Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Grey Hunter posted:

They get to change their minds in 3-6 months anyway, may as well make a protest vote. Maybe it will shake labor up and ha ha ha I can't finish that sentence.

Aye, it's a matter of months, that's a decent amount of George Galloway.

If they elect him again, well, that's on Starmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i don't think there's much of the left left within labour

If you're still in Kieth's Labour then you're not as left wing as you think

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tai posted:

Galloway was the best choice? Ok point still stands

gently caress sake Rochdale

Labour pulled support for their candidate, the Greens did the same, the Tory went on holiday during the campaign for a fortnight, the Reform candidate is a former MP for the town who lost his seat after a scandal involving sexting a teenager (17 year old) who IIRC worked in his office, which is all legal but loving lovely behaviour, the Liberals are the Liberals & no one likes them, & the independent candidate who came second & apparently didn't even realise he could get funding to help put out leaflets at the start of the campaign. It's not as if the people of Rochdale were given much of a choice. George Galloway was seen as an effective way to show fury over the British response to the Israeli genocide in Gaza.

Besides, Galloway got 39.7% of the votes in a by-election where only 39.7% bothered to vote.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

is being an MP for three different parties a record?

e: or four different constituencies

Dunno about the first one but Churchill was MP for 5 constituencies during his life.

Tai posted:

OK so Rochdale voted in Galloway (the only choice) to show their disproval of Israel being a bunch of massive cunts because there was no one else with that view.

I'm dying on this hill before giving credit to Georgre for being pro Palestine. Everything smells like a grift with him.

There's a lot of reasons to be sceptical about Galloway as a self-obsessed egotist, this is a man who during the indy referendum declared that if Scotland got independence there would be pogroms all across Scotland against Irish Catholics, which may have been true in 1864 but less so in 2014. But I think one of the few sincere beliefs he holds is he's against western imperialism. Which includes Israeli colonialism in the Occupied Territories.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Actually most I can find is Walter Long, who between 1880 & 1921 was the MP for Wiltshire North, Devizes, Liverpool West Derby, Bristol South, Dublin South, Strand & Westminster St George's. Longest he was out of parliament was between the July 1892 general election & the January 1893 by-election

Arthur Henderson, the former Labour leader, is another with Churchill in the 5 constituency club. As are 19th century PMs Peel & Gladstone. One of the people tied with Galloway on 4 is Ramsay MacDonald, which I would hope boils Gorgeous's piss.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jim Sillars was a notable one, he was a Labour MP from 1970 to to 1976, initially a quit outspoken anti-nationalist MP but he ended up quitting to found the Scottish Labour Party, which was founded to be an explicitly pro-Home Rule party, & he stayed on until '79 when he lost his seat to the awful prick & dedicated BritNat George Foulkes (who in 1981 put forward a pill called the Control of Space Invaders (and other Electronic Games) Bill, trying to ban them. And then Sillars joined the SNP & was MP for Govan from 88 until 92.

Can't find anyone who represented 4 parties though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

George Baldoway.

Better than my attempt of George Hair-away

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

"a riding"?! What was it like in the 19th century where you come from?

It's a dead giveaway someone is Canadian

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

domhal posted:

If only Rochdale had been given the chance to vote for someone the columnist considers would make a good MP. All their problems would be solved!

Why did Labour deny the voters the chance to vote for a middle class Oxbridge educated journalist? Paul Waugh, what is he good for? Absolutely nothing

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

grobbo posted:

Clearly now is the time for the Suzanne Moore political campaign that the public have been crying out for

Well as a permanently sloshed TERF she'd fit right in in the Commons

(I don't actually know if she's permanently sloshed, I just get those vibes from her)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Our PM is giving a speech outside Downing Street at 5:30. People seem to expect he's going to cry about the big mean public bullying our smol bean MPs & now he's going to have to bring in some draconian New Labour-esque anti-protest laws.

Well, he's certainly not calling a general election.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Should ban the PM from speaking outside No10 unless it's a resignation, calling an election or something of that magnitude. Just gets your hopes up only for them to dribble out the wettest of farts

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ghosts Love Wubs posted:

Apparently from what I have found 13,460 postal votes were cast in Rochdale, so around 45%~ of votes cast. Which is more than likely up from the GE19 percentages, but that's half expected given the big push to do postal voting when we were in the middle of Covid times. It's very unlikely that there's much funny business going on considering Postal Votes go through a fairly well tested process of being counted. It's likely just a case of sour grapes and typical conspiracy thinking unfortunately.

I'd also expect the number of postal votes to go up because you don't need photo ID to postal vote.

Which I'm sure they'll work to change.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

crispix posted:

i mean yes people hailed taxis around the same time people hailed hitler

but they were very different gestures

Not if our taxi drivers ran the country

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Also Camilla is stepping back from Royal Duties too.

Wills on a killing spree

Who is left doing royal duties now, Andrew and Edward?

They should be careful or people will twig they do nothing but provide page filling news for the tabloids

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

Honestly wasn't expecting to open the thread to see people still discussing this, but yeah this is largely what I meant. Lib Dems, despite... everything, still have MPs, they're still pretty good at local elections and target specific seats. If the third largest UK-wide party can't even put in a decent showing when the two biggest parties give up the seat, there must have been something wrong with the candidate beyond being a piss tory.

It actually used to be a Liberal seat, from 1972 until 1997, but for the first 20 of those years the Liberal MP was a fellow called Cyril Smith, who it turned out was a massive nonce who seemed to have his noncery covered up by all & sundry. That only came out after Smith died, but while he was still alive he was known for another scandal where he tried to cover up how dangerous asbestos was, and it turned out he had a decent chunk of shares in a local factory in the area.

But yeah, the stench of Cyril Smith probably won't go for decades, although it was first mentioned in 1979 in a local paper & Private Eye nobody else covered it until after his death in 2010, so it's still fresh in the memory. In 2012 the Crown Prosecution Services (still headed by a Sir Keir Starmer at this point) " that Smith should have been charged with crimes of abuse more than 40 years earlier. In a statement, the GMP said Smith had committed "physical and sexual abuse". Smith was never charged, although investigations were undertaken in 1970, 1998, and 1999." There's a lot of very serious questions around the whole thing, like police involved in investigations being threatened with the Official Secrets Act, MI5 confiscating a dossier from Lancashire Constabulary, & Thatcher being warned of his proclivities & still awarding him a knighthood. It's a pretty heinous thing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Starting to get the impression the Israeli Occupation Forces are quite unpleasant

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Saviour posted:

I know this type of question comes up a lot. I haven't seen any chat recently about it. I changed jobs recently, and for the first time, my employer recognises unions at work. Is there a particularly terrible centrist melty union to avoid, or left leaning one i should prioritise joining? Web searching the answer doesn't seem to come up with results. Which unions are du jour for the goons here?

So, if your workplace has a recognised union then you'll probably get the best help joining them. Even if it's a melty union, it's the most straight forward. After that, look at what unions cover your profession or workplace. This page from the TUC is a good starting spot.

On top of those, if you want a more radical union then look at https://iww.org.uk/ as a sort of top-up to the more mainstream union. There's also the Independent Workers' Union, which was started by migrant cleaners over a decade ago & do a lot against outsourcing and organising unorganised work places, especially for gig economy workers. You may have heard about the recent Deliveroo delivery people strike, that was them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Saviour posted:

Thanks for the adivce, my workplace recognises the three big ones Unison, GMB and Unite. I've never dealt with joining one before i just know it's a benefit to a workforce to join one. Just don't want to join one whonare happy with the current state of the labour party.

Of those Unite are I'd say the most combative with the current Labour leadership.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Am I old because I knew instantly what film that image is from?

:corsair:

Or do the young 'uns also know?

Was one of the first DVDs I bought. And unlike the actual first DVD I bought (The Shining) I actually watched it. Many, many times.

Mind you, I don't count as a young 'un anymore. But "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room" is timeless, as is Jack D Ripper ranting about fluoridation & precious bodily fluids.

smellmycheese posted:

I regret to inform you that Mustard has gone woke

Johnny Foreigner, well renowned for not being able to handle that spicy British cuisine.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Hard to summon sympathy though, where I hang out I get exposed to a lot of the swedish suburban middle class person and I deeply loathe them and their well off (and wasteful) lives.

Are you sure it isn't the Swedish you hate & not the middle class?

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

When do they get this advice, and from whom?

There's a lot of animosity being wasted on higher paid people when it could be directed towards the tories who got us into this mess. That said, high paid folks quoted should just shut up moaning, it's not a good look.

I assure you I have enough animosity to go around.

Bozza posted:

this is extremely dumb and short-sighted

if people with "a lot" of money aren't spending it because their bills have gone up, that is a symptom of an economy in collapse. every pub, restaurant, venue, coffee shop, local shop and indy retailer pretty much relies entirely on discretionary spend by people with "excess" money so if people who traditionally were those people are now not those people we are going to see vast swathes of british economic life shuttered

the article isn't "woe is me, I can't afford private school fees" it's "I pay all my bills but they have all gone up so substantially that I no longer have money to spend on other things" which is terrible for everyone. it's easy to laugh but GDP line will go up as asset prices rise and nobody will care that the very essence of society has been crushed

yeah they could save a bunch of money to get a cheaper car but they didn't, they don't have spare cash and now your local is closed down because nobody has any money. it's a symptom of a society with deep sickness in its soul which is caused by landlordism, multi-millionaires and billionaires, not by some software engineer on £75k

blaming taxes is also dumb but we need to be taxing assets to the same level if not more so than actual gainful employment

I don't know about extremely dumb. It's entirely relatable. Like yeah, it's entirely true that this country is loving ruined & has been completely ransacked over the last 17/18 years in particular (though honestly the rot started in '79 & more people need to be willing to say that) to the point where the connection between the health of "the economy"™ & 99.5% of people's actual lives has been completely severed. But there's people who do get by on under £20k a year, with families. Doing 35 hours a week on national minimum wage gets you about £19k a year. So if you're earning that, while raising a kid & your partner works part-time while school is on because you can't afford childcare, so 6 hours a day or at weekends? I think you can see why someone wouldn't exactly waste a tear on someone earning 3 times that. Meanwhile an adult living alone without kids on the dole is expected to get by on £9,119.76 a year. People, barely, manage this. Not really sure how, but they do, they have to. And then Scott from Leicestershire is in the top 10% of earners & is claiming he pays too much tax. Cry me a loving river. Lillian from County Durham acknowledges we need public spending but oh, it can't come from those earning £70k a year! Fucksake man, (it's annoyingly hard to find historical income tax bands) in 1973 the highest band was 75% of earnings over £20k, with the basic rate being 30% on earnings below £5k. Which according to the BoE's inflation calculator works out at £50k & £200k respectively. By comparison the top rate for now is 45% on earnings over £125k. People earning £50k+ to £124,999 are paying 45% on those earnings over £50k. And yet aside from a few rock bands pissing off to tax havens in the Harold Wilson years, people survived these outrageous tax rates!

Yes, broadly speaking the problem is that the concentration of wealth in the UK is growing greater & greater, leaving the rest of us behind. The Marxian analysis of their only really being 2 classes when it comes to economics is truer than ever, the people who make poo poo & the exploiters, or the proletariat & bourgeoisie if you prefer 19th century terminology. But the thing is, these people earning £50k & up a year need to realise that they have more in common with the guy behind the till in Tesco than they with the CEO running their company too. The only one in that Guardian article who gives even a hint that he realises how hosed it must be for everyone else if he's struggling is Lee from Surrey. Because an awful lot of what we'll call culturally middle class have no loving interest in class solidarity, are the types of people who are fully signed up to not rocking the boat, of addressing the systemic rot in the system. That spent the 4 years from 2015 to 2019 fully believing that Jeremy Corbyn wanted to murder all the Jews & use their blood to fertilise his allotment or something equally deranged. That looked at a chance for doing something about the rampant inequality in our system (not even much, ultimately Corbyn was still willing to play within the confines of capitalism) & shrugged & decided they'd rather vote for Boris Johnson & chums. I can realise that laughing in their faces at their misfortune is counterproductive, but you can't stop me being angry at them. Like I'm a dumb loving minimum wage worker & I managed to work it out, how can't our university attending betters?

Poor people these days don't have much. Let us have this. I promise I won't be like that to their faces, honey attracts more flies than vinegar etc, but I've only so many of the world's smallest violins to play at once.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sorry, the more I looked at that Graun article the more angry I got. So I just started ranting.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bozza posted:

based on most statistics these people likely voted labour in 2019 but go off I guess

I realise that people under 40 were more likely to vote Labour than anyone else, but if you're telling me that outweighs economic factors, I would be sceptical until I actually saw some data.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Well that's bollocksed my prejudices. How unfair :(

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Like 5 different times

Yes. Austerity is over, this is the new normal

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lid posted:

hey poms we from down under have questions

Matildas captain Sam Kerr called a police officer “a stupid white bastard” during a dispute over a taxi fare last year, UK newspaper The Sun has reported.

Kerr, who has pleaded not guilty and is fighting to have a charge of racially harassing the police officer thrown out of court, was reported to have been sick in the cab after a night out and is then alleged to have unleashed the slur when police arrived.

With the offence carrying a potential prison term or fine or both, her glittering career and millions of dollars in endorsements are hanging by a thread following the revelation of the alleged incident.

how bored are the fuzz that theyre trying to waste time with this poo poo

I thought Australians would get very excited to hear one of their athletes racially abusing someone? Like, that's your national pass-time isn't it?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://x.com/UKLabour/status/1765353639097278687?s=20

The Glasgow Wonka Experience is officially no longer funny

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

Awful loving country, disgusting really

Bookmarking this post for future use, because it's a timeless senitment.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lmao the UK made Boris Johnson PM, hosed up

Ash Crimson posted:

Awful loving country, disgusting really

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

Does he even still rap? I've only heard of him in the context of acting and Twitter shitposting for years now

Yes. Not much, most of his musical output these days is with Body Count, his metal band (which incidentally loving rules), but he did a guest spot on a Kool Keith track last year (on one of the 3 solo & 2 collab records Keith dropped last year). I haven't heard the last Body Count record, but the one before that from 2017 was pretty great, and their debut remains a touchstone in thrash & crossover. Cop Killer, There Goes The Neighbourhood, KKK Bitch, some real good stuff.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The antimatter version of himself

Please do not compare the genius behind Dr. Octagonecologyst, First Come First Served, Sex Style, Black Elvis/Lost In Space, Space Goretex, & not to mention the first 2 Ultramagnetic MCs records to that personification of beige :mad:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Apparently Dave Rowntree from Blur has been selected as a Labour candidate for Westminster. Given the way he drunkenly bullied Nardwuar he should fit right in with the PLP.

I feel like he's desperately failed at becoming a politician repeatedly over the last 25 years. Seem to remember him running for a seat in Westminster City Council 2 decades ago & losing. And I know he lost to Clive Lewis for the right to stand for Labour for the Norwich seat. And pretty sure Mid Sussex, the former seat of Nicholas Soames, isn't high up on the list of Labour targets. 2015 & 2017 were the only times Labour even managed 2nd place, it's normally the Liberals who finish runner-up.

Although sadly Wikipedia informed me actually had a seat on Norfolk County Council for 4 years, so he's not a complete political loser. About the only political thing about him I know is that for a successful musicians he's surprisingly progressive on file sharing

Also he technically didn't drunkenly bully Nardwuar, he was on coke. I'm for more MPs who admit to using drugs in the past, especially ones who have acknowledged it turned them into cunts.

Presumably he asked for a safer Labour seat, they offered him Mid Sussex & said "there's no other way".

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I don't even have to try for another one. Kieth is just the oval office they wrote Charmless Man about.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I hope if he gets elected Dave campaigns for the abolishment of The Universal (Credit)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'd say they should make Stuart Braithwaite of Mogwai an SNP MP but honestly that'd be pretty good, except if it got in the way of new Mogwai, in which case it'd be bad.

I am going to make a bold prediction. The Tories will win more than 3 seats at the 2024 general election.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Small Strange Bird posted:

Isn't the lead singer from Mumford & Sons the son of the guy funding GB News or something equally dreadful?

Almost. It's the former "banjoist and lead guitarist of the folk rock band Mumford & Sons. Prior to this he was in the bluegrass sleaze rap group Captain Kick and the Cowboy Ramblers" (sorry, that sentence was too stupid not to throw in) who is the son of the guy funding GB News & UnHerd, as well as the guy trying to buy both The Spectator & Daily Telegraph, Winston Aubrey Aladar deBalkan Marshall. More I read about this prick the more I hate him, & that's impressive considering he was a founding member of one of the most contemptible bands in modern music.

"While the other members of Mumford & Sons were influenced by jazz, Marshall described the genre in 2013 as "the lowest form of art"." "He was inspired to play banjo after seeing O Brother, Where Art Thou?, switching to folk music and wearing his hair in dreadlocks." "Marshall and future bandmate Marcus Mumford met as teenagers at church, playing worship music at a church group together and in a worship band". How the gently caress do you have the gall to call jazz the lowest form of art when you did the most artless shite imaginable, worship music?

I'm going to stop now before I give myself a stroke.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 8, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Microplastics posted:

This kid puts 11-year me to shame

There were a couple of kids in the village I grew up in, probably 28 years ago, they stole one of their parents work van & took it for a joyride. When they were I think 8? No more than 9 anyway, one of them was on the floor controlling the pedals & the other was steering, because they couldn't reach the pedals while sat in the seat. Always really admired that.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The banjo is an African-American instrument which was co-opted by whites, but has always had exceptional black players up to current day standouts like Rhiannon Giddens. But I guess we're talking about the same thing

Yeah, I mean what's more white than stealing someone else's culture?

The banjo is a really good instrument in the hands of a talented musician. I'm not sure I believe there's a bad instrument. Kazoo maybe but even then.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

is that wes streeting on the front?

Either that or Nick Griffin

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Should be banning anyone who doesn't want to overthrow the "British way of life". Dogshit country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Which countries are better? And how so?

https://x.com/Otto_English/status/1766522204827664389?s=20