Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
It's not 40k it's Age of Sigmar, the replacement for fantasy battle.

The 'Stormcast Eternals' have always been the reincarnated souls of heros of all sexes and genders, not just Manly Men. There have even been female armour models in the range for years.
Space Marines are male-only for *reasons* (please ignore the really early female models in power armour), but the new fantasy game has always been more inclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Renfield posted:

Space Marines are male-only for *reasons*

Is the reason that they're all gay men?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The wokes want to make my men only society that procreates via the 'man factory' in the 'man tubs' gay now :argh:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

The wokes want to make my men only society that procreates via the 'man factory' in the 'man tubs' gay now :argh:

Starting to think there needs to be a Warham themed gay club now

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kin posted:

Yeah, I've been dragged to one of two for work events, and it's not as refined as it's made it to be on TV. It's full of the type of folk you'd expect to habitually see posed) pissed in a bookies, except they've (mostly) got nice looking clothes instead of polo shirts.

Cheltenham especially is full of the type of people who go to watch Rugby 7's.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Renfield posted:

It's not 40k it's Age of Sigmar, the replacement for fantasy battle.

The 'Stormcast Eternals' have always been the reincarnated souls of heros of all sexes and genders, not just Manly Men. There have even been female armour models in the range for years.
Space Marines are male-only for *reasons* (please ignore the really early female models in power armour), but the new fantasy game has always been more inclusive.

Nah the current woke outrage is for 40k, new custodes codex has fluff about a female custodian and GW came out and said “there have always been female custodians” then didn’t elaborate any further lol.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Makes me think of the Trashfuture episode (subscriber bonus only sadly) where they interviewed Gary Stevenson of the youtube channel garyseconomics, where he's pointing out how the rate of inflation doesn't really take into account things like food, bills and rent; so when he was asking why everything is so expensive to people teaching economics at Oxford - the people who's students go on to make monetary policy - they're all looking at him and saying "what do you mean, things have never been better."

A poor household is going to see higher costs for food, rent and goods take a huge chunk out of their meagre income, which has not risen with inflation. Overall it'll be a net loss, possibly even sending them into a negative income.

A rich household however is going to have those things as a minority of their budget. Like when you get those posts about how £90k isn't that much to live on and then you find out most of their 'expenses' are pensions and savings, and those things aren't going up beyond inflationary levels. And their income is going to likely be from exploiting higher asset prices, shares, or landlording; and those things are doing well; so when they look at their end of month balance, it's a net positive and only getting better.

That's how you can have rich people clueless about how bad the economy is, because not only does it not negatively affect them, they've set up a whole system to celebrate this driver of inequality, because it's something that they benefit from. Ignoring the fact that the well they're drinking from is slowly drying up.

I think at one point Gary even said that if inflation did include those things, it would be at an obscene, record high and we'd be considered to be in a terrifying recession. They've just fudged the numbers to make it look like we aren't, so it doesn't affect the things that affect them.

The whole episode (and Gary's channel) was astonishing as an eye-opener and introduction to economics and how absolutely blind it is to fundamental inequality, and the landmine it sets up for even the bourgeoise which Liz Truss is having to be actively held back from stomping on like a kid in wellies.

He did an interview with Novara at around the same time that probably hits most of the same beats, but some of his anecdotes were great, like becoming a city trader off the back of a card game.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nah the current woke outrage is for 40k, new custodes book has a story about a female custodian.

The only people mad about it are the people that 20 years ago would have a very suspiciously insignia'd Imperial Guard army painted all in black with red armbands.

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nah the current woke outrage is for 40k, new custodes codex has fluff about a female custodian and GW came out and said “there have always been female custodians” then didn’t elaborate any further lol.

The Horus Heresy is the queerest thing i've wiki-skimmed in my life. Horus was hot for teacher. One lore pic of Sanguinus, i knew he ewas the gayest, and thirstiest of the Emperors boys.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

serious gaylord posted:

The only people mad about it are the people that 20 years ago would have a very suspiciously insignia'd Imperial Guard army painted all in black with red armbands.

Good job there's no shortage of those types in the fandom!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You know I said that DEFRA wouldn't let me hunt seagulls just so I could eat one stuffed with chips but apparently I was wrong.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It was Fulgrim that was the wrongun

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

One entire chapter / primarch is named after a famously gay man's poem about how he's secretly gay.

Honest Davion
Jul 25, 2006
I buy Joel Nerf Guns
Da Orks are an actual functioning meritocracy, with a currency system designed to stop the accumulation of wealth. They are the ideal society.

No I will not be taking questions on this outlook. Yes red ones go faster.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Mailhammer 40,000
In the ten genders of the different future, there is only woke.

It's not "kinder, kuche, kustodes", liberal!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

(subscriber bonus only sadly)

Isn't like half this thread subscribers at this point lol

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

WOKE FOR THE WOKE GOD

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Have any of them come up with a clear definition of woke yet? Or is it still just a lazy catch-all for everything they dislike?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
shorter to write than "politically correct" innit

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

forkboy84 posted:

Good job there's no shortage of those types in the fandom!

I really need to get on and build my Anteefa ork army.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
The London Symphony Orchestra conductor managed to successfully drum up some headlines last week by making the claim that 'wokeism' is the reason people don't go to the opera any more

which I think is a good indicator of just how cynical, debased, childish, irrational and inane the reactionary movement is at this point

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Makes me think of the Trashfuture episode (subscriber bonus only sadly) where they interviewed Gary Stevenson of the youtube channel garyseconomics, where he's pointing out how the rate of inflation doesn't really take into account things like food, bills and rent; so when he was asking why everything is so expensive to people teaching economics at Oxford - the people who's students go on to make monetary policy - they're all looking at him and saying "what do you mean, things have never been better."
Wait, inflation doesn’t account for food prices? I thought inflation is defined by a “basket of goods” that includes TVs and phones and whatnot but also selected food items?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

frytechnician posted:

I am so tired of culture wars. So very, very tired. I never want to hear the word "woke" ever again and I want all the people who try and profit from whining over anything uncontroversial to be tossed into the oubliette immediately.

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only culture war.

SpaceCommie posted:

I really need to get on and build my Anteefa ork army.

It's been about 25 years, we need some proper Gretchin Revolutionary Committee models again instead of those Christmas gimmicks

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

One entire chapter / primarch is named after a famously gay man's poem about how he's secretly gay.

And then, when they released his model last year, he looked like Jeremy Corbyn in Powered Armour.

In other news.

https://x.com/HackedOffHugh/status/1780546172785987876

Basically, for those who don't want to click on Twitter, Hugh Grant "settled" his claim with the Sun.

He goes onto explain that the Sun made a settlement offer, Hugh said no because he wanted to drag them over the coals. Hugh's lawyers explained that under English law if he refused the settlement and was awarded even 1 penny less than the lodged settlement amounts he would be liable for Murdoch's lawyers costs which would probably run to about 10 million.
So on that basis, he is settling and using the money to fund a charity going after Media's unethical practices.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

fuctifino posted:

Have any of them come up with a clear definition of woke yet? Or is it still just a lazy catch-all for everything they dislike?

Mhairi Black had the best definition "It just means that you're sound"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

grobbo posted:

The London Symphony Orchestra conductor managed to successfully drum up some headlines last week by making the claim that 'wokeism' is the reason people don't go to the opera any more

which I think is a good indicator of just how cynical, debased, childish, irrational and inane the reactionary movement is at this point
Yeah that's just stupid as hell. I'm no great expert about

Guavanaut posted:

the whole Light/Dark Academia thing
and I'm not sure that I fully 'get' dressing up like a 1930s philosophy professor, but if the subculture enjoys it it's cool, and one thing I do know is that a part of the whole aesthetic is "classical music that goes hard".

Also there's a whole meme around swole Bach for some reason.

None of those people are "too woke for opera", they're just watching it on youtube because nobody can loving afford the opera any more.

But I guess it's a lot easier to blame 'wokeism' than point fingers at late capitalism falling apart.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Pfft, 40K is lame. Wake me up when they put catboys in FF14

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
These days you can't even stage a production of Der Ring des Nibelungen because of the woke mob.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

TACD posted:

Wait, inflation doesn’t account for food prices? I thought inflation is defined by a “basket of goods” that includes TVs and phones and whatnot but also selected food items?
It was something that came out in the whole Jack Monroe / Vimes Boots thing that the things economists use to measure how good the economy is doing do not include anything even remotely linked to reality. Economists were saying prices weren't going up until people literally went and did audits, at which point they said 'OK they are going up, but not by the way we measure them,' which turned out to be some kind of numberfuckery based on projections the supermarkets had already fiddled with.

Gary's episode further reinforced that with the anecdote about speaking to a literal professor of economics saying the economy was good and interest rates would hold, who's stood there wearing a robe in this huge wood-panelled castle while the news is full of mortgage reposessions and strikes and Gary has literally made millions betting that it isn't.

Inflation may not have been the specific term he was talking about, but always be wary of tories saying the economy is on the up, because it's not. Stagnating wages and baseline costs for bills and food doubling and in some cases quadrupling - it can't be, they're just fudging the numbers to only account for it being better for them.

I'm out with the dog (and have to clean when I get in because my parents are visiting) so I don't have time to do a deep dive into exactly what was said in the episode and what precisely goes into inflation. I'd imagine if a basket of food is factored in, the economic effect is dwarfed by house prices and the stock exchange.

As usual it's something a lot of dudes love to explain online, so you could probably just google 'male inflation' to find out more.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 17, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
When I lived in London I used to go to the opera occasionally. I could get the tube there 30mins, get a seat 'in the gods' for £3-£5 or so, & get home again the same night. All on my annual season ticket.

Now, even if I went to Cardiff, I'd have to spend around 2 hours or so getting there, bus to Newport, then either a bus or train to Cardiff, cost of ticket maybe £60 these days - mooch around Cardiff for a couple of hours (because bus times etc), do the opera, then either spend well over £100 on a taxi home again (buses from Newport to home stop running around 6pm ish) or a night in a travelodge (say £60-£80 depending on night of the week), then still have over 2 hours travelling the next day. So we're looking at getting on for £200 & 8-10 hours travelling for maybe 3 hours entertainment? (Same applies for gigs as well).

Inflation chat:

^^^ my wealthy brother, Tory Boy, claims there hasn't been ANY austerity.

Tories: do you think they believe this sh*t? (I don't mean about Starmer, but all those things they list are what has happened under them!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 17, 2024

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It was something that came out in the whole Jack Monroe / Vimes Boots thing that the things economists use to measure how good the economy is doing do not include anything even remotely linked to reality. Economists were saying prices weren't going up until people literally went and did audits, at which point they said 'OK they are going up, but not by the way we measure them,' which turned out to be some kind of numberfuckery based on projections the supermarkets had already fiddled with.

He talked an awful lot about how economists absolutely love averages, and they create this hypothetical average person in their calculations, who they forget doesn't actually exist in real life. Like, if most people are doing poo poo and a few people are doing fabulously well, on average, everyone's ticking along nicely.

It's like the joke about the physicist who decided that he's worked out farming: "First, assume a perfectly spherical cow..."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Economists were saying prices weren't going up until people literally went and did audits, at which point they said 'OK they are going up, but not by the way we measure them,' which turned out to be some kind of numberfuckery based on projections the supermarkets had already fiddled with.

As I recall it was basically that they use specific staple foods as benchmarks and the supermarkets know that so they kept those specific prices low while raising everything else to compensate.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tesseraction posted:

As I recall it was basically that they use specific staple foods as benchmarks and the supermarkets know that so they kept those specific prices low while raising everything else to compensate.

This is the reason that a pack of 15 Bourbon Creams is like 30-50 pence while a pack of five Timeout Roundies are the guts of €2.50.

(Also, I'm so grateful that my toddler loves Bourbon Creams and not Timeout Roundies.)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm watching this at the moment and I may have been conflating interest rates and inflation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcaiTZKlCj4

The presentation is a bit weird. Who's the other guy? Who gets the muffin?

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Tories: do you think they believe this sh*t? (I don't mean about Starmer, but all those things they list are what has happened under them!)

Serious question: what economic policies are these?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Eddy-Baby posted:

Serious question: what economic policies are these?

Who knows! The only policy (pledges) he has stuck with is bow down & worship at the feet of the BoD.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Question IRL posted:

This is the reason that a pack of 15 Bourbon Creams is like 30-50 pence while a pack of five Timeout Roundies are the guts of €2.50.

(Also, I'm so grateful that my toddler loves Bourbon Creams and not Timeout Roundies.)

Who do I bully to get a 150g bag of Twiglets added to the list of things included. Could do with them being at least £1 cheaper

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Just lol if you arent putting everything through the self checkout as onions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Rarity posted:

Pfft, 40K is lame. Wake me up when they put catboys in FF14

Where have you been for the last decade??

Pistol_Pete posted:

He talked an awful lot about how economists absolutely love averages, and they create this hypothetical average person in their calculations, who they forget doesn't actually exist in real life. Like, if most people are doing poo poo and a few people are doing fabulously well, on average, everyone's ticking along nicely.

It's like the joke about the physicist who decided that he's worked out farming: "First, assume a perfectly spherical cow..."

Personally I'm a fan of the one about the statitician who drowned in a puddle that was 2cm deep, on average.