Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Yeah its this. Without the warm air and water coming up from the south Atlantic we would be getting 10 foot snow drifts like New York gets during winter.
And New York is at the same latitude as Lisbon Portugal.

I think i'm on the same latitude as lower Alaska. :shudder:

edit: 213 An American hip hop group featuring Snoop Dog as a member... whatever, it was first on the search bar. :shrug:

edit edit: vvv nice Malayan Tapir avatar below. :D

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i'm pretty sure this extended winter has been making my depression worse

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it's not helping here either. I think I'm getting more sensitive to winter as I get older.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

kecske posted:

I feel like if I was able to work from home then the lines between workday/downtime would blur sufficiently that I would end up doing extra bits outside of my contracted hours. As it is, the second the workday ends I'm out of the door with tools left comically spinning in the air like a cartoon

Honestly, given the way you describe leaving the office, I reckon you'd be pretty good at not blurring work/non-work time. Back in the 'before times' I was very much a stickler for leaving promptly. I'll give the company the 7.5 good hours, and then I'm out of there.

When I went fully remote, there continued (and continues) to be a ceremony of "I'm no longer at work" - it just changed a bit. Instead of shutting the laptop down, putting it in the carrying-bag, leaving the office, and driving home, I just shut down the laptop and put it away in its bag.

Edit: It sounds kind of silly when I write it out, but in my mind, grabbing the work laptop from its case, booting it up, and logging in, really does feel like a truncated commute - I'm going to work.

magimix fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 27, 2024

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
We've had weird/poo poo Aprils for the last few years tbf. Like when we'd have a mini-heatwave for a week and then the next full on snow. It's just this year the heatwave has been two half days of sun and instead of snow it's just been cold and dreary.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
2020 and lockdown conference calls in the garden in March / April with it getting up to 23 C, it’s a far cry from that currently.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I really miss warm springs because I get bad hayfever later in the year.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’ve seen this so now you have to

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I am genuinely benefiting from the chilly and overcast weather but I feel bad that it makes other people sad!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

smellmycheese posted:

Keggie Statcher?
Mair Tharmer?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Marge Toolmaker

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

They're the same person. :colbert:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I get to keep wearing my large gothy coats for a bit longer before it gets so warm that I wish I could remove my skin to cool down.

gently caress summer in this country of stupid under insulated houses.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm visiting Scotland and the weather has been lovely almost the whole time so you know climate change is here for real.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

When the American Candy shops finally go we can conclude Britains high streets are now too expensive even for money laundering

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

smellmycheese posted:

the iron laddy

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

big scary monsters posted:

I'm visiting Scotland

Relatedly apparently Irn Bru has additional bizarre flavours now? Not sure about this tbh

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

big scary monsters posted:

Relatedly apparently Irn Bru has additional bizarre flavours now? Not sure about this tbh

These look quite horrible

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Because the North atlantic Ocean is really warm this year, we got a warm+wet winter because the predominant weather pattern was air masses off the Atlantic coming over the UK, which are full of evaporated water from the hotter Atlantic and pushed out the arctic and Scandinavian air masses that cause cold winters. The problem is that this has continued over spring, amd we've not had any air masses from Africa or Western Europe that usually cause hot weather in April. So we've had a "average" temperature April that feels missing because it's also been wet and cloudy the entire time. Hot Ocean doesn't necessarily mean Hot UK, just means not freezing.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah it's not helping here either. I think I'm getting more sensitive to winter as I get older.

Get a HEPA filter. You can get one for like £60-100ish and it's changed my life. I put it on for an hour or two in my bedroom before I go to bed and suddenly I can breathe during hayfever season. You walk into the room and the air just feels significantly fresher, like on a mountain top. I cannot overstate how big a difference it made for my hayfever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you have an example link for the kind of thing I should be looking for? Mostly just getting replacement filters for presumably other devices.

E: found some under "air purifer" will have a look, cheers.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Miftan posted:

Get a HEPA filter. You can get one for like £60-100ish and it's changed my life. I put it on for an hour or two in my bedroom before I go to bed and suddenly I can breathe during hayfever season. You walk into the room and the air just feels significantly fresher, like on a mountain top. I cannot overstate how big a difference it made for my hayfever.

Ooooo thanks for this, that might help me a lot

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if I can get one that takes the same P3 filters as my respirator lol

E: also I literally have all the equipment to test for airborne particle concentrations I should do that and quantify the difference.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 27, 2024

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Miftan posted:

Don't think we've had our bedroom HEPA filter off except to change the filter for 4 years... It's been such a life changer. Plus the white noise at night is so nice. It's a TCL Breeva.

Do be careful and don't get a fancy Levoit one tho. We loved the bedroom filter so much we bought a much bigger one for downstairs.
It bricked itself the day after the warranty expired. Looked it up online and that happened to so many people it can't be accidental.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 27, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For a mere three thousand pounds I could completely change the air in my bedroom every few minutes.

https://www.beaconinternational.co....rGbFyqj1Ccq59aM

Like if I just put this in the doorway and run it backwards I can have the cleanest air in the world.

Yes they sound like a jet engine but that's fine.

You could probably pressurize an entire house with one of those.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 27, 2024

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it is astonishing at how dirty even corsi boxes get lol. my filters are greyyyyy now

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just barefaced lies!

https://x.com/declassifiedUK/status/1784175660375716055

She's from that crazed bunch that claimed Jewish patients were upset seeing Palestinian children's decorated plates on the hospital walls & had them removed.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 27, 2024

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao the look on his face when he sat back

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

She's from that crazed bunch that claimed Jewish patients were upset seeing Palestinian children's decorated plates on the hospital walls & had them removed.

Oh look, the same cunts are currently going after murals of Palestinian children, doctors & journalists murdered in Gaza.

Naturally the councils are happy to remove them as anything that depicts Palestinians in a positive light is anti-Semitism.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

For a mere three thousand pounds I could completely change the air in my bedroom every few minutes.

https://www.beaconinternational.co....rGbFyqj1Ccq59aM

Like if I just put this in the doorway and run it backwards I can have the cleanest air in the world.

Yes they sound like a jet engine but that's fine.

You could probably pressurize an entire house with one of those.

All well and good until you trip over with a bowl of cereal and it inhales them, then your cats, then you.

I suppose it'd be fun to answer the door to political canvassers with that tho.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

keep punching joe posted:

These look quite horrible

Why on earth would you gently caress with the greatest drink on Earth? These are an abomination.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

They'll go well with the alcohol & caffeine free version of Buckfast Tonic.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

frytechnician posted:

Why on earth would you gently caress with the greatest drink on Earth? These are an abomination.

Because people will buy it once out of curiosity & then go back to normal Bru

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao th--

mediaphage posted:

lmao the look on his face when he sat back

gently caress u don't pre-empt me

but lmao the look on his face

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

mediaphage posted:

not particularly a fan of retconning queer into characters, but

lmao might be biting something too big there
"I've lost my family, my friends and my career by being a bigoted loudmouth shithead. Might as well double down on the last by making a libellous tweet about one of the most powerful people in British television."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

LMAO, let's see how many dog whistles you can count:
https://twitter.com/stuzi_pants/status/1784311622405644327

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

mediaphage posted:

not particularly a fan of retconning queer into characters, but

lmao might be biting something too big there

There's nothing particularly straight about the relationship between David Tennant's Doctor and John Simm's Master tbh

Lmao Glinner. Yes that's a fight worth picking.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Ed Balls

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fuctifino posted:

LMAO, let's see how many dog whistles you can count:
https://twitter.com/stuzi_pants/status/1784311622405644327

wow that went straight from normal politician guff to triple brackets poo poo way faster than expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1784333851755516333?t=QjGhkm6C-VYzLpAGfUwpKw

Seems like that'll be the end for Yousaf. What a massive strategic blunder this week has been for the SNP, just an incredible display of weakness to stab their long-standing allies in the back, especially when Harvie and Slater were publically backing the close relationship with the SNP. There was no guarantee the Green membership was going to vote to dissolve the coalition, and even if it had resulted in a vote against, while it would have been politically damaging it wouldn't have hurt half as much as this vote is going to. If they truly believed that the Greens quitting the coalition was an unacceptable level of damage, they could have worked something out with the Green leadership to jointly dissolve the coalition, or they could have arranged a vote of the SNP membership too so both sides were voting on it.

Honestly the only thing I can imagine is that Yousaf was being threatened with resignations or challenges from within his own party and panicked because he's such a weak leader. It's just baffling. Surely they can't have been so delusional as to think that calling the two green co-leaders (who are still very popular with members as I understand it) to unceremoniously fire them on the morning of FMQs as if they're an afterthought wouldn't be seen as a treacherous insulting act. Surely they must have discussed what Alba would ask for. I'll admit I didn't expect Salmond to basically give them the political equivalent of a tradesman's "gently caress off" price, but you'd hope politicians would have their finger on the pulse better than some chump who gets most of their news via tweets in this thread. Apparently they didn't do either of those things, which just speaks to sheer incompetence on both his part and anyone in the party who is pulling his strings.

I imagine we'll soon see the news pivot onto whether the Greens will support a VONC in the whole government next, though. That's going to be dicey for them, my guess is that they'll support it if Yousaf's interim successor isn't one of the loonies who described the Greens as "extremist".