Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Calling Sunak and Starmer 2 cheeks of the same arse in a victory speech is pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Wills killed Thomas Kingston????

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Doing all my best sharia law moves.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

keep punching joe posted:

No use to anyone but there is a Kurdish Shawarma place in Govanhill that does amazing flatbread, and will give you like 5 for a pound.

On a smilar vein theres a Punjabi street food place just opened up on Poole High Street. I walked out of town 3 stone heavier.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Also Camilla is stepping back from Royal Duties too.

Wills on a killing spree

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

mediaphage posted:

also lol could they do anything that would make galloway even more able to seize the spotlight with some antics

The quality of politician we've got left in the UK now is so poor they simply cant see the open goals they're creating.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bozza posted:

this is extremely dumb and short-sighted

if people with "a lot" of money aren't spending it because their bills have gone up, that is a symptom of an economy in collapse. every pub, restaurant, venue, coffee shop, local shop and indy retailer pretty much relies entirely on discretionary spend by people with "excess" money so if people who traditionally were those people are now not those people we are going to see vast swathes of british economic life shuttered

the article isn't "woe is me, I can't afford private school fees" it's "I pay all my bills but they have all gone up so substantially that I no longer have money to spend on other things" which is terrible for everyone. it's easy to laugh but GDP line will go up as asset prices rise and nobody will care that the very essence of society has been crushed

yeah they could save a bunch of money to get a cheaper car but they didn't, they don't have spare cash and now your local is closed down because nobody has any money. it's a symptom of a society with deep sickness in its soul which is caused by landlordism, multi-millionaires and billionaires, not by some software engineer on £75k

blaming taxes is also dumb but we need to be taxing assets to the same level if not more so than actual gainful employment

This is a great post.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Angrymog posted:

I had a relatively high speed crash in my previous smart fortwo (a car in front of me lost control and came sideways across my lane), hitting them in the side I think. Mine was the smallest of the three cars involved, and I was the least injured person, with only a cut to my knee. Mine was also the only car where the side windows hadn't broken.

Car accidents and the injuries to occupants inside are entirely down to what angle of the impact and what the speed differential is. Cars are pretty safe at driving head on into stationary objects up to like 40-50mph these days, but a car hitting you in the side when you're both doing 50+ is going to cause a lot of damage. iirc most deaths involving car crashes come from either vast differences in weight (Truck into the back of a car in traffic etc) or head on crashes caused by risky overtakes. It doesnt really matter what you're driving in those situations. In normal day to day accidents you would usually want to be in the bigger car and I think injury statistics back that up.

So a 4x4 is usually safer than a Smart car, but then a Volvo estate would be too.

And on the subject of childcare, every nursery in reasonable driving distance from our house costs more than £1600 a month for 40 hours a week of care. The fact childcare isnt free in this country is an absolute crime and yes I'm only posting about it now because it affects me, because I honestly had no loving clue it was that expensive.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kin posted:

I'll need to double check the figures for that.

Punching stuff in from memory is taking our monthly payments from £960 to £1650 which is.... not good.

That should only be happening if you're coming off a 1% mortgage to a 5-6%.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

smellmycheese posted:

“Conceptual Wank Prison” another strong thread title contender

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dabir posted:

Anecdotally, I'm in an LTN and the main effect I've noticed is that none of the assholes who drive around in really loud cars advertising their tiny dicks get to go down the road where the local councillor lives. My hairdresser has told me footfall to her business has cratered since the scheme went through, and a local sports shop that had been there for 80 years upped sticks and moved to the Jewellery Quarter. And also one of the main roads feeding into the high street is even more jammed up with traffic at busy hours than it used to be, and all the residents along there have signs in their windows saying NO TO LTN, WE DESERVE CLEAN AIR TOO. And it's not related, but while I'm griping about traffic management, another local street has jams three times daily, because nobody parking there bothers to get their loving wheels on the pavement, so it's effectively a one lane road with traffic trying to go both ways.

Doesn't affect me much though, I was already walking and taking buses.

LTNs get blamed for these things whether it's true or not. Your hairdressers business has cratered but then so has most service industry in the last few months.

Traffic is busy, but it always has been. You just notice it now.

This is literally what the study has found.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The full picture looks more believable

At first. But if you notice the kid on the left has his fingers very noticeably crossed. Its subtle but so do the other kids I think? What "good luck" could they be needing to wish for? Very suspicious.

What the gently caress is up with that right hand. Who crosses their fingers by putting the middle finger over your ring and then it looks like the index finger is amputated.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Microplastics posted:

NJAN99 likes Britain because construction materials and labour and plant rent are so cheap, and regulations are so forgiving

Plant rent is pretty good but the price of sheet material is like 200% what it was before the pandemic. Its criminal.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kecske posted:

"I've been very clear" absolutely instaneously boils my piss every time I see or hear it because it's always followed by impenetrable roundabout noncommittal nonsense. It happens often enough that you could call it Pissboil's Law or something.

Its a phrase Theresa May used constantly and every media interview since she started doing it has it in at least once. Its soundbyte politics again.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lmao the world is stupid as hell today.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Whole worlds gone mad

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

fuctifino posted:

e: The bad Enoch has just spoken out about the Tory donor's racism

https://twitter.com/KemiBadenoch/status/1767586271432421461

Shes really hedging that theres a leadership election before May

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gorn Myson posted:

Only a matter of time before they brought that one out, I'm surprised Starmer didn't get to it first.

I always thought it was a Thatcher saying.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Labour really trying to fund raise using Diane Abbotts name while keeping her suspended.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm not sure if there's a full plumbing thread but this is a minor problem so I thought I'd ask here.

I have an heated towel rail in my bathroom that is leaking. It's a slow leak, just the occasional drip from what I can see. How do I fix it?

The leak is coming, from what I can tell, from the thick horizontal cylinder pointing into the center of the radiator.

This will be my first time doing any plumbing so step by step instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You'll probably need a new valve. They're not expensive and a plumber can do it in under an hour so its not that bad. If they can lock the heating loop off before the towel rail they wont even need to drain the system and refill.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'll do pretty much anything around the house but plumbing is one thing I dont touch because you can think what you've done is absolutely fine and then a few years later your ceiling caves in because its been leaking slowly the entire time.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

smellmycheese posted:

soooooo... anyone want to weigh in on the world of bankruptcy? Didnt particularyl want to bring it to the thread but my wife has robbed my business account, taken out fraudulent loans in my name etc. I am essentially hosed and need to declare bankruptcy

You need to call the Police and your bank in that order.

After that I would engage with a solicitor.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Mans been robbed. Best thing he can do is get the police involved and they can freeze assets and at least try and recover something. Prolific gamblers have loads of accounts to get around the spend/loss limiters so there may be some money to claw back.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Also reporting a crime opens up various avenues for legal advice. A lot of solicitors are happy to advise you on what your options are for a very small fee, if not free if you are a victim of a crime.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

smellmycheese posted:

Oh and I’m gonna have to go bankrupt due to the online gambling leeches who corrupted my wife. Anyone got any experience or advice?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055386&userid=217065&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post538424776

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The amount of fake car ads on facebook marketplace is absolutely ridiculous. They're all written the same too. - 'Price for quick sale, pet free, no dings dents or marks, perfect condition' etc. Its bonkers how many there are. I guess the scam is to get people to pay by bank transfer or something?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

DreddyMatt posted:

I think it's a scam where you pay a deposit/holding fee to take it off the market before you pay the rest when you pick it up, but obviously once pay the fee the account disappears and so does your money

Also the accounts selling them are all clearly hacked too.

I dont think a little old lady drives a mint condition M3 but power to her if she does.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I dunno about you guys but ive never had a twitter meltdown feature as the top story on the bbc news.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I like when I go to the bbc.co.uk site and for 2 seconds it shows all the insane stupid bullshit headlines before I get redirected to bbc.com which shows actual news

Mate it's still top 3 on the news site too

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Microplastics posted:

It's kinda funny how she could have lived and died beloved by all, but went and torched her own legacy because of a twitter addiction

Her plan was to have another long career with the crime novels but they're poo poo so she's got nothing better to do now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is there a way to track down Pensions you've paid into over the years?

I cannot for the life of me find any information on the pension I was paying into 15 years ago. I cant even remember the company who was running it to try calling them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Thank you!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm telling you any minute now we will look very sturnly at our arms sales to Israel.
and then nod satisfactory at the invoice amount

Have they worked out if we sold them the missiles that killed our citizens?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Getting a bit weird in here.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
We got given the red book in the hospital and ever since i've been paranoid about losing it.

It'd be nice to know things were backed up somewhere.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Our head of IT was part of the NHS when they last tried the centralised database stuff and he has absolute horror stories. It would take decades to get every trust on the same system.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Theres much more experienced IT people in here than me so I'm only posting what the guy at work has told me, and maybe misremembering some of it, but he said in the Dorset Hospitals Trust there was a different system for Bournemouth and Pooles A&E Reception just for logging patients in.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Weird how the second David Lammy grows a spine Ofcom suddenly launches an investigation into his radio show while studiously ignoring all the tories on GB News.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kin posted:

As someone who's only ever really dealt with Microsoft products, is all that craziness down to the NHS being run like a mini privatised kingdom where different areas have different systems because such and such's mate had a "software solution" to sell.

So rather than one centralised IT system letting everything talk to eachother, you've got hundreds all functionally doing the same thing but with basic incompatibilities?

Isnt this exactly what happens when you give people the option to do whatever they want?

Like even in my company the sales team would pick a different system to the finance team, because every system has its strengths and weaknesses and its usually a compromise unless you have infinite resources to shell out building something completely bespoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Rayners hosed then.

Just put out a statement saying she'll step down if shes found to have broken the rules.