Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PawParole posted:

galloway pm by 2030

I can respect a man who stands by his posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
just so I'm understanding correctly, Harry's murdering his way to the throne, right?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

kingturnip posted:

It is getting hard to tell who in this thread is still engaging with the 'Kate is dead' conspiracy for the ironic lols and who's genuinely invested.

why not both

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I think you'll find that "lavatory" started as a policy recommendation and eventually they mistakenly removed the space

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Maugrim posted:

I do the "highest interest rate off MSE" thing - be prepared to move your money around every so often as interest rates change. I quite like the app-only ones like Zopa and Tandem but I only tried them in the first place because they were offering very competitive rates.

Think about how much you need to access the money and when - you can often get better rates if you accept restrictions like "can only withdraw 3 times a year" or "must give 30 days notice". If you're looking for long term (decade +) investment, consider putting it into stocks rather than cash.

Don't put more than 85k with a single bank (across all your accounts with them) because that's all the FSA guarantees you'll get back if it collapses.

That seems... low. I guess the US is particularly good on insuring bank deposits? (guarantee is theoretically 250k, in practice virtually infinite but if you're in that sweet spot between a mere two hundred and fifty thousand dollars and a million or so, it's something you might consider thinking about)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

El Grillo posted:

Hello UKMT, anyone in here own an EV? I'm trying to work out whether Octopus or Ovo's ev tariffs are awful or not and my brain hurts. p.s. the energy prices regime in this country is so loving stupid

I don't know if it's a relevant thing for the UK but I have a friend who got a Chevrolet Bolt a bit ago after his car was totaled and he adores it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Huh, terminally online twitter people are currently arguing that nuclear war would be 'fine'

https://twitter.com/eigenrobot/status/1769403899318829467?t=L5GrkQL4pkyB0BAKKWODcA&s=19

future capital of the USA:

Reno, Nevada

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

uh, bad news about that purple triangle slightly north of carson city...

future capital of the USA:

somewhere less distinguished than Reno, Nevada

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Angepain posted:

room full of tories banging on the tables. they're probably all going "eeeeaaaahhhhh" and "aaaaaaaayyyyyy" and whatever. at least 70% of the people in this room have been blind drunk since 9am. this is where the democracy happens

I very specifically remember that my first serious engagement with this thread was during the phone hacking hearings, and one of my first questions was "so uh what's up with the zombie groans, is this normal parliamentary operation"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

It's not just a numbers game though is it? A lack of housing has significant real world impacts for people.

This Sky News piece is a bit of a shill for the rental market but a good representation of what struggle for housing looks like for a lot of people.

https://youtu.be/f_iq7B0trZQ?si=Ybi9WyR6thYejC_R

Also if you buy a house on the edge of a village or town with a few services and it's not in an AONB or Green Belt or National Park then you should be aware that there's a decent likelihood someone might be building houses around you.

i know what you mean but i imagine going to sleep with your kids in a tent for a backyard camping trip and waking up to discover a bunch of busy carpenters putting up walls around it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I am, sigh, with starmer on this one, if this is the normal color of the collar

it's visually confusing with that background

(so maybe change the background)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

crispix posted:

yeah can we get the timeout removed pls?

it's seriously impeding my shitposting here :mad:

I meant to run it for a shorter time (just long enough to notice) as a lame April Fools thing and then forgot to pull it, sorry

Got it a bit ago

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I'm... not certain about the sourcing on the reason. I assume the subsidiary was sold and the arms manufacturing is in fact shut down because it wouldn't be very hard to disprove either of those claims, but afaict the source for "they shut it down because of our direct action" is the direct action organization's claim that they received a message from the new owner that they shut it down because of the direct action.

On a first pass the other reporting is entirely from other sympathetic outlets citing the action org.

Dabir posted:

"Alexa, illustrate the concept of an Overton Window"

I cant believe i have to explain this but he's trolling

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

looks like elbit has been screwed with by direct action in both the US and UK since even before the start of hostilities and it ratcheted up after Oct 7 for obvious reasons. I could buy that it was costly enough to make them not like the math. I'm still not seeing anything public from the actual companies or anything like that.

page snipe broke my followup away from the op :(

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

oh I don't think it's funny trolling, I got caught in the backblast of a previous one many moons ago (that in fairness he asked about before posting and like a dumbass, I shrugged and said sure)

I guess it's good that I posted then

anyway I don't have a census of mod opinions on Gaza but it's trivially true that I'm on the "ceasefire now, one state solution with truth and reconciliation model would be nice" boat so that's at worst one end of the continuum

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

actually I do have Britain content other than source jiggerypokery, this came across my feed earlier today (sorry if it was already posted, tried to look]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68726852

(first draft of?) food import tariffs have been released and looks like people are cranky

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Please, do not post your AI-generated erotica in this thread. Or any thread.

backseat modding :ohdear:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/SoupTransphobes/status/1777830992935301166

Randomized controlled trial where everyone gets a random genital adjustment and isn't allowed to look until after the study is over.

Yeah for this and a fair few other medical issues, double blind controlled studies aren't just things that haven't been done, they're actually unethical.

see: the tuskegee syphilis experiments, which were pretty scientifically rigorous and also crimes against humanity

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mebh posted:

I'm here for Crispix being an IK as well. He's a good egg.

Seems fine by me, I'll propose it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Today I also discovered that venison farming in the UK is a whole thing. Over here the usda inspection process for deer is apparently a really annoying hassle, so almost nobody raises them commercially and it's either expensive or sourced from individual hunters you happen to know.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

mediaphage posted:

this is wrong sorry, it’s a growing industry in the us (and canada) too

Well, good! I didn't really know beans about it beyond the hunter thing before today.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

oral thrush if you don't use expensive non-prescription mouthwash afterwards

whenever i see a reference to oral thrush i just assume it's your mouth being full of small brown birds

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

crispix posted:

thank you kind people who recommended me for thread idiot lord protector

for real this should be a friendly and nice place to post and anyone coming along in bad faith to ruin that vibe will be shitcanned from here on :)

couple quick tips since I'm fine with adding a couple more and may as well do it here rather than in pms:

- you can edit thread titles and maybe do other things (slowmode?)
- six hour probations are autoapproved and you have buttons for queueing anything, but in practice anything above a day should probably be made our problem unless a chain probe for a bit would be extremely funny
- you can't get an automatic new sixer until the person's existing probation runs out, this gets especially confusing for IKs who get promoted to mods and have six hour placeholder probations embedded in muscle memory
- IKs can't see reports, for the protection of your sanity

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Back. The gently caress. Off.

well yeah it's a bad idea

I don't remember if IKs can do polls and anyway the code for that is wacky-rear end, you can only ever have one (1) poll in a thread unless you ask the admins to delete it

don't remember if iks can sticky threads but there's obviously no real reason to sticky this one, it's both regional and active

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I also have "move" and "gas" buttons and it would be weird for iks to have those, which doesn't mean they don't

please do not gas the ukmt

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Angepain posted:

IKs should be able to move the thread to other forums as a punishment. if you all don't stop misbehaving i'm moving this whole thing to, oh, I don't know, YOSPOS

fun fact, I actually don't know if IK roles would travel with the thread

I bet the byob spaceship knows

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Come on side effect of SSRI meds for depression & anxiety is an increased risk of suicidal thoughts, especially in the first 4-8 weeks on them. Combine that with another common side effect, erectile dysfunction, & starting SSRIs can be a pretty bad time.

I do sometimes wonder if they don't just intentionally make medicine with ironic side effects.

i took em for anxiety and they sucked for me personally

discomfort, seizure risk

fortunately i appear to be in the basket of like 20% of anxiety sufferers where l-theanine, the magical chemical in green tea, is... magical. some brilliant japanese feller figured out how to isolate it some decades ago. Normal people and 80% of anxiety sufferers? It's pleasantly calming. Me and my ilk? it's miraculous (presumably because we have a deficiency in the brain chemical it stimulates)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Crispix not even 24 hours as IK and already the English are battering the poo poo out of each other.

another reason to appoint more IKs

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

crispix posted:

you can't Constanza a threadban :/

queued something for many many violations of a well-deserved threadban but if that doesn't go through in the next three hours feel free to issue the next placeholder

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

As I recall it was basically that they use specific staple foods as benchmarks and the supermarkets know that so they kept those specific prices low while raising everything else to compensate.

in that case they're bad economists and i'm disappointed

trying to come up with accurate inflation measures is really important and most developed countries spend quite a lot of time and intellect on it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It seems unfair to expect crispix to do all the work.

can't drop a day without admin approval unless I catch him unprobed, at which point they may as well push button on the longer one

e oops misread carry on

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 17, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

This is a good point. Weird behaviour in any other circumstance. Perhaps a full and frank apology for the original offence, and a description of the lessons learnt?

I believe they can change, I just don't want to get hurt again.

fwiw I think this is a valid appeal model for permabans, it just... rarely comes up

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Okay, what's her username?

I knew banning Pissflaps would have unforeseen consequences

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

kecske posted:

what about if you give a false password to trigger the 'incorrect password attempt > phone is wiped' feature that iOS has? I don't remember if android has it natively

then they can probably do you fo destroying evidence

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

First deportation to Rwanda has taken place :toot:

I know a guy from Rwanda who is very in favor of the plan because if I understand correctly the UK is paying them (e: Rwanda) about as much as it would cost to get an asylum seeker settled in the UK, for the onerous job of accepting generally educated and/or otherwise skilled labor immigrants

so good job on the Tories for giving back to former colonized nations :)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Paladinus posted:

An entire flight for one guy? I'm not sure all conservative voters will be happy with that.

I assume it was just a normal commercial flight to Kigali