Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

Had to explain this to the yanks who only know the term gooning as in having a wank https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1783142125770592533

lmao they've changed the headline cause people were laughing at them https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/apr/24/anne-hathaway-gooner-arsenal-fc

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Cease and desist from Anne Hathaways legal team

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tesseraction posted:

Had to explain this to the yanks who only know the term gooning as in having a wank https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1783142125770592533

I had hoped they would reveal that she secretly had been posting on the Forums.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yeah but we all tuned in to the finale of The Secret Gooner to find out who was in the (by that point absolutely disgusting) bee costume.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol finally a Piers Moron clip worth watching https://twitter.com/notthatchloe/status/1783224349228499447

who is this little oval office with the pink hair here?

e: apparently it's James Barr

me neither

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That angry guy is Hasan Piker right?

This clip is way too devoid of context to be a good watch, even if it didn't have Piers Morgan in it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

That angry guy is Hasan Piker right?

This clip is way too devoid of context to be a good watch, even if it didn't have Piers Morgan in it

I guess it does need context but Hasan is the only pro-Palestine voice, Moron and the woman on the other side of Hasan are pro-Israel and the guy on the right is a boths-sides wanker

no idea about the black lady

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1783247259439636709

I don't particularly believe them at this point, but hey. A positive statement of intent.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's a shame to learn later this week that Louise Haigh is antisemitic.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Place your bets on when Keith will announce renationalisation is not in the country’s best interest and he has no plans to do it. Before the month is out I reckon.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Tesseraction posted:

lol finally a Piers Moron clip worth watching https://twitter.com/notthatchloe/status/1783224349228499447

who is this little oval office with the pink hair here?

e: apparently it's James Barr

me neither

james is a cool dude on the comedy circuit who also does the 'a gay and a nongay' podcast

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Lol why are they even bothering at this point. No one actually believes that they want anything even slightly good, let along something actually good like renationalising rail.

Why don't they try pledging to make drinking water less than 50% human poo poo by volume for a start.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

MeinPanzer posted:

Why don't they try pledging to make drinking water less than 50% human poo poo by volume for a start.
sorry, not realistic thanks to how badly the Tories wrecked the economy!! we are launching an exciting AI-powered therapy app to help convince you that drinking shitwater isn’t so bad, though

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Had a Labour local election guy knock on the door today. I told him I didn't care if houses were built on the green belt, that people need houses to live in, and he did not seem to know how to respond to that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TACD posted:

Place your bets on when Keith will announce renationalisation is not in the country’s best interest and he has no plans to do it. Before the month is out I reckon.

Every other promise like this has been reversed within a week, and sometimes within 24 hours.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sebzilla posted:

I don't particularly believe them at this point, but hey. A positive statement of intent.

This is probably one of 3 things:
1) A test balloon to see how the Torygraph respond to this most heinous of suggestions - cue them back-tracking at the start of next week after the Sunday editorials are in;
2) A shadow cabinet minister going a bit rogue in the hope that it'll get some traction - cue her getting fired by the end of the week; or
3) Labour having a bit of a panic as they realise most voters to the left of Thatcher don't plan on voting for them, and proposing a policy that'll be easy enough to ignore later on

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤

kingturnip posted:

Labour having a bit of a panic as they realise most voters to the left of Thatcher don't plan on voting for them, and proposing a policy that'll be easy enough to ignore later on

shaking off the fleas

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Actually I just realised that nationalising some train companies is something this Tory government had to loving do because of how utterly shite privatisation has been, so really Labour are technically nicking a Tory policy in this instance.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
You have to renationalise with them when they fail. Then you privatise them again obviously.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1783247259439636709

The U-turn in the next 24 hours will be funny when some wanker decides that what the people really want is more austerity

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The media framing of the US demonstrations as: "Urgent concerns about rise of anti-Semitism on campuses as students protest mass murder" is really messing with my perceptions of reality today.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

The media framing of the US demonstrations as: "Urgent concerns about rise of anti-Semitism on campuses as students protest mass murder" is really messing with my perceptions of reality today.

UK media breathlessly reporting on demonstrations in other countries (well, mostly the USA) while ignoring demonstrations that happen in the UK is also classic UK media.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
that labour rail policy is the same policy currently being very slowly enacted by the Tories. they were a bit cuter about it being a "nationalisation" as it functionally was, but then the operations done on management contracts, not unlike TfL bus franchising

Scotrail/Network Rail Scotland already work under an arrangement similar to what's being proposed (in theory) by Labour, same as Transport for Wales, though not as deep an alliance.

the real headline is not committing to taking back rolling stock as this is the biggest cost leakage

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Invoking the Dark Lord Beelzebub to complain about the woke not liking some dogshit 50 year old sitcom seems a tad over the top, even for the Mail

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

:hai:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well if you're offering

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

In the 1970s i would have died for Felicity Kendal.... and probably for Penelope Keith as well. :D

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Invoking the Dark Lord Beelzebub to complain about the woke not liking some dogshit 50 year old sitcom seems a tad over the top, even for the Mail

For those concerned about missing out on your beloved 70's sitcom (of which 90%+ ran in the 80's) the extent of the cancelling is... all episodes are still available on ITVX premium, but you're informed that it uses 'discriminatory language of the period'

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The author helpfully imagines a reason for the woke mob to cancel it, and then gets mad about it.

quote:

I think the problem is that here we had a white middle-aged man married to a white middle-aged woman, with an off-screen grown-up daughter called Wendy. The blatant heterosexual normality is what gets the woke goat, now we are not meant to differentiate between males, females, and various pronouns.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Pistol_Pete posted:

I really think that 07/10 and its aftermath has been rapidly driving an even larger wedge in the perception of reality between those under 40 and those over 40. Mainstream media sources often sound absolutely unhinged to anyone with even a basic understanding of the situation in Gaza and access to social media, but boomers are gobbling this coverage right up with minimal critical analysis.

The campus protest stuff is all the more ironic since the US news media class behind all of this coverage were themselves involved in or mythologised the bravery of the late ‘60s anti-Vietnam War protests on campuses that were violently attacked by the state. But, of course, that was righteous protesting for a better world, while this is just deranged woke youths taking things too far…

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
2029: Labour have finally taken all rail into public ownership, National Rail is now WokeRail. All signallers are now virtue signallers.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Yesterday. Bloodied Horses running through London. Today the sails of the Moulin Rouge have fallen off in Paris. What omens can we expect next?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MeinPanzer posted:

those over 40 […] boomers
I have bad news for you about what’s happening to millennials right now

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Soricidus posted:

Ow, my lower back!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Soricidus posted:

The oldest millennials are 43 right now, so let's say everyone under 43. And there's a gen X grey area in between where people's ideas are less fixed. But thanks for the pedantry I guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm less sure that there is a hard line with millenials too tbh. On a population level people still get a lot less cool as they age.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

WaffleACAB posted:

2029: Labour have finally taken all rail into public ownership, National Rail is now WokeRail. All signallers are now virtue signallers.

I bet Great British Rail will have an improperly coloured flag on it somewhere.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

MeinPanzer posted:

Mainstream media sources often sound absolutely unhinged to anyone with even a basic understanding of the situation in Gaza and access to social media, but boomers are gobbling this coverage right up with minimal critical analysis.

Yeah, this is exactly where my thoughts were. I try to avoid discussing current events with my wife because of this! She very much takes the mainstream media at face value, so where I see deliberately disingenuous, bloodthirsty ghouls pushing a specific dishonest narrative, she sees sensible grownups talking common sense and doing their best to make sure that the public's well informed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
(I avoid talking about landlords with her for similar reasons.)