Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

bessantj posted:

What are goons favourite essay collections?

The Puffin Joke Book

Essay essay essay, what's grey and has four legs and a trunk? A mouse going on holiday!

And what's brown and has four legs and a trunk? A mouse coming back from holiday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You're right that he has been consistent on Palestine for decades. Some folk on the dead bird site claim he's jumping on the pro-Palestine bandwagon but assuredly he is not. One of his ex wives was Palestinian.

Our Nige's wife is German, isn't she

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

is that Dick or Dom in the middle

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Does he even still rap? I've only heard of him in the context of acting and Twitter shitposting for years now

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

cranking my hedgehog

got woods

a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

someone else string those together somehow I'm too tired

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yet again we run up against the issue of England not really having a culture, merely reactions to or theft of other cultures.

In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary, "come again?"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

justcola posted:

old goons: what was working in an office like before the internet/computers? Was it just rooms of people typing and smoking cigarettes? I imagine it would be such a clatter that it'd make me spring from my desk to see what was the matter.

Also; did meetings happen with less regularity as it was more of a pain to organise, or did a telephone and a switchboard do all that work?

I have worked with some older people who used to work for councils etc. who have hinted at such things, like filing cabinets, and similar skeuomorphs, but I want the real deal. I was thinking of these boxes earlier and made me wonder what the differences would have been having to do everything analogue style.

Oh man, my dad used to have a few of those in the computer room upstairs

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Anecdotally, I'm in an LTN and the main effect I've noticed is that none of the assholes who drive around in really loud cars advertising their tiny dicks get to go down the road where the local councillor lives. My hairdresser has told me footfall to her business has cratered since the scheme went through, and a local sports shop that had been there for 80 years upped sticks and moved to the Jewellery Quarter. And also one of the main roads feeding into the high street is even more jammed up with traffic at busy hours than it used to be, and all the residents along there have signs in their windows saying NO TO LTN, WE DESERVE CLEAN AIR TOO. And it's not related, but while I'm griping about traffic management, another local street has jams three times daily, because nobody parking there bothers to get their loving wheels on the pavement, so it's effectively a one lane road with traffic trying to go both ways.

Doesn't affect me much though, I was already walking and taking buses.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's only true in London.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Green beans absolutely squeak when you eat them, I hate it. They taste fine but god that squeaky feeling on your teeth is awful

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

I weirdly really enjoy that. Feels kinda healthy or something idk.

In the same way that fingernails on a blackboard sounds educational?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is there a full timeline knocking about anywhere that properly documents the entire ridiculous smear campaign against Corbyn? Not just the anti semitism, all of it from the moment he started

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I need something to present that has all of it written down in one place. I've been talking to someone who's too young to really remember it, trying to impress upon them just how insane that period was and how completely the British establishment turned to crush him, and my own memory isn't good enough to properly describe it without just sounding hyperbolic.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Try this as a starting point: https://monthlyreview.org/2022/02/01/anatomy-of-a-propaganda-campaign-jeremy-corbyns-political-assassination/
It's not exactly what you're looking for though.

Don't know whether the Al Jaz documentaries might also be of interest:

https://www.ajiunit.com/investigation/the-labour-files/
+ this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db-Gpmfajp8 which didn't get on the aljaz link above.

Just trying to find a copy of the leaked report for you.

I've seen both of those and the leaked report. The problem is that those are all very good deep dives into just one aspect of the thing and I'm trying to get across just how total a campaign it was.

crispix posted:

lot to ask of me this time of a saturday night mate :/

I thought I remembered there being some google doc that had it all written down, if you don't have one handy there's no need to act put upon

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's a good source which covers a lot, even if it only goes as far as 2016, and I'll send it on to the person I'm talking to. But I feel like the author is missing a trick by choosing to step away from the ridiculous stories - the ridiculousness of so many of those stories is part of the point I'm trying to make. I need something that includes both serious stuff like the EHRC smear report, and unhinged bullshit like Rafael Behr blaming Corbyn for his heart attack. There's also a bit more editorialising than I'd like.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm gonna have to go through years worth of UKMTs writing down everything that happened, aren't I. Man I don't have time for that

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If you can remember individual things like that then just search for them, the Rafael Behr article should be pretty easy to find. And don't forget "wearing a tie shows that he craves power" and "let's analyse how deeply he bowed at the cenotaph".

That's the thing, I can't remember them all

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Weren't there a couple of domestic terrorists who wanted to get him if they could, too?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Spangly A posted:

There was also the domestic terrorist who rented a van, drove from Wales, and arrived too late for Corbyn so ran over an old bloke leaving mosque.

That one stuck in the memory cause all his neighbours said he was an obvious wrongun and had no idea why he hadn't been arrested

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of

fuctifino posted:

The incitement to kill Corbyn can be traced back to at least 2016:

The Daily Heil changed 'kill' to 'dump' at some point for the online edition.

Right yeah and that was right after Jo Cox was murdered

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

There's a ton of books about the rise of Corbyn and "the radical left" and that sort of thing on Verso, if you want to buy some books and read them.

I don't mean to be rude but that's not a helpful thing to say. If I ask someone for help, it's because I think they can provide more specific advice to at least point me in the right direction. "Library's that way pal" isn't it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And then put out a statement saying they didn't want them back lol

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

shoulda told em to eat a yo-gurt about it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Who'd buy em

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Greggs fried chicken and potato wedges are delicious, and I'm partial to an occasional pizza slice or bacon and cheese wrap too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Starbucks posted:

I’m in a new build, it isn’t terrible by any means and I did like the layout of it (which is what sold me on it) but it’s a nice little house in a nice little area. Have a place for my dog to poop, there were a couple of issues but nothing major.

I do hear of a lot of “absolutely shocking” houses being built mainly because of site agents/managers being poo poo. They do have some advantages (good insulation, can put in stuff like network cabling ahead of time, get sockets moved) but disadvantages in cost.

Plus I got a cheap rear end mortgage deal in April 2022.

Not only are they absolutely shocking, they're rrrrrridickerlous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nPU1ziCYOY

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Something something appeal to big naturals fallacy

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

fuctifino posted:

This same MP supports the closure of his local Uxbridge Library
https://twitter.com/tuckwell_steve/status/1772955631240036725

e: 105 is the emergency telephone number in Mongolia.

Steve Tuck well wants a fish and chip shop? Are you sure this isn't a TBEU character

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Brain freeze comes from the coldness of the ice cream in your mouth reaching your brain and making blood vessels constrict, so no. You'd get arse freeze, though

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

crispix posted:

i remember at school the gulls would start circling the playground about 10 minutes before every break/lunch time, every day

i lived near the school and what's even more interesting is they seemed to know when there were and weren't people in the school because the first day of any holiday they'd be nowhere to be seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upqCzKHxWJw

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

WOKE PLAN TO RENAME THAMES AFTER ISIS REVEALED

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Britain is a country full of people who want the NHS sold off, and Israel is full of people who rock up with deck chairs and popcorn to watch the bombing. The common thread here is that propaganda works, and it works even better when every adult has been made to be part of the same organisation as those snipers who murdered inconvenient journalists.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The rabbit is gone, you can climb out of the hole now

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Reminder that the American right wing is stuffed to the gills with evangelical death cultists, who want Israel to exterminate the Palestinians and take control of all of their land because they believe that this is a prerequisite for the end of the world, which they see as both imminent and a good thing

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"Alexa, illustrate the concept of an Overton Window"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Not really sure why Captain Haddock is in the gang of angry lefty stereotypes standing in the way of Wes’s privatisation plans here

lot of hook-nosed caricatures in that "middle class lefties" mob huh

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You gotta respect 99 for handling a pile on like this. He's a notable public mass debater

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

sebzilla posted:

I get this reference and it gives me the fuzzy parent vibes, thanks

Well I don't!

smellmycheese posted:

Sorry. I thought people knew the watermelon was a pro Palestine thing. People have been using it in their Twitter names and bios for a while now. Not that that means there is any truth to the ludicrous accusation about that TV Show

dw the lack of context made sure it came off exactly as deranged as it should do

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

kecske posted:

making it easier for the what now

Hoping that's more the design idea rather than how they're being used in this case. IIRC Ukraine have been using similar tactics to great effect against Russian AA.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah Iran has issued statements saying "We're doing this in retaliation for the consulate strike, and afterwards we consider the matter settled. Try some poo poo again and we will retaliate again." They're trying to walk the line between escalating and signalling that Israel can do whatever they like to them no consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Israel are designated Goodies, so anything they do is excused. Iran are designated Baddies, so everything they do is demonised. Standard right wing poo poo.