Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

A mere 8 years after Trump first got elected The King swings in with a sizzling hot take…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

Yesterday. Bloodied Horses running through London. Today the sails of the Moulin Rouge have fallen off in Paris. What omens can we expect next?

hoping it's something involving the cerne abbas giant next :flaccid:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Coming soon to the Pistol Pete household: Honey, I Woked the Kids!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm just gonna assume he's writing about Starmer

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

A mere 8 years after Trump first got elected The King swings in with a sizzling hot take…

Who's the real king got in mind?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
It's all the more bitterly ironic because the people consuming this MSM coverage of Gaza as if it's the gospel truth are also those who often get most anxious or angry about Russian disinformation campaigns but hardly seem concerned about the countless examples of pure bullshit hasbara bring breathlessly repeated by the BBC, NYT, Guardian, etc. and then quietly ignored when criticized by everyone who isn't just reprinting IDF press releases.

Case in point: the obvious attempts to shut down UNRWA with accusations that are still yet to be substantiated (https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...bf-7dffd6980000).

It's also funny that this same media class has been trying halfheartedly to use the disinformation line against critics of Israel by claiming that TikTok is pushing Russian or Chinese disinformation on Gaza but seems to have largely given that up now because Israel is just so blatant that they can't hide it any more.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Can't say I was expecting the Scottish coalition to collapse this morning. I for one am shocked etc that the SNP seem to be heading to the right.

I expect a bit of pantomime is involved here as not only can the Greens make the extremely valid moral point re. the ditching of carbonation targets but they can also better position themselves for next year's election.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Zalakwe posted:

Can't say I was expecting the Scottish coalition to collapse this morning. I for one am shocked etc that the SNP seem to be heading to the right.

I expect a bit of pantomime is involved here as not only can the Greens make the extremely valid moral point re. the ditching of carbonation targets but they can also better position themselves for next year's election.

Can they though? This was the nearest they had to power, it's extremely unlikely they'll be in this position again.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I think I might get the sack today :toot:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm furiously penning an article titled "Are the Greens About to Become the Lib Dems of Scotland?" and shoving it through the Grauniad's office mail slot

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Conflict or bankruptcy?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

keep punching joe posted:

I think posting on here is a protected characteristic.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

Communist Bear posted:

Can they though? This was the nearest they had to power, it's extremely unlikely they'll be in this position again.
Depends on how some SNP voters react to this, some of them could be reacting to their recent gammonite shift with disgust and move to a better party like the greens or the SSP (if they still exist)

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I remember when it was my turn to hold the sack, precious memories

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

smellmycheese posted:

Yesterday. Bloodied Horses running through London. Today the sails of the Moulin Rouge have fallen off in Paris. What omens can we expect next?

Ah….

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Tesseraction posted:

Conflict or bankruptcy?

Nothing so dramatic just capitalism.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah, it was the economy, stupid.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Communist Bear posted:

It depends whether you regard politics as a game to be won or a means to represent what you believe. I personally think it's very, very hard for them to stay part of a government that is essentially shrugging its shoulders on climate targets. Not sure their leadership agreed, although that may be performative, but their membership seems to think so.

I anticipate them picking up more of the left's vote at the election on the back of this but lots of wheels still in spin. They could just implode. It's likely being part of the SNP Government won't go down that well at the next election so it depends if they can distance themselves from that gracefully.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

I'm less sure that there is a hard line with millenials too tbh. On a population level people still get a lot less cool as they age.

Ha I was already uncool at 20 they can't get me now :smug:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, this is exactly where my thoughts were. I try to avoid discussing current events with my wife because of this! She very much takes the mainstream media at face value, so where I see deliberately disingenuous, bloodthirsty ghouls pushing a specific dishonest narrative, she sees sensible grownups talking common sense and doing their best to make sure that the public's well informed.

I don't think I could be in a relationship where I had to avoid current affairs. Which is probably an unhealthy reflection on me but :shrug:

Zalakwe posted:

Aye, it was very abrupt considering I saw in yesterday's National (or maybe Tuesdays? I don't know, the days merge into one another) that Humza was just saying that there's no need for a vote from members on continuing the Agreement because he was just elected on a platform of keeping it.

Very disappointed to see the SNP leadership bowing to a fringe of loonie conservatives from my neck of the woods.

Belter of a statement from Lorna Slater though: "This is an act of political cowardice by the SNP, who are selling out future generations to appease the most reactionary forces in the country," she said.

“Voters deserve better, Scotland deserves better. Scottish Green voters certainly deserve better.

"They have broken the bonds of trust with members of both parties who have twice chosen the co-operation agreement and climate action over chaos, culture wars and division. They have betrayed the electorate.

"And by ending the agreement in such a weak and thoroughly hopeless way, Humza Yousaf has signalled that when it comes to political cooperation, he can no longer be trusted."

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
The SNP epitomises why big tent politics is a farce. some of the people in the tent with you are either Tory nutters, homophobic scum, or both

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MeinPanzer posted:

I really think that 07/10 and its aftermath has been rapidly driving an even larger wedge in the perception of reality between those under 40 and those over 40. Mainstream media sources often sound absolutely unhinged to anyone with even a basic understanding of the situation in Gaza and access to social media, but boomers are gobbling this coverage right up with minimal critical analysis.
US might be different, but I think most over 40s here just groan and say "why are we focusing on this poo poo again when it's nothing to do with us and we have problems at home" whenever I P on the news.

Going to add "why are we spending all out time on some tourist trap on the eastern Med while abandoning Are Commonwealth Alloys in Belize and Guyana to foreign aggression" to my list of hot takes to level at potential Tory and Labour canvassers.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
oh wow groggily waking up too late today i skimmed people talking about it and thought the green membership must have had the upcoming vote on the agreement last night and i somehow missed hearing about it. but no it's the SNP throwing out their toys at the suggestion they might have to modify their policies to satisfy the people they're cooperating with. truly the stupidest way for this to go

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://x.com/scottishgreens/status/1783425288124133501

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

dadrips posted:

The SNP epitomises why big tent politics is a farce. some of the people in the tent with you are either Tory nutters, homophobic scum, or both

Why make the distinction?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Going back to being the Tartan Tories I see

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Laurence Fox is trending again. I guess it's to do with this:
https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1783394461319348292

quote:

Today at 2pm the costs order following the libel judgement is handed down. I’ll have sight of it an hour before.

I prefer to call it the bullies charter rather than a judgement and I disagree with the result profoundly. The judge found that because I engage is discussions about controversial issues then it is fair game to call me racist, whilst at the same time not defining what a racist is, which seems entirely illogical. If the same logic is applied fairly then calling someone who angle grinds on a metal codpiece in front of children would seem to carry the same stipulation.

She also found that the two men suffered serious harm, despite the fact that everyone on the other side of this trial has been promoted since. Go figure.

A large part of me wants to walk away and forget about it but I’m not going to. We think the judge was wrong, and when we have appealed decisions during this process in the past, we have won. The court of appeal ruled that my response to Nicola Thorp was rhetorical and threw her case out. Why they didn’t do the same with the others is anyone’s guess.

It is my hope that we succeed on appeal, despite a worrying sense that the justice may not be as blind as we’ve been led to believe. The process has been punishment enough.

It cannot be right that society rewards those who throw the first punch in a fight. It can also not be right that once punched, one is denied a reply to attack. I was called a racist and I responded rhetorically with an equally slanderous and untrue attack, to make the point that these allegations have very damaging effects on one’s life. My acting career ended the day after the three claimants called me a racist.

We had to go back to court many times to get them to disclose messages between them when they were making light about what they were going to do to me. This evidence, along with the vast majority of my trial evidence was ignored by the judge and is absent from her judgement. I have read the transcript from the entire 8 days. Twice.

I don’t know what the judge will award these people. But the costs of these proceedings are enormous. So a whopper of a cheque is getting written in the next few days.

I don’t feel sorry for myself at all. I am happy to stand up against woke bullies who hate those they disagree with so much that they will try and destroy your life.

This case is much the same. We are left where the legal position in this country is now that the word racist means nothing. Many times we have asked a judge to define it and every time they have refused. Racist is an important word and we all know what it means.

I know my heart and I know that I don’t care what colour skin someone has. I do however care about what they think, and I will continue to challenge terrible ideas like Critical Race Theory and Gender ideology, which is what I was doing in response to Sainsbury’s offering safe spaces to black employees as part of their desperate bid to jump on the George Floyd bandwagon.

We will ask to appeal today and the judge will deny us, because she is the judge who wrote the judgement, so it wouldn’t make sense for her to accept an appeal.

We then have 21 days to appeal to the court of appeal, which we will do and as I said earlier, seek to right what seems to us to be a serious wrong.

I am lucky. I have a platform I can use to discuss issues which concern lots of people, which others won’t go near. But every day in this country people are losing their jobs from false allegations made by vexatious parties. I will continue to fight for them and for the truth.

Words matter. And this judgement just killed one of the most important in our language, at the same time providing cover for actual racists. I can’t lie down and let that happen, so I must fight on.

We are seeing the courts used maliciously across the west and that is a very concerning trend.

So enjoy the victory guys and I hope it is short lived!

:allears:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hope he insults the judge and does a parody of a Zulu dance in court again, it works so well for his case.

quote:

We are left where the legal position in this country is now that the word racist means nothing. Many times we have asked a judge to define it and every time they have refused. Racist is an important word and we all know what it means.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

I don’t feel sorry for myself at all.

Well u probably should

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Angle grinding on a metal codpiece ??? What the gently caress is he on lol

Edit: other than cocaine obv

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Laurence Fox is trending again. I guess it's to do with this:
https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1783394461319348292

:allears:

Does anyone else hear One Winged Angel?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Angle grinding on a metal codpiece ??? What the gently caress is he on lol

Edit: other than cocaine obv
Dredging up old bullshit from the Daily Mail and Libs of TikTok for want of anything better to do with his life.

https://twitter.com/crystalwillseeu/status/1680988499300720644

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The daily mail is just mad that the little girls aren't in fishnets.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'm curious about the fact that the Scottish Government is now a minority administration, with 63 MPs, 2 short of a majority. So they obviously can't automatically pass confidence & supply votes. The next election isn't due until 7 May 2026, & we've never actually had an election outside of the cycle, originally every 4 years & now every 5. Apparently parliament can either be dissolved by a vote of 2/3rds of MSPs, or more likely, if a vote of confidence fails there's 28 days to appoint a new First Minister. And if the Greens aren't working with the Nats, & Alba only have 1 MSP, & the 3 Yoon parties only amount to 57 MSPs combined, so the only viable option would be the Nats working with one of the Yoon parties, & it won't be Labour because there is way too much enmity & fighting over the same voters. And it's hard to imagine it being the Tories, & honestly using the Lib Dems to prop up the government would not be popular.

So there'd be an extraordinary election. But (& this is the bit that surprised me) according to the Scotland Act that would only sit until May 2026 before another election, which really seems a bit wasteful really. But the act states that unless an Extraordinary Election is held within 6 months of when an ordinary election is due then they'll hold another ordinary election on the pre-scheduled date.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

I'm curious about the fact that the Scottish Government is now a minority administration, with 63 MPs, 2 short of a majority. So they obviously can't automatically pass confidence & supply votes. The next election isn't due until 7 May 2026, & we've never actually had an election outside of the cycle, originally every 4 years & now every 5. Apparently parliament can either be dissolved by a vote of 2/3rds of MSPs, or more likely, if a vote of confidence fails there's 28 days to appoint a new First Minister. And if the Greens aren't working with the Nats, & Alba only have 1 MSP, & the 3 Yoon parties only amount to 57 MSPs combined, so the only viable option would be the Nats working with one of the Yoon parties, & it won't be Labour because there is way too much enmity & fighting over the same voters. And it's hard to imagine it being the Tories, & honestly using the Lib Dems to prop up the government would not be popular.

So there'd be an extraordinary election. But (& this is the bit that surprised me) according to the Scotland Act that would only sit until May 2026 before another election, which really seems a bit wasteful really. But the act states that unless an Extraordinary Election is held within 6 months of when an ordinary election is due then they'll hold another ordinary election on the pre-scheduled date.

The SNP has survived as a minority administration before, for confidence and supply, don't they only need for a few MSPs to agree to abstain?

Regardless, given that Yousaf is already First Minister I think they technically only need one MSP to vote with them, since there's 129 seats but one is the presiding officer, that leaves 128 and so the SNP's 63 plus one would be a tie. If the Scottish parliament works like the westminster on ties, the speaker/presiding officer would be expected to break the tie in favour of the status quo, which would be the government remaining in office.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wasteful it may be, but it sounds a lot better than "every when we feel like it or things have gone totally to poo poo or our polling geniuses say we can use it to our advantage."

New pronunciation just dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAek63Gfxhw

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Reveilled posted:

The SNP has survived as a minority administration before, for confidence and supply, don't they only need for a few MSPs to agree to abstain?

Regardless, given that Yousaf is already First Minister I think they technically only need one MSP to vote with them, since there's 129 seats but one is the presiding officer, that leaves 128 and so the SNP's 63 plus one would be a tie. If the Scottish parliament works like the westminster on ties, the speaker/presiding officer would be expected to break the tie in favour of the status quo, which would be the government remaining in office.

Because of this maths and the fact that Labour and Tories will get performative about coordination I think it very unlikely that the Scottish Government will collapse. I do expect them to struggle to get anything even mildly controversial done though. There's going to be a lot of procedural jiggery pokery.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Wasteful it may be, but it sounds a lot better than "every when we feel like it or things have gone totally to poo poo or our polling geniuses say we can use it to our advantage."

New pronunciation just dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAek63Gfxhw

Only registered members can see post attachments!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Yes, they have survived as a minority administration before. But in 2007-11 they only held on because of an agreement with the Greens, & the Libs & Tories abstaining on the vote for First Minister. And after that by working more closely with Annabel Goldie's Tories than they'd like us to remember in order to get budgets through. The 2016-21 Sturgeon minority was also propped up by a working agreement with the Greens. Now they've alienated the Greens. As for the Presiding Officer, maybe I've missed something but I've just skimmed through the Scotland Act & don't actually see anything that mentions when the Presiding Officer can vote. And all that there is on the job's Wikipedia entry is this line "the convention is that when the presiding officer uses their tie-breaking vote, they do so in favour of advancing debate, but on final ballots, retaining the status quo." But also it's unsourced. I hate government by convention. But anyway, based on that line, yes, if the Yousaf gets Ash Regan on-side then the government should limp on. But it was worth considering at least.

It's certainly not outwith the realm of possibility that Alex Salmond still has a grudge to bear & also fancies Alba's chances at a snap election (I have no idea why he would, but then I have no idea why Alba exists so :shrug: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Alba exists cause the SNP weren't terfy enough