Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

The hard cut on "tory oval office!" is perfection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

In which case I am entirely serious about suggesting that what you should be advocating for is direct military intervention. If you sincerely believe that allowing a Russian victory would be a humanitarian disaster in excess of that caused by throwing every able bodied Ukrainian at them, then a global military intervention becomes an obligation to end the war as soon and decisively as possible. I would find that to be a far more respectable position.

No, because the direct humanitarian cost of doing that is world-ending nuclear war.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

If you are arguing that there is a species-wide imperative to fight Russia then the best way to accomplish that would be direct military intervention with the professional, volunteer militaries of other countries, not shipping out refugees to be conscripted. Not least because it is entirely possible that the latter approach will not avert a Russian victory and the former would still be a necessary consideration. Which means that as far as the initial contention goes, that western states care about the welfare of the Ukrainian people, permitting it to come to, and actively supporting Ukrainian conscription would be a direct refutation of that. It is simply the least costly course for the states to take.

Shipping out refugees isn't a thing. Also, a bill didn't even make Ukraines government floor about tighterning up penalties for draft dodging. They threw it out without even talking about it. Becareful on what you read. It's a poo poo show atm.

And what Dabir said.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

I believe this was more of a WW1 thing? It was why the merchant fleet was formally (and royally) named 'the Merchant Navy' and gained officially standardised uniforms and insignia for ratings as well as officers - before 1918 most merchant sailors didn't have a recognisable uniform or were provided working rig by the shipping line, and so wore civvies when not attached to a ship, which led to a lot of white feathers and dirty looks.
The guy I heard it from mentioned it regarding his dad and definitely mentioned people "going by the hat" so (anecdotally) it was still happening in WW2, though maybe not as bad as WW1 when there was no recognition.

Perhaps some subset of people just had very stupid ideas about what the merchant fleet was actually doing, as we've seen with the RNLI recently.

Speaking of which, I'm by the seaside and I just put the last of my pocket change in the charity box, so now for the first time since being a literal child I have no paper/plastic/metal money at all, which is a weird thought.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dabir posted:

No, because the direct humanitarian cost of doing that is world-ending nuclear war.

The world will keep spinning, life will find a way. Not sure that our species going extinct is a net negative, just a shame about the collateral extinctions

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

If you are arguing that there is a species-wide imperative to fight Russia then the best way to accomplish that would be direct military intervention with the professional, volunteer militaries of other countries, not shipping out refugees to be conscripted. Not least because it is entirely possible that the latter approach will not avert a Russian victory and the former would still be a necessary consideration. Which means that as far as the initial contention goes, that western states care about the welfare of the Ukrainian people, permitting it to come to, and actively supporting Ukrainian conscription would be a direct refutation of that. It is simply the least costly course for the states to take.

personally i'd quite like to do something to help stop an invading army that's known for torturing, raping and murdering civilisans torturing, raping and murdering my nearest and dearest

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
but aside from that i'm quite the pacifist

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tesseraction posted:

nah she was in jail for a least a year, she was updating via sharing the account with a trusted friend and jail visits

I have a new-found respect for Taylor Swift!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

Merchant Navy in WW2 too, lots of dirty looks, being refused service in pubs, people saying "join the real navy you coward" when they had one of the worst casualty rates in the war and people weren't complaining when the food and tea got delivered.

that's deadful, they should have done a public information campaign on the wireless about it to keep up the seamen's moral

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
stohp!!

theenk!

deeownt bee ay cahnt :nono:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Nenonen posted:

I have a new-found respect for Taylor Swift!

Just in case you didn't realize, it wasn't Taylor Swift that was in prison for refusing to join IDF, but the woman who does the Taylor Swift Updates twitter. She's just a big fan I think. Been around for ages before the latest Swift Mania.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I suppose I do also respect Taylor Swift herself for not joining the IDF, as far as I know. Certainly a point in her favour.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm afraid to say that due to a comedy of errors I'm now in the IDF

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Angepain posted:

I suppose I do also respect Taylor Swift herself for not joining the IDF, as far as I know. Certainly a point in her favour.

Seems very antisemitic of her.

Although the real question is which army should Taylor Swift volunteer for first, the Ukrainians or the IDF? I can see her standing in the ranks of the Azov Brigade.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Shhh don't blow your cover

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tesseraction posted:

Oh Tesseraction!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I am away from home for a weekend and seriously, does everyone in this God forsaken country just sleep under a quilt and nothing else?

I may be an autism but I need a sheet and various thin blankets so I can have cooler feet and warm shoulders and a variety of options. The idea of sleeping in a pool of sweat under a giant marshmallow is gahhhh!!!?

Does everyone else have a uniform perfect body temperature or something?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I did not know this was a thing at all. Undersheet, duvet cover and pillow cases. I'll sleep under a duvet cover (minus duvet) during a heat wave.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mebh posted:

I am away from home for a weekend and seriously, does everyone in this God forsaken country just sleep under a quilt and nothing else?

I may be an autism but I need a sheet and various thin blankets so I can have cooler feet and warm shoulders and a variety of options. The idea of sleeping in a pool of sweat under a giant marshmallow is gahhhh!!!?

Quilt mainly covering lower half and fan on much of the night blowing at my head & top half (my head seems to heat up dramatically as soon as I lie down - nurse friend said that might be a thyroid problem but if it is it's not been picked up on blood tests.).
And sticking feet out if necessary. I do have one of those cellular blankets if it gets cold but that often ends up kicked off on the floor.
I feel weird if there isn't a weight on me (eg sleeping with just a light sheet though I have done that in very hot weather).
But then my duvet seems to manage to turn itself round 180o in the night. (It's a square double so not because it's a single).
My dad used to call me "The Windmill" as a kid because my blankets in those far distant pre-duvet days used to end up halfway down the stairs.
Oh and don't tell me about the menopause years when hot flashes mean you're burning up like a furnace and spend all night pulling blankets/quilts on & off trying desperately to regulate temperature.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mebh
May 10, 2010

A wank of defiance sounds much more fun.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Miftan posted:

I was conscripted and it destroyed my physical and mental health. 0/10 would not recommend.

Guess it affects people differently. I was conscripted and it basically rescued my physical and mental health. It probably helps we're purely defensive and not engaged in a war of conquest.

In Finland you can select civil service instead of military service though.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 27, 2024

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
One of the few good selling points about national service (unless your kink is flag-shagging, where it's all good) is that there would be lots of work that would be good for people's physical and mental health. And, again, we're talking more about civil service than military.

It's actually kind of mind-boggling the number of environmental projects that could get done if there was a workforce of tens of thousands of younger people.
Of course, we're in hell-world, so they'd all be sent to go and do things to make political donors rich.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mebh posted:

Nah. Duvet cover (with no duvet in), weighted blanket, thin duvet at present folded to cover legs from knees down to keep feet warm, little blanket thing for hugging when stomach hurts/wrapping round shoulders when sitting up; topped by occasional cat or cats when they're in the mood for snoozing on a human.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Mebh posted:

Autism also but I'm exactly the opposite. In all but the hottest of weather, I need me one big snuggly duvet that can be wrapped into an airtight cocoon up to my neck*, and any further additions are unnecessary added weight which risk disrupting my stability later on (e.g. if the extra blanket treacherously falls off the bed in the middle of the night and I get cold.)

I am horrified by hotels which think that "thin sheet tucked into the bed with a sort of unpleasant furry blanket on top' is an acceptable gloss on that.

Do you care nothing for cosiness, sirs and madams? Do you have no respect for the noble craft of being a toasty cinnamon bun?

*upon reflection, this is just swaddling, i am a giant baby who needs to be swaddled. I will embrace this.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 27, 2024

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I probably, none official diagnosis yet, have autism and I will sometimes put the duvet between my legs.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

kecske posted:

you can just refuse to do it? for a couple of months in jail everyone should do that imo

The jail time varies by quite a lot of variables, but as others stated there's also a lot of societal issues with getting jobs down the line (and while legally jobs aren't allowed to ask you what you did in the army or if you served, applying for jobs at 20 would raise some eyebrows for example). There's jobs like security work etc that require a military service.

I'm pretty sure I would have also lost my entire social circle if I didn't join up. In hindsight that would have been a good thing, but at the time it's pretty daunting.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Guess it affects people differently. I was conscripted and it basically rescued my physical and mental health. It probably helps we're purely defensive and not engaged in a war of conquest.

In Finland you can select civil service instead of military service though.

I suspect the Finnish and Israeli army are quite different, yeah.

On the conscription thing, even if you think every Ukrainian should be fighting the Russians, surely that's a decision for them to make individually? If a Ukrainian lad decides he doesn't want to, he should be allowed to leave? Which conscription doesn't really allow for. And like Owly said, if you're for conscription, because the threat is that big, why aren't you over there fighting?

Conscription is bollocks and everyone should be able to choose for themselves if they want to fight to the death. Aiming a gun at another human being is just as scary as them aiming one at you.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 27, 2024

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Cocooning and putting duvet between legs are perfectly normal things to do, you don't need autism for that

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Microplastics posted:

Cocooning and putting duvet between legs are perfectly normal things to do, you don't need autism for that

Yeah these are both pro strats.

Although according to the online tests I have "some autistic tendencies" , which I think is just the right amount

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Duvet ProTip: we got a fantastic one from M&S I think which consists of a lightweight duvet and a mid weight duvet that can be snapped together to make one unified heavy duvet. Thus giving you 3 duvet warmth options for the price of one.

Edit - here - https://www.marksandspencer.com/warm-and-toasty-all-seasons-15-tog-duvet/p/hbp60631390

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 27, 2024

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The solution as it turns out was to steal my tattoo artist's whippet, who runs at approximately 500 degrees and demands cuddles. I didn't need covers. Yay.

Doggos are awesome.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Whoever was asking about the shambles that is HMRC the other week - good article here on just how awful and poo poo it is. Although it doesn’t mention that the “debt collection agencies” are actually made up front companies that are part of HMRC scare tactics.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/apr/27/uk-tax-hmrc-money-tax

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Mebh posted:

The solution as it turns out was to steal my tattoo artist's whippet, who runs at approximately 500 degrees and demands cuddles. I didn't need covers. Yay.

Doggos are awesome.

That might be a tiger

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mebh posted:

Doggos are awesome.

Dog's got some sick ink

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Mebh posted:

Doggos are awesome.

Did... Did they practice in the dog?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Congrats on joining the Irish Defence Force (Óglaigh na hÉireann)!!! :thumbsup:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

PriorMarcus posted:

This is recommending a company called brsk to me. Anyone in the thread have an idea what they are like?

So, just following this up in case anyone else is looking into them.

We ended up switching to brsk and have them for a week now, so not long really, but their Internet is a massive improvement on Virgin. We are getting around the same download and upload speeds, but for half the price (we went for the £23 deal) and the router is much better at reaching nearly everywhere in the house.

Also, and here's the self serving part, if anyone is thinking of signing up I have a referral code which will get us both a £75 Amazon voucher. https://brsk.uk/F6QH

Personally so far I'd recommend them if they are available in your area.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Rampant corruption and grifting and yet absolutely nothing will be done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

sinky posted:

That might be a tiger

He's the best tiger and when I look after him I'm reminded that dogs are a crazy amount of work compared to cats.

smellmycheese posted:

Rampant corruption and grifting and yet absolutely nothing will be done

And then they came for the unfit, and most of Britain said nothing because they were down the pub watching the snooker.