Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
We can't let Liz Truss keep getting away with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

UK monarch sucked me off???

This is no substitute for Western evidence-based medicine

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
shittest king ever?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

A Spaniard who said that in thanks for the British media letting Spain know that their current king/queen are separated even though the national media won't touch that story
So will the Pope refuse a divorce until Felipe does a Henry ⅛?

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I had assumed he was going to die of it, just because he seems like the type to steve jobs himself.
Who's Woz in this analogy?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tai posted:

Please don't do this.

Sorry, this isn't the thread for it, didn't mean to come off all snarky.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gort posted:

We can't let Liz Truss keep getting away with it

You can and you will.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ah cool, we're back at the "Ukraine should lay down their arms and surrender to Russia because killing Russians is what the Great Satan America wants" stage of the discussion

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

shittest king ever?
Leopold II, probably followed by Rudolf II. Wilhelm II for forgetting to renew at least one of the bilateral treaties with Russia and/or France is up there too.

I think any king with a II is a bad sign, means they already had at least one king and then repeated their error.

The other two Charleses were pretty poo poo too, one lost parliament and tried to genocide a whole city and the other invented the English slave trade.

King Koopa was pretty bad too.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Dabir posted:

Ah cool, we're back at the "Ukraine should lay down their arms and surrender to Russia because killing Russians is what the Great Satan America wants" stage of the discussion

seems to me like people were saying that if continuing the war is so popular in ukraine they shouldn't need to be deporting people who fled the war back to the country to fight in it?

ukraine's goverment ultimately gets to decide if they surrender or not but ukraine can't hold elections due to the state of emergency, so it's not like they have any say in any of this.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
There's always gonna be dissenters though, finland probably had dissenters when the soviet union invaded in 1939.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
A country with conscription is obviously going to enforce that, for better or worse. I don’t know a single Ukrainian who wants Ukraine to just surrender, and I know quite a few, some of whom are currently fighting.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
If anyone didn't get to see it who wants to it's on youtube now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXvaWz4gpTc

It's probably speaking to the converted (mostly) on here.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Best king clearly James VI, you might have heard of him, he wrote The Bible.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i'm sure it's probably a decent watch if i want to feel reinfuriated by everything but "come watch the film the establishment doesn't want you to see" is the kind of tagline a lot of crank bullshit tends to slap on itself

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He also probably hosed the most men of any king. Directly, as in. With his wang.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jakabite posted:

A country with conscription is obviously going to enforce that, for better or worse. I don’t know a single Ukrainian who wants Ukraine to just surrender, and I know quite a few, some of whom are currently fighting.

Yes, but conscription is a bad thing. People should not be expected to fight for a country by virtue of being born in it. This came up last time I think when Ukraine introduced conscription and I was surprised by the number of people who didn't think it was objectionable, especially as that exact same rationale can be used to argue that refugees from all over the world should not be accepted if they are capable of fighting in the wars they are fleeing.

It is fundamentally the "military age men" canard in a new guise. If people do not want to go to war for a country they should not have to, and other countries alleging to have humanitarian concerns should not be forcing them to.

If anything, being forcibly conscripted should be grounds for asylum by itself. The state is literally going to try and get you killed if you return!

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 26, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i'm sure it's probably a decent watch if i want to feel reinfuriated by everything but "come watch the film the establishment doesn't want you to see" is the kind of tagline a lot of crank bullshit tends to slap on itself

Yeah I'm not going to watch it. Someone I know did watch it and said there's nothing new in it for those who have been 'tuned in' as it were for the past few years.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I definitely won't be watching either. I couldn't watch "I, Daniel Blake" for similar reasons. My mental health can only take so much...

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Like, if uou are president of Ukraine in 2022 and the Russians are invading, and half the country is under attack and you're not sure if Kyiv will hold, "do I sign a bad peace to save my people a pointless war" is a valid question. The typical example is the Czech Republic in 1938/1939 - Could they have fought the Germans effectively and been a tough fight for Nazi Germany then? Probably. Could they have won alone without support from the western powers? Probably not.

Bojo turning up in Ukraine in April 2022 probably did reduce the chance of a "peace" agreement - where the peace is "Give Russia what they want and the fighting stops". Because when Zelensky received hope that fighting wouldn't be a pointless cause, he took it. That's what he wanted (as the most "pro-russian" candidate in the presidential elections) and it's what the country "wanted", as much as a country wants anything. And on the British side, we have been one of the biggest military supporters to Ukraine - giving our advanced equipment before others and with less concern. That isn't alone enough, because the British Army is not geared up to invade half the world now, unlike the US, but it's not like the UK hasn't been supporting Ukraine - the fact we're in a very left-wing discussion forum and still plenty of support for the establishment position of support indicates how far the consensus spreads in UK politics.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

during one of my college courses they showed "I, Daniel Blake" and it genuinely made me feel ill.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, but conscription is a bad thing. People should not be expected to fight for a country by virtue of being born in it. This came up last time I think when Ukraine introduced conscription and I was surprised by the number of people who didn't think it was objectionable, especially as that exact same rationale can be used to argue that refugees from all over the world should not be accepted if they are capable of fighting in the wars they are fleeing.

It is fundamentally the "military age men" canard in a new guise. If people do not want to go to war for a country they should not have to, and other countries alleging to have humanitarian concerns should not be forcing them to.

I agree conscription is bad. But the fact that Ukraine has it doesn’t mean that the vast majority of Ukrainians don’t actually want to defend their country, and would much rather let Russian tanks roll into Kyiv if only those dastardly Americans would stop interfering. A desire to defend your home isn’t something the Americans have brainwashed Ukrainians into - it’s one of the most fundamental aspects of humanity.

Do I loving hate the British state? Yes. Would I (if I was brave enough, and who can really know that) defend the island of Great Britain if an aggressive foreign power invaded it? Also yes. Again, it’s infantilising to say that Ukrainians are just lapdogs of the west and would actually love to smooch Putin no matter how you dress it up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I agree with that, if people want to volunteer to fight in that war that is entirely up to them and they should have the guns to do it if they want to. But I don't think that necessitates taking a pro-conscription position or supporting the states involved as the natural expression of the will of the people they claim rulership over.

I come at it from an anarchist position rather than a weird nato conspiracy theorist position.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

fuctifino posted:

I definitely won't be watching either. I couldn't watch "I, Daniel Blake" for similar reasons. My mental health can only take so much...

Watched this on a plane and burst out sobbing like a twat .

Watched his last one, The Royal Oak, in the cinema last summer and burst out sobbing like a twat.

gently caress you Ken Loach

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’d agree with that. I suppose what I take issue with is people doing that but the other way - rather than lionising the Ukrainians and their government, doing the opposite and making GBS threads on them for having the temerity to want to defend themselves from an enemy of the US (because if you’re an enemy of the US you’re obviously good duh)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

*coughing*

So, anyway... as we know, countries that still have monarchies tend to be such that the native press do not cover negative news about the royal family.

A Spaniard who said that in thanks for the British media letting Spain know that their current king/queen are separated even though the national media won't touch that story,

a lot of overseas media is reporting that Chuck is in a very bad way due to the cancer. Funeral plans are being discussed in them.

This is strange because I've been hearing he's making good pwogwess and will be returning to pubwic duty soon

https://twitter.com/BBCBweaking/status/1783904274365153480?t=a2OnD2ffyE7uOpYJzozEzQ&s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bweaking Nuwus being green while being a repost bot for the BBC which is red is giving me a mild ontological crisis.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Here's some Piss Morgan schadenfreude. He's fallen a long way since being sacked from his TalkTV job. He used to interview presidents and A-list celebs.

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1783559670927413694
I'm happy that this is his life now
:allears:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

fuctifino posted:

Here's some Piss Morgan schadenfreude. He's fallen a long way since being sacked from his TalkTV job. He used to interview presidents and A-list celebs.

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1783559670927413694
I'm happy that this is his life now
:allears:

incredible

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is strange because I've been hearing he's making good pwogwess and will be returning to pubwic duty soon

https://twitter.com/BBCBweaking/status/1783904274365153480?t=a2OnD2ffyE7uOpYJzozEzQ&s=19

obv people undergoing treatment of cancer often look ill beyond the disease but the recent pic floating around definitely doesn’t make him look well

who can say

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
he's also 20000 years old

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

yeah i think piers is getting about the level of respect he deserves here

e: looking further it seems this is in fact some kind of elaborate performance art character which i do not really get at all but it's annoying piers morgan so i'm still all for it

Angepain fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 26, 2024

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
mm, well said, that woman :hmmyes:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm glad piers morgan agrees that Palestine should be free, but I disagree with his statement about the issue being complex.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

I'm glad piers morgan agrees that Palestine should be free, but I disagree with his statement about the issue being complex.

That's just his way of trying to negotiate his way to a settlement.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

quote:

King Charles will resume public engagements next week after making encouraging progress in his cancer treatment, Buckingham Palace has said.

It won't yet be a full return to official engagements for the King, but the palace is sending positive signals.

The King will begin next Tuesday with a symbolic trip to a cancer treatment centre.

His summer plans include a state visit, where he will host the Emperor and Empress of Japan.

In the coming weeks, the palace said, he would undertake more external engagements.

The King is said to be "greatly encouraged" to be going back to more public events.

quote:

It remains uncertain if he will be attending some of the big events coming up in the calendar, such as Trooping the Colour, the D-Day commemorations, summer garden parties, Royal Ascot, and overseas trips in the autumn.

Hhhhmmmm, the article only commits him to the visit to the treatment centre. So he's getting treatment?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
His summer plans include a State visit from the Emperor of Japan, who will behead him with a ceremonial katana

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I took a bank shift in the Crystal healing centre King Charles is getting his cancer treatment in. We've shoved so many crystals up his rear end it's like he's been given backshots by a disco ball. My man has an rear end like a Dark Souls level. The Moonlit Butterfly has taken up residency in his rear end. We kept telling him he's got too many crystals but he just said he'd execute my mum if we didn't get the biggest one we could find and ram it up his rear end like we were trying to hide the Crown Jewels from the natives. We shone a torch up there and the refracting light was so intense he lit up like Dr Manhattan and he killed a nurse just by pointing at her.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
no bloodborne spoilers pls

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
you could just keep his tumour alive in a nutrient solution and prevent the inevitable revolution

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Finally fought my way out of the king's rear end and into the swamp of aeonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016