Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

How did Cowbridge become so posh? It was dirt poor when my mum grew up there.

Wales still has a basically New Labour government. So as D:Ream nearly sang, things generally get slowly better, on average, external circumstances permitting.

I mostly joke, but are there many places in England where anyone could honestly say it was less of a shithole than 20 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

Corbyn hysteria for me started with the outrage over the lack of depth in his bow at the Cenotaph shortly after he became Labour leader. One of the rags (so all newspapers) put forward a diagram detailing the correct angle to bow.

The thing is, almost all the stuff mentioned above coincided with Corbyn’s general rise in the polls. It wasn't working. I suspect if you go back to Blair’s first campaign you could find similar tabloid nonsense said about him.

What did work was a campaign by the Labour right wing. Perhaps 20% of the Parliamentary Labour Party, but including frontbenchers and former ministers, were determined to ensure he lost the election. The tabloids were happy to print the stuff they wrote with that goal, and so the BBC were arguably obliged to report on it.

And even so it was a close run thing.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Well it wasn't just the Labour right, it was also the media constantly suggesting that Jeremy "Holocaust II" Corbyn was personally going door to door in Golders Green calling people slurs.

The ability to disbelieve things written in the tabloids is not a superpower unique to you.

If you look the history of any gunpowder era battle, both sides would always be firing at each other, win or lose. When one nominal ally switches sides and unexpectedly starts shooting from the flank, that is very likely to be decisive.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Jedit posted:

We're not one election away from it.

Like his idol Churchill, Boris’s destiny was always to save Britain from fascism.

The Tory unpopularity he created will probably only last 1 electoral cycle, but that is longer than the ‘Britain stands alone’ phase of WWII.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

domhal posted:

I think they mean "special circumstances" where the government takes over for a while, presumably getting things out of total poo poo-fest mode before handing it back to shareholders

Can’t we have the other version of Special Circumstances? The one that has knife missiles?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

fuctifino posted:

Just for clarity, when I say that Israel has lost its right to exist, I'm not calling for the expulsion of Jewish people. I'm calling for the same as what happened to South Africa when the two-state apartheid fascism ended there,

Note that South Africa still exists. So any legal or moral right to existence Israel may or may not have is not contradictory to a similar outcome. Including one that changed the country’s name and had a rather more radical economic restructuring.

To actually destroy, render non-existent, a state is something done relatively rarely in the 20C; even the Nazis kept existing states more often than not. The Boer War.is perhaps a relevant reference point.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

kecske posted:

also that it would be intelligible, the notes in both my kids books are full of inscrutable scrawl from various doctors visits

If an AI can be trained to actually read doctors handwriting, that could be big.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Not a hate crime, but definitely needs a rewording.

Not a lawyer, but seems likely to be a GDPR violation, and I think that’s still applicable law. Disability status is sensitive personal data, which you are only supposed to collect for a specified and limited or reason, never because ‘it might come in handy’.

If you know what purpose you are collecting it for, then there is very likely going to be a more relevant question you can ask, like ‘do you require wheelchair access?’

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

notaspy posted:

Are there any other areas of medicine that it would be unethical to perform a double blind study? Something like cancer research.

The link posted above about parachutes is probably the best for getting a grasp of the issues.

Generally speaking, while double blind studies are the theoretical ideal, they are pretty rarely practical and ethical. At least outside a few narrow circumstances, like ‘we have a good drug, but this new one may or not be 1% better’.

That doesn’t excuse not having a control group at all though. You can presumably prove parachutes are a good idea because you can look at historical data about survival rates of people jumping out of aeroplanes without them. This tends to be difficult and easy to get wrong, but is better than going full Mengele.

If you don’t do that, then perhaps the only thing you have is testimony from people who jumped out of a burning plane and had their lives saved. Which is not ideal, but it’s also not nothing.

Certainly it should only be overridden when you have something better.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Miftan posted:

Are we sure they don't mean "supported by PPE"?

Can’t help but note they have shadow ministers for both ‘crime reduction’ and ‘domestic violence’. Should probably rename the latter, if you are going to have titles like that..

Also Wes Streeting’s title appears to be missing the similar disclaimer.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011
Labour don’t really have much of a lead over the Tories. What they are doing is performing relatively better against their real competitors, the Lib Dem’s, than the Tories are doing against reform.

This very likely is because Keith was born able to make a convincing impression of a guy who plans to do or change nothing. Which is exactly what his target audience wants.

Whereas Sunak is obviously not in a great position to be able to present himself as a guy who gets really worked up over woke trans gay immigrants. Any time he tries, he seems as pathetic as Keith when he offers hope.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Even ignoring him thinking the RA run Ireland?

Might want to google the phrase Fine Gael.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

keep punching joe posted:

Ah formed from a merger of The National Center party (sounds good/sensible) and a group called the Blueshirts, I wonder who they were.

Not defending Musk specifically, but the general American understanding of Irish politics is something like that the evil British unconstitutionally banned guns. So Michael Collins heroically crossed the Liffey, formed the IRA, and won the battle of Derry Town. There is just an annoying remnant to the North still under British occupation that they will get around to liberating any day now.

This view is not entirely wrong, or at least not much wronger than a similarly flippant summary of the British position.

Point is, when someone outside the UK talks about the IRA, that is the group they mean. The modern, ‘provisional’ IRA didn’t even get to officially inherit their name.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

feedmegin posted:

I guarantee this is not true in, say, Boston.

Edit: beaten to it, but, like, where on earth did you get this idea?

A quirk of the YouTube algorithm means I pretty much always have in my feed some American reacting to the song _Zombie_ by the Cranberries. I like the song, so I eventually click on it, and so in a day or two there will be another. Working as designed I guess.

Thing is, I don’t think I there has been one who, when they look at what the sang is about, wasn’t amazed that there was violence at a time people were making rock videos. They were all ‘surely that was all sorted out when Ireland became independent’?

Of course, plenty of Americans are history/politics students or hobbyists, and so more informed. Having a discussion on NI or the pIRA inherently means you are talking to someone who is aware those things exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Dude you are being disingenuous here, we are not talking about history students. Pick a random Irish-American and ask them who the IRA are. Hell there is an episode of Captain Planet about the Troubles - it's pretty terrible, but still, that was for random American schoolkids. Idiots commenting on Youtube are possibly not a representative sample here.

Not intentionally. I genuinely was going to add ‘family links’ to the reasons someone might know more, but figured that would be pretty obvious, and the relevant sentence was already getting a bit too long with too many caveats and asides.

Incidentally, that episode of Captain Planet was apparently originally going to be set in the West Bank. NI only got a look in when that was decided to be a bad idea for a kids show…