Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Both Galloway and Brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I haven't ventured into the Graun yet today to see the handwringing over Galloway (I presume there will be some).

It would be great if they interviewed people who would normally vote tory or labour in Rochdale and see why they have lent Galloway their support. Is it perhaps a case of stick it to both tory & labour or really anything at all to do with the ongoing genocide? (I mean they might have done this but I haven't looked yet).

The BoD are on the case already "dark day" etc.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be fair the BoD might have just seen a brown person walking down the street without being beaten and/or murdered.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I haven't ventured into the Graun yet today to see the handwringing over Galloway (I presume there will be some).

It would be great if they interviewed people who would normally vote tory or labour in Rochdale and see why they have lent Galloway their support. Is it perhaps a case of stick it to both tory & labour or really anything at all to do with the ongoing genocide? (I mean they might have done this but I haven't looked yet).

The BoD are on the case already "dark day" etc.

Centrist tears

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm gonna ask here in the UK politics thread because gently caress you that's why.

Why does twitter load in Firefox but not Chrome? I've consistently got the very helpful "Something went wrong" error message on every single tweet in the past week or so on Chrome, but it's completely fine in Firefox. I'm logged out of twitter in both (incidentally I can't log in to twitter on Chrome because "Something went wrong")

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I hope we get him saying "Spunk loving Sluts" in parliament again.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Case in bloody point:

Graun posted:

Asked if he thought Starmer genuinely wanted a ceasefire, Galloway replied:

If you believe that, I’ve got a bridge in London I could sell you going cheap. Nobody believes that. If he really did, he wouldn’t have wrecked the SNP motion in the house just a week or so ago. He would have backed the SNP’s motion. Or better he’d have called a debate himself and put his own motion down.

He didn’t do any of those things. He preferred to force the speaker into a monstrous manipulation of parliamentary conventions and cause the scenes that you saw. He’s a phoney. He’s doing everything that he can to protect Israel from the righteous wrath of the international community and the people of Britain.

Graun posted:

If you’re really asking me what should be the final state of affairs in Israel and Palestine, well, my position is quite well known. I think there should be one democratic and secular state, between the river and the sea. And if I was doing their marketing, I’d call it the Holy Land.

Asked if that meant he did not want Israel to exist, he replied:

No state has a right to exist, not the Soviet Union, not Czechoslovakia, not the Zionist apartheid state of Israel. I believe that the best solution for everybody is, as it was in South Africa, freed from apartheid, a democratic state where white people and black people, Jews, Christians, Muslims, live as equal citizens under the law.

Le Charlatan Chat, c'est vrai.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Microplastics posted:

I'm gonna ask here in the UK politics thread because gently caress you that's why.

Why does twitter load in Firefox but not Chrome? I've consistently got the very helpful "Something went wrong" error message on every single tweet in the past week or so on Chrome, but it's completely fine in Firefox. I'm logged out of twitter in both (incidentally I can't log in to twitter on Chrome because "Something went wrong")

The divorced baby man broke the site, and likely something chrome does is breaking the api worse than Firefox.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
gently caress sake Rochdale

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
No state has the right to exist except the British state which he endorsed wholeheartedly two years ago in an alliance with the far right in which encouraged people to vote Tory.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tai posted:

They made what was probably the best choice out of an astounding number of lovely choices.

Note that this is not a particular defence of Galloway.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Tai posted:

I am not going to be overly upset about Rochdale electing someone on a platform that Israel is a monstrous genocidal state and both Tories and Labour are complicit in their crimes.

I wish that person wasn't George loving Galloway, but here we are.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The vengeful folk devil indeed.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Microplastics posted:

It works ok for me on chrome. Maybe you need to clear cache or something? Try loading in an incognito window see if it opens.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
he actually pulled out “make rochdale great again” lmao

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Galloway was the best choice? Ok point still stands

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, as pointed out in the previous thread, the other two top contenders were also absolute shite.

sebzilla posted:

"I'm voting for the guy who was bombed out of the Labour Party in disgrace. No, not that one. Not that one either. Yeah, him."

It's a very weird contest. The cat in the hat winning his second by-election would in some ways be the least surprising thing about it.

Still, lol, lmao

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tai posted:

I think that most of the failures that made Galloway the best choice were more national-level than specifically Rochdale's fault, is what I'm saying. He got in based on institutional racism and authoritarian, antidemocratic centralisation eating away at viable alternatives.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I hate his stupid hat so much. Why does he wear it all the time? Take off the hat.

Obviously he's being Ratatouilled. Watch out for any proposed amendments regarding subsidies for cheese

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tai posted:

Labour pulled support for their candidate, the Greens did the same, the Tory went on holiday during the campaign for a fortnight, the Reform candidate is a former MP for the town who lost his seat after a scandal involving sexting a teenager (17 year old) who IIRC worked in his office, which is all legal but loving lovely behaviour, the Liberals are the Liberals & no one likes them, & the independent candidate who came second & apparently didn't even realise he could get funding to help put out leaflets at the start of the campaign. It's not as if the people of Rochdale were given much of a choice. George Galloway was seen as an effective way to show fury over the British response to the Israeli genocide in Gaza.

Besides, Galloway got 39.7% of the votes in a by-election where only 39.7% bothered to vote.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Angepain posted:

Obviously he's being Ratatouilled. Watch out for any proposed amendments regarding subsidies for cheese

Earlier today his picture was directly next to https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68438582, was tempted to cut and paste around

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
OK so Rochdale voted in Galloway (the only choice) to show their disproval of Israel being a bunch of massive cunts because there was no one else with that view.

I'm dying on this hill before giving credit to Georgre for being pro Palestine. Everything smells like a grift with him.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i think that's the truth of the matter yeah

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Tai posted:

OK so Rochdale voted in Galloway (the only choice) to show their disproval of Israel being a bunch of massive cunts because there was no one else with that view.

I'm dying on this hill before giving credit to Georgre for being pro Palestine. Everything smells like a grift with him.

that seems like the only sensible take.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing worth noting is that the Greens suspended their candidate because he was an Islamophobic piece of poo poo, so they came out of this with a teeny-tiny scrap of dignity (in that they ended up asserting their commitment to decent values on a national level, as opposed to Labour's catastrofuck of a campaign).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol just saw that the Labour candidate Ali was picked over journalist Paul Waugh, noted centrist bellend, who wrote a column about how it should have been him.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
is being an MP for three different parties a record?

e: or four different constituencies

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

Dunno about the first one but Churchill was MP for 5 constituencies during his life.

Tai posted:

There's a lot of reasons to be sceptical about Galloway as a self-obsessed egotist, this is a man who during the indy referendum declared that if Scotland got independence there would be pogroms all across Scotland against Irish Catholics, which may have been true in 1864 but less so in 2014. But I think one of the few sincere beliefs he holds is he's against western imperialism. Which includes Israeli colonialism in the Occupied Territories.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Julio Cruz posted:

Mosley was technically MP for three parties + Independent (Conservative, Independent, Labour, New Party)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Julio Cruz posted:

offhand I remember Chuka Umunna was a Labour, Change UK and Liberal Democrat MP within one term, though being elected under three different parties is a different matter

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Tai posted:

I'm much inclined to agree. I'll extend Rochdale the benefit of the doubt until the General at least, then we'll see.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I like how Keith apologised for not putting up a decent candidate when Galloway of all people won and his platform was "gently caress Israel" same as what got Ali cancelled.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Actually most I can find is Walter Long, who between 1880 & 1921 was the MP for Wiltshire North, Devizes, Liverpool West Derby, Bristol South, Dublin South, Strand & Westminster St George's. Longest he was out of parliament was between the July 1892 general election & the January 1893 by-election

Arthur Henderson, the former Labour leader, is another with Churchill in the 5 constituency club. As are 19th century PMs Peel & Gladstone. One of the people tied with Galloway on 4 is Ramsay MacDonald, which I would hope boils Gorgeous's piss.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm much inclined to agree. I'll extend Rochdale the benefit of the doubt until the General at least, then we'll see.

That said, I doubt that there'll be another decent Rochdale candidate in the GE (except possibly from the Greens, and they may be too small and under-resourced locally to mount a serious challenge to Galloway).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

smellmycheese posted:

Centrist tears

They are right

Tesseraction posted:

I like how Keith apologised for not putting up a decent candidate when Galloway of all people won and his platform was "gently caress Israel" same as what got Ali cancelled.

gently caress Israel is a bit different to "Israel false flagged to invade Gaza". While it's not something I'd put past Galloway to claim, I don't believe he has yet.

If Ali hadn't made those claims he'd probably have walked it, even with the wider labour party not giving a poo poo about Palestinian lives.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 1, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jim Sillars was a notable one, he was a Labour MP from 1970 to to 1976, initially a quit outspoken anti-nationalist MP but he ended up quitting to found the Scottish Labour Party, which was founded to be an explicitly pro-Home Rule party, & he stayed on until '79 when he lost his seat to the awful prick & dedicated BritNat George Foulkes (who in 1981 put forward a pill called the Control of Space Invaders (and other Electronic Games) Bill, trying to ban them. And then Sillars joined the SNP & was MP for Govan from 88 until 92.

Can't find anyone who represented 4 parties though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

gently caress Israel is a bit different to "Israel false flagged to invade Gaza". While it's not something I'd put past Galloway to claim, I don't believe he has yet.

If Ali hadn't made those claims he'd probably have walked it, even with the wider labour party not giving a poo poo about Palestinian lives.

True, although it's not far off criticisms within Israel that they had been warned about the attack a year in advance and opted not to act on it, which is true. More of a Bush slept on 9/11 rather than he did it in order to invade Iraq situation, mind you.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jedit posted:

It's because he's bald.

George Baldoway.

Edit: Also as soon as I saw his comments about no place deserves Statehood, I immediately thought "this guy is anti-Ukraine."

And sure enough after some brief Googling, he was parroting Russian talking points over Ukraine, threatened to sue Twitter for calling him a Russian mouth piece....before putting out a Radio show on a Russian Network.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 1, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

George Baldoway.

Better than my attempt of George Hair-away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"average mp has 3 stances per issue" factoid actualy just statistical error. average person eats 0 spiders per year. Rochdale Georg, who lives in cave & has over 10,000 each day, is an outlier adn should not have been counted