Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Water should not be privatised imo

Happy birthday to meeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Lmao

Maugrim posted:

Happy birthday to meeee

I so deeply want to see Labour eat poo poo.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
In non-pastry food chat, what's the simplest way to start a slow cooker chicken stew? I have some frozen chicken thighs defrosting in the microwave and a bunch of slightly elderly vegetables I'm planning to use but I'm not much of a cook and online recipes include a lot of confusing and probably unnecessary poo poo, help me goons

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

smellmycheese posted:

Cut the thighs into chunks and fry in butter to brown. Remove from pot. Add carrot, celery , onion and gently fry that in butter until golden, add a level tablespoon of flour and stir in. Add a glass of white wine if you want, otherwise just add 500 ml chicken stock. Return the chicken to pot

Add some fresh herbs, mushrooms, whatever you’ve got. Stick in oven or simmer on hob.

Thank you - the thighs have both skin and bone, I was hoping I could just chuck them in the slow cooker at the appropriate point and let the cooking do the work of getting the meat off and take the bones out at the end.

Recipes do seem consistent about browning the chicken before putting it in the pot though so that's a start

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

smellmycheese posted:

Yeah that’s fine. Brown them whole and bung em in. Use more stock. You know what’s great too? Bung in some pearl barley if you have it

I do have it! That's a great thought.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Mebh posted:

I'm just wondering how the chicken thighs went.
Last time I put whole chicken thighs in a slow cooker I got bone soup. Tasty, but inedibly bony.

It was fine, they were nicely falling apart so I could just pull out the bones while serving. Each thigh had one straight bone and one gristle cap - admittedly the latter were a bit of a pain to find amongst all the white veggies I had in there.

My main issue was undersalting the whole thing but we fixed that in post

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

OwlFancier posted:

It's like when you read old victorian stories about how the high society types spend all their time at "the club" which is an endless series of drawing rooms and wood paneling with the terminally affluent milling about in them because that's just what they do.

Having a brother who was at one time a member of the Reform Club I can assure you the clubs were and are incredibly effective vehicles for networking amongst toffs. It's all part of how they keep each other rich and everyone else poor

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

His Divine Shadow posted:

But apparently there are ways to get lots more money and they're just giving money to the banks right now, around 23:30 britain talk starts.

You say that as if it's going to be news to anyone in this thread.

It's always nice to hear an economist say it though.

Pre-edit: whoa they changed the quote blocks in the awful app, so weird

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I thought healthcare here was no good?

Yuck. Bad post.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

some very nasty, negative posters in tonight. Maybe the Uk isnt all its cracked up to be.

Just one that I can see.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

serious gaylord posted:

What the gently caress is up with that right hand. Who crosses their fingers by putting the middle finger over your ring and then it looks like the index finger is amputated.

(Not making an amateur diagnosis here, just commenting) Finger crossing can be a form of "acceptable stimming" for masking autistics. It was flagged up in my daughter's assessment - I hadn't previously noticed it so thought it was interesting.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
My 4 year old daughter, diagnosed ASD, definitely masks at school. We came in forewarned (as her mum is also autistic and very cognisant of the struggles having had a traumatic time at school in the benighted 80s) and her school have been incredibly helpful in accommodating her needs (reduced hours, chill-out time, ear defenders etc) even though she seems "fine" and happy when she's there.

Reading that thread is simultaneously reassuring (in that I believe we're doing a good job keeping school a minimally traumatic experience for her) and saddening (as non ND mums most likely struggle with knowing what their kids' needs even are let alone expressing them forthrightly to the school SEND personnel).

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Have you ever watched that Astrid & Raphaelle series on More 4 (it's a French detective series - Astrid is about 30 years old, works in the criminal records department, is autistic and it's really good at things like wearing headphones, not coping with noise, touching etc, walking slightly oddly. She goes to a 'social skills' group where William who leads it is also autistic and taught her a method of counting beans with different interactions so she can figure out when she needs to take care of herself. It's an excellent series, my favourite by far at the moment. (Friday evenings if you're interested). It's in French with subtitles so I have to actually watch it as my French is not up to following spoken dialogue instead of my usual having my ear pointing at the tv while I am on my laptop).

I hadn't heard of it but thanks for the rec, I'll definitely take a look!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Update, March 2023 :siren:

I'm not sure I actually reported the results of last month's committee elections here in the thread, so just in case I didn't:

Please welcome new Solidarity Fund trustee Chubby Henparty! He made a great pitch and secured the most votes out of any of us, and we look forward to working with him this year.

Meanwhile we say a fond farewell to Tsietisin, who has done sterling work as a trustee over the last three years but just barely failed to make the cut in this year's vote.

Times are clearly hard for goons, as our funds have dropped steadily since the amazing response to our big call for donations six months ago. As available cash tightens we'll have to be more parsimonious in responding to less urgent requests, so that we can always ensure people undergoing severe crises will have access to help. As always, thank you so much to everyone who donates each month - we couldn't have lasted this long (four whole years now) without you.

Monthly stats time!

February Stats:

Monthly donations and payouts graph:

Quarterly version of the above:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

If you are someone that is in need, please get in contact. This fund is here to help you with whatever comes your way. If something is causing you stress, pain, worry or physical distress, please get in contact with us. Please do not go hungry or without something because you are of the belief that your pain is not important enough. Feel free to contact any of the committee if you would like to discuss an issue. All matters are treated in complete confidence.

Donate:
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Captain Fargle, Chubby Henparty, Maugrim, or The DPRK.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Angrymog posted:

How's getting registered as a charity going?

Early stages but it is moving again so watch this space :)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

DreddyMatt posted:

This just reminded me of the old plugin that replaced the headline on the daily mail site with the top voted comment

E: this site has some good screenshot examples https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/otm/articles/if-daily-mail-readers-wrote-headlines

Oof. I think I need a trigger warning for child death stories. So so awful to think about.

(ETA: it wouldn't have bothered me ten years ago but having kids of your own changes you it seems!)

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 17, 2024

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Nuclear Spoon posted:

money question: does anyone have recommendations on what bank i should put savings in beyond just picking the highest interest rate off moneysavingexpert

e: i already have an ISA

I do the "highest interest rate off MSE" thing - be prepared to move your money around every so often as interest rates change. I quite like the app-only ones like Zopa and Tandem but I only tried them in the first place because they were offering very competitive rates.

Think about how much you need to access the money and when - you can often get better rates if you accept restrictions like "can only withdraw 3 times a year" or "must give 30 days notice". If you're looking for long term (decade +) investment, consider putting it into stocks rather than cash.

Don't put more than 85k with a single bank (across all your accounts with them) because that's all the FSA guarantees you'll get back if it collapses.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Cimber posted:

Yank here. I'm hearing 'stuff' about the Princess of Wales, but I haven't dived in to figure out what all the fuss is over. Can someone give me a tl;dr?

The theory is that she is either dead or in a coma or disfigured because she was rushed to hospital in suspicious circumstances around Christmas and hasn't been seen since*

* and you should definitely disregard all those reports to the contrary, because if you squint the right way those pictures were all lookalikes or old photos or doctored photos

My take is there does seem to be something fishy going on but it's more likely to be related to the breakdown of their marriage than an attempted cover-up of her death or whatever.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

keep punching joe posted:

Good, gently caress Greggs.

I boiled my bellend doing that once, don't recommend

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Just Another Lurker posted:

Why is it darker than i expected... unnoticed time change!

Just move the clocks 30min and have done with it. :rolleyes:

Or just don't move them at all. Idiotic custom

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Hello goons, I'm trying to sort out internet at my new house and have realised the landline is chopped off at the box where it enters the house - just a short wire poking out of it and nothing else. There are no phone sockets.

I'm also seeing something about landlines being phased out over the next few years? Or am I misunderstanding that. Should I just be getting full fibre? What speed am I gonna need (family of 4-5, lot of streaming but haven't really ever had a problem with the standard copper wire broadband at the old place)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Use the Better Internet Dashboard for much better info these days. If you're lucky you'll get some nice community fibre-to-the-premesis which will most likely give you the best speeds and service at the cheapest price.

Thank you!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Tai posted:

Zen internet if they offer fibre to your house. You'll pay a little bit over other companies like Virgin but their customer service is good last time I used them.

Do you have a zen referral code or anything? Given how fed up we're getting with all the customer service we're dealing with lately, I'm gonna go with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
What a loving weird time to check in on the thread