Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How many are just reading it for the :dogstare::staredog: value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
What gets me is that they couldn't be bothered to use AI to generate a cover image in which Truss doesn't look like a total moron

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Someone left their phone at my work today and their most-recently-messaged contact was unhelpful

Managed to get an 'ok he'll come get it' from another contact later after help from a colleague who knew a bit of the language, but lmao

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nenonen posted:

What gets me is that they couldn't be bothered to use AI to generate a cover image in which Truss doesn't look like a total moron
You need some existing data to work with.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I was conscripted and it destroyed my physical and mental health. 0/10 would not recommend.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Guavanaut posted:

You need some existing data to work with.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, but conscription is a bad thing. People should not be expected to fight for a country by virtue of being born in it. This came up last time I think when Ukraine introduced conscription and I was surprised by the number of people who didn't think it was objectionable, especially as that exact same rationale can be used to argue that refugees from all over the world should not be accepted if they are capable of fighting in the wars they are fleeing.

It is fundamentally the "military age men" canard in a new guise. If people do not want to go to war for a country they should not have to, and other countries alleging to have humanitarian concerns should not be forcing them to.

That's all well and good from a purely hypothetical standpoint, Owl, and I'm sure that Ukraine wouldn't be conscripting people if they didn't have to. But the fact remains that Russia is using conscription, and that forces Ukraine's hand. Their professional army just isn't enough.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hope she comes to see the unsold stock pulped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK3k1S2w_cw

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

HopperUK posted:

Someone left their phone at my work today and their most-recently-messaged contact was unhelpful

Managed to get an 'ok he'll come get it' from another contact later after help from a colleague who knew a bit of the language, but lmao

Hahahahaha

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

That's all well and good from a purely hypothetical standpoint, Owl, and I'm sure that Ukraine wouldn't be conscripting people if they didn't have to. But the fact remains that Russia is using conscription, and that forces Ukraine's hand. Their professional army just isn't enough.

It forces the hand of the Ukrainian state from a materialist perspective, yes. The state will very gladly expend the lives of the people it rules over to perpetuate itself. Just as Capital's hand is forced to suppress the rights of Labour because the alternative is a threat to its power.

But does it have the moral right to decide for some of its citizens, that they should die to protect the state? If it were to demand people be recalled from other countries to fight, does that mean being born a citizen of a country entitles that country to the use of your body and life without your consent? Should other countries uphold that right across supposed borders of self determination?

I don't think it does and I don't think they should.

If it helps, consider the processes we expect to be followed if the state is intervening in the lives of its citizens under any other circumstance. If the state is to incarcerate you, we expect individual trials, evidence, a jury of your peers, and that's for almost any judicial act taken against you by the state. Would you consider it acceptable for the state to mass incarcerate an entire demographic of the population via legislative fiat to protect itself? Even in wartime? Cos I feel like at that point you end up arguing that the Japanese internment in the US was a good idea.

I get that conscription is something that is thought of as "normal" to an extent but I really don't think it should be.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 26, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

From a few pages back and I haven't caught up on the thread, but it's for the same reasons David Baddiel, Rachel Riley and other uninformed dolts with big followings, money and right wing views are treated as experts.
Well, also that most people generally (and wrongly) think that intelligence is a linear scale, so Riley being able to do maths fast means she is going to be equally capable in other areas.

It's like a weird version of the appeal to authority fallacy, where instead of examining her political opinions on their own merits (because they don't understand the context) they go 'Well she's good at maths so we'll take her word for it when it comes to the other thing.'

Intelligence doesn't work like that at all.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It can be annoying, but everyone really should have a lock on their phone; there's now too much access to stuff on them

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/mar/02/i-was-in-despair-how-lending-a-phone-led-to-life-savings-being-stolen

Admittedly the lady in this story shots themselves in the foot at every opportunity: don't reuse pin/passwords, don't store them unencrypted, don't keep your banking cards in your phone case, etc.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If someone stole my phone there's a risk they could make a good post in this thread, tarnishing my reputation

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Remember Sunak promising to clamp down on sick notes and all that poo poo? Well the FT says he's stupid and smells of poo

https://archive.ph/ZKAyA

Is Britain suffering from a ‘sick note culture’? (the short answer is no. the long answer is

quote:

Rishi Sunak last week declared it a “moral mission” to reform welfare in the UK, to cut the benefits bill and bring people with health conditions back to work.

A post-pandemic rise of 850,000 in the number of people not working due to long-term sickness was economically unsustainable, unaffordable and unfair on taxpayers, the prime minister said — as well as fuelling migration.

In Sunak’s telling, this crisis in workforce health is at least partly due to a “sick note culture” in which young people are “over-medicalising” everyday anxieties, disability benefits are being “misused” and too many people offered cash instead of therapy.

However, official data suggests that both this diagnosis, and the proposed solutions, are flawed.

Are too many people signed off as sick?

Britain does not look as if it has a “sick note culture”. Data published by NHS Digital shows the number of fit notes issued by GPs fluctuated during the Covid pandemic but was no higher at the end of last year than in 2019.

On average, workers take fewer days off sick each year in Britain than in almost any advanced economy — and this appears to be strongly linked to the UK’s relatively miserly rate of statutory sick pay.

A full-time worker on the minimum wage would receive little more than a tenth of their usual pay if they took a week of sick leave and their employer did not top up the statutory rate — almost the lowest replacement rate in the OECD. Many low paid workers do not qualify even for this.

How fast is the benefits bill rising?

Since 2019-20, the number of working-age adults receiving means-tested incapacity benefits, because they are assessed as unable to work or job-hunt, has risen by 700,000 to 3.2mn. The Office for Budget Responsibility, the fiscal watchdog, estimates it could reach 3.8mn by 2028-29.

Over the same period, claims for disability benefits — which are not means-tested but meant to help people who face higher living costs — have rocketed from 2.3mn to 3.3mn, and are forecast to reach 4.6mn by 2028-29.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies, a think-tank, estimates that more than 10 per cent of the population now receives at least one of these benefits, with a growing share receiving both.

The increase affects all age groups but has been sharpest among young people. The IFS has noted a 20-year-old today is as likely to receive health-related benefits as a 39-year-old was in 2019. A high proportion of new claimants have a mental or behavioural disorder.

Are people over-medicalising everyday strains on mental health?

Sunak’s suggestion that young adults are over pathologising everyday anxieties appears ill-evidenced. Louise Murphy, an economist at the Resolution Foundation think-tank, notes most claims by 16- to 25-year-olds relate to ADHD, autism and learning disabilities.

Helen Barnard, director of policy at the Trussell Trust, said many older people had both physical and mental health conditions — and were not off work because they were depressed but “because being ill, off work, struggling to get support and facing financial hardship is depressing”.

Analysts cite worsening health among the population — linked to longer NHS waiting lists — as one of several factors that could be driving the increase.

The cost of living crisis could also prompt people who previously felt claiming benefits was not worth the hassle to apply, noted Tom Waters, associate director at the IFS. It was also “plausible but far from confirmed” that tougher conditionality for jobless benefits was prompting people to claim more generous incapacity benefits instead if they were able to.

Is ill health hobbling the workforce?

While the rise in benefits claims is stark, unreliable data has made it hard to tell how far worsening health is affecting the UK’s labour force.

The Office for National Statistics labour force survey — the main source of data on economic inactivity — shows a startling increase of 850,000 since the start of the pandemic in the number of working-age adults who say long-term ill health is keeping them out of work.

This rise in health-related economic inactivity is the main reason why, on the ONS’s count, the UK’s workforce has not regained its pre-Covid size. The level of employment is still 110,000 lower than at end of 2019.

But a drop in responses to the survey has made the LFS unreliable — at least since last summer, and potentially since 2020 — so this data comes with a big health warning. It is at odds with payroll data and the ONS’s workforce jobs survey, both of which point to much stronger employment and workforce participation.

“I worry that a lot of analysis and policy recommendations may be being based on erroneous data,” Harvey Daniell, a Bank of England economist focusing on labour markets, posted on X following Sunak’s speech.

Will a benefits clampdown fix a workforce crisis?

Policy analysts worry that Sunak’s benefits clampdown — while it may cut the cost of welfare to the Exchequer — will make sick and disabled people poorer, rather than helping them find a job.

“It’s easy to cut disability benefits but difficult to get people into work,” Waters said.

The prime minister wants to tighten eligibility for both incapacity and disability benefits, and in some cases cut their generosity, while giving people faster access to therapy and tailored job support.

In November, the OBR said that plans announced in the Autumn Statement to tighten incapacity benefits would save the Treasury £1bn a year but boost employment by just 10,000 — while an expansion of therapy and job support could bring 40,000 people into work.

The government is set to publish details of a stricter regime for disability benefits. It is also rolling out local pilot schemes that integrate job and health support, branded “WorkWell”. But an existing job support scheme, targeted at disabled people, is being scrapped.

Barnard said there was some investment in the type of health and job support that was needed but that ministers were pushing a “really damaging” narrative, implying that people were “showing up as long-term sick . . . because they’re not making the effort”.

The Trussell Trust had seen more disabled people using its food banks because they were unable to afford essentials — even the bus fare to attend hospital appointments, she said, adding: “We need a social security system that allows you to get better.”

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Microplastics posted:

If someone stole my phone there's a risk they could make a good post in this thread, tarnishing my reputation

I don't do phone banking (because I still can't get my head around people having the same phone for banking as their verification codes get sent to - I have a separate 'stupid' phone for verification texts that does nothing internet at all) & my bank email address isn't on my phone.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All my phone banking is biometric.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

All my phone banking is biometric.

Doesn't that mean "they" will just pluck out your eyeballs or cut your forefinger off?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Cos I feel like at that point you end up arguing that the Japanese internment in the US was a good idea.

Not saying it was a good idea by any means, but the Japanese were a lot better at using overseas citizens/emigres at e.g. Pearl Harbour than the Germans ever were in the US so it wasn't completely without any justification.

Very tangential to the current discussion but I think it's somewhat interesting.

e: Though TBF the Nazis made a lot of use of German minorities in Europe as well, just not as much in the US and the UK.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 26, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again, yes you can justify it if your primary point of consideration is the preservation of the state no matter the human cost, but I would hope that people ITT would not consider that an acceptable justification.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Doesn't that mean "they" will just pluck out your eyeballs or cut your forefinger off?
It's local biometric, so it doesn't leave my device. And if someone has my device and my person and is prepared to use that level of force then a password isn't much good either.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

It's local biometric, so it doesn't leave my device. And if someone has my device and my person and is prepared to use that level of force then a password isn't much good either.

So you haven't got access to secret labs growing evil pathogens via your eyeball then?
Darnit, I've been mislead by the movies again.

(Can a pathogen be evil? Is evil a human construct? Are pathogens just doing what pathogens do? Hm.)

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
The issue is more, if I remember correctly, that the police can compel you to put your thumb on the phone fingerprint thing or take a picture of you for the facial scan but they can't compel you to put in the passcode. Not that they're going to beat it out of you. This is mostly based on US law though so I'm not sure if that is also true in the UK.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miftan posted:

I was conscripted and it destroyed my physical and mental health. 0/10 would not recommend.

should've been a swiftie instead smdh

(more seriously I'm sorry to hear that miftan you're a good'un)

and for those who don't get the reference:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

There's been a few cases in London of muggera forcing someone at knifepoint to send all their money, including savings to another account. It's basically "taken to a ATM at knifepoint" but updated. And since you technically approved the transactions, it's not fraud!

Single points of failure are bad.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

you can just refuse to do it? for a couple of months in jail everyone should do that imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I have like £200 in there so I'll take that over the more traditional stabbing me and stealing my phone, which cost more than that.

Although they'll probably do the latter when they find out the former.

shimmy shimmy posted:

The issue is more, if I remember correctly, that the police can compel you to put your thumb on the phone fingerprint thing or take a picture of you for the facial scan but they can't compel you to put in the passcode. Not that they're going to beat it out of you. This is mostly based on US law though so I'm not sure if that is also true in the UK.
In the UK you can get up to 2 years for refusing to provide a password, whereas I'm not sure there's an equivalent for biometric. I know they've had to do scooter snatch style robberies of suspects to get unlocked devices recently.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Guavanaut posted:

In the UK you can get up to 2 years for refusing to provide a password, whereas I'm not sure there's an equivalent for biometric. I know they've had to do scooter snatch style robberies of suspects to get unlocked devices recently.

May god smite your benighted country

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

shimmy shimmy posted:

May god smite your benighted country

if it hasn't happened this far

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

kecske posted:

you can just refuse to do it? for a couple of months in jail everyone should do that imo

nah she was in jail for a least a year, she was updating via sharing the account with a trusted friend and jail visits

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Guavanaut posted:

what about if you give a false password to trigger the 'incorrect password attempt > phone is wiped' feature that iOS has? I don't remember if android has it natively

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

kecske posted:

what about if you give a false password to trigger the 'incorrect password attempt > phone is wiped' feature that iOS has? I don't remember if android has it natively

then they can probably do you fo destroying evidence

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

kecske posted:

From what I understand the societal pressure including from family to do it is very strong, resisting that (and not everyone will want to) takes some strength of character.
Look at how conscientious objectors were treated in WW1.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/richmond-castle/history-and-stories/attitudes-to-cos/

There was quite a moving Dad's Army episode when the old guy Private Godfrey was revealed to have been a CO

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x52x6ny

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Look at how conscientious objectors were treated in WW1.

There was quite a moving Dad's Army episode when the old guy Private Godfrey was revealed to have been a CO
Merchant Navy in WW2 too, lots of dirty looks, being refused service in pubs, people saying "join the real navy you coward" when they had one of the worst casualty rates in the war and people weren't complaining when the food and tea got delivered.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Again, yes you can justify it if your primary point of consideration is the preservation of the state no matter the human cost, but I would hope that people ITT would not consider that an acceptable justification.

Jesus loving Christ, man. You are aware that Russia has been practicing ethnic cleansing in areas of Eastern Ukraine that resist, right? "Repatriating" Ukrainian children to the Motherland is about the least of it. The "human cost" of failing to preserve the state can be as bad as the cost of resistance, and in this case we know for a fact it will be worse because Putin has been quite clear that his next step if Ukraine falls is to move on other former Soviet satellite states. But even if it weren't, what would you prefer - a lot of dead people and Russia conquering Ukraine, or the same amount of dead people but the evil murdering cunts don't get what they want?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

HopperUK posted:

if it hasn't happened this far

Are you sure about that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

Jesus loving Christ, man. You are aware that Russia has been practicing ethnic cleansing in areas of Eastern Ukraine that resist, right? "Repatriating" Ukrainian children to the Motherland is about the least of it. The "human cost" of failing to preserve the state can be as bad as the cost of resistance, and in this case we know for a fact it will be worse because Putin has been quite clear that his next step if Ukraine falls is to move on other former Soviet satellite states. But even if it weren't, what would you prefer - a lot of dead people and Russia conquering Ukraine, or the same amount of dead people but the evil murdering cunts don't get what they want?

If you are arguing that there is a species-wide imperative to fight Russia then the best way to accomplish that would be direct military intervention with the professional, volunteer militaries of other countries, not shipping out refugees to be conscripted. Not least because it is entirely possible that the latter approach will not avert a Russian victory and the former would still be a necessary consideration. Which means that as far as the initial contention goes, that western states care about the welfare of the Ukrainian people, permitting it to come to, and actively supporting Ukrainian conscription would be a direct refutation of that. It is simply the least costly course for the states to take.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 26, 2024

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Merchant Navy in WW2 too, lots of dirty looks, being refused service in pubs, people saying "join the real navy you coward" when they had one of the worst casualty rates in the war and people weren't complaining when the food and tea got delivered.

I believe this was more of a WW1 thing? It was why the merchant fleet was formally (and royally) named 'the Merchant Navy' and gained officially standardised uniforms and insignia for ratings as well as officers - before 1918 most merchant sailors didn't have a recognisable uniform or were provided working rig by the shipping line, and so wore civvies when not attached to a ship, which led to a lot of white feathers and dirty looks.

And yes, that episode of Dad's Army is one of the classics. Especially given what the actor who played Pvt. Godfrey went through in the actual war - he was riddled with shrapnel at the Somme, had long-term physical and neurological issues as a result, recovered and then joined up again in 1939 and narrowly avoided being captured during the Fall of France.

It really must be struggle with feelings of futility when you find yourself risking life and limb fighting Germans in northeast France twice in one lifetime.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

You love to see it

https://twitter.com/politlcsuk/status/1783957426015764552?s=46

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If you are arguing that there is a species-wide imperative to fight Russia then the best way to accomplish that would be direct military intervention with the professional, volunteer militaries of other countries, not shipping out refugees to be conscripted.

I don’t think Jedit was arguing that and I’m not sure how you got that from what they’re saying. When a state falls, it’s not like the people living in it aren’t quite badly affected usually. It’s not just the state being protected - it’s the people in it, and everything they need to live. People fighting for Ukraine, willingly, unwillingly or some confusing mix in the middle of the two aren’t thinking ‘let’s save the state apparatus and political class of Ukraine’, they’re thinking ‘well this loving sucks but I really don’t want that invading Russian tank column to come to my town because typically that’s not ended well, and it’ll be ending poorly for me and my family in this case’.

I know you’re an anarchist but a country is more than the state in the vast majority of people’s minds, but more importantly in this case it’s not the only thing that’s going to have a bad time if Russia annexes Ukraine - the people will suffer, without hope of victory or a return to the peace they knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In which case I am entirely serious about suggesting that what you should be advocating for is direct military intervention. If you sincerely believe that allowing a Russian victory would be a humanitarian disaster in excess of that caused by throwing every able bodied Ukrainian at them, then a global military intervention becomes an obligation to end the war as soon and decisively as possible. I would find that to be a far more respectable position.