Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm glad there's no elections here

May 2nd 1945, The Fall of Berlin is announced. Meanwhile in Bavaria soldiers of the 522nd Field Artillery Battalion (made up of 2nd generation Japanese immigrant volunteers) came across a death march of thousands of Jews being taken from Dachau: "The Nisei saw an open field with several hundred "lumps in the snow." When the soldiers looked closer they realized the "lumps" were people. Some were shot. Some were dead from exposure. Hundreds were alive. But barely."

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I'm glad there's no elections here

(mishearing you at the local impotence support group) that's a hosed up thing to say

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The piss diamond is probably the best candidate, as they tend to have decent local candidates, but since we removed second choice voting they stand no chance anymore so corpo Labour John "The Wizard" Tizard it is.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I did laugh that Laurence Fox did indeed crawl onto the ballot... for a London assembly seat, under no party, relegated to the also-rans at the very bottom of the voting slip.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Our PCC is currently Tory, I looked at the statements for the candidates and the Lib Dem and Green ones seemed reasonable, the Tory one was as you would expect. The Labour one is basically just “vote for us instead of the Tories” with not much else in the way of statements.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

(mishearing you at the local impotence support group) that's a hosed up thing to say

Bedford Quality posting from Dr Cool AIDS

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm pretty sure the only people actually calling for this are the usual delusional suspects: lead-brained old boomers and culture war fascists. Afiak barely anyone who's actually served supports conscription because they know that conflict actually sucks in reality, and also more pragmatically that having a comrade who's terrified and doesn't know the barrel of a gun from the handle is a good way of getting yourself killed.

Yeah, as with most of these things, I've never heard any friend, relative or colleague ever mention conscription, it's just a weird confected row that newspaper columnists have among themselves.

You can't do conscription in a neoliberal society like ours anyway, the social contract where people serve their country in return for the expectation of economic security simply doesn't exist. (And also, the barracks and training facilities where conscripts would go to have all been sold off and turned into housing.)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Erectile Dysfunction Support Group, otherwise known as the Bedfordshire Conservative Party.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

You can't do conscription in a neoliberal society like ours anyway, the social contract where people serve their country in return for the expectation of economic security simply doesn't exist.

Conscripted to scoop turds out of the local waterways.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

We've got the three main parties as PCC, then a guy running as an anti-corruption candidate. His page says he wants to end the PCC as an elected position and will not take a salary - which is good! - and then goes on to blame the usual woke poo poo.

Labour it is, sadly.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My dad has carefully crafted a fully-costed solution to the NHS staffing crisis

"all you gotta do, is turn around, pay them all 50k, end of story"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
No paraphrasing there either, that was verbatim

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-mp-voter-id-local-elections-b2538329.html

quote:

Tory MP pleads for help ahead of local elections after realising he has no valid form of Voter ID

A Tory MP has begged local members in his constituency for help after he was caught short without voter ID ahead of local elections.

Tom Hunt, MP for Ipswich asked local members to act as his “emergency proxy” after he found that he had no appropriate ID to vote in the local council elections.

In a screenshot of a Whatsapp conversation, published by ITV political correspondent Harry Horton, Mr Hunt is seen asking for help from members following a “bit of drama”, adding: “Turns out I have no appropriate ID to vote tomorrow”.

He is then seen asking for help from Tory members: “However. There is an emergency proxy option if you lose your ID. Deadline tomorrow. Who would like to do the honours?”

Mr Hunt is the first MP to publicly fall foul of new controversial Voter ID rules which means people must provide a valid form of ID in order to cast their vote at the ballot box.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

I did laugh that Laurence Fox did indeed crawl onto the ballot... for a London assembly seat, under no party, relegated to the also-rans at the very bottom of the voting slip.

Honestly, maybe it would be funnier if gets the seat and just keeps being sidelined in every single meeting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

"I never thought the leopards would eat my face", says man who couldn't vote for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Another Tory entering politics with the Dangerous Surname.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah he did, and went from 38 percentage point majority in 2019 to 3pp loss. Sucks to suck, Festus.

Now see the annoying thing is I want to call him Uncle Festus as an Uncle Fester joke but it risks a more racially yikes connotation.

And yet you did it anyway

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

loving hell that article. 6 paragraphs and the first 5 are the goddamn same

quote:

Tory MP pleads for help... he has no valid form of Voter ID

A Tory MP begged for help... without voter ID

asked local members... he had no appropriate ID

is seen asking for help from members... I have no appropriate ID

asking for help from Tory members

I thought I was having a stroke

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Microplastics posted:

No paraphrasing there either, that was verbatim

I mean, he's not entirely wrong. Where can I find your dad's manifesto?

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Rarity posted:

Went for the absolute worst roulette strategy and chucked it all on Green

As long as it's not a double zero table it's as good a bet as any!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

el dingo posted:

And yet you did it anyway

*sighing and putting on a pointy hat* you've got me

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
David Duke pointy hat or J K Rowling pointy hat?

Microplastics posted:

loving hell that article. 6 paragraphs and the first 5 are the goddamn same

I thought I was having a stroke
Maybe they have to keep restating it because of how stupid the whole thing is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

David Duke pointy hat or J K Rowling pointy hat?

Maybe they have to keep restating it because of how stupid the whole thing is.

By the time Hermione wants to free the elves from slavery is there really a difference?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hmm... J KKK Rowling

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

feedmegin posted:

I don't know, fighting your country can be justified, don't we like revolutions itt?

That's not fighting for your country, that's fighting for your material interests (and also frankly a last resort)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

By the time Hermione wants to free the elves from slavery is there really a difference?
One of them believes that there's subhuman banker goblins who control all the gold and the other...

Okay, one of them believes that there's a conspiracy of doctors at the Mount Sinai Center for Transgender Medicine to turn all the kids LGBT and the other...

No I've got it, one of them writes racist manifestos about halal takeaways and male murderers hiding in hijabs while themself hiding beneath a pen name, and the other...

Well poo poo, you're right.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also given the sad announcement that Richard Tandy of ELO passed away I learned that ELO co-founder Roy Wood of Wizzard's I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day fame was a proud member of the Brexit Party, another co-founder, drummer Bev Bevan, was briefly in Black Sabbath after ELO but was kicked out for refusing to play in South Africa due to apartheid.

You really can see a lot of differing viewpoints from old band mates.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hoping for more Tory Armageddon in the results but dread sir haircut taking all the credit

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I postal voted Green for top plod, if by some measure Labour and Green are split and a Tory gets in (I guess possible given Avon and Somerset) maybe just maybe it might move that cog in Starmers head that electoral reform is needed.

Not holding up much hope

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Open-palmed slam pissed my vote for the Great Brian Rose today - can't wait to have 100,000 affordable new homes built by the end of June.

Lets all drink our urine in celebration

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

This is a good illustration of why all you hear from the Tories these days is that populist, Little Englander stuff. As things stand, they're finished: if they can somehow cut a deal with the Reform guys and get those votes back, their share goes from 20ish % (catastrophic defeat) to 35ish % (narrow defeat, or even a hung parliament, if the vagaries of our 1st past the post electoral system play out in their favour). It would be along the same lines as the 2019 election, where the Brexit Party eventually agreed to step aside in Tory seats, with the tacit understanding that the Tories would supply a hard Brexit in return.

The question is whether the people running Reform are prepared to play the same political game that the Brexit party did, of if they're genuinely aiming at destroying and replacing the Tories.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think they probably would for Boris, but would not for Rishi. Too many of Reform's true believers have bought into the idea that he's a WEF Globalist lizard person, and you can't get that type of voter back just by not running a candidate.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

EvilHawk posted:

We've got the three main parties as PCC, then a guy running as an anti-corruption candidate. His page says he wants to end the PCC as an elected position and will not take a salary - which is good! - and then goes on to blame the usual woke poo poo.

Labour it is, sadly.

Same here, except our independent candidate is this tinfoil hat anti-5G swivel-eyed loon. Probably gonna go and write a bad swear down all the boxes instead of voting tbh.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Probably not going to be able to vote, didn't sort out ID in time. Looking forward to the government having a new reason for calling me lazy.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Probably not going to be able to vote, didn't sort out ID in time. Looking forward to the government having a new reason for calling me lazy.

Well you will have it for the GE which is more important, or sign up for postal voting. The only big drawback to postal voting is not seeing dogs at polling stations

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Aipsh posted:

Anyone got any good Brain Rose getting 100% of the mayoral votes a la Jeb Bush memes

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Ok getting the Thames lined up with the piss pint is an inspired touch

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Pistol_Pete posted:

The question is whether the people running Reform are prepared to play the same political game that the Brexit party did, of if they're genuinely aiming at destroying and replacing the Tories.

Aren't they in many cases exactly the same people?

I wonder if they've learned anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Brian Rose is still a thing? I used to follow him when he just made videos, then stopped when he teamed up with David Icke during Covid