through it all a third time.

Is it your solicitors holding things up? Which company is it? Premier Property Lawyers? Conveyancing Direct Property Lawyers? (Two online conveyancing firms I have had experience with)?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

If he sends the elephants then that may be a possibility. As long as they get the hats and masks.

Masisi has said that he would like to see alternative options, so he's open to ideas, but they have to be ones that balance traditional farming villages, 6 ton giant animals, and wildlife rangers/poacher prevention, and Britain and Germany both have past form in Southern Africa for "your way of life doesn't look like our farms so we're going to gently caress everything up because our way of land management just works everywhere" so it should probably be led by the communities there rather than whatever Lord Cameron wants to do with an elephant (which probably involves a stepladder and is illegal in Botswana).

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Microplastics posted:

Its going to be the same for the seller no matter what. With the conveyancing your solicitor, even if they are very efficient, they can only move at the speed of the other parties involved in the contract (local authorities etc.). If there is a backlog in the area that is holding up the sale then it wont be any different with another buyer.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 18, 2024

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Microplastics posted:

Had anyone in this thread had experience of engaging a solicitor to purchase a property and then that solicitor being really loving slow at doing anything?

Seller is pissed and so am I and I dunno what I can do about it. I also don't really know if it's normal for them to be this goddamn slow.

In my experience, and everyone I've talked to, there's no conveyancing solicitors that aren't slower than an elephant walking through a tar pit. I had a friend in the soliciters firm that handled my sale who I could nudge to go yell at our solicitor and it still took a while, they vanished occasionally, and once the sale was done basically evaporated.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean shooting them seems like a reasonable way to keep the population in check, same as with deer. I'm not generally keen on the idea of reintroducing wolves to hunt deer because I would personally rather be killed with a gun than a wolf and I extend that to deer also.

What normally hunts elephants? Or is it a case of "there would normally be more of them but they keep getting in the way of people"?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I worked for a bunch of insurance companies and with that had a bunch of legal departments and people move around a bunch and the industry means people move a bunch. Anyway, the preferred solicitor of the house building company was one where I knew a bunch so things ran pretty well as hit up a few people.

But when it comes to solicitors there is usually some information in the terms of business and an escalation point, stay to facts, ask if the timelines themselves are unrealistic for them to do the work and to get information on what the timescales for that work should be.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Miftan posted:

conveyancing solicitors .. slower than an elephant walking through a tar pit.

(selected bits of quote)

OwlFancier posted:

I mean shooting them seems like a reasonable way to keep the population in check

What normally hunts elephants?

(selected bits of quote)

Reading those two posts next to each other gave me a laugh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

What normally hunts elephants? Or is it a case of "there would normally be more of them but they keep getting in the way of people"?
Lions and crocodiles sometimes go for them when they're small, but when they're 5 tons basically nothing.

These kind of well meaning but without consultation schemes always put me in mind of the Tanganyika Groundnut Scheme, which is a perfect example of the British Empire that it should probably be taught in schools, it was neither mustache twirling evil for evil's sake nor anywhere near as clever and enlightened as it thought it was, and by assuming that whatever they wanted to do was a good idea and whatever the locals kept warning them about must be trivial, their arrogant self-confidence and racial biases made one of the greatest wastes of everyone's time, money, and livelihood of the era.

Getting strong vibes of that from the "did anyone actually talk to the elephant countries?"

(And yeah there should be a lot more elephants, but the worst places for that are the ones that banned all hunting, ran out of money for rangers, and the local perception went from "our great proud beasts" to "those big bastards that trampled all my crops again" and people just invited poachers in.)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah it's super loving painful trying to get any action out of conveyancing solicitors and in general the house buying/selling process in the UK is a huge pain in the arse.

Bought a house in Canada and things were better, in that when you make an offer and it is accepted by the seller, at that point, you sign a legally binding contract and if the sale falls through then the person who made it fall through is liable to be sued for consequential loss etc. etc. so it means that sales typically go through once an offer is accepted. Offers can be conditional on e.g. a survey/inspection or conditional on financing etc. but in practice these days they're not. You get that stuff done before making the offer. Solicitors still reasonably slow, though.

Bad thing is that estate agents here ("realtors") take a total of typically ~4.5% from a sale. There's a "seller's agent" who takes photos, creates the listing etc. and then collects offers, presents them to the seller, and a "buyer's agent" which is who you talk to as a buyer, then they go through listings with you and show you around the properties, and each of those agents takes a 2-2.5% cut, which is loving madness. Might have been alright 20 years ago when an average home was $150k, but now it's $~700k (£408k) lol.

It's admittedly a slightly better experience as a buyer having one guy showing you around all the houses but loving hell do you pay for it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Man Holyrood just looks so much nicer on TV than Westminster. Westminster must stink of centuries of foie gras fart

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

You can if you want sell your house by yourself and avoid agent fees, but you get excluded from a lot of the tools the middlemen have developed that gives a property visibility in the marketplace.

I'm going to solve this for myself by staying in my current place until I die.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Failed Imagineer posted:

Man Holyrood just looks so much nicer on TV than Westminster. Westminster must stink of centuries of foie gras fart

From the articles I've read about the state of the place, I imagine it smells of toilets and damp.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

WhatEvil posted:

Bought a house in Canada and things were better, in that when you make an offer and it is accepted by the seller, at that point, you sign a legally binding contract and if the sale falls through then the person who made it fall through is liable to be sued for consequential loss etc. etc. so it means that sales typically go through once an offer is accepted.

This one thing that I'd love to see in the UK. The most infuriating part of the whole process for me has always been when the other party flakes out halfway through the transaction. Who the gently caress treats a property sale like it's a pair of jeans that on reflection you think don't quite suit you and returns them to the shop?? Aaargh!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yeah when we bought a place (in canada) even if there’s an issue you can put in an offer on “contingency” which generally means that barring a refusal to deal with issues the deal will go through if it’s originally accepted

ultimately we toured a house the day it went on market, offered, it was accepted that night, we closed soon after (we had secured funding ahead of time which not everyone does; often offers are contingent on financing approval, or were before the current crisis) and moved in a couple weeks later

admittedly that’s considered very fast for here too

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Beat this: flat put on market 7pm Friday night, cash deposit in my hand 9pm Friday night, full amount (approx £60k) in cash in my bank midday on the Monday. Would have been a day earlier had the banks been open on a Saturday.
Not the UK.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Beat this: flat put on market 7pm Friday night, cash deposit in my hand 9pm Friday night, full amount (approx £60k) in cash in my bank midday on the Monday. Would have been a day earlier had the banks been open on a Saturday.
Not the UK.

hell yeah

jaeluni asjil for pm

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pistol_Pete posted:

This one thing that I'd love to see in the UK. The most infuriating part of the whole process for me has always been when the other party flakes out halfway through the transaction. Who the gently caress treats a property sale like it's a pair of jeans that on reflection you think don't quite suit you and returns them to the shop?? Aaargh!

I mean, it is the most important purchase of your life. You'd assume that people being able to back out even up to the 11th hour would be good for that.

I suppose I am in the fortunate position in that my dad is a chartered surveyor and is likely to be coming up to help us look at houses if/when we are looking to buy.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 18, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Liz is the :lol: that keeps on giving
https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1781002593130414233

quote:

Exc: Liz Truss broke Whitehall rules by publishing her new book without agreement from the Cabinet Office.

Former ministers are meant to abide by the 'Radcliffe Rules', requiring them to hand over a pre-publication copy of their memoir for vetting.

Truss gave the Cabinet Office a copy "in good time", sources tell me. But officials did not clear her revealing details of private conversations - including with the late Queen in September 2022.

A source close to Truss tells me the govt confirmed she had "complied with all the rules regarding national security and relations with foreign governments". But they add: "She wanted to ensure that the truth was told about the mini budget and the role of officials and the Bank of England. She believes this is in the public interest.”

A Cabinet Office spokesperson says: "We did not agree to the final wording. So the author is in breach of the Radcliffe Rules."

Story to follow...
:allears:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

In other news, renationalisation good. Taking on their debt, bad
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1781016090954346654

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

mediaphage posted:

hell yeah

jaeluni asjil for pm

Couldn't be worse than this rotten lot.

And on the property buying front - with the wonders of modern technology, searches could be done for each property and kept on a central database and automatically updated.

I have seen one of the flats here change hands a couple of times in a couple of years (due to new buyer having to move into permanent care so having to sell up soon after buying), same solicitors, charging all over again for searches that will hardly have changed in 6 months. Me supplying over & over again to the **same solicitors** (people tend to use the same 2-3 firms of solicitors round here) the same memorandum & articles of association, last 3 years published accounts at Companies House, asbestos survey etc etc, all being charged again and again. It's a complete racket.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 18, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/londoners-diary/the-17-weirdest-lines-in-liz-trusss-book-ten-years-to-save-the-west-b1152021.html

can't really top (hoho) the first one tbh

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

quote:

17. Liz on herself
“I see myself as an instinctively anti-establishment figure... I am, after all, a contrarian.”

Okay, what's her username?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm very anti-establishment which is why I became the conservative prime minister of the united kingdom.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I can't believe just how bad it looks. Brexit debates also showed there isn't enough room for all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OwlFancier posted:

I'm very anti-establishment which is why I became the conservative prime minister of the united kingdom.

That's why she stopped being one so quickly.