Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I've googled for links relating to that infosys contract and can't find anything except a handful of tweets with no links?
Not that I would be remotely surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

Rampant corruption and grifting and yet absolutely nothing will be done

I tried to find an article about this to share elsewhere, and https://fullfact.org/health/35-billion-nhs-sunak-in-laws-infosys/

quote:

OUR VERDICT
This is not true. The government announced £3.4 billion of funding for NHS technology, but it has not yet been awarded.

It'll probably become true over time though...

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Suckered once again by the siren call of social media. Sorry friends

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I think they should give the contract to Toshiba. Haven't checked the news in a while so I can only assume they're still a reputable company

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
not particularly a fan of retconning queer into characters, but

lmao might be biting something too big there

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

HopperUK posted:

Someone left their phone at my work today and their most-recently-messaged contact was unhelpful

Managed to get an 'ok he'll come get it' from another contact later after help from a colleague who knew a bit of the language, but lmao

You messaged their dealer, my friend.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

And then they came for the unfit, and most of Britain said nothing because they were down the pub watching the snooker.
Nah, they said nothing because sadly most people in this country harbour a deep hatred of the unemployed. Not even a 'don't care' - they actively hate us.

I suspect it's a mix of social conditioning, both in terms of being afraid of questioning having to work themselves, and the entire media pushing the 'make money for us you plebs' narrative - with a little jealousy thrown on top for seasoning.

Some people can be talked into giving an exception for people who are disabled enough out of empathy, but get any average oval office in this country 3 pints in and they'll start letting some opinions escape that would make nazi eugenicists blush.

In normal conversations the 'they should just die so I can pay £20 less tax' part is just left as an unspoken tail-off at the end of their logic. It's something that becomes painfully obvious at any sort of social gathering where you're around people who don't know - or worse, they spout nonstop virulent hate and then go 'oh but not you, obviously.'

The sad thing is, I suspect this'll be a vote winner, and if there's any outrage at all it'll be over who the contract goes to.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 27, 2024

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

mediaphage posted:

Well he's already burnt those bridges, so nothing to lose at this point eh

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Glinner? Homophobic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UOvvyXSBHA

Surely not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Marmaduke! posted:

Well he's already burnt those bridges, so nothing to lose at this point eh

I mean Russel T Davies might sue him for libel.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mediaphage posted:

"Nice" to see the one-balled homunculus has abandoned the thin veneer of transphobia for straight 1980s brand gaybashing

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

mediaphage posted:

Another example of what I was talking about. Radicalised by right wing journalists, became a true believer who treated this poo poo seriously rather than a nudging project to ensure more homophobic and right wing politics and as a result became more and more of an embarrassment to the cause and was hung out to dry as he lost everything.

The thing is that if we were supposed to take all the gender critical stuff seriously then Glinner is behaving how a moral person should. If there is a cabal of drag queens and queer people grooming our children then he's behaving morally. But it's bollocks. It's flagrant queer bashing bollocks. And now he's become the celebrity equivalent of the guy who firebombs the abortion clinic because he truly believes it's murder and is an embarrassment to the cause. But it's okay, because they have the next mark to radicalise in JK Rowling.

There should be studies on the radicalising nature of social media on celebrities and how it turns people with too much money and platform into raving idiots who self destruct their lives and careers over right wing views.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Looking back, even ahead of the transphobic episode it's striking just how much of the IT Crowd was about feeling fear and shame that you might be perceived as a member of a Weird and Unacceptable Subculture, although I guess none of that was uncommon to comedy of the time.

At least it helped Benedict Wong on his way.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

mediaphage posted:

What are Ireland's libel laws like? Or is the wank parrot still living in London sans-career?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

grobbo posted:

Looking back, even ahead of the transphobic episode it's striking just how much of the IT Crowd was about feeling fear and shame that you might be perceived as a member of a Weird and Unacceptable Subculture, although I guess none of that was uncommon to comedy of the time.
The whole episode is a complete shitshow, yes. You've got both physical and mental ableism, homophobic gay 'representation' written by a straight guy, and even a surprise transphobia when Jen's date reveals he thought he could make it work because 'she looks a bit like a man.' Hell he even manages to slip a joke in about being in the 'wrong toilet' twice.

Amy Poehler gave a good answer when asked recently about older episodes of SNL and Parks & Rec where she said or wrote jokes that haven't aged well, and it was a pretty well considered reply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq2GgZ80GDU

You know, well considered as opposed to detonating your marriage, career and twitter following over it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

And now he's become the celebrity equivalent of the guy who firebombs the abortion clinic because he truly believes it's murder and is an embarrassment to the cause.
Fred Clark's piece about how the pro-life movement was always a reaction against "the sixties", where in conservative public company you can state that means "consequence-free sex destroying the patriarchal nuclear family" but in private you can admit it actually means "there are Black people now" is on point. One is the cover for the other, and only the true colander on head people actually believe it's about preventing millions of babies being turned into vaccines.

So yeah, glinner is at the browsing cookware for hats stage.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The only thing is, Davis might be hesitant about bringing matters like this to court for fear that it would lead into a lot of questions about what was going on in the set of Dr. Who when John Barrowman was a show regular and regularly going around exposing his willy every three minutes to get laughs. And how aware was Davis about what was going on at the time.

Of course, this assumes that Glinner still has enough money left to get the calibre of lawyer needed to fight whatever lawyer that Davis would hire.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Look at the state of this bullshit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

An uneasy feeling in the absence of anything to complain about describes most managers.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

smellmycheese posted:

If I clutch my pearls any harder I'm going to burst an artery

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

smellmycheese posted:

Oh, we're doing "quiet quitting" nonsense again. "Wow, this guy is doing what I am paying him for, to a high standard, it's just not on. Do more you lazy bum"

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I find it quite hard to post in this thread, because it moves so fast and often makes me quite sad about the country I live in, but I just wanted to drop in to say

HAHAHAHA, gently caress LAURENCE FOX

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No you need to be equals before you can start quibbling about what you're contracted to do. Stop thinking you're the equal of your boss and think of what would happen to the poor contract lawyers if everyone started doing that.

e:^^ :hmmyes:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Give the manager a really uneasy feeling by taking a massive shite on their desk imho

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
why can't i deprive someone doing everything i ask them to of the money they need to live based on like, general vibes

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

No you need to be equals before you can start quibbling about what you're contracted to do. Stop thinking you're the equal of your boss and think of what would happen to the poor contract lawyers if everyone started doing that.

e:^^ :hmmyes:

Man, I'm not quiet quitting, I'm just not motivated by the lovely job I have only because I have bills to pay & don't particularly feel cool with living on the streets. Too drat wet. My PC would get destroyed

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Scientastic posted:

On that subject, he's flexing how much money he earns on twitter:

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1784207302255382707

.... which is ~£320 per week. :lol::lmao::lol:

At that rate, the damages he was ordered to pay the other day will only take ten years and nine months if he has absolutely no other expenditure.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I feel like if I was able to work from home then the lines between workday/downtime would blur sufficiently that I would end up doing extra bits outside of my contracted hours. As it is, the second the workday ends I'm out of the door with tools left comically spinning in the air like a cartoon

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

if he has absolutely no other expenditure.
Which we know not to be true, unless he has found the fount of free cocaine, in which case he's even more of a oval office for not sharing.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

His Divine Shadow posted:

Guess it affects people differently. I was conscripted and it basically rescued my physical and mental health. It probably helps we're purely defensive and not engaged in a war of conquest.

In Finland you can select civil service instead of military service though.

i quite like that idea

you always get young people who have just that bit too much vim that makes them problematic for society and maybe even a bit psychotic and those types would love to learn how to do professional killing - they can put that energy into learning how to defend the nation if necessary. other people could do something nice like getting to know the old folk or running schemes for the children :)

i think there's something to be said for universal civilian preparedness for war, natural disasters etc. because it was really was a loving disgrace how an awful lot of people got on during covid :/

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Scientastic posted:

I find it quite hard to post in this thread, because it moves so fast and often makes me quite sad about the country I live in, but I just wanted to drop in to say

No worries, IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO SAY: HAHAHAHA, gently caress LAURENCE FOX!!! :thumbsup:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

kecske posted:

I feel like if I was able to work from home then the lines between workday/downtime would blur sufficiently that I would end up doing extra bits outside of my contracted hours. As it is, the second the workday ends I'm out of the door with tools left comically spinning in the air like a cartoon

This is certainly true for me, but I actually like my job and work for the public sector, so any extra labour I contribute this way benefits the wider public and not a shareholder.

Also some days I only spend 6 hours in the office do nothing else, so it all balances out in the end.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
It's so cold I've put the heating on as a treat after resisting it for weeks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it's been freezing and miserable for a while. I wish we would have a few nice days, been a miserable year.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
loving pathetic April tbh

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

kecske posted:

Having a young daughter waiting for you to finish work tends to make you forget about doing anything work related after the moment you finish.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Scientastic posted:

More and more people saying this.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah it's been freezing and miserable for a while. I wish we would have a few nice days, been a miserable year.
TBH I’m a bit surprised I’ve not seen more about it, seems like an absurdly cold/late spring and it’s really got me thinking about climate change loving up the AMOC and giving us much colder weather generally

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Having a young daughter waiting for you to finish work tends to make you forget about doing anything work related after the moment you finish.

This.

Also, all the work I do is ultimately to contribute an infinitesimal increase in profit to the billionaire American family that owns the company, and I find it genuinely impossible to give a gently caress about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

TACD posted:

TBH I’m a bit surprised I’ve not seen more about it, seems like an absurdly cold/late spring and it’s really got me thinking about climate change loving up the AMOC and giving us much colder weather generally

Yeah its this. Without the warm air and water coming up from the south Atlantic we would be getting 10 foot snow drifts like New York gets during winter.
And New York is at the same latitude as Lisbon Portugal.